Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera 2008

Comments

• bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    dborth, you can't pass up any chance to take a cheap shot at Azera, can you?
  • dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    Re. 53: Wrong, bhmr59. I really like my '07 Azera and my wife's '02 Santa Fe.

My "cheap shots" are directed toward:
    1. Hyundai marketing...total failure in positioning a great automotive value in the US.
    2. Hyundai dealers...(those that I have personal experience with). The lack of product knowledge in the sales and service departments is deplorable.
  • sundevilssundevils Member Posts: 100
    I agree 100% - the marketing for the Azera has been virtually non-existant. When I tell people what kind of car I drive the reaction across the board is "what?"

My dealer's knowledge of the Azera was/is pathetic. The sales staff knew nothing about the car other than what they had read in the brochure. This might be understandable if I had bought my car the day it first hit the market but I bought my Azera in May 2006 - plenty of time for the sales staff to get up to speed on Hyundai's flagship vehicle.

Service has been even worse. My contempt for the profession of service manager is well-known in this forum. More than anything else this is why the dealer charges such high prices for its work - to pay the outrageous salaries of these middlemen who add no value to the service process. And don't even get me started about the Service Manager. At my Hyundai dealer these people are completely clueless. During my most recent service the car had been out for well over a year and these people still didn't know basic details about the car.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    the marketing for the Azera has been virtually non-existant. When I tell people what kind of car I drive the reaction across the board is "what?"

That would be the case with a lot of Hyundai models, unfortunately, espeically the new ones, like the Azera. Models such as the Sonata, Elantra, Santa Fe, has more backing on them, since those name equities are better recongized, relatively speaking.

FWIW, Azera marketing has been there with various media outlets. Could, and should there be more (or less)? I don't know, I guess only Hyundai can answer that, since little is known (at least to the pubilc) what the impact the marketing has made.
    Re # 55: You said it better that I, sundevils. Suffice to say Hyundai has to reach to a much lower dealer level to begin with, and that means dual or multi-brand dealers that don't know Hyundai from apple butter. On a recent service visit on my '07 Azera the service "consultant" leaned inside to record the mileage. He said..."WOW, where did you get that aftermarket wood trim in here"? I could go on and on, but won't.
  • msazzyindcmsazzyindc Member Posts: 118
    Eye yi yi! I don't whether to laugh or cry about the wood trim... :confuse:
    I posted this in another Azera forum/thread in response to a related question posted - thought I would share here in case you may have missed there:

"Hyundai is currently running a series of "DUH" ad campaigns, including:

Two Santa Fe stand-alone
    One Sonata stand-alone
    Tuscon, Santa Fe, Veracruz with Tucson details/offers at end
    Elantra, Sonata, Azera with Azera details/offers at end"

Come to think, actually, with some exceptions, large sedans generally do not get much allocation of ad budget. When was the last time Toyota campaigned the Avalon, especially over the airwaves on network TV? Probably only when it first came out to get the word out; there have been plenty of Camry ads in between, for comparison. Hyundai has been putting a lot into the Sonata and Santa Fe, and understandably so, but it has consistently promoted the Azera (relatively speaking) throughout its existence here in the US.
  • scbobscbob Member Posts: 167
    The Sept 2007 issue reviews most cars and the 2008 Azera did excellently overall. They also picked the 2009 "Genesis" as one of the 10 cars worth waiting for.
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    Has anyone been able to determine with certainty what new equipment will be availaable on the 08 Azzy.
    If navigation is available, what type will it be and what features will be available?
    Will the Azzy be Bluetooth enabled?
    Will the audio system have Ipod input with visable display?
    Will "smart key" be included?
    Will lazar guided cruise control be offered?
    HID headlights?
    Back-up sensors?
    Tilt in reverse side view mirrors?
    Anything else other than sat. radio that is already included on the new 07's?
    RE: 63
    From what I read, the only change is the addition of the LG navigation system, which apparently does not even include Ipod input and Bluetooth.
    As they mention"improved suspension system", hopefully they have determined a cure for the many complaints that current owners now have. I wonder if this "system" will be available for 06 and 07 models.
    Based on the new press report released by Hyundai, it appears that they have lost interest in marketing Azera as a "near luxury" model.
    By not adding many features that are appearing on most new models, even Hyundai products, they are, in my opinion eliminating MANY potential buyers of higher end cars.
    Right you are floridabob1, with Genesis coming next year I am amazed Hyundai is even going through the motion of an '08 Azera. The '06's & '07's didn't sell worth a damn anyway so let it expire & cram those marketing dollars into upgrading and training their pitiful selling dealer network.
  • jaymagicjaymagic Member Posts: 309
    From my experience and the others I have read about, I think Hyundai solved the "clunk" problem in the 07 model year. What I read about the the suspension led me to think that they have beefed up the suspension to significantly reduce the roll characteristic, and generally upgraded the technology of the shocks. As many would like a little more sport in the suspension, it sounds like a very positive change to me.

As for IPOD and Bluetooth, I think we may have to wait to see exactly what the new NAV option brings to the table AND what it costs.

Dont know about others, but I am finally beginning to see Azera's besides mine on the street. I like the Blue version better than I thought I would seeing it driving.
    RE: 67
    I believe that I have read posts from 07 Azera owners who have expressed problems with the suspension.
    The LG nav system, according to the press release, does not incorporate Ipod input nor Bluetooth.
    Still no smart key, tilt in reverse mirrors, back up sensors, lazar cruise control etc.
    Loved my XG350's tilt in reverse mirrors. Back up sensors are nice, but I don't much care about the rest. I have bluetooth on my PDA.

My only wish would have been for mine to have the XM. I also don't want to see the price increase all that much on the Azera.
    RE:69
    XM radio is an easy and relatively inexpensive aftermarket installation.
    Xmas baby!!!
  • tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    They've upgraded the standard stereo on the Limited, added XM on all Limiteds, ditched the stripper SE model, and added bling to the mid-tier model. On top of that, the nav system isn't vanilla -- it has a touch screen and voice commands.

If you'd asked me for two upgrades, I'd have said more XM availability and a firmer suspension. They've done that and more. Now I'd like to see variable displacement next -- the 3.3 offers almost no fuel savings at all in exchange for the performance sacrifice.
    RE;72
    Almost every automobile manufacturer is offering satellite radio today, even in their entry level models.XM is willing to provide them with the equipment at no, or low cost to sell the subscription service.
    With regard to the navigation system, I believe that most, if not all, in dash nav systems offer touch screen and voice commands.
    I guess that we have different feelings about what "near luxury" refers to.
    Near luxury to me doesn't mean cutting edge techno. It means good leather, quiet ride, good power, heated seats, folding rear view mirrors, superior sound system, comfy seats f/r, room lot's of room, nice tire and wheel package, good safety capability, all in a car that works from day one.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    All Hyundais include XM radio.

In '07 the GLS was the stripper model, the SE was the mid-tier model.
    Hyundai is offering features in the 08 Veracruz, such as proximity entry and Bluetooth that apparently will not be be in the 08 Azzy. In my opinion, the flagship should carry all of the companies available toys.
    It appears that Hyundai plans to put most of its apples in the Genesis, or whatever other name, cart.
  • scbobscbob Member Posts: 167
    Personally, I did not want nav, bluetooth, XM, etc. so it did not matter to me. It may mean that Hyundai is going to let the other companies come out with the latest "toys" and then once a demand and reliability is proven, they will add them. I also think Hyundai listens to people and adds features people actually ask for.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    It's going to have some cool toys. MMI like Navi, XM NavTraffic, Bluetooth, HDRadio, Laser cruise control, Electric Handbrake and so on.
  • sundevilssundevils Member Posts: 100
    But will any of these tools change the engineering? Probably not. It takes zero engineering innovation and creativity to produce a 6-cylinder, four-door sedan that gets between 15-18 mpg around town. Cars with those specs have been around for decades.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Azera and have no regrets. But the new toys don't impress me - I want better handling and better gas mileage.
    RE: 78
    I wonder why the Hyubdai press release pertaining to the 08 Azera does not share this information.
    I can only recall it mentioning navigation as an added feature to the current 07 features.
  • tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    "A 6-cylinder, four-door sedan that gets between 15-18 mpg around town. Cars with those specs have been around for decades."

Yes, but not with a flotilla of airbags, every imaginable power convenience and a time of 6.5 seconds to 60. Heavy, economical and fast: pick any two.
    b/c it has nothing to do with the 08 Azera
    RE: 82
    What has nothing to do with the 08 Azera?
  • harryh3harryh3 Member Posts: 3
    Attached to the 2008 Azera’s rigid structure is improved suspension and steering hardware to keep the Azera even flatter through turns and more compliant over bumps. The enhanced suspension features four revalved twin-tube, gas-charged dampers, softer bushings and a quicker steering rack. The Azera also has front and rear stabilizer bars and rides on 17-inch wheels and 235/55VR17 tires.

AZERA GLS
    RE: 84
    Do the 06 and 07 Azera's not have stabilizer bars?
  • drdonrsdrdonrs Member Posts: 164
    I believe the answer is yes.
    Don
    RE: 86
    I do too.
    Therefore the change in the 08 suspension probably amounts to new shocks, which ,if they are truly better, will benefit 06 and 07 Azera owners should they desire to change them.
    Time to speak with Service Manager again.
    Another poster mentioned the toys the BH is expected to have, and you asked why those are not included in the 08 Azera press kit, and I responded it has nothing to do with the 08 Azera, two different models.
    RE: 88
    The Azera press release that I referring to is the link that you posted on Aug. 22, 2007 Post number 63.
    This release refers specifically to the 08 Azera
    http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/1074/vehiclevoiceveracruznavoe6.jpg

Similar to the arab system and the mozen MTS250 system. Must have been based on it. Uses a touch screen, audio prompts, visual prompts, 8 GB Compact Flash Card for map data, and all the usual nav features except bluetooth. Will come in multiple colors to match the interior. Same system but will be used in the azera. No CD changer with it.
    RE: 90
    I can't understand why they haven't included Bluetooth, as more and more US states now require "hand's free" use of mobile phones in moving vehicles.
    The technology to add feature this is so simple and inexpensive and provides audio muting while phone is in use, and better sound quality of phone conversations.
    Veracruz and entourage have it so the azera should have it. The azera should get a facelift and then thats when they will implement it. Parrot has bluetooth as well.
    That's what I have been trying to get across this whole time...lol

Okay, the convo started with rv65 posting:

It's going to have some cool toys. MMI like Navi, XM NavTraffic, Bluetooth, HDRadio, Laser cruise control, Electric Handbrake and so on.

Referring to the BH

To which you replied:

RE: 78
    I wonder why the Hyubdai press release pertaining to the 08 Azera does not share this information.
    I can only recall it mentioning navigation as an added feature to the current 07 features.

And I chimed in with the info is related to the BH and has nothing to do with the Azera, in any model years.
    RE: 93
    I have made no comments about the BH, my only comments and concerns relate to the 08 Azera. I was not responding at all about comments pertaining to the BH
    The link that you supplied refers to the 08 Arera only.
    No mention is made about the BH
    lol...

Exactly, you asked why these stuff (quoted below) are not shared in the 08 Azera press kit:

I think we are on the same page. Let's move on.
    Ok we will move on.

The navi used in that veracruz pic will come in different colors to match the dash for the azera. I like the fact that the map data is stored on an 8 GB CF card. That will make it easier to update. Just swap out the card or get the updates online. Maybe the cd player is dvd enabled for the map updates. Either way its still good.
    Has anyone seen a good (not spyshot) pic of the 2008 Azera. Just wondering if the cosmetics have changed.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    ;) Take a peek here

2008 Azera pics
  • zredsoxzredsox Member Posts: 90
    Take a peek here

2008 Azera pics

tenpin288 -

I'm not sure all, or any, of those pics are of a 2008 model. The pics of the steering wheel clearly show the 2006 audio controls.
  • stubabystubaby Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know when the 2008 Azera is hitting the market?
    RE: 99
    Although you are correct about the steering wheel audio control, note that the computer display is mounted in the center of the instrument display, unlike the 06 Azera
  • zredsoxzredsox Member Posts: 90
    Although you are correct about the steering wheel audio control, note that the computer display is mounted in the center of the instrument display, unlike the 06 Azera

Bob -

Yep, I saw that. I guess it must be one of those Azera "hybrids."

I have a question for anyone out there. In post #98, there is a link to the pictures Bob & I are talking about. In the middle column of pictures, the 4th picture down from the top shows a skeleton of the Azera body. Below where the gas cap will be and to the right, there is a cut-out in the panel. It looks like it's an access panel. Does anyone know what goes in there or what the access is for?

Don