Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Matrix AWD

fatcat57fatcat57 Member Posts: 2
edited July 2014 in Toyota
I recently purchased a 2006 matrix and was told that it was not an AWD. The vin# appears to be that of an AWD, per insurance. How can I verify if the car is FWD or AWD?

Comments

• kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Stick your head underneath the backend, and see if you have a driveshaft coming from the front of the car to the rear, and you would also have a rear differential in the middle of the car which connects to that driveshaft, and then connects out to the center of each rear wheel.

It would like like a big T under the car.

If you don't have that, then you are only a front wheel drive vehicle.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    One other real obvious thing, although certainly not foolproof if the back door has been replaced or repainted, is that all the Matrix AWDs have a badge on the hatch door that says 'AWD'. It is right next to the 'XR' badge if yours is an XR.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• fatcat57fatcat57 Member Posts: 2
    I checked underneath and it doesn't appear to be an AWD. There is no badge on the car. However, the VIN number does appear to be an AWD as found by my insurance company.

Does anyone know how to intrepet Toyota VIN number codes?
  • raythegermanraythegerman Member Posts: 27
    I am a retired insurance agent and when in the business we had a "symbol" book which we used to rate the physical damage (Comprehensive and collision) for each particular vehicle. This symbol book broke down the various VIN letters and numbers so that we could rate each vehicle accurately. You might want to check with your current insurance agent for the complete breakdown of each letter and number....Good luck...
  • raythegermanraythegerman Member Posts: 27
    I checked a N.A.D.A. book and noticed the following:
    KR3 in the serial number is a regular front wheel Matrix.
    LR3 in the serial number is an all wheel drive Matrix.
    KY3 in the serial number is an XRS Matrix model.
    This should help you indentify if your vehicle is an AWD or not....
  • hillhumhillhum Member Posts: 6
  • hillhumhillhum Member Posts: 6
    My rear Differential went out in my 06 matrix w/ 68K. Powertrain Warr. is 5 yrs. or 60K. Dealer quoted me price of $2388 to fix?? I said it should not have gone out as I have done EVERY maintenance on this car. They then offered me a measly 10% as a whiner/consolation fee. I then called the "customer center" of Toyota and was eventually told that they would up the "offer" to $600, and that was their final offer. I am so disappointed that this car has taken a dump after only 68K. And I think Toyota is NOT standing behind their product. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
This discussion has been closed.