Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Veracruz Initial Quality

1235»

Comments

• hvcownerhvcowner Member Posts: 36
    I bought my Veracruz (GLS) in April, 2007 and have about 15,000 miles on it. Here's some stuff I have had happen so far.

1. Air bag light coming on inexplicably (2x).

2. Latch on the rear storage compartment somehow "locked" permanently. Hyundai had to break the latch, and will be replacing it.

3. Air conditioning is totally broken (fan works; blows warm air). Going in to repair that on Wednesday.

4. Can't drive with sun roof open because the whistling noise is incredibly loud and awful. The wind vibrates the small piece that goes up and down when the glass opens and closes. I'm having a wind deflector put on and hope that will solve the problem. I'll keep you posted!

My concern is that I keep needing to return to Hyundai for service, and I really want more of a trouble free car. Hope these small items don't keep cropping up over and over again. Thank goodness for the great warrantee.

Otherwise I love the car. Super comfortable, and my kids think so too.
  • ajm25ajm25 Member Posts: 7
    HV, I was having the same problem with my sun roof, looked closer and the dealer had not removed the plastic film. Removed it and it's now completely quiet.
  • cruzin3cruzin3 Member Posts: 10
    I bought a 2007 Veracruz Limited last July, the first one that the dealer got in. I have had nothing but problems with this car and I'm considering arbitration to resolve the matter (in NV, you have to have the same problem four times). My first incident happened at approx 1,000 miles when my fuel pump failed to get enough pressure and my car almost left me stranded in the middle of the desert. I got the car back and had to take it back right away to get fixed again. I was not happy, but I had signed contracts so I was stuck with it. At 7500 miles, I had to have my fuel pump replaced once again because the car kept seriously lagging on hills and sometimes would not start or would have a very rough start. Once again, a new fuel pump. I now have 13,000 miles on my car and it's going haywire again. My ESC off light has started coming on, it once again started lagging on hills, and today it would not go in reverse. I doubt they will volunteer to take care of the problem so arbitration here I come.
  • jmaulsbyjmaulsby Member Posts: 54
    I have 15,000 miles on my 07 Veracruz and the vinyl on the armrests is arlready wearing down into the backing material. That was one thing that I could not foresee when I purchased my first Hyundai, the wearability of the soft parts. The armrests are under warranty, but I don't want to go through the replacement process every 15,000 miles. I hoped I was purchasing a vehicle that I could get over 100,00 miles without major replacement of interior parts. Maybe I am overreacting. My 1996 Ford Explorer had 180,000 miles on the armrest and no cracks or worn places.
  • hvcownerhvcowner Member Posts: 36
    Just thought I'd send along an update.

My Air Bag light is again on - - inexplicably. Just an annoyance, but 3x in 18,000 miles for no reason seems odd to me. Need to go back to the dealer ...

My A/C was fixed by the dealer under warranty. The compressor was totally shot and had to be replaced.

I had a wind deflector put on the car, and it completely solved the wind noise issue - - my advice is buy one of those with the vehicle as it is absolutely necessary.
  • vera7vera7 Member Posts: 2
    Have you gotten any resolution on this issue, and if so what was it? I have been back and forth with the dealership and Hyundai rep for over a year on this issue. The service manager has experienced the rough ride on a road test but the rep has not, and the computer does not pick up anything. I basically get the same answer as you -- it has to do with the mileage saving features.

I like my car otherwise, but the rough ride between 30 and 40 mph is very annoying.
  • ysmithysmith Member Posts: 8
    Yes, I fought with Hyundai for a year and finally decided to take the matter to Lemon Law court. When Hyundai figured out I was not going to back down, they offered me a new car. The new Veracruz drove like a dream, smooth as butter, for the first 5K miles. Now I am noticing a slight roughness at the same place--30 to 40 mph, but not nearly as bad as the first Veracruz. It is noticeable but tolerable.

With my first Veracruz, I insisted that the factory rep ride with us so we could demonstrate the defect. Even though he acknowledged it and gave it a name ("chuggling"), and changed out the computer in my car without effect, he had the audacity to say the car was "performing normally" and Hyundai's position was there was nothing wrong with my car and they were going to do nothing. Hence, I told them I'd see them in court. Four hours later I had an offer for a new car.

In retrospect I wish I'd pursued a refund via the Lemon Law and not accepted the new car, because frankly I had such a bad experience with Hyundai (they refuse to help you until you threaten legal action) that they don't deserve my business and I wish I wasn't out driving around in their product and being an advertisement for them.

The dealer I bought the car from also sells Fords, Toyotas, etc. When I received my replacement Veracruz (before any miles on it), I asked what they'd give me for it in trade for a different brand--and they said 20K. For a BRAND NEW car. I paid 34K for the Veracruz! So, it is a worthless piece of junk as a trade-in and now I am stuck with it. Even though it is loaded with every feature imaginable and looks great, it doesn't drive like a car compared to a Lexus should. False advertising all the way around. What good is a 100K, 10 year warranty that you can't access because the factory rep won't authorize repairs, equipment changes, etc.? No warranty at all.

Good luck, hope you get better results.
  • 07hyundia07hyundia Member Posts: 1
    Let's see if anyone can beat this problem.......11/24-driving home, everytime you tried to give the veracruz gas, it would sputter,vibrate, had no power, and seemed like it was going to stall. I managed to drive it home at about 30 mph. The next day I called roadside assist to flat bed it to the dealership/service garage. In the travels from home to the dealership, somehow the gas tank got a hole in it. Dealership gave me car for a rental, no updates on my vechicle. When I called 12/8, because I had not heard from them, I was assured it would be done by the end of this week. Well, here it is, the end of the week, and no phone call. I called them, and I am now being told the gas tank is on, but they are waiting for a hose, which will not be in until the week of Christmas!!!!! Still no idea what was wrong originally, they can't dignose it until they get the gas tank and hose back on. This is not the first I have heard of this problem. I am just absolutely jacked about the service, or lack of that I have rec'd. I own an SUV, and a car is all they have for rental. Who's fault is this, and isn't there anything else that can be done? :mad:
  • ksmigelksmigel Member Posts: 56
    Especially with models like the Veracruz and Santa Fe.

I think Veracruz buyers are particularly feeling burned because the vehicle is marketed as a Lexus alternative, and although it's less expensive than a RX350, it's still expensive in loaded form.
  • rudedawgrudedawg Member Posts: 2
    I have a 07 Veracruz Limited with 10,000 miles.
    After reading though this thread I have a couple other items that others may be able to comment on
    Many times the steering wheel fails to goes into the park position when turning off the key and/or fails to make it to the memory position when turning the key on. Since I can not reproduce it at will, dealer has been unable to find it or fix it.

Recently, the drivers seat feels like it is loose. When I stop and start, or if I simply shift my weight in the seat, it rocks back and forth and makes a significant pop sound.
    Dealer had the car all day and was unable to fix it. They said that it appears to be normal as they went and sat in another Veracruz on the lot and the seat also moved. This amount of movement simply can not be normal and am curious if anyone has also experienced this as well? ( dealer says it is normal )

It appear that the speedometer is off by about 2 mph. Every radar checking speed sign reads 2 mph slower than what my speedometer shows. I checked my speedometer against my portable Nav unit and guess what, It too reads 2 mph slower than the vehicles speedometer. How can I verify the speedometer is correct or incorrect?
    I know there was a class action lawsuit against Honda a couple years ago for the same thing. I owned an Acura and I got an extension on my warranty by several thousand miles due to the inaccuracy of the speedometer.
    Any one notice this discrepancy on their Veracruz?

One last thing, does the electric telescoping steering wheel supposed to be that loud?

Mostly, I like the Veracruz. I is the accumulation of little things that are starting to worry me and the dealers service department sux.

Thanx
  • aabruzzeseaabruzzese Member Posts: 16
    rudedawg, I don't think the seat should be moving. Mine doesn't (also a 2007 but w/25,000 miles) if it did my dealer would be seeing and hearing from me a LOT.

I had a horrible experience with the service department where I bought my 03 Santa Fe so I know how you feel.. The dealer I go to for service now is excellent so I know. If it weren't for them I probably would have never bought another Hyundai.
  • freda95freda95 Member Posts: 1
    Yes. Can you believe it! Problem solved!! My problem was with the alarm signal not disarming when opening car with key FOB. Only when I opened the tailgate FIRST was I able to open car doors without the alarm sounding. This went on for about three+ months. Tried dealer after dealer to try to resolve. No one seemed to understand why this was happening. Anyway, about the fourth time (because I just got tired of opening the tailgate (EVERYTIME I went driving) I said I'd try one last time. Actually I had posted a "Ask a Mechanic" question to one of the hosts' on-line mechanics on this site I believe. He explained the problem dealt with a bad signal from the door to the alarm - which proved true. Thanks, Mechanic. Anyway, what the dealership said was that since the computer could not identify the problem they thought it best to just replace the entire "alarm/lock module". Which they did!!! Surprise! Surprise!! It worked!! Of course maybe I shouldn't shout for joy too loudly -- but I'm a happy camper....for ...now. Just thought I'd share this and send a little sunshine your way, since we all bought a truly fine car and we don't want to forget all the research we did before buying our 2007 VC -- right? Right! Here's to continued enjoyment of our VC ride.
  • mdr1mdr1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 09 Veracruz on 9/1/09 and on 9/21/09, while my wife was driving my three children home from soccer practice, the vehicle lost power, started to shake, and nearly caused her to be rearended. :sick: Thank God for defensive drivers! Nonetheless, she made it home, despite the persisting symptoms, and I put it in the shop the next day. At this point, 9/23/09, two days later, the vehicle remains in the dealer's the shop; however, I was told to expect the vehicle tomorrow. :confuse:

Regardless of the discovered problem, I am utterly disappointed that my brand new Hyundai vehicle, less than one month old, has required service outside of regular maintness. If there was a return policy in place, the transaction would have already been completed! :lemon:

Where do I go from here????? Do I have any options????????
  • dolbowdolbow Member Posts: 5
    I have been very disappointed with the condition my Veracruz was delivered to me by Preston Automotive in Preston, MD. It had a large black ring in the back, as if a tire had been stored there, the carpets were stained and the dash was scuffed and scratched. I picked it up at night; won't do that again. The dealer cleaned the back carpet, and replaced the floor matts, but after a year and several requests, they have not fixed the abrasions on the dash. It is very obvious in the daylight. When a car is advertised as "everything you would find in a Lexus except the extra cup holders," you expect basic quality to be top notch. It was not.

I had been a fan of Hyundai, especially with their Hope on Wheels support of Childhood Cancer Research, but this is souring my opinion of the company. :(
  • mrs_olivermrs_oliver Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody else experienced the front passenager floor board wet? No rain, nothing spilled ( kids not even allowed to drink in my car), sunroof not open and the front passenager floor board is soaked. It has been cold so I have ran the heater. I have sat in my car in park with car running and heater on. I noticed the floor board wet on a Monday evening after driving it about 100- 150 miles the 2 days before. Service couldn't find the problem and had it for 5 days. I got it back and was told the sunroof has a drain hose that some how did not get connected, meaning the water was soaking the floor instead of going on the ground. I drove home from the dealership, about 20 miles and a few hours later got in my car to go somewhere and the floor is already damp and starting to smell musky. Again I had no rain. Haven't touched the sunroof but did use my heater on way home b/c it is chilly here. Is there a problem with the Veracruz? This is my first time buying one and I am already regretting it. I have had for 3 weeks. :cry: Thank you to all information, suggestions or just your help!
  • arizona103arizona103 Member Posts: 1
    Is there any known fix for this problem with the alarm where you use either the fob or the door handle convenience button to unlock the car but when you open the door the alarm goes off? The dealer said they wanted over $100 to investigate the problem and then they would tell us how much it would cost to fix. We have the 2007 Limited model. Thanks!
  • dbdadbda Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2009 Veracruz limited with 11, 000 miles. I was driving home with my family on the 4th of July as the sun was setting doing 75 mph. The truck then starts to shutter and losses power as the engine light comes on. I manage to pull off the road in some back ward town with a bunch of misfits. I call road side assistance which is advertised as "Assurance", what a joke. They were willing to toe my car to the nearest dealer 29 miles away, but I was 350 miles from home.

I managed to continue driving the Veracruz another 25 miles, barely. I rented a room for 125.00 at a Hampton Inn for the night. Early the next day I got the Veracruz to the dealer a few miles away. The tech diagnosed that the truck blew a piston. I could not believe this, 11,000 miles? How can this happen?

Hunydia is useless! They offered me through their road side assistance program, "interupted travel." Up to 100.00 a day, up to three days. I got on the phone with American Hyundai and pleaded with them to lend me a loaner car. I was at the dealer. The answer was NO! I was stranded in a backward town 350 miles from home and Hyundai turned their back on me and my family. I was traveling with my wife and two small children!

I had to get to the Regional Airport and rent a car from Hertz for 200.00 in order to get my family home. No thanks to Hyundai!

The Veracruz is at the dealer 350 miles from my home, I asked Hyundai to deliver the vehicle to me free of charge when it is repaired, good luck! Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Can I take action against Hyundai? I have had repeated complaints, the TPMS light goes on, and the dealer could not fix it. Another time the Veracruz lost power and was brought to the dealer. Now I have a blown engine! Does anyone know if I can take Hyundai to court and claim the lemon law? Any suggestion?
  • aabruzzeseaabruzzese Member Posts: 16
    That's sad to hear. At 11,000 miles I'd be upset too. Did you try to work out transportation with the servicing dealer? I'm not surprised about the loaner, but if they didn't try to help you with an alternative, that's a lousy dealer. Did they at the very least offer you transportation to the airport?

The dealer that services mine (not the dealer I purchased from) gives me a loaner if they have one, if they don't they have a deal with a few rental companies.The rental rates with them are very reasonable. I haven't needed that with my '07 Veracruz but I did a few times with my '03 Santa Fe.

Here are a few things they don't tell you when you buy a Veracruz.

- the 60,000 mile routine maintenance costs about $1200. There are a lot of useless items on their checklist. ($100 cabin filter - just tell them to blow it out!) To be fair, my servicing dealer says it's ok to to do the maintenance 'buffet style'. Pick and choose what and when.

- $350 to change the SPARK PLUGS! Apparently they have to take part of the motor apart to get to two of them.

- Rotors cost almost $200 EACH, add that to the cost of the pads and installation and your looking at a very expensive brake job.

- TIRES! The 18" tires (SE and Limited) are an odd size, your looking at almost $200 each. And that's from a tire dealer, not a Hyundai dealer. If you want Michelin, well that will be another $50 each.

All in all I like mine, even with the 'surprises'. I'm not sure you have much recourse. They only promised to fix the vehicle under warranty but you might check the lemon law, I'm not sure how that works in your situation. You may also want to check the better business bureau to see if there are complaints with your servicing dealer.
  • mihir98mihir98 Member Posts: 2
    My 2010 veracruz stutters / shutters as well. It has about 19000 miles on it. Lets collectively get a recall done! This is more widespread than I initially thought.
    I would love to get a recall, who knows where to begin?
    The dealer reminded me of the folks you would meet if you live in Mayberry. Nobody is in a rush to get anything done, nor did they seem motivated. The service guy gave me a ride to the airport but it seemed that it was a big deal.

Ultimately your right, I can't do anything, it's not apart of the warranty.

Does anyone know what a reasonable time would be for them to replace the engine if necessary?
  • cjw4cjw4 Member Posts: 1
    So sorry you had to go through that nightmare. We also had a nightmare last week with our 2009 Veracruz. Driving late at night from Ocean City, NJ to Philadelphia, the check engine light and all wheel drive lights came on, the car shook and slowed down to a stop on a major highway. We waited a few minutes, restarted the car, and the shaking and slowing happened again, but luckily we made it into a Wawa parking lot. WE HAD THE CAR AT HYUNDAI'S SERVICE THE WEEK BEFORE BECAUSE THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WAS ON, AND HYUNDAI SAID THE CAR WAS FINE!!! THEY SAID THEIR COMPUTER COULDN'T FIND ANY CODES!
    While stranded, we called AAA AND Hyundai Roadside Assistance. Hyundai said they'd tow our car, but couldn't help the 6 OF US get home. AAA, on the other hand, came with a huge tow truck which transported all 6 of us (and our car) home for a fee. The next day, I called Hyundai to tell them what happened. They said they wouldn't reimburse us for towing, wouldn't give us a rental car, and wouldn't tow our car to their shop free of charge. So, I again called AAA to (again) tow our car to the Hyundai shop (since I wouldn't dare drive it not knowing when it would just slow and stop). AAA towed the car to Hyundai, and Hyundai told me hours later that "they didn't have the car." They finally "found the car" in their parking lot and determined that four switches were faulty and replaced them. I continued to argue with them that they should have fixed the problem the week before when I first noticed the check engine light. They argued that they didn't see anything wrong with the car then, since the check engine light had not been on at the time they were checking the car!
    I am now driving in fear that this problem will occur again. Hyundai service is absolutely disappointing and downright rude. I wish the car would have been recalled rather than experience the car breaking down in the middle of nowhere late at night.Additionally, we emailed the main Hyundai headquarters explaining our disappointment with both the car and the service, and NO ONE REPLIED TO US!
  • xfiveohhxxfiveohhx Member Posts: 1
    I am new to the Hyundai family and am not liking it too much.
    I lease a2011 Veracruz appx 17000 mi on it. On a recent family outing upon my return my car the TPMS light and check engine lights went on. I brought it to the dealer where i am leasing from. They did a diagnostic and determined i needed a new transmission. I was shocked to say the least, even more when the told me there are none available in the ENTIRE United State. They said its on back order. I said ok I need a loaner car. You would have thought in was asking for a brand new 2012 Mercedes !!!!They said they don't give loaners. Im sitting and listening to a service assoc tell a customer i have a loaner available. Well i wasn't so nice I got the loaner...
    I went to pick up my car after 3 weeks only to have the TPMS light flicker and tease me AND NO BACKUP SENSORS!!!! COME ON HYUNDAI get it right I am bringing the car back tomm
  • hmah8erhmah8er Member Posts: 1
    Check out your state's lemon laws. I am going through the BBB Autoline process right now with my 2011 Veracruz. We have had several different issues, but one was a serious safety violation and it has occurred three times. I have found that HMA is not exactly easy to deal with, but I refuse to drive a car that I think is unsafe. :lemon:
  • ysmithysmith Member Posts: 8
    Document everything and don't be shy about calling the Hyundai headquarters in California. Ask for the factory rep to ride in the car and document, document, document. I had a 2007 Hyundai Veracruz POS with transmission problems--it took a year but finally Hyundai replaced it with a 2008. I wanted my money back but that is not what they offered so I took it...the 2008 is a POS too--but it has multiple other problems, not one major problem that they can't fix. I am about ready to trade the piece of crap off and get out from under it once and for all. I will never, EVER buy another Hyundai--as much for the way they treated me and fought with me for a year before doing what was right--as because they do not sell a quality product. Good luck!