Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008/09 Subaru Impreza STI

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    It really feels like the engineers designed it specifically for these conditions

I think they actually did. ;)
  • Options
    robm2robm2 Member Posts: 53
    Advertise the tires at your local race track, (if you have one). Anyone that tracks their car is always looking for a good deal on tires.

The Dunlops are a fantastic summer tire. Great grip. I have a second set of rims + tires for winter.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Got it on good authority that this is a done deal.

Bob
  • Options
    I prefer the 5 door anyway, but isn't the EVO going to be available in both forms? So it's a good idea.
  • Options
    No, not the EVO; you're thinking of the Ralliart.

Bob
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    So...I find that almost every review has the STI ranked behind the EVO. Why is it then that every knuckle head in a EVO tries to race me.

I really enjoy driving my STI...Sunday Mornings I take it for nice 2-3 hour drives before the kids get up. Almost everytime I am out on the highway, some idiot speeds up around me, slows down, rips between cars, etc.

I love my car and feel just fine with its abilities and compromises...if the EVO is better, why do all the owners feel obligated to prove it? (For the record...I do like to go fast...but I do not race on public roads)

For you EVO owners...I realize it isn't all owners and this is a broad generalization, but nonetheless it happens all the time.
  • Options
    They're out to prove their *shortcomings.*

Bob
  • Options
    tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Actually in stock form the Evo is better only on the racetrack, which is where I do most of my driving. . . right. ;)

In a straight line the STi will take the Evo every time, so on the road it seems like a dumb place for them to challenge you. Of course, racing should ONLY be on a track.

This being said, with some minor suspension mods an STi will easily keep up with the Evo on the track as well. :D

I'm looking in to replacing my springs and sways and dial out all the understeer Subaru put in this car.

tom
  • Options
    Tom, do you ever experiment with the DCCD? As you know, that shifts the f/r power bias, and will affect handling. Not sure about understeer, however?

Bob
  • Options
    tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Hi Bob

It does help some, but not enough to overcome the inherent understeer of the design. I'm sure if I were driving dirt roads though the car's handling would be more neutral. Not so great on Tarmac though. I suppose the understeer would also help hapless drivers from killing themselves too. ;)

tom
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    New tires helped with the understeer a lot. I put michelin pilot sport a/s plus tires on to replace the stockers. They may not have as stiff of sidewalls for extremely hard cornering, but for reasonably hard cornering on normal roads I don't notice a difference. I did notice an immediate difference in the amount of understeer with the new tires though...it was a worthwhile upgrade.

I am not sure what I should upgrade next. Wheels, suspension or power? I think I will go for sway bars before power. The car is fast enough for me and I want to keep my warranty...I am not sure.

The understeer is well managed with better tires...and I do like the comfortable ride...changes to the suspension will probably make it stiffer over bumps and rutted new england roads. For me...the "compromised" ride that that car has is perfect. I have kids and use the car as a daily driver. It handles great and I love the ride...I am not sure if tightening it up will change that.
  • Options
    Didn't realize they didn't give the 5 door the full EVO treatment. Maybe now they will respond? This rivalry seems to improve the breed, though an unfortunate side effect is the street racing types...
  • Options
    In order to do so, they'd have to move the battery and some other (heavy) stuff. Right now all that is placed at the rear bulkhead over the rear axle, in order to achieve a 50/50 weight distribution; not so with the Ralliart or other Lancers. That's why the EVO, when compared to other Lancers, has a such a tiny trunk.

Bob
This discussion has been closed.