Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Veracruz Initial Quality

Comments

• carbuyer11carbuyer11 Member Posts: 114
    I am the poster who originally started the quality control thread. Why? Certainly not because I thought the Veracruz had a lot of issues. I did it from my experience with my initial ownership of a Honda Ridgeline when it was introduced nearly 3 years ago. I am a member of an online Ridgeline owners club. Back when my Ridgeline was new, I learned a ton from fellow new Ridgeline owners. Believe it or not, the Ridgeline had numerous common problems when it was first introduced. Other owners' experiences with getting these problems fixed helped a lot of us when dealing with our dealers. My experience convinced me to try this thread.

Everyone, the Veracruz is a brand new vehicle. It's bound to experience some growing pains. It's not unusual for any new vehicle, regardless of brand. I certainly learned that this was the case with the Ridgeline (by the way, I love my Ridgeline- 30K miles and still like new). So even if a fraction of the 10,000 VC owners share their ownership experiences, all VC owners will benefit.

For the record, our Limited AWD Veracruz has logged 4500 miles in 5 months of ownership. Other than a couple of minor dashboard rattles (I'm a perfectionist that listens for EVERYTHING), the Veracruz has been delightful so far. I'd recommend a Veracruz to anybody in the market for a refined, well featured CUV that doesn't cost a fortune.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You are committing a sample size bias logic flaw with your argument.

Actually, sample bias is only part of the problem. If the sample is truly random then the sampling error would be about 10% (1/square root of 100 if there really were 100 "respondents."). The more serious (statistics) problem is that the sample is not representative of the entire "population" of Veracruz owners, i.e. ALL Veracruz owners are not equally likely to participate in any given forum.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • ehtpineyehtpiney Member Posts: 25
    Sampling, (ie:7500 vs 100) cannot be done here. I am not trying to show there are 7500 Veracruz owners on this board and that only 100 responded with problems. More that if you were to take a pole of users, the majority would most likely say that they came to this thread because they had a problem and are looking for answers. The majority of car owners who have no problems will most likely not visit these threads and if they do will just read and stay quiet. You cannot assume that Veracuruz is flawed simply by 100 comments on this board. Lets stop putting down the quality of the car and try to help our fellow owners through their problems. Let's hear from both sides, positive and negative on this car. Are there others out there that can go on this thread and say "No problems with transmission, etc."

The lights issue is true. There is a distinct line on low beams and the high beams do light up the trees. That I believe does not make for a defective vehicle but simply a matter that has to be adjusted.
    Other than that, We have about 5000 miles on our Veracruz with no other known issues. The transmission is perfect. It could not be more smooth.
    The car was well worth the cost.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!
  • aabruzzeseaabruzzese Member Posts: 16
    xquuzme, I think you need to find a better dealer to service your car.

I had issues with the dealer I bought my 2003 Santa Fe from. I got so frustrated with their lousy service that I took my '03 to another dealer. That dealer fixed all the problems. (one of the problems was so bad that the second dealer wouldn't let me drive the car off their lot! They said it was too dangerous to drive and got me a rental while they fixed it at no charge to me.)

I had the same headlight issue with my 07 VC SE. When I had my oil changed a few days ago I mentioned the problem and they fixed it. They're perfect now.

I haven't noticed anything regarding the lights dimming, nor do I remember reading anyone else mentioning it.

BTW, the dealer that services my VC isn't the one I bought it from. They have a GREAT service team, but their sales team is aweful.

Good luck, and please let us all know how you make out!
  • becykbecyk Member Posts: 28
    Well, the wheel sensor has been replaced on my VC and I'm still happy with it.

I service elevators for a living...and yes, even brand new units will have the odd failure!!! It's something we have to live with nowadays. With all the gadgets and gimmicks in these things...you outta have the odd one fail, I guess its the odds. they have a given "acceptable" failure rate which is 1/x # of failures. Its the times, it sucks, but that's what it is!

Yes, if it wasn't for this failure...I would have probabl never came out on this forum to check if others are experiencing the same thing I was. I was trying to find a quick fix to help my dealer pin point the problem & fix. Hey, if I had a barebones car without ESC, ABS, TC, AC, AT & xyz ;) I wouldn't have the great vehicle that is the Veracruz!
    Here's my experience with new things:

bought a new motorcycle in '94 ->1 bad part in the carb...my luck!
    bought a new car in 95 ->cold starts wheren't easy,bad connection...my luck
    bought new DVD player ->failed in 1 week...replaced & still going strong after 7yrs.
    bought new motorcycle in '02->oil leak after 1000miles...my luck!
    bought Veracruz ->bad wheel sensor...my luck! :surprise:
    _
    and the list goes on & on & on! seriously! It is so sad that when [non-permissible content removed] like this happens now, I just laugh! :confuse: :D
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    Again, I have nothing against the Veracruz or am I emotionally attached to this car.

There is little doubt that we lack enough data to conduct a proper analysis of the QC problems of this car, but a quick comparison with another car CX-9 may provide some insight. The CX-9's Problems Thread has 7 comments, while the Veracruz's QC Thread has 107 comments (now 108). The car is on my short list, but I will carefully watch how the dealership respond to these QC problems.
    Even I erred when I said "only 100 responded with problems". This thread is a mix of comments, complaints, advice, compliments and conversations such as this one. So it would be unfair to say that there are 100 problem comments. I didn't count the total number of complaints in this thread, could be 10 or 20. My err. On the other hand I don't think we can compare this thread to the CX-9's problem thread which was created in September 2007 when that vehicle was introduced in April 2006, one and one half years earlier. So let's watch this thread and see how it plays out and hope that Hyundai is watching also.
  • dvinay12dvinay12 Member Posts: 20
    May be CX-9 board is not vocal as like Veracruz. If 7 Vs. 107 comments is your criteria, then wondering what you are waiting for?
    As rightly put by others, 107 are not all complaints.

My Honda dealer created another problems while fixing the one. So changed to other dealer before I started suspecting Honda quality.

I am trying to listen all sorts of noise while driving my Veracruz. Sometimes shutting off radio,cd player altogether. But it's dead silent, smooth. Slides on butter.
    Can anyone explain what is that rattle, you are talking about?
    May be I will check in that direction.
    If VC dealers are not listening, then time to write Hyundai USA offices. It's a new machine, dealers will always have tough time to find and fix.
    Go ahead and buy a CX-9! Save me your I'm not too sure now kind of deal and don't buy a Veracruz!

Go ahead and buy a Ford powered car and don't forget to fuel up now!!!

sans prejudice
  • jseideljseidel Member Posts: 7
    I purchased my 08 Limited VC in September. After a month I noticed a parasitic drain on the battery. After being parked for 3 days, the battery was is so low the car can't start. This would never be discovered by someone that uses his car daily. I tested the voltage drop each day and at the end of the 2nd day there was just enough voltage to start the car, 11.9V. At the end of the third day the voltage was 10.5 volts - car would not start. Has anyone left their VC parked for a long period of time, and was still able to start their car. I am taking the car to the dealer Monday for a fix. How long can a parked Limited VC battery maintain a charge. Thanks.
    Battery on our VC is clean as a whistle after 6 months of use. Recently parked at airport for 10 days. When we returned started no problem. Take your VC to a reliable hyundai repair shop.
    This is not personal, this is a discussion about a car.

As for the CX-9, the wife does not care for the interior, so I am still looking.

"I'm very happy with the VC, or at least I was!" I fully understand that you are frustrated with your car; based on your posts it has a few QC problems. I hope the sensor problem does not return.

We are just fortionate that we live in a country that provides us with an opportunity to discuss frivolous topics such as this one. Good luck with you car.
    Correct, no reason for this conversation to get personal. I'm curious. You say that you are very happy with your VC, or at least you were. Other than some posts here about some problems, what put you on the fence? Did you experience any problems with your VC? As I stated earlier, we have not experienced any mechanical problems. We only have to work on the headlight adjustment thing.
  • mjb56mjb56 Member Posts: 170
    I too am very pleased with the VC. I fully expected some issues with a new model. But having taken several lengthy trips and having nearly 10K mi. on it it's exceeded my expectations. Particularly the fuel mileage. Most recent had a fully loaded vehicle with 5 passengers, into a 25 mph headwind, at 25 degree temps. Still got 23 mpg.
  • xquuzmexquuzme Member Posts: 18
    Thanks. Actually, I've been to two different dealers. I'm told the headlights cannot be adjusted independently. The low beams are too low and the high beams are too high, so if they are adjusted, one or the other will be even worse!

I tried the adjustment in one of the earlier posts. There are two places that adjust the beams up and down, but they do adjust them at the same time. This is a serious safety flaw and I'm hopeful Hyundai will correct the problem.

Hopefully other owners will voice their concern as well so Hyundai will recognize the problem and hopefully fix it.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying my car.
  • xquuzmexquuzme Member Posts: 18
    The CX-9 was our second choice. My wife also didn't like the truck-like interior and the rear seat rails in the way on the floorboard. I think you get more for your money with the Veracruz.
  • jimmyz4jimmyz4 Member Posts: 25
    Rottencar......are you being overly critical??? Do you really own a VC? What year and how many miles?

I have a VC Limited 2007 and ....

1. My key buttons don't stick out on my keyless fob. They are flush. Even if you recessed them a bit, whatever you carry in your pockets will still push the button. The only way to avoid completely is to put a cover over it. No matter what gizmo with buttons, if it has buttons and you carry lots of stuff in same pocket [as it sounds like you do], it can, and probably will activate somehow, sometime.

2. I have 2800 miles on mine, and have never had the radio or cruise control deactivate while driving. Not once. With hands on the wheel, I can't even imagine how this can be done. Now, if you rest your elbows on the wheel, that's another problem...

3. I have occasionally felt the thump. I don't buy that it is normal. It happens about twice a week. I think Hyundai will eventually address this. It has been reported to differing degrees. That tranny is too good to be doing this and I am planning to escalate to Hyndai if my dealer tells me "it is normal." So far, I can not duplicate it at will.

I am thrilled with my VC so far. Had a Lexus before that served me well for 7 years. I decided to take a chance on the VC based on the Motor Trend comparison. I am glad I did and have that small, minor complaint stated in point #3.

If at some point I become as unhappy as you are, I will take my financial lump, sell the VC and buy a Lexus for 10K more and hope it will give me the "perfect" car buying experience. Which probably does not really exist.

I have gotten two surveys from Hyundai so far. Something I never got from Lexus and I have purchased two of them. My wife still has hers.

I believe that Hyundai it is a company that cares and wants to make their products better.

Good luck to you.....

• 99gs99gs Member Posts: 109
    I had this same issue on my '05 Acura TL. They had to do a software update as something in the computer was draining the battery.
  • pbgirl423pbgirl423 Member Posts: 12
    We just got our Veracruz with beige interior and was wondering if anyone else has this model that included dark gray floor mats? It seems odd that the floor mats are not beige, like the floor carpeting. We're wondering if the dealer switched them out before delivering the car, or if this is just the way they come?
  • bigjimd2804bigjimd2804 Member Posts: 34
    pbgirl423:

It IS odd that your mats don't match; they should be the same as your carpet. (I have on 08 Limited with the tan interior and your floor mats should match--mine do.)

How this came to be might be explained by your original window sticker, if it had mats listed, then they would have been shipped with the car, and there really shouldn't have been a mismatch. If the mats were a "dealer installed" add-on, then they would have come from the parts department. That might explain the mismatch.

Regardless, I'd head back to the dealer and get them swapped out.

(You might decide you wished you had kept the gray ones once you get the first dark stain on them, but I certainly understand your wanting them to match.)

Hope you enjoy your new Veracruz as much as I do!

Jim
    Jim, thanks for your message. I'll have to take a look at the window sticker tonight again. I do like the fact that it won't show dirt as much as tan mats would, but I'm still unsure if I like the way they look.

Thanks again! So far I'm loving the Veracruz!
    here's a helpful hint on keeping the factory mats looking good. I purchased the square heavy ribbed mats usually intended for a back seat and placed them over the existing carpet mats. Not only do they catch excess dirt, they help protect the area that wears due to heel dragging when pivoting between the gas and brake pedals. They work great and the carpet mats look pratically brand new.
    Didn't mean it as a personal attack...we're trying to find problems/solutions here...that's all.
    Oh yeah, after my repair, the VC ran fine, didn't stall again. Now, the stupid thing didn't stall...it just didn't want to start after a short stop at the daycare (started after ±20min.) ! $/?$&%?!/%¤ They're looking at it and I also got a loaner for the time being...maaaannn am I pissed off or what? Typical...I sell my GM so I wouldn't have any problems, and look what I got! lol :lemon: I hope I didn't get a lemon...no lemon laws in Canada.
  • posystmposystm Member Posts: 34
    elvisp

The dealer finally recieved the rear quarter glass from Korea as well as all my other parts. Looks great, no leaks.
    Well, looks like they found a loose fuse/connection box under the hood. I think its the one on top of the battery. Apparently, it was loose and after 4 days, I got her back and she seems fine now. We'll see! :mad:

Not very happy...but like I said before, if this is the definite fix, I'll be happy. I don't trust it any more, if she runs good for a loooong time, I'll trust it again...maybe.
  • jackoregonjackoregon Member Posts: 4
    I too bought an.'08 Veracruz w/ beige interior and it also came w/ dark grey floormats. Personally, I'm glad of the color. Much easier ti kep clean. Looks like it''s pretty much standard on this exterior color model.
    Does anyone out there have any experience with driving their Veracruz in snow? Being that this model is not full time all wheel drive, I'm interested..OK concerned that it will handle like I'm expecting it to. Saying that, I would have loved it if the "H" folks had made that "AWD Lock" a full time over ride feature.

Also, how about the factory tires. Have any of you snow folks traded them into some more aggresive tread designs?

My decision came down to the Highlander vs. Veracruz and I chose the VC.

Beautiful car.
    I have used my VC on ice & snow. You can't tell when the AWD kicks in & out. It is smooth and like I said, you cannot feel it, but it sure works!!

I switched the all-seasons for winter tires. I got 4 Toyo winter tires put on and they are fantastic. I have always had Blizzaks on my other vehicles, needless to say, they are very very good in snow. I can attest that the Toyo winter tires are also very very good. I think they're as good as the Blizzaks, IMO. Haven't driven in deep snow yet, but when time comes to turn and brake, they're very good on ice. As for taking off from a light/stop, can't beat AWD.

There is a AWD Lock feature you know, it doesn't lock the AWD pass a certain speed...but AWD is only useful at low speeds...I think.

Enjoy the VC...
    Problem seems to be history, car doesn't stall anymore. Looks like that was it: loose connection in the fusebox under the hood.
    Becyk,

I am glad to see that they finally fixed your 'Lemoned'. I am sorry, but I could not help myself.

Good Luck, I hope your VC is problem free for now on.
    thanks, Getting to trust it again...1 day at a time :D
  • slvrveracruzowslvrveracruzow Member Posts: 3
    Wondering if anyone has had this problem on their Veracruz. I have an '07 Limited, and just recently, when we lock the door, wait 5 minutes, and then unlock the door either with the keyfob or pushing the button on the door handle (since we have keyless start), the doors unlock, but the alarm does not disengage, and when we open the door, the alarm horn goes off (and we quickly have to push a button on the key to stop the alarm).

When we lock the door, we hear the "beep" of the door locking/alarm engaging, but when we unlock the door, no such beeps (which indicates to me the alarm is not disengaging). Finally, when we open the rear hatch first (before the front doors), this apparently disengages the alarm, since we can now open the front doors without the alarm going off.

Anybody have this issue? It's currently at our Hyundai dealer, but they've said this is the first time they've experienced this problem.

Thanks.
    Becyk,

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably get some aftermarket rims and buy either the Toyo's or Blizzaks. By the way, what model Toyo's did you buy?

Best,

Jack
    We just had a huge rainstorm in Seattle a few days ago and didn't notice any leaks with my new 2008 Veracruz until today. The mat and floor behind the drivers side is SOAKED. Nothing else is wet so it appears as though the leak came from underneath. Anyone else experience something like this?
    I don't remember which model...but in this size (245-60-18) you won't find too many, especially from one brand!!!

Drove it tonight on ice, and I think the TOYOs are better than the Blizzaks on ice! :surprise:
    Dumb question...but I have to ask. Was your smoonroof closed all the way shut?? I noticed mine had been open, just partially (very partially) for a few days...got me thinking...could cause a mess at the car wash!! :(
  • kingsalmonkingsalmon Member Posts: 97
    My sister's Toyota Highlander had the same problem. In her case, the rock was about the size of a marble and it caused a crack which had to be fixed at the dealership. It was way too much as they had to replace the whole thing.

I thought it was due to cheap window glass, but I guess it happens to other cars as well.

Well good luck!
    Haha, NOT a dumb question. You don't know how many times I have stopped myself just in time before calling a tech support person to ask why something won't turn on, only to find it was unplugged.

Anyway, yes I am positive the sunroof wasn't open. Plus, the only part of the vehicle that was wet was the entire mat as well as the floor around it and underneath. There was no water on seats or anything else. It's very weird. Almost like it came from underneath the car. We are hoping this is covered by our warranty and they don't try to blame it on an open window!
    I don't see why it wouldn't be covered by warranty. If they argue, see another dealer.

Man this really s*cks. Good luck!
    Normally, when a car has a leak the water pools in that area (it is likely the lowest part of the car). I would check all the seals and around the big windows/sunroof. It is very rare for water to come from the bottom of the car (unless you have been driving in a flooded area). You need to get the water out fast, if not it will rot your padding and carpet. Sometime roof racks can cause this problem when installed incorrectly. Let's hope it is not a bad body seam.

Good Luck.
    Did you find the leak?
    The car is going in for service next week so I'll give an update!
    I got my 2008 Veracruz back today from service and low and behold they couldn't find a leak. They told me that they "blew out" the drains that pool from the top of the vehicle to the lowest part of the car first. They could have had leaves and gunk stuck in the drains so the water didn't drain properly. Once they cleaned those out they tested for the leak and they didn't find one. So, I guess it's fixed. With a car that had less than 200 miles on it, I asked how it could have already had so much "gunk" in the drains and the service guy guessed it was just from sitting in their lot.

Problem fixed! The real test will come during out next downpour.
  • chasefranklinchasefranklin Member Posts: 5
    I bought my VC in early June and thus far have logged more than 13,000 miles, had four oil changes and rotated the tires twice. I am experiencing hwy mgp of 24 mpg with the cruis control off and 23.5 with the cruise control on. So far I have taken four or five longish trips with my VC. Seats are very comfortable and I did not have any complaints with handling or hwy response.

City/local driving I am getting 18.7 mpg when it a 70/30 mix of city vs. hwy. I tend to have a lead foot and so I figure I could get more if I nursed it. So far no quality issues. Very few complaints - chief among them the key fob accidently opens the rear hatch if I have junk in my pocket.

So while I hesitated at first to buy this car due to the Hyundai name reaction, I love it and my clients - almost all of them CFO's and other executives love the car. Most refuse to believe that it's a Hyundai at first.
    Is this place dead or what??? No more problems with the VC??

-Or are VC owners turning out to be like some other brands where people won't mention they have problems out of fear of being critisized?

hahaha HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I love my Veracruz and would buy it again! (except I would pick the one next to mine 'cause of the problem I had! lol ;) ) Problem is gone and I love it.
    I'd be happy to report on problems if I had any. 6 months old, 7000 miles. Running great and EVERYTHING works.
    Same here, not a single complaint since the stalling issue. I actually think the dealer/mechanic may have caused that loose connection when they had the VC in the show room. It was pluged into a 120AC outlet so the lights and other stuff may work without draining the battery.

Who knows.
    No problems since my leak. I think they fixed it by cleaning the vents because we have had more heavy rain and I've had no problems. Still loving my VC!
  • luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    Hey folks,

I am beginning my search for an SUV and will be trading a Subaru Outback XT Limited. Right now, considering the Tribeca and the Veracruz.

Just a quick question though. Does the Veracruz have an mp3 player input jack (ie. for ipod or similar player)?

LEAK: I know few people with Outbacks also complained about similar occurances...leaks in the passenger footwell. Turned out these people often parked near trees, and it had something to do with the condenser drain in the dash being clogged from debris, causing it to overflow and drain into the passenger footwell. I cannot recall the details unfortunately, but it was not water coming in from the outside.

Cheers.