Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera 2008

Comments

• gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    My car had/has never gone more than two days without running. My battery issue was that the engine had been cranking with less vigor for a couple of weeks, and on that Saturday, it barely started in my garage, so I left it running and called the dealer, who had me come right in, so I suppose when they tested it there was no question about the poor condition of my under-two-year-old battery (well, 2.5 year-old, since manufacture) and under two years, the replacement is free...
  • wobbly_earswobbly_ears Member Posts: 160
    Hyundai put in an el-cheapo battery. On another forum, a lot of people replaced OEM batteries with name-brand batteries & miraculously all their problems seem to have disappeared. (They had their headlight dimming when slowing down in addition to your issue. New battery seems to have fixed it. And no Wally world battery!!)
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Yup!!! Hey...what's wrong with a Wally World battery??? I replaced my OEM battery with one from Walmart and my headlight dimming issue went away. :blush:
  • donniedonnie Member Posts: 24
    Had it tested today at Autozone. They said everthing is A-OK!! Guess I'll take the advice of the "gang" and buy a fresh, non-Korean battery. Won't even bother to request a free replacement from the dealer. Will report back soon. Thanks to all.
  • SilverBullet00SilverBullet00 Member Posts: 102
    Has anyone, other than a 09 owner, tried to replace their present grill with the 09 grill?? Finally got to see one today and it looks much better than 06-08 grills IMO. Looked pretty good on the light colored car but I know it will make my black 08 look much better than it already looks.
  • 101649101649 Member Posts: 192
    dealer replacement will not be a Korean battery
  • donniedonnie Member Posts: 24
    I'm going to let it sit for 5-6 days and see if the battery is dead (for the 3rd time). I doubt if "my" dealer will offer a non-Korean battery, or any battery as they say it's OK. Next time I'll buy a Buick.
  • judgmentbuyjudgmentbuy Member Posts: 27
    I have a question about the used 2008 Limited I bought.
    When I step on the gas lightly, not much happens, it goes about 3 miles an hour.
    If I press just a bit harder - it zooms a bit too quickly for my tastes, I have to back down. Once I'm at 20 MPH or higher - it behaves like I expect. I guess it's non-linear response from 0 to 10 MPH - no stalls, no funny noises - is this a problem?? :confuse:
    It is called Wide Open Throttle. Hyundai has issued a software update to fix it & they have a TSB for it. Go to the dealer & they would flash a new software & you'd be good to go, takes only few minutes.
    Is that TSB just for the '08?
    Only one I see is for the early production of the 2006...

TSB 07-40-002

VEHICLES AFFECTED:
    • Model: 2006 AZERA vehicles
    • Affected vehicle production date range: Start of Production to February 13, 2006
  • tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    Next time I'll buy a Buick.

Off a used lot, or in Beijing? :P
    thanks I have an '06 built in Oct '05
  • tex99tex99 Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a used azera. The first bright day caused the realization that I have a problem seeing through the "tinted" (aftermarket) side windows (due to a reflection of the light colored dashboard) when using the mirrors. I just saw a posting of this issue. Does anyone know of a quality (or degree of) tint that will provide some tint without the problem?
    yes, I took it to my friendly local San Jose dealer, they confirmed the wide open throttle was NOT the problem, but when I picked it up, it ran more smoothly - so they must have adjusted something. For free. Thank goodness they witnessed the CD skipping problem and they are fixing that for free too. That was hard - as you have to listen to the CD for at least 5 minutes to hear it. At first they could not find the problem, I told them to listen to a whole song, and 4 minutes later they called me and said yes, they hear it too, and have a head unit on order, woo hoo! :)
  • carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    Drove ES 350 with 16K miles on it. Very nice, but really disappointed in that it was not as good as my 07 Azera . While it did not have the bouncing/wallowing that Azera is known for, the seats were not as comfortable, nor was the overall ride. Felt most road imperfections. The engine was noisy when accelerating and the car was not as quiet overall. The audio was not as good and radio had poor reception. The paint was in very good shape, except where some nut had installed a plastic "protector" over half of the hood. Left a definite line marking where it ended. The vented seat did not cool very well, even on highest setting. Of course, it was also smaller front, rear and trunk.
    Really surprised at handling on interstate. Very susceptible to cross winds and draft from tractor-trailers. Couple of times at 70 wasn't sure I was in control of the car.
    Guess I'll hang on to my Azera for a while longer.
    Bob, you've complained so bitterly about Hyundai, yet you like everything about your Azera except for the overly soft suspension.

Why don't you just break down and pop 2 grand (installed) for the Korean coilovers? If you're gonna have it, you might as well LIKE it.
    Just when you think the grass is greener on the other side. Imagine that...a Lexus!!! ;)
    I thought I would never hear Bob saying something nice about Azera!! :shades:
    Yeah, but I think he typed that compliment with his left hand... :)
    Yeah, but I think he typed that compliment with his left hand...

And his right hand was trying to pry it from the keyboard!!! :D
    Dang, they fixed the accelleration problem - but said they did nothing.
    They changed the CD head unit - but the CD playing problem is still there!
    Every 30 seconds or so, the volume of the CD goes to zero for about
    1/3 of a second. Only CDs have this problem, not FM or AM!
    So, if it's not the head unit, what could cause this audio problem?
    Does it do it with all CD's? Are they orginal, burned or MP3 CD's?
    It leads me to believe that it might be a problem with the CD. Have you tried with another CD? If it is a MP3 CD, it could also be the problem with how the MP3 is encoded. Some MP3 ripping softwares are known to encode MP3s really funny (especially the older Windows Media Player). Try a different CD with completely different MP3 files.
  • carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    Check out all my posts and you will see lots of very favorable comments re: Azera and Hyundai. I have always said it would be a 10 if it did not bounce/wobble and I believe Hyundai can fix that. Just as I believe the 2010 Genesis will have an improved susppension.
    BTW, I am not going to pay $200, much less $2,000 to experiment and see if it can be corrected - and violate warranty in the process. :D
    1) Warranty: What's the difference? You've complained previous that Hyundai doesn't listen to your complaints, AND that the replacement shocks don't fix the problem anyway.

2) "Experiment": I don't consider it an experiment. As reported by at least one Azera owner on boards like this one, I consider it a fix. Still, it's your money and your kiester.
  • richardcotrichardcot Member Posts: 39
    $2000 for coilovers is 2000 too much to spend on a problem that should be fixed at no cost to the customer. Especially based on the comments of one person on a forum.
    Coliovers are designed for flat tracks. Even the adjustable ones on the soft setting will wear out soon on normal roads with all the bumps, humps , broken pavement etc...
    gang, it happens on ALL CDs - burned or commercial, have not tried MP3 CDs yet.
    Happens when parked, or on the freeway, happens with the engine off.
    Considering it only happens with CD's and not the AM/FM section of the head unit, I would be lead to believe that the CD reader could be defective, and yes...it's possible that a whole batch of head units could share the same problem. I would keep going back to the dealer and keep having them replace the head unit until you get one that plays correctly. I know it could be a hassle, but there's no way to know when a good one will come along. Maybe the next one will be it, you know...3rd time's a charm, right? ;)

Good luck!!!
    $2000 for coilovers is 2000 too much to spend on a problem that should be fixed at no cost to the customer.

Yes, it "should." But we're not talking ideals here. His actual situation is that he loves all but one thing about his car, hates its ride, and has one viable fix available to him. Should he keep bee-yotching, or use it? I think that one answers itself.
    Arghh - the dealer wants me to bring it in Monday - they say the CD skipping
    may be an electrical problem - and just 1/2 an hour ago, I could not accellerate
    faster than 35 MPH, then it would not go faster than 3 MPH with the check engine light on. I parked, waited, and the check engine light was on - but I could drive again.
    ARGHH - the wife was right - not a reliable car it seems. Hope it makes it to the dealer, won't be taking freeways. :sick:
    After 30 hours at the dealer, they called. They say it was a bad chip that caused the speed, and check engine light problems. They say maybe it fixed the CD player issue too. They gave me a free loaner car. I like the service part of Hyundia in San Jose...
    It might be premature to say 'WOO Hoo, yahoo!" - but since they re-flashed the chips, all problems including the skipping CD player seem fixed. So, it was not a bad head problem - it was a bad bit in a chip problem. Just 2 CDs tested so far, but not one skip. Before i'd get 100 skips per CD. :)
    I wonder what they might have done. As far as I know, the car's ECU isn't connected to the headunit. Would reflashing ECU affect stereo headunit in any way?

allmet, you are the audio guru. Any ideas?
    there is always a chance the dealer found something else wrong but didn't write it down, like a loose connector or?
    Wobbly...electronics are a funny thing and it's really hard sometimes to say that one thing did or didn't cause a problem for another component. Personally, I don't think the ECU would affect the head unit, but then again...with head units being connected to more funtions in a car, you can't rule out the possibility.
    Updates - the fix only lasted a few hours of CD playing.
    And the TPS was the throttle position sensor - not the tire
    pressure sensor the front desk lady told me. The CD player
    started skipping again - took it back in, they tightened the
    audio connectors and told me I have to show them the skipping
    audio on commercial CDs before they will order a new amp or radio....
    But so far, in the first hour - no CD skipping.
  • rgb42rgb42 Member Posts: 40
    I was on a trip south on July 3 driving on I-83 doing about 65mph when all of a sudden my 08 Azera Limited lurched and then I noticed I had no engine power. The check engine light illuminated as well as the ESC Off light illuminated. The tach was showing just around 1000rpm and stepping on the accelerator, all the way to the floor, produced no acceleration at all. I pulled to the shoulder and kept driving with a top speed of about 5mph. Traffic was extremely heavy and the shoulder was pretty narrow so I didn't want to stop there and kept driving approximately 1 mile to the next exit. I didn't know if I was going to make it, but I did. I pulled into a convenience/gas station, parked, and shut the engine off. I couldn't figure out what was wrong and was miffed. I let it sit for a few minutes and then started the engine again. Although the check engine light was still illuminated, stepping on the accelerator sent the tach flying upwards ... I did that a couple of times just to make sure and then I drove around the large lot for half a minute or so and the car seemed to be working normally. Found a Hyundai dealer fairly close to where I was and went over there. Told them what happened and that I was on a trip. They got my car right in and in less than 2 hrs I was on my way again. Turned out to be a faulty Throttle Position Sensor, which they replaced and then had to reprogram the car. They treated me just super there and although I was a bit put out by what happened (15,900 miles on the car) I was extremely happy with how a bad situation turned good. The mechanic that worked on my car, when asked, said that he has seen some bad Throttle Position Sensors on various models, not just the Azera, and said there is a TSB out on them and the replacement part is supposed to be better. He told me I wouldn't have any problems after the replacement.

I've also noticed that it sounds and feels like the front wheels, at times, are going to fall off when going over bumps. Guess it's time to take it in to have those struts checked out now.
    Yes - that's what happened to me too. Now I get a TPMS warning flashing on my dash, sigh. I guess it's back to the dealer after checking tire pressure!
    Hmm, the TPMS light came on once after a 20 minute drive. I took back roads home in case the check engine light might come on. It did not come on, and the TPMS light went out on the way home. Today, took another 20 minute drive - no TPMS warning. So I guess I have to wait till it's consistent.

And dang it, they tightened the audio cabling, and that seemed to fix the CD
    playing for about 10 CDs in a row - I was so happy - then - today -- the CD is skipping again. Gotta load it up with Factory-burned CDs as they will only fix it if
    it skips on factory CDs. If worse comes to worse I'll stick in a MP3 CD and if that works I'll just thrive like that. Arghhh.
    My CD skipping saga comes and goes. I tried to put in a CD filled with only MP3s - thinking the CD reader would read it - it said disk error and spat it out. With no aux jack, just how does one play MP3s on the Infinity audio system that says MP3 player on it?
    When burning your MP3 CDs, make sure that the Session is closed (any proper CD burning software should give you that option) . Azera's CD player can only play MP3 cds who's session has been closed.
    I used Mitsui CDRs and burned them using Toast. Now here's the rub- with the warranty only covering commercial CDs, how can I convince them it won't play MP3 CDs - where does one buy a commercial CDs full of MP3?

This is driving me nuts - the 2008 Infinity package has no audio input so no ipod connections. I've burned 1000 CDs - all Mitsui, all done on a Mac with pro software - CDR. The same CDs that skip and drop out in the Azera 2008 - play just fine on any computer, any home or other car stereo. I only have so much time - but it seems that when I take commercial CDs - they don't drop out and skip. So is the Infinity system so picky it barfs on all but red-disk quality CDs, arghh.
  • cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    I have an '06 Azera with the uplevel Infinity system and it plays burned CDs ( using Windows Media Player ) just fine - never had a problem. I agree that the lack of an Ipod input is pathetic and disappointing, as is your problem with burned CDs.

Can you try burning a CD with different software? If that doesn't work, it looks like your options are limited to buying a new head unit which will probably play your CDs OK ( plus if it doesn't, it'll have an Ipod input ), or burning new CDs with different hardware. Neither option will be cheap.

I can also appreciate your frustration in dealing with Hyundai. I have numerous chips in my faux wood steering wheel which they will not repair. The wheel looks and feels like crap, but I'm stuck with it. The long warranty looks good on paper, but real world is a different matter. Cheap is as cheap does.

Good luck.
    I know you may have a preference of a certain brand of CD...try a different brand. Not sure if red-disk means the discs you're using are actually red, but that could pose another problem if the laser in the CD player is red as well or another color that doesn't work well with red media. Try a different color disc if that is the case and see if you notice a difference.

Good luck.
    The Mitsui CDRs are the top - quality ones - they last 50 years and work in every car and every computer and every home or portable player except intermittedly on the Azzy. The same CD sometimes plays perfect - then on a diff day drops out while playing. I will try diff brands and diff burning methods and report back.
    @allmet,

I think the problem with his MP3 CDs might be that the software isn't closing his sessions. I know for a fact that my Azera won't play MP3 CDs if the session isn't closed.

By default, most of the burning softwares leave the session open so that user can add files later. I strongly suspect that his software is leaving the session open.
    Wobbly_ears...you could be right, but I've burned CD's using Windows Media, Roxio and Nero and have NEVER had any issues playing them in the factory Infinity head unit. I've also used CD's made by Imation, Maxell, Sony & Memorex with no issue either. The only time I had an issue was with an MP3 CD burned on a laptop running Vista. Somehow, Vista leaves the session open and it won't allow it to play. In Windows XP...the closes the session and those CD's would play with no problem.
    I have heard that Mitsui CD's are top notch media, but since everything else was failing...it was just another option to try. I don't know much about burning CD's on a Mac, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it either. Has anyone else burned CD's using a Mac?

Good luck!
    Thanks guys. I think I found the problem, I was using Redbook complient
    OS9.22 software - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Book_(audio_CD_standard)

I got an important clue - when I took my MP3 CD I burned many years ago, and popped it into my OSX mac - it popped right up and started playing. Stuck it in my XP laptop - nothing happened - no files. Aha - the Azera is like an XP machine!

So, I copied the mp3s to a folder on my OSX Mac and used Itunes to create
    a playlist, burned it - checking MP3 CD, and BOOM - it plays fine in the XP
    box and the Azera.

So, it will be a few weeks to confirm no more audio glitches on MP3 playing - but
    if that works I'll just switch to MP3 CDs, and be happy till the check engine light comes on!