Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008/09 Subaru Impreza STI

Comments

• ccd1ccd1 Member Posts: 140
    The EVO has traditionally been the better track car, while the STI has been the easier car to live with off the track. The surprising part of the comparo is that the EVO may now be the better car both on and off the track. The STI's one advantage is that it is a hatch and offers performance with a level of practicality that the EVO sedan just cannot match. Both car manufacturers are inching toward the car I think will be a huge hit with those of us not blinded by name plates like BMW: a high performance hatch with a dual clutch system and AWD. Audi actually offered this combo first (A3 3.2), but the car is too expensive for what it offers. Of the two, I think Subaru will get there first as we know the STI will be offered with a dual clutch system as early as next year. Mitsu has a really good looking hatch version of the EVO and already has the dual clutch transmisison, but no one knows if the hatch version will ever make it to the States.

The funny part is that everyone is claiming that the BMW 1 Series is a return of the 2002. I'd say the stripped down version of the EVO is FAR closer to the spirit of the 2002 than the 1 Series will ever be.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I had posted this Japanese Best Cars video over on Straightline the other day, but the powers that be wanted to feature it here on Inside Line's "Captain Video" segment.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=124262?tid=edmunds.il.ho- - - me.photopanel..2.*

There are other videos here as well. Enjoy. :)

Bob
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Member Posts: 220
    ...was very interesting. Makes the Evo GSR sound like a bargain. Personally those twin clutch tranny's will have to prove to me that they are as reliable as a manual thus the MR holds little interest for me (other than the suspension upgrade).

In this neck of the woods, (NE Ohio) the Subie dealers act like the STi is the Holy Grail of cars and one has to prove oneself worthy of the opportunity to interview for the possibility of buying one. I may just keep my perfectly good Audi but if said dealers do give me a call I will check the STi out.. and same goes for the Evo
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    1 series isn't much lighter than the 3 series.

It has way too much content to be a 2002 successor.
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    Well, the STI with it's 5 doors would make it a no brainer for me, but, that Mitsubishi can offer the twin clutch 6 speed auto and .99g's(!) on the skid pad for less money than the STI is truly impressive. The STI just seems a bit overpriced.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I guess that Mitsu got the bugs worked out of the DSG?

-mike
    The fact of the matter is—there are really no losers here, as they are all excellent performing cars. It's really more of which flavor do you prefer?

Bob
  • psychoartpsychoart Member Posts: 17
    I'm a bit dissapointed by Subaru for not having the twin-clutch system. But I only buy hatchback. So for now, I may lease a Lancer Ralliart until (if) STI gets such transmission system.

Also, Mitsubishi seems to have a better sound system. Why the F*$% would you buy a $35k without the option to get a better sound system? The STI should have at least better standard sound system than a regular Impreza. 100 watt system is ridiculous. Talking about power. Sh!&, a little supped up Dodge Neon will make a new 2008 STI sound like a wimp. It's not just "vrroom vrroom" sound that I wanna hear everyday. I need some tunes, and real one as well.

The Ralliart has HID option and 8" subwoofer. For now, I'll go for a Ralliart lease this summer unless the STI gonna release an update in early 2009.

Now if Mitsubishi gonna update to a hatchback, I'll take the EVO with Sport ABS.
  • psychoartpsychoart Member Posts: 17
    But then in 2009, there might be a new Mazda3. Not exactly 4wd and a lot of hp, but the look should be promising with some interesting new luxury feature to see (hopefully).
    Hatchback only here! It just depends how "hot" hatch is defined. It could be straight speed with 4wd, or a simple balanced and refined car with luxo features at an affordable price that doesn't hurt too much in gas bill as well.
    HIDs can be had for the WRX for $135 from Amazon.com I just did this on my Legacy GT. So the HID not available isn't holding water as an arguement, in my mind anymore.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Member Posts: 220
    "I'm a bit dissapointed by Subaru for not having the twin-clutch system."

The VW/Audi twin clutch tranny requires rather expensive servicing at 40k miles. The Mitsu TC-SST is not dealer serviceable other than oil, filter, and seals. If the unit requires service, it must be pulled and sent to Mitsubishi NA for "evaluation". That would be a show-stopper for me. I'll bet that an in warranty claim would take a bunch of time to resolve and an out of warranty repair would be a real financial whack in the pocket.
    That and the dual-clutch systems aren't really that proven yet. I don't know of any pedastrian ones being used in racing right now (Rally and F1 are NOT pedestrian systems).

-mike
    The first-year STI had not stereo at all, because they figured people would just replace them anyway.

Why not go aftermarket? You can get built-in NAV for half the price.
    Aftermarket nav I think is going away as the newer ones offered are more integrated into the cars. I know in my next car I'm going factory or Garmin, but not an in-dash aftermarket stereo/navi for that reason.

-mike
    True, but I think automakers are doing this intentionally.

We had a nice standard for stereo sizes - DIN and double-DIN.

They are disappearing because automakers are greedy and want that money. They can fetch $2 grand for a NAV system, one which would sell for half that in the open market.

Is the 08 Impreza double-DIN sized? It looks like it is.

I know all but the base Legacy have integrated HVAC controls to make the swap nearly impossible, but what about the Impreza (and Forester)?

PS I ordered a new Nuvi widescreen :shades:
    Which Nuvi? 7XX?

-mike
    I think that the HVAC is integral in the new ones as well.

Unfortunately the new stereos are giving us not only the radio/stereo but information about the car and a lot of them are using it for the HVAC setup as well. I think we will see more and more touch screens being using in the next few years to put stereo and HVAC systems together and simplify them in cars.

Heck I don't really know of many new cars that have easily swappable stereos anymore.

The Boating industry has really done a great thing where they are starting to standardize the size of the GPS openings so you can swap in a different one.

I also would like to see gps power/mounts become more universal similar to a cig-lighter outlet or a USB connection, and then one could pop in their own GPS. I believe I saw that the Jeeps offer a garmin mount but not positive on that.

-mike
    Nuvi 200W. It's the cheap one, just $200 delivered. No Canada maps is the catch, but I have 2 units and the other one has Canada. Plus we don't have any plans to go any time soon anyway.

I figure the way I am I'll replace it in a couple of years, sell the used one.

The new Nuvi replaces my old c320, which I sold to a friend for $100. It needed new maps, so instead of spending $75 for that, I spent a little more and traded up.

I thought about the Costco special on the Nuvi 680, but it would be $480 plus tax, or about $510. It's better but I'll probably wait until prices drop, and replace my other unit, a c340, with that. I already have a buyer for that one, too.
    Got a call from a dealer yesterday, saying they got their first shipment of STIs. So today I ventured over there to check them out.

In a nutshell, I think they look great. Still wish it had better front seats, a moonroof option, and the AWP option. Other than that, it's pretty much spot IMO.

Bob
    That makes sense to me - STI owners have always had to make some compromises for the more hard core performance that comes with it.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    Commenting specifically on appearance, the new Impreza is finally popping up all over the place up here in Fairbanks. They are extremely sleek-lookin' cars. I like them very much, aside from the clear tail lights. Bleah. Those clear tails really wash out the overall look from the rear.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    My wife and I saw a blue one the other day in a parking lot. I never disliked them, but it has still grown on me.

She thought it was too small for her. She still wants a Forester.
  • vad1819vad1819 Member Posts: 309
    I got this one for rent on my business trip to Denver. I'm really disappointment with the performance this car. It's down shifting soon as a small hill. I have to keep in manual mode. I have VW passat 2.0 turbo, so it has almost same HP. VW is much much better car, it doesn't have this hesitating between gears. I have never drove previous mode, but I heard it was better.
    The Passat has 200hp and it a much more expensive car. Maybe even $10 grand higher in price.

The 2.5i you are driving is basically an economical compact, and would sell for around $16 grand.

If you wanted to compare it to a VW, you should compare to the VW Golf 5 door hatch with the base 2.5l engine, which has the same 170hp as that Impreza. It would feel slow, too, compared to your turbo.

The Passat compares more closely to a Legacy GT, and no offense, but a Legacy GT will blow that Passat out of the water.
    Also the passat probably is FWD, so you are feeding turbo 200hp to 1 wheel instead of 4. Much less resistance.

The Golf 5door may be a bit peppier for the same reason.

-mike
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Also remember that the Passat is a turbo.

Turbo + mile high city = :)

NA + mile high city = :(
    So, you right. Why in world do you do AWD with 170 hp? Is it useless car. It's only good for city or town conditions. But if you want use in the mountains, it's absolutely hard to drive car.
    Also passat has more weight, so for 200hp it's shifting quite good in all conditions. In the city I have about 21 mpg and highway about 30 mpg, that even better then this little crappy car. I have on highway around Denver area about 25.8 mpg.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,162
    So, you right. Why in world do you do AWD with 170 hp? It's only good for city or town conditions.

And snow. And ice. And big rain. And gravel road. And little mud. And everwhere else where grip is more important than 0-60 drag race. It might sound like a heresy to you, but some people don't have to be fast and furious - some even don't need to be semi-quick. 10+ seconds or even more from 0 to 60 is still plenty for many. Obviously not you - but that's OK.

And again - be careful before you brand something "crappy" by comparing it to items that cost thosands more. It's just not really fair. Of course those costing more will be better - that's just why you paid more. Take a spin in a little optioned Corolla/Matrix, Civic, or even fun to drive Mazda3 and then make a judgment about engine performance. Yes - it has worse mileage and power may be somewhat less than you would expect from 170 hp - but there are plenty of conditions when most of us would gladly trade 20-30 horses (or more) for better grip. That's Subaru's market. Believe it or not, Colorado is actually its kingdom. So many people can't be wrong, can they? If you really have to have power, try WRX that similarly priced to your Passat and then see if it is as fast as you think.

I have been plenty complaining about WRX, but "crappy" 2.5i is really a steal for the price.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Had a chance today to test drive the '08 STI. What a sweet ride. Take my '06 WRX Limited, and then up it a few notches in terms of sharpness and speed, and that's what you've got. It's also more comfortable and quieter than my car, which is what I was looking to find out. One annoying item is that it has an upshift beep, which I hope can be turned off.

As compared to the '08 WRX, it's a bit harder, but not to the point of it being negative. Again, everything is just sharper and happens faster. I think this could be a very rewarding car to drive.

I really like what Subaru has done with this vehicle.

The dealer also had a new '09 turbo Forester in stock, which I was tempted to drive too, but it was nearing closing time.

Bob
    Glad you liked it Bob! I felt it was fairly impressive when I drove it in Jan. I think a lot of the soft-talk about them is from folks who either haven't driven them or don't realize that smoother is faster. :)

-mike
    The thing is the car is deceptively fast. Even my WRX is that way. You often don't realize how fast you're going. Unlike the outgoing STI, I think this could be a really good compromise for those who want a daily driver that offers a whole lot of fun and with some degree of comfort.

Is it a Legacy GT from a comfort standpoint? No, but it was never intended to be that kind of vehicle. All it needs is the AWP and a moonroof option and it would be about perfect, I think. I'd also like to see an high-performance all-season tire as a no-charge option from the factory too, as not everyone is going to track this car. Yeah, I know you can always go aftermarket, but it would be cheaper to have the factory offer this.

Bob
    Yup I agree, that they should have a real good All Season tire. If you want to go to the track you can opt for your own summers, probably wider than they would give you stock anyway.

-mike
    They offer the WRX for people like you, who want more power.

170hp is certainly adequate, though. Car & Driver tested one last month, or was it 2 months ago, any how it did 0-60 in the high 7 second range for a 2.5i. The WRX pushes that to 5.something.

Neither is slow.
    Hilarious, Bob.

Did you go with the intention of trying out a Forester, then decide on the STI test drive?
    What happened was I walked into the dealer hoping for a new Forester brochure (they're not out yet). The salesman said he had a new '09 XT out back. I then noticed they had 3 new STIs there too, so I mentioned I was interested in them too. He then said he would go get keys to both the STI and Forester.

At that point I released I might be able to get to test drive the STI, as this is is the same dealer that let me test the '07 STI about a year ago. Sure enough, I asked for one, and he said okay.

Apparently he saw me driving in with my WRX, plus the fact that what little hair I still have is gray, he figured I was pretty safe (or feeble). :) I also said I was more interested in seeing what it's like to "live with," as I already know it's fast.

I can always get a test drive of a Forester, but STIs—as you know are next to impossible to test drive.

Bob
    True. Good call.

Plus, it's not like you're actively shopping for a Forester right now, like we are.

Go test one when you get a chance, I'm curious to hear what you think. Drive one that is similar to your wife's 2001, for comparison purposes, maybe an auto X premium like the one I tested.
    "170hp is certainly adequate, though. Car & Driver tested one last month, or was it 2 months ago, any how it did 0-60 in the high 7 second range for a 2.5i. The WRX pushes that to 5.something. "

I don't believe in this numbers. Just go try for your self. It's slower then my Acadia. The shifting problem, that everyone talk about GM CUV, you will find in this car even bigger issue. I have rent this car, because I want it to buy this one. It's really disappointment how to perform this car on entering to highway. It's really dangerous, to keep up with fast moving traffic. Although I say good on ramp, because AWD system.
    The WRX is different animal and also different price.
    I have test drove new VW Jetta and it is much faster car and shifting normally. I will go with VW or will wait for jetta wagon.
    Jetta wagon should already be there. But I bet you will pay for it more than 17K. It may be one just for you.

The speed impressions can be deceiving. I'm not saying yours are, but it is quite common one car appears to be slower or faster than it really is. It's all about gearing, engine/road noise, etc. BTW, WRX is not really different price than your Passat, is it (unless you have the real bottom base version)?

I have driven Impreza, Forester and Outback as loaners (all 2.5i, all same engines, latter even heavier). They were certainly NOT dangerous entering highways for me (and my reference point is WRX - i.e. I drive much faster car every day). I start thinking either something was simply wrong with the car (chip was not compensating for the altitude, transmission had software problems or worse) or you have totally unreasonable expectations regarding acceleration.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

2 things are at play here.

1st, you probably drove an automatic. I'm pretty sure they tested a manual 5 speed.

2nd, you're at a very high elevation, where the engine is making far less than the 170hp it would make at sea level.

Just for reference, you should test drive a base Golf and then comment on how fast that would feel. That's a comparable model and would provide us with a useful reference.
    I agree completely. Golf/Jetta are NA, same power (roughly), same displacement, one more cylinder. One should expect them being a little faster, as they are FWD and 5-speed AT (better power transfer), but they should be much closer to 2.5i than turbo Passat, especially at high altitude.

One more thing - I'm not a fan of Subarus ATs, either. They do feel lethargic. Even Consumer Reports have complained about for long time already.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

I generally agree, but I test drove the new 2009 Forester and the SportShift really impressed me. Much quicker response than other automatic Subarus I've sampled.

Try one out. kurtamaxxguy drove a 5EAT Outback XT and a new Forester and felt the same way - the 4EAT in the Forester was actually more responsive.

Hopefully this improvement goes to all their autos.
    You're probably right. Yes I had 5 speed auto. So anytime I was going up to hill it switched to lower gear and then engine going to high RPM and give a kick to car. It started to remind me my Acadia before trans. software update. I have not expected this issue on small car like this. The car makers is in the tendency safe a fuel, forget ratio power/weight.So we're consumers is getting not really good product at the end. In other words underpower cars, where is not really fun to drive them anymore. So it has two sides 1. to pay at the pump or 2.live with constantly switching transmission. What side we take? I will ride a bike better.
    First, it's four speed auto, which of course makes your problem worse. Second, small cars with smaller engines will need more of those shifts on uphills than larger engines, as their torque/powerbands are smaller.

More gears in transmission is considered luxury (and it is as the price of them are higher), so the manufacturers install them on larger cars with larger engines, whereas it is actually smaller engines would need them much more. Ironic, if you think about it.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Perhaps you're expecting too much for $16,000? That's about was a 2.5i sells for.

You can get more power for more money, just get a WRX.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    How is the Auto in the WRX ? I have knee surgery and are unable to manipulate a clutch for a while. The DSG in my VW works very well. Will i be disappointed ?

Thanks
    DL
    Will i be disappointed ?

YES. Yes. yes. YES. Did I say yes?

WRX 4AT is the most pointless car on this planet. Well - maybe not MOST. But it would probably make the top ten ;)

2018 430i Gran Coupe

I agree and disagree.

If you try the manual first, forget the auto. It's just not nearly as satisfying.

If you just drive the automatic by itself, the new 2.5l has less lag than the old 2.0l. Not only is there 25% more displacement, but also it has AVCS valve control, so it's a little better in terms of low-end torque.

The old 2.0l was on/off, docile at low revs and than a real animal at high revs. The 2.5l still has a dual personality, but the difference isn't nearly as pronounced.

Do you have the 2.0FSI? I think that is tuned for more mid-range response, basically optimized for an auto trans.

I will say this - the SportShift on the 2009 Forester is very responsive. I doubt it's as quick as DSG, but they cut the shift time by more than half compared to the last generation Forester XT (same engine and powertrain). I don't think the WRX gets SportShift yet, though, does it? :confuse:
    I disagree. This same driveline combo is now standard on the new '09 Forester XT, and I'm sure works very well. Do I wish it was hooked up to the 5EAT, rather than the 4EAT? Absolutely, but I still think it's a pretty decent combo.

Bob
    We gotta sample one. I tried the non-turbo base engine with the SportShift. The transmission impressed me.

Come to think of it, it was the first automatic in a Subaru that impressed me - EVER!

Before that some were OK (Tribeca), others were slow to respond (the last Forester XT).
This discussion has been closed.