Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera 2008

Comments

• pahefner01pahefner01 Member Posts: 202
    I know that you think your opinion is the only opinion, however, no one has ever defined the term "flagship" and a flaship Cadillac differs from a flagship BMW as a flaship Ford difffers from a flaship Chevy etc. Different cars have different features. The reliability of a flaship Cadillac STS is significantly worse than an Azera as one example. You don't always get what you pay for. Sometimes you pay more and are simply buying trouble. Perhaps you can tell the automakers what flagship means and what features that includes. Good luck.
  • keitha3keitha3 Member Posts: 124
    Wish I had known that there was such a 'happening' going on!

Wonder if there will be an "Auto Expo" down here in SoCal?

Wish and you shall receive. November 16-25 at the LA Convention Center. Just google "Los Angeles Auto Show, 2007" for more information. By the way, it will almost certainly be bigger and badder than what we get up here. Maybe...well probably just dreaming, but the Genesis has to be unveiled somewhere.
  • derrelhgreenderrelhgreen Member Posts: 234
    Re: #s 149 and 153

"You will want to observe the eighth character back from the end. Is it a 7 or an 8?"

"Actually, the auto and insurance industries both identify the model year digit as the 10th digit (this of course starts the reading from left to right, as is the English language norm)."

:)

Actually, I would prefer my way to what the "industries uses!" :D

Isn't it easier for anyone when they are looking at a VIN through a windshield, to count
    backward
    from right to left eight characters for a number, knowing that it should be either
    a ' '7 ' or an ' 8 ' then to use the English norm as you do and count from left to right?

What ever which way you choose to travel, that's up to you. ;)
    But for me, I can count up to eight better and faster than to ten no matter which way I travel!
    Re: # 155

I know about the Greater Los Angeles Auto Show. I'll be there Friday for sure.

It differs from what you attended in that you cannot drive the cars that are
    there, and many times, you cannot even sit in them or raise the hood. :cry:

The Genesis will probably not be there, as it is my understanding
    that the new Hyundai will not be unveiled until December 29th. :(

For the Genesis to be there would indeed be a real treat!

• keitha3keitha3 Member Posts: 124
    I don't recall being allowed to drive the cars up here before either.

But, test drives were available at a small track for Hyundai's and apparently were available to compare certain hybrids as well. They were pushing me to try out the '08 Azera, but I was truly strapped for time. I told them that I didn't think that it would answer my suspension question and they responded that I should stomp on the brakes to shift the pressure to the front end.

I'll be interested if they have a similar offering down at the convention center, but I'm not sure if they have the logistical layout to do so. Cal Expo is very big with plenty of land, so it might have been more suited to having the test drives.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Actually the KDM version will debut in January. The December date was going to be the KDM release date. KDM is the Korean Domestic Market version. KDM version however will have nicer features but with tons of fake wood though. I do think the US version will have the fake wood too on the top end models though. The genesis will get the knob for Navigation, Info, Audio and other stuff. Has dedicated AC buttons though. The Genesis Navigation unit will be based off that LG unit and could have voice recognition. The genesis will be at the Detroit Show for sure. The Elantra touring and possibly the sonata could debut there too. January 8th is the Korean Debut for the Genesis.

Some people quite liked it at the dealer conference. One guy on another forum said it's an awesome car and can't be compared to the G8. He said if you took the badge off it, people would think it would cost over 60k. Interior is quite nice too.

For the first half of 08 for KDM the Azera aka Grandeur will get a facelift. It should add some features. Maybe a new interior. Still not confirmed though. US will probably get it later in 08 as an 09 or a 010 model.

2009 is going to be quite a year for Hyundai.
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    RE: 154
    I have always expressed my opinion as " my opinion". Therefore , I'm not sure of your point. I strongly believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion and like A- Holes, everyone has one.
    By the way " The term flagship is used to describe the top or main vehicle manufactured by automotive marque. These vehicles are usually, but not always, the most expensive, prestigous and largest vehicles in the line-up"
    This is not my definition, but one in the dictionary.
    Hyundai has deemed the Azera to be their "flagship" model in past advertising and media releases.
    Lighten up!
  • tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    1) A fixed suspension, just in case the '08 changes (sorry, "Hyundai rep") didn't fix it.

2) Perforated, heated & cooled seats. Keep your navi, chill my buns. I can't go aftermarket to avoid sticking to the driver's seat.
    RE: 161
    1. The new 040 struts installed in my 06 Azera under warranty seem to be much better than originals. I have heard no clunk sounds and notice a more level, not so bouncy ride. Keeping my fingers crossed.

2.Although not perforated, the Azera does have heated front seats.

I still want the dash mounted nav system incorporating Blue Tooth, full Ipod control,and auto silence of audio system when cellular phone in use.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's get back to the subject, please.
  • alanalan Member Posts: 3
    Hyundai makes a very nice, appealing vehicle. The warranty, however, is very misleading and false advertising at beat. It appears that nothing is covered and a service advisor smiled when asked what is covered. So buyer beware.
    RE: 174
    Although, it at times takes some cajoling, I have been able to get all warranty issues resolved. The have replaced front struts, interior weather strip, battery, exterior black window trim, rear sunshade (twice). They even provided free rental car when they realized that the replacement battery was not in stock.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Why do you say that about the warranty? I have 2 Hyundai's (an 04 Sonata and an 05 Tucson) and what very little warranty work has needed to be done has been done quickly and hassle-free at my local Hyundai dealer. Just recently, I broke a small strap on the cargo cover for my Tucson (entirely my fault) and my dealer looked at it and ordered a new cover that day and replaced it under warranty. :D

FYI, here is a link to the actual warranty info:

Hyundai warranty info

Again I ask, what is your reason for stating the warranty is worthless and misleading? :confuse:
  • hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    I think Alan is a Toyota dealer :=)
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    I guess he feels the need to spread some FUD instead of holiday cheer. ;)
  • drdonrsdrdonrs Member Posts: 164
    I own 2 Hyundai vehicles, 06 Sonata and 06 Azera. I have never ever had to ask more than once for any service that was covered by the warranty. You really are a very suspicious person. Whatever caused you to be so cynical? I realize that not all dealers are the same, but by and large you have to give people the benefit of the doubt. My service department is top notch. :)
  • dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    Here is information regarding the Azera in Hyundai's future product lineup. It should come as no surprise the title of "flagship" switches from Azera to Genesis.

"When the Genesis sedan goes on sale, fitted with a 270-hp version of the 3.8-liter V6, it will take the place of the company former flagship Azera sedan at the top of the Hyundai product line up. Azera, formerly significant as Hyundai's first vehicle to crack the $30,000 mark, will be deliberately skewed in product mix to more models in the mid-$20,000 range. As such, Azera becomes a more dead-on competitor for V6 Toyota Camry and Honda Accord."

Information source: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071115/FREE/71114017/1023/T- HISWEEKSISSUE
    Actually the v6 will make more than 270 HP. Autoweek is getting the wrong info. The v6 was said to make 300 HP (+-). It's a 3.8L DI Lambda II v6. The v8 will probably be 300 to 350 but maybe he is right on the v6.
    Might get to see them by the end of the month. I think they are shipping them as of now. Next week is when they will start transporting them. Could be by the end of november. Navigation is going to be available. Price for the navigation system could be 1,750 USD with the Infinity Logic7 stereo. Ultimate package with navi I'm not sure.

Saw a new 2008 Azera Limited yesterday at the Greater Los Angeles Auto Show. :surprise:

The Genesis based coupe was there also.

Talked one of the Hyundai representatives to dig out the Monroney (MSRP sticker)
    from the locked storage cabinet so I know pricing, etc.

Need build date or VIN? I have both.

The Azera had been distributed to Hyundai's location in Fountain Valley
    California, and then shipped directed to the L A Convention center.

Have brochures, will travel! :D

Supposedly a video for the new LG navigation system is now available. It's for dealers but it would be nice since it tells us how this thing works. LG helped develop this system. Available on the Veracruz, SF, and Azera for now. Genesis and Sonata will get it as well. Maybe entourage someday.
    Sooooo......?

•What's the pricing?

•Any change in visual details (i.e, have they fixed the 63 colors of dashboard illumination)?

•Did the show car have navi?
    Looking at those '09 Sonata pix, it's hard to ignore that it's hopped on the Veracruz bandwagon with that spiffy blue illumination for the radio and HVAC controls. Makes the lime-green leftovers in the current Azera look pretty sick by comparison.

That alone would make an Azera facelift almost worth waiting for, though better still if Hyundai simply fixed it as they did with the orange trip computer.
    Re: # 185

Sooooo......?

What do you mean sooooo...... ?

•What's the pricing?

Same as the 2007s as near as I can tell!

•Any change in visual details (i.e, have they fixed the 63 colors of dashboard illumination)?

No. It looks the same to me. The dash lights were not on.

•Did the show car have navi?

Nyet! :D

US Azera sales as published on Hyundai's website:
    C/Y '06: 24,354
    Jan-Nov '07: 20,351

A great car / value that never got off the ground but proved to Korea, "yeah, we can do this".

While a near-lux FWD 6 will perhaps appeal to a different consumer than the soon to be released full-lux RWD Genesis with V8 option, I find it odd the '08 Azera still is not available for sale in the US.

The entry level 3.8 Genesis, with more HP is rumored to be the same price as the maxed Azera. Point being, why would Hyundai even consider a long term Azera future?

I sure am glad I leased my '07. Azera owners must feel terribly betrayed.
    It's already been reported that '08 Azeras have been delivered to U.S. ports, and that Hyundai is simply sitting on them (as I believe they did last year, too) while dealers whittle down their stocks of unsold '07s and even some '06s. In fact, Hyundai has already described the changes for '08 in a press release that's been widely discussed on these forums; try running a search.

This is how rumors get started, but there's no apparent evidence beyond the excitement generated by the Genesis to back up this one so far.
    been reported that '08 Azeras have been delivered to U.S. ports, and that Hyundai is simply sitting on them

cars don't "sit at the port" without the importer incurring daily demurrage charges. I leased my '07 in Oct '06. If not at the port, they have to be somewhere in a payed storage that cuts margins even further.

The '08's aren't in the largest car market in the US, and closest to the port, nor are they listed on the Hyundai website as are '08 Veracruz, Santa Fe and Sonata's.

Publishing spec. changes differs from delivery product to the dealer network.
    RE: 191
    Hyundai utilizes 6 ports of entry in the US. There are thousands of new vehicles at these ports at any given time. They maintain facilities for processing these vehicles at each of these locations.
    Re 192: You miss the point, Can you see or buy an '08 yet?
    RE:183
    07 Azeras were held at the port and not delivered to south east locations last year to allow the dealerships to reduce their 06 inventories.
  • cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    I own my Azera and do not feel " terribly betrayed ". The Azera suits our needs perfectly. FWD means better packaging of space available:
    1. Smaller hump in the middle rear seating position than RWD.
    2. Larger interior volume for given exterior size.
    3. Lighter weight than RWD ( no driveshaft or rear differential )
    4. Better traction in wintry conditions.

Performance cars offer superior dynamics with RWD, but the Azera is not a performance car, nor did I expect it to be. It is, as you state, a near-Lux.
    If full-lux means Nav, auto cruise control, self-parking, and such ( along with the electrical and computer gremlins that come with them ) no thanks.
  • lakerunner4hlakerunner4h Member Posts: 37
    Does anyone know whether the '08 will have the 6-speed from the Veracruz?
  • chilliwackchilliwack Member Posts: 189
    terribly betrayed

You guys are a riot. It is just a car, and a damn good one. I have had very few issues with mine now near 20K miles. Just drive it and enjoy it. No, I don't lay in bed at night tossing and turning over how I have been "terribly betrayed". Lol
    re. 197 I don't lay in bed at night tossing and turning over how I have been "terribly betrayed". Lol

You will the day you try to sell it.
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    I hope no one went into the Azera purchase with the view of getting a nice resale value within a very few years! A new, untried car has to prove itself over a period of time before the resale rises to even "acceptable." I took a risk in buying, only in regard to the reliability, as I'd come off of owning two reliable Accords over a 30-year period, so resale value means nothing to me,

So far, and with nearly 19,000 miles on the ODO, so good! Never had the "dreaded clunk" or anything else mentioned, save the fact that I had to adjust the headlights to raise the "black bar." Now I'll just enjoy the car for (I hope) another 14 or more years, allowing my unconcern with its resale value to become of ever less concern, if possible... :shades:
    No it doesn't have the 6 spped Transmission from the veracruz.
    Yes a facelift is coming out. Coming out next year in Korea maybe. Later for US markets. Might be until 2010 model year. Probably the 2009 model year.
    Thanks, RV. Appreciate the inside poop.
  • fastbobbyfastbobby Member Posts: 4
    Has Hyundai abandoned the Azera in favor of the new Genesis? It seems that it is taking an extremely long time to get the 2008 Azera's into the dealers lots. With the sales figures for the Azera trending down, Hyundai might have made the decision to shoot the works with the Genesis. Their is only so much cash in the corporate coffers.

Does this make any sense?
  • azeracanazeracan Member Posts: 1
    I don't think so. Hyundai USA had already issued a press release about the 2008 Azera specs. It will probably come near next March same as the 2007 did. Also, dealers in Canada have already 2008 models on sale. Now, is the Genesis will arrive before or after the 2008 Azera ???
    re. 203: Has Hyundai abandoned the Azera in favor of the new Genesis? It seems that it is taking an extremely long time to get the 2008 Azera's into the dealers lots.

It does to me. I leased my '07 in October of '06 and here it is December. What manufacturer rotates new models on a 14 month cycle?

Several posters here have stated the '08's "are holding at the many Ports of US entry, or stored elsewhere while management calculates pricing". To that I say baloney. The 08's are already in Canada but not in the US? Other posters say Hyundai can support 2 "entirely different 4-door sedans" citing the difference between FWD - 6 near lux Azera and RWD with V-8 option full lux. Genesis. Baloney, not with a US dealer sales & service network that is for the most part pitiful, coupled with Hyundai's third world marketing effots that have thus far failed Azera miserably.

Azera rate of sale here is in monthly units of 2,000, give or take. Another poster claimed Hyundai won't ship the '08's "in US storage" until excess remaining '07 inventory is sold. What excess inventory? Other posters state they can't find the '07's.

Genesis is projected in the 20,000 unit range for the US, oddly the same rate of sale as Azera. These guys aren't going to build the 2 side by side, in Korea and ship both to only 1 of their many worldwide markets.

You hit the nail on the head..."cash in coffers", and it's going to promote Genesis sedans & coupes and upgrading their US dealer network.

Azera is a great vehicle / value, and it proved to Korea we can do this, even better now.
  • snaglepussnaglepus Member Posts: 160
    "Several posters here have stated the '08's "are holding at the many Ports of US entry, or stored elsewhere while management calculates pricing". To that I say baloney. The 08's are already in Canada but not in the US? Other posters say Hyundai can support 2 "entirely different 4-door sedans" citing the difference between FWD - 6 near lux Azera and RWD with V-8 option full lux. Genesis. Baloney, not with a US dealer sales & service network that is for the most part pitiful, coupled with Hyundai's third world marketing effots that have thus far failed Azera miserably.

Another poster claimed Hyundai won't ship the '08's "in US storage" until excess remaining '07 inventory is sold. What excess inventory? Other posters state they can't find the '07's."

I have seen one 2008 Azera here in So Cal so I know that there is at least one here.
    It was built in September and was on display at the Greater Los Angeles Auto Show.

There are excess inventories of 2007s. 'Other posters' who would make such a
    statement that they "can't find the '07's" are simply not using their eyes.

Over 1400 units listed on the AutoTrader site, and we do know that not all available 2007units are listed there by all dealers, don't we? I know that my local dealer has
    several new 2007s on his lot, but not one of them is listed on the Autotrader site.
    I'll bet that there are at least 2000 new '07 units available nation-wide, maybe more.
    That's probably more than the total Azera units sold up North all year,
    so probably there are far less leftover '07 Azeras in all of Canada,
    hence the 2008s are already releasted to the dealers there?
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    Went by Gettel Hyundai in Sarasota a few days ago and while there I walked their lot and found ONE new Azera, a 2007 SE. I just checked their website and that's all they have listed. Also they have no used Azeras at all.

Jenkens Hyundai in Bradenton has five 2007 Azeras listed and no used Azeras.

Dealer just outside Tampa has four 2007 Azeras, no used...
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    There is no official US sales projection for the Genesis yet.

To my knowledge, the Azera is not being dropped, and fyi, Hyundai has supported the Azera since arrival, maybe not as much as some other models in the fleet but it is not supposed to be its bread-and-butter model (similar case for other large sedans). Still, it gets its share of marketing efforts and ad dollar allocation - maybe you haven't seen most of them but that doesn't mean they didn't happen - with stand-alone TV, radio, print ads. There have plenty, IIRC - during the baseball World Series, Smart, TAI and others just on the TV side of efforts.

Hyundai can and is expected to support both the Azera and the Genesis. These is little overlap between the two, even the pricing, with Genesis V6 expected to start right around the upper range of the Azera. This is the same case with the rest of the sedan fleet, as far as pricing is concerned, Azera-Sonata, Sonata-Elantra, Elantra-Accent
    re 208: There is no official US sales projection for the Genesis yet

"Official" or "rumored", splitting hairs with words. They can't plan production on the assembly line and procure necessary parts without a sales projection and budget approved long ago by the suits upstairs

Are you suggesting Hyundai is going to wing it with a new high dollar (for Hyundai) rwd platform?

I hardly think so.
    I didn't suggest anything. I was just telling you Hyundai hasn't put a figure on the US projection yet. It is certain they have a pretty good idea what that number is, however.

Also keep in mind the first year (2008) is going be a partial year.

Let Hyundai worry about its own business. The company is more than capable to perform to its potential.
    "I was just telling you Hyundai hasn't put a figure on the US projection yet".

At best it hasn't been published "officially" by Hyundai. The industry has.

"Let Hyundai worry about its own business. The company is more than capable to perform to its potential."

Not in the US market they haven't. Tuning a deaf ear and stonewalling petty suspension complaints? Continuing to fall below the expectation/ performance levels of other Asian rivals in pure product. A misinformed dealer networkt that for the most part represents Azera as the "dee-lux big Sonata"?

If you work for Hyundai, time you should "come out".

Hyundai's "potential" won't be fulfilled in the US Market as long as they have so many global versions of the same vehicle for different markets they can't even keep the same badge on the grill.
  • fastbobbyfastbobby Member Posts: 4
    So what's the real story ? Very little 2007 Azera's left on the dealers lots. If and this is one very BIG if, there are 2008 Azera's in the ports, when are they going to be released? I just think it is incredible that Hyundai would waste tons of money paying for the storage fees for these cars sitting in the Port parking lots.

Want my real opinion. Hyundai has removed the Azera from its vehicle line up. The reason, an engineering problem with the suspension that causes the clunk. Rather than fix this problem, design costs, production retooling and other related costs, just roll the dice with the Genesis.

The real problem here is how much confidence can you place on the Genesis if the Azera only lasted for two model years. Did Hyundai make a major marketing mistake??
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Too bad that you and I don't live in the same town. I'd love to make and collect on the bet that 2008 Azera's will be available in the USA, and by the end of January.
    All I can say is, I hope you are not losing your sleep over your defn. of Hyundai's US "debacle" ;)

RE: badge, you do realize its home market is about the only place with different logos (i.e. Genesis, Amanti/Opirus on the Kia side are separate brands), right? Look in Japan, Toyota, for example, similar deal. In other markets, Hyundai models are consistently represented by the Hyundai logo.

I am curious to find out what industry source has published Hyundai's un-published first-year US sales projection? With a slow US economy, a brand new car on the market (probably the most expensive for Hyundai in the US with a loaded V8 trim), Hyundai is probably trying to get a sound prediction as to how the market would respond. This "source" is probably only a speculation from the total worldwide preliminary projection, which Hyundai released in the wire, especially given the first year in the US will be a partial year.