Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera 2008

Comments

• rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    I have also been looking at a 2008 Azera Limited at a local used car dealer. It has 8,000 miles on it and is being sold for $19,900 (dealer is a no-haggle dealer). The Autocheck report came back clean.

Looking into the warranty, the 10yr/100K powertrain does not apply to second or subsequent owners. Powertrain coverage reverts to the 5yr/60K mile warranty.

Hyundai's 5yr/60K mile warranty, per Hyundai, has some caveats:
    Covers repair or replacement of any component manufactured or originally installed by Hyundai that is defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance.

Following components covered for time and mileage limits indicated:
    - Radio And Sound Systems (i.e. radio, cassette tape drive mechanism, and compact disc player): 3 years / 36,000 miles
    - Paint: 3 years/ 36,000 miles
    - Battery: 3 years / unlimited miles (100% covered 2 years / unlimited miles; after 2 years and within 3 years, 25% cost of battery and 100% labor cost covered)
    - Air Conditioner Refrigerant Charge: 1 year / unlimited miles
    - Adjustments: 1 year / 12,000 miles
    - Wear Items: 1 year / 12,000 miles (e.g. belts, brake pads & linings, clutch linings, filters, wiper blades, bulbs, fuses)

The 5yr/60K mile warranty is still relatively comprehensive. It would be nice if the radio and sound system was also covered beyond the 3/36 limit, but you can't have everything :P

From what I have read online regarding Hyundai service, it is not the best. If you have all service done by the dealer you should be OK. If you like to do your own oil changes, I have read that Hyundai will balk if asked to cover any engine issues. Even people with all receipts for their non-dealer performed oil changes have had issues getting Hyundai to cover repairs under warranty. Honestly, potential dealer service is one of the things keeping me from going with the Hyundai. I have heard nightmares about my local Hyundai dealer (whom I would need to use for service.)
  • zomeletzomelet Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2008 Azera Limited in the Chicago suburbs. I thought I'd chime in this discussion and also get some feedback.

My Azera had 13,800 miles on it at purchase, and the price I paid was $20k, minus what I had determined was a pretty good deal on my trade-in, a 2000 Solara. I wanted a 4-door that is comfortable and fun to drive with all the most recent safety equipment (ESC and side impact air bags are very important to me). I originally went to the dealer to look at a 2005 Lexus GS, but determined that RWD wasn't what I wanted. The dealer asked if I'd driven the Azera as a FWD option. I said I hadn't but was familiar with the good reviews from Consumer Reports and other sources. I took a ride in an '09 and I was surprised how well I fit in the car (I'm 6'5") and also by the engine's power and the refinement of the cabin. I have to say... I was hooked.

But the '09 had nav, which I'm not a fan of, and I also have had good luck in the past with used cars, so the manager asked if I wanted to look at the car he was currently driving, an '08 limited with the ultimate package but no nav. He hadn't intended to sell the car... in fact I test drove it with all his stuff in there... but I was once again impressed by the ride and the features so he had a deal.

(I only made the deal after calling my wife and asking her to run the Edmunds numbers, which showed that this was looking like a pretty good deal. Also, the CarFax report turned out totally clean.)

I have to say I'm very happy with the experience overall, because I was really having trouble with the prospect of spending more like $30k on something like a Lexus or tricked-out Altima that had all the features I wanted. For $10k less, I have all the useful features of those cars, a great engine, and a longer bumper-to-bumper warranty than I would have had on either of those cars brand new! Not to mention those vendors hadn't offered me a great deal on the trade-in.

Now after looking on this forum a bit, I see that the Azera I purchased was made mere days before the "shock changeover" in Oct. 2007. Honestly before I read this stuff I was totally happy with the whole experience, but I find myself kind of suggestible and as a result I question whether the suspension in this car is going to be a problem. I haven't had any real concerns driving the car... no front suspension noise, no bottoming out on potholes or curbs, and my experience has been very pleasant. But the car seems a little "bumpier" than I am used to, even on fairly even roads (this is at lower speeds primarily--the car rides like a dream on the expressway and I had it near 85mph without even realizing it). Keep in mind, I was driving a ten-year-old car with the original shocks before this one, and that car had a definite level of floatiness about it.

So I'm trying to get a feeling from the community here, is some of what I'm reading just a case of a few people complaining? Should I seriously look into putting in a strut bar or maybe newer shocks at some point? Or should I just be happy with all the things I like about this car and give myself more time to get used to my "new" Azera's suspension?

In all honesty, I see why this car gets such great reviews from every professional source and at this point I would gladly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a combination of luxury, performance, and most importantly, value.
  • cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    I haven't had any real concerns driving the car... no front suspension noise, no bottoming out on potholes or curbs, and my experience has been very pleasant.

If it ain't broke - don't fix it. Seriously, we don't have any concerns with our '06 Azera suspension other than in very rutted pavement at low speeds where the car has trouble keeping the tires firmly planted. Check your tire pressure, we keep ours at 32/30 to maintain that sweet ride, anything higher can increase harshness.

Sounds like you got a good deal on a great car. Enjoy!
  • garym1jgarym1j Member Posts: 46
    I also have been reading about the Azera's suspected suspension. I think in the overall scope of the things and world problems, believe I will just be happy with my car and enjoy the ride. I think your comments were well written and make a lot of sense. Thanks for providing. :blush:
  • zomeletzomelet Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your feedback, cobrazera. Comments like yours make me even happier about my purchase. I'll definitely check the tire pressure; I think part of the harshness with the ride has to do with the lower profile tires on this car as compared to my old one.

We got snow overnight in the Chicago suburbs, and the Azera got me to work this morning like it was on rails. The ESC didn't kick in once, and it didn't have to... though I did try to push it a bit on turns. I felt totally in control--even on what in the past had been some questionable parts of the ride for me (including a steep hill that likes to collect slush and ice at the bottom).

I've seen the Azera referred to as a "sleeper" for Hyundai; as in not a lot of people will seek it out, but once they drive one they see the value the car offers. That's exactly how I feel about the car. Everyone who's seen it has been impressed by the level of luxury offered... and that's before I mention what I paid for it.
  • jkolehjkoleh Member Posts: 38
    Very thoughtful comments! I have had my 2007 Azera Ltd Ult. for 17 months now-bought new-now have 23M miles-no service issues or problems of any sort. Runs like a train on the highway/interstates/ and is just fine on other roads/poor surfaces. a much much better and quieter ride than my previous two cars (2000 Chrysler 300M and 2004 Chrysler 300 M Soecial) plus better put together.

Gas mileage around town ( 18-20) is not that great but on the highway can;t complain about 26-28 mpg overall. Rarely do you see another one on the highway.

Enjoy!
  • SilverBullet00SilverBullet00 Member Posts: 102
    Recently bought a used 2008 Azera LTD Ult, black on black with 5200 on the speedo. Paid 20K. Agree with all your comments on the Azera and just want to add I to previously owned a 2000 300M with 145K no problems, but the Azera is much quieter and more for the money.
  • hornsby23hornsby23 Member Posts: 5
    After thinking about the Toyota Avalon, Infiniti M35 and Lexus ES, I really like what the Azera has to offer. I found a 08 Limited Azera for $15,977 with 36K miles. Carfax is clean and says it was a rental. It sounds like a great deal...any caveats I should keep in mind. That is a lot of miles for a one year old car. Thanks.
  • carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    My experience with a 2007 with the newest 2008 shocks on it is that it is a very pleasant ride on smooth roads. But on roads with dips or rises, it tends to wallow or bounce a couple of times over each one. Same at high speed or low speed, but more unsettling at higher speeds.
    Hyundai has replaced my shocks twice, but the improvement only lasted less than 1,000 miles with each new set.
    Good luck with yours because I think it is more than just the shocks. Some people don't mind it and on 60% of roads, I don't either. Unfortunately, it is the 40% that I drive most often that I have problems.
  • mkarns1mkarns1 Member Posts: 14
    Good Day All,

As I did in my Jetta diesel, I'm planning on siphoning out the oil through the oil tube and changing the oil cartridge thus never bothering the oil plug or dreaded aluminum washer.

My ? is how hard is it to get to the oil filter canister to unscrew it to change the inner cartridge. Can it be done reaching from the top down or is this an under the car job?

Also, how much oil will it take with a complete change including the cartridge? I plan on using Mobil One 5w-30.

Thanks,

M. Karns
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    I guess if you really must do it by siphoning...more power to you. To answer your question...getting the cannister to unscrew is rather simple. In some cases, you can use your bare hands to remove the top, but in the event it's a little tougher...an adjustable oil filter wrench will do just nicely. To access the cannister, raise the hood and you'll have to remove 6 10mm nuts/bolts from the engine shroud and lift the shroud up. the cannister is located top right on the engine.

Oil capacity for the Azera is officially listed at 5.7 qts.
  • wobbly_earswobbly_ears Member Posts: 160
    I don't change oil on my cars anymore as I don't have much time these days & also the city's oil disposal place is a little too far. But of what I have seen, Azera is probably one of the easiest of cars to change oil unlike the over-engineered German sedans. You should be done in 30min max.

I would still advice you to not do the siphoning method. Why go through that??
    Not sure if Pep Boys exist where you're located, but if so...see if they accept used oil. The ones in my area do.
  • brf8844brf8844 Member Posts: 1
    I have been shopping for an Azera for a while and finally found the one I wanted $18,900 with 7900 miles. Black with gray interior and Ultimate package. On the test drive I noticed the dash panels on the right side had a slightly different color and then there was an annoying squeek coming from that side. After haggling I opted to take care of the squeek at my local Hyundai dealer (a friend). On the ride home I noticed the plastic panel under the dash by the accellerator pedal was broken like someone had tried to take it out and got frustrated.I hope this isn't a bad sign but has anyone had a similar problem with the dash?
    The dash color variation could have come from getting that replaced as some Azeras had an issue with the dash cracking where the air bag is located. The annoying squeak could just be that it wasn't installed properly. Maybe you can have them pull it out and re-install it.

As far as the panel down by the accelerator...I pulled mine out (on the passenger side though) and broke the tab. It still stays in place, but the reason I did it was some change had slipped down behind where the ashtray is, so I was fishing for the change and pulled the panel a little too hard.
  • brf8845brf8845 Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a 2008 Azera with 7900 miles on it from a used car dealer. He gave me three remotes none of which worked. I took it to my local Hyundai dealer and they were all stumped. All the normal things were done,(reprogram, new remotes etc.). At first thought it was ECM but even that is responding, just not to the remotes. They have a call into Hyundai Tech services but have yet to get an answer. Anyone got any suggestions?
    My first question...why 3 remotes? The cars come with 2 when bought new. This may be a dumb question, but were they Azera remotes? You should be able to go through a Hyundai dealer and get them replaced via the warranty. Never hurts to try.
    I think the salesman just reached in a box and gave whatever he found. The dealer said one of them is an Azera remote that should work in that car, but like I said they were all stumped.
    The operative word..."SHOULD". If one of them is an Azera remote, you should be able to take it to a Hyundai dealer and have them re-program it for your car and then you'll probably have to order a new one, maybe you could get the dealer you bought it from pay for it since they gave you some BS remotes.
    As other have said, Azera comes with only 2 remotes. So, your salesman just grabbed remotes which looked similar & gave it to you.

You'd need OEM Azera remotes to work. They need to be programmed specifically for your car. They may have to order new OEM set for you.

As an advice, don't let them try too many times without first hearing from Hyundai Tech support or without NEW OEM remote set. The ECU might think that somebody is trying to steal the car & may shut down or go into Limp-Home mode & you'd have another mess on your hand.

You may need to go to a more competent dealer.
    Thanks--I went back to the dealer today and they still haven't heard back from Hyundai Techs but said the best "electronic technician in the shop" wants to get it in for a full day to work on it. They have to replace the dash because of the airbag crack so when that comes in they are going to work on both the same day or two. Other than not having a working remote and the dash I really like the car and it's amenities. I hope I can get this straightened out soon---Thanks for the advice!
  • judgmentbuyjudgmentbuy Member Posts: 27
    I got one, 2008 ultimate package, 20K miles, for about 20K in CA. I might have paid too much, but it looks great, and has a warranty. The dealer tried to sell me coatings, etc. I declined. Dealer said suspension in 2008 was fixed, 2009 did not have improvements - perhaps he was bending the truth?
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I just bought an 09 Azera GLS and one improvement I am aware of is the Ipod & USB connection for the stero. Other than than and some subtle body changes (more chrome on the grill), I am not aware of any other improvements.
    Arghh, the super duper audio package won't play CDs right - every 20 seconds or so, the volume of the CD goes to 25% for about half
    a second, then comes right back - on CDs that play right on any other car stereo or computer. Arghh.
    Sounds like an issue with the head unit and the automatic volume control. Take it to the dealer and explain the problem. Should be as simple as replacing the head unit with a new one.
    @allmet,

Do the 09s have Automatic volume controls? (As in, changes the volume depending on the speed?)
    Hey Wobbly...to be honest, I don't know 100%, but it's really the only thing that would make sense. Honestly, the '06's were supposed to have it, but I don't think it worked very well if they did. I never noticed a difference in volume when driving at highway speeds and then slowing down. At any rate, it would seem to be an issue with head unit, but there's a slight possibility it could be the OEM amplifier as well, maybe receiving a spike in voltage, but then that same spike would affect other electrical components as well. That's why I am led to believe it's an issue with the head unit alone.
  • 101649101649 Member Posts: 192
    remember...CD/Radio head unit is only warranted for 3/36....
    Well...he said he bought an '08 with about 20k miles on it, so it should be covered.
    does that part of the warranty transfer or just the powertrain??
    You know, I just found out how to Fast-Forward the CD playing - and when I did that once, the problem went away - it's a bug in the computer inside me thinks.

Now when I take it in, they won't be able to reproduce it, but such a goofy
    symptom means it will fail sooner or later, so maybe I should still take it in,
    even though it's fixed by pressing fast forward once....
    The 3/36 is the standard warranty, so it should carry over. The powertrain changes from 10/100 to 5/50 with the 2nd owner.
  • rhduke00rhduke00 Member Posts: 129
    Actually, the power train changes from 10/100 to 5/60 with the 2nd owner.
    rhduke00...you are correct, it is 5/60.
  • carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    5/50 "bumper to bumper" is a myth. About a month after I got my car, I received the real warranty info in the "your Azera at a Glance" brochure packet.
    It is 3/36 on audio.
    If any questions re: problems/concerns, take the car in and have dealer prepare a work order. Also make sure you agree with what he says and what he said you said before you accept it. This is especially true of any dealings with the Hyundai District Service guy.
    The 5/60 is not really a myth, it's just not as "bumper-to-bumper" as the term would imply. I found out the hard way with mine, I paid the extra money to hae my bumper-to-bumper bumped up to the 10/100 and when my fog light housing failed (took on water), I was told the warranty wouldn't cover it. Also, the latest incident with the creaking noise...the strut was covered under warranty, but the upper control arm was not. Something about the bushing being an item that wears out over time (like struts don't???). The bumper-to-bumper warranty isn't a myth, it just has exclusions. :sick:
  • tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    Maybe they should rename it fender-to-fender.
    :P
    Allow me to correct my statement...the first fog light was covered since it happened before the 60k mile limit. When the 2nd one failed, it wasn't covered since it happened around 70k miles. So...the extended warranty you pay for covers much less even though it's advertised as extending the manufacturer's warranty to 10/100. Maybe if they put the word "limited" in front of it, then folks wouldn't expect so much from it. I also found out I now have a $100 deductible to pay for incidents covered by the warranty. :confuse:
    allmet how many miles do you have on your Azera? Is there a ded on the 10/100 power train warranty??? How's the Audi doing?

My '06 Azera Limited Ultimate has14k miles on it..it stays in the garage covered. Lumbar support(3rd motor plastic gears) and pinstriping was peeling....all covered.
    no squeaks/clunks/or funny noises from the suspension and I've done some high speed driving (120+mph) with it.
    I took a peek at the odometer this morning and it was at 69,480 miles. As far as I know, the power train warranty is all inclusive of everything that makes the car go.

The Audi is doing great, I'm about to change the front rotors on it myself. The place I took it for state inspection over torqued the lug nuts on it when he put the wheels back on and warped the rotors. Since I can't prove it to him, I have to take that one on the chin. Luckily...the rotors are only gonna cost me about $130 for two.

Yeah...with the mileage you have, EVERYTHING is practically covered. LOL

You've only pushed yours to 120 mph? I had the pleasure of getting mine up to a hair under 140. :blush: However, that was with the 20" wheels on, not the OEM wheels. The fastest I've driven on OEM wheels is maybe 110 mph.
  • donniedonnie Member Posts: 24
    Help! We purchased a 2008 ex-rental Azera in March '09 with 13K miles. We left it in our garage for 5 days a couple of weeks ago. It didn't start as the battery was dead. Got it going, brought it to a Hyundai dealer. They "checked it out" and said nothing is wrong. A week later parked it at an airport for 6 days, came back at 10 PM, same problem. Got a jump start, brought it to the same service dept. They said they let it sit for 6 days to duplicate our experience and guess what...they told me it started just fine and "everything checked out OK." How can we trust this car? Is there anything about the Azera we should know?
    There have been postings about this problem on other model years of the Azera. Try going back through a few of the threads and see if you can locate it as I'm not 100% sure where to direct you on it.

If I recall, the issue was a rubber "stopper" not being in place to depress the hood pin for the alarm system and it allows the battery to drain.
    Thanks for the info. I'll try to find where the problem is discussed.
    original Korean batteries are lousy...get an Interstate Platinum your worries will be over
  • HyundaiisBestHyundaiisBest Member Posts: 8
    I'd get the strut bar. they're $100 In phoenix our curbs are massive and i noted big difference on the soft swaying i got before i put in the strut bar. It seems to keep the car from scissoring when one wheel is elevated on a curb and the other is not and u are moving and turning. Seems a little tighter when cornering as well Luck to you and the azzie
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Join Consumer Advice Editor, Phil Reed, and other Edmunds staff for an auto industry chat TONIGHT, Wednesday, 9:00 -10:00 pm/et (6:00 -7:00 pm/pt). To enter the chat, click on the banner at the top of the page.

See you there!
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    It's likely that one of the alarm switches (1 for each door, one trunk, one hood) is not making, most likely the hood switch as some have had a problem with that switch's actuating rubber bumper falling off. When locking with the remote, you should get the parking lights to flash and get one audible beep and a steady 30 second red, then blinking on the dash light.

The hood switch is on the passenger side, just in front and to the left of the coolant overflow bottle, and there should be a rubber bumper up on the hood that engagages the switch when the hood is closed. You might try to open the hood, hold down the switch manually and try your remote lock to see if the situation is resolved, then fix accordingly.

You'll want to get this resolved quickly, as, if the alarm is continually (and unsuccessfully) seeking engagement, it will drain the car battery in a day or two if you aren't driving daily, as you've already seen!...
    Thanks for the tip. No luck! When I locked it with the remote, everything went the way you described, with the red light blinking every ten seconds or so. I even tried it with the hood open and my finger pressing down on the switch as you suggested. The bumper is on firmly, so I guess what's not my problem. I did notice the red light continued to blink even after I opened the doors but stopped when I started the engine. I guess that's normal(?). I dropped the rear seatback just to be sure it's not the trunk light---that's out when the trunk is closed. Ditto with the interior lights.
    Dealer sez everything checks out--the drain on the battery is very small, within specs. I asked what could be doing this. I got a honest answer: "I donno." Maybe it is the battery, maybe I should get an Interstate as someone suggested.
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    That could be, then. My OEM battery began to fail about 2 weeks short of 2 years from when I took delivery, so they replaced it (with an Interstate) at no charge to me, on a Saturday, same day I called them...
    You have a great dealer! Mine never once suggested that they would replace the battery. Advanced Auto tested the battery--said it "fails to meet industry standards and should be replaced." Dealer's test said--700 CCA rating, showed 636 CCA (good).
    Could it be that it just doesn't hold a charge more than a few days? Anyway, I think I'll get it tested one more time before going to an Interstate.