Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rondo accessories

ramblinramblin Member Posts: 29
I'm looking for window drip guards and also wondering if anyone has found a hitch that would work for the Rondo.

I don't think that Kia USA offers either at this point.
Tagged:

Comments

• conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    KIA Canada has these parts listed so KIA US should have them, check it out at
    link title
  • ramblinramblin Member Posts: 29
    You would have to remind me what a worthless web site that is. I hope the person that designed it paid Kia America instead of Kia America paying for that web site.
    you could be right, but couldn't get further as it required a vin number from your vehicle.

Still puzzled as to why you just don't order the parts from your local KIA dealer?????????

Try these
    link title
    link title
    link title
  • ramblinramblin Member Posts: 29
    Last time I looked, the dealer didn't carry them. Still couldn't tell from Kia parts USA.

Thanks for the other links, will give them a look.
  • markwelchcamarkwelchca Member Posts: 3
    Yesterday, we bought our Kia Rondo, with nearly ALL available options, including the third-row seats. One major reason we chose it was because it has much more "workable" third-row seats than any comparable vehicles (many are accessible only to contortionists), and it has ample leg room in the second row for our growing 12-year-old; she absolutely couldn't fit comfortably in the back seat of our Kia Rio.

However, we immediately realized a problem: there is no cover over the cargo area. If we'd bought the car without the third-row seats, we would have had a cover. While there are several "hidden" compartments, they are very tiny (not even enough room for our first-aid kit), and we're concerned about leaving anything visible in the cargo area.

We'd really like to find one or two after-market cargo-area covers that could be used in both situations: to cover the tiny cargo area that's available when the third-row seats are up, OR to cover the larger cargo area that's available when the third-row seats are folded down. If anyone finds such a product, let me know (mark welch at mark welch dot com). Thanks!
  • medicinemanmedicineman Member Posts: 135
    markwelchca, have you checked out this thread yet?
    Security Cover for 7 Seater Rondo
    As far as I know, there's no simple way of adding a cargo cover in the seven seater without doing this installation.
  • jessinpghjessinpgh Member Posts: 2
    According to Kia USA, the 4 cyl is not available with either 3rd row seats or the sunroof. Both of these seem to be available in every other country. Anybody know the real scoop? I don't care whether it's EX or LX as long as it has these 2 options. I would prefer an EX as leather seats are easier to clean if you have grublets.
    Jess :confuse:
  • timtlmtimtlm Member Posts: 5
    I have the LX 4cyl with the 3rd row. According to the brochure and website, the EX 4cyl does not have the 3rd row option, but this may have changed since the brochure was published. Also, the sunroof is only an option with the EX version through the "premium package" (which also includes the infiniti sound system). You can always install leather aftermarket on the LX, but it wouldn't have the heated seats.
    I would hang on till the 2008 models are available in the US, here in Canada we've had 2008 models since mid-August and KIA Canada has expanded the line up over last year.

We have the EX available with a 4 cylinder with or without a 3rd row, and either with or without leather. Heated front seats would be standard in either case. The LX does not come with a 3rd row or many other options. Also new is black cloth or leather but only available with selected exterior colours.
  • rochestermn123rochestermn123 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a Kia Rondo with a roof rail and am looking for some suggestions for an alternative to the dealer supplied cross Bars (suggested MSRP, $ 200). Also, if anyone has a suggestion for me for the Roof box, then that'll be helpful before I go out to buy these 2 things.
    Just purchased a 2008 Rondo EX with the 2.4 and got the following accessories with it:
    - window visors (4)
    - rear bumper protector
    - all weather floor mats (3 piece)
    - hood protector
  • bgwbgw Member Posts: 116
    That's good dealing on your part, conwelpic. When my wife and I bought our EX V6 in August, we got a set of 4 snow tires, studded and balanced, installed on steel winter rims, with a value near $900 Canadian.
    I hadn't thought of the window visors though.
    sorry I didn't make myself clear, they weren't thrown in with the deal I just meant that I purchased these accessories with my new vehicle. However, I was very pleased with my purchase and the salesman was excellent, couldn't have asked for a better purchasing process.
    ... a faux wood dash kit that could be applied to the dash with adhesive.

... seat covers that could be used with the seat-mounted side airbags.

... a cold air induction kit.

... body effects similar to those on the Rondo SX concept, especially the grille insert.

What would YOU like to see?
  • hopx4hopx4 Member Posts: 11
    I have the 5-seater and was going to get the cargo mat shown in the Rondo accessory brochure, but Kia says is not available (in the US) so I'm looking at the cargo tray. For those of you that have one, is it flexible enough that you are not fighting with it when you are using the under-floor storage spaces?
    Not sure what the difference is between the cargo mat and cargo tray?
    I have the 5-seater and have the cargo liner which is available from the KIA dealers here in Canada. However, I got mine direct from Weather Tech (I believe they make them for KIA) because they offered them in three colours (gray, black, tan) where the dealer only has them available in black and I have a gray interior.
    It is very flexible and actually quite light, we find that when we put in a carpet liner (4' x 6' trimmed) for transporting our large dog (we recline the second row for this) we don't have to remove it and causes no problems as the lip is flexible enough not to interfere. Great protection for behind the second row.
    Conwelpic, I also use a carpet liner trimed to fit. I only have it behind the 2nd row (my basset hates to ride in the car) and it rolls up neatly to fit behind the 3rd row the occasional time that I need to use that row. When I fold the 2nd row forward, for longer cargo, I have a piece of blanket, also trimmed to fit, that when not in use fits neatly in the right rear covered cubby hole.
    My big issue with the Rondo`s hatch area is that the carpet is all light grey, and is composed of a material which shows marks if an item is pulled across it (like a box). My old 98 Legacy wagon had charcoal-coloured carpet that was made of a far sturdier material and which showed no real wear even after 9 yrs of hauling that basset around.
    And how are you finding the Rondo in your Ontario winter so far?
    no problem so far, the Weather Tech cargo tray is behind the second seat for normal use, but when I transport our Golden Retreiver we put in the 4 x 6 carpet which works out great. It hangs over the back entry trim to protect it when loaded the dog.
    But no matter what colour or material I had in the rear I would still cover it to protect it for use. I don't store the carpet in the vehicle, but just use it as required.

• ramblinmoramblinmo Member Posts: 38
    Weathertech now has front and rear side window deflectors for the Rondo. These are in-channel fit. Getting ready to order a full set. $106.95 with free shipping.
    in Canada they are $136.95 for a set of 4 or $70.95 for front set only + $10 shipping. KIA window deflectors are $110.25 for a set of four. Weathertech does not used tape to fasten it in place but the KIA ones do.

I had mine dealer installed when I purchase my '08 Rondo EX

If you get them dealer installed at the time of purchase you get a 3yr/60,000km warranty vs the regular 1yr/20,000km. This applies to all accessories.
    The accessory portion of the Canadian Rondo site (www.kia.ca) shows a towing kit available for the Rondo, but not the US Kia site. Same with several other accessories. I am thinking about a towing package also, but read in the owner's manaul or here on Edmund's that the capacity is only 1000 pounds. Since I'd be using mine mainly for bikes, I'll probably just use a roof bike carrier.
  • sra1sra1 Member Posts: 20
    Rented an 08 which had the Aux connection in the console, think I saw something on here about a difference between the 07s and 08s regarding this feature.

Thinking of buying a new 07 from a dealer near here.

My question is: Do the 07s have the Aux connection in the console ?? One I'm thinking of acquiring is an 07 EX V6 which has the sunroof and "uptown" radio option.
    U-Haul shows one in their catalog and Hidden Hitch, which also makes Valley Hitches, has one on their website also. So, they are readily available. U-Haul quoted $284.00 installed with all wiring ready to go for trailer.
    US 07s do not have Aux MP3 jack; you could probably have one installed and hidden in the glove compartment or the little storage shelf just above the parking brake release for less than $200. The only difference I can see between 07s and 08s (from online reviews) is the MP3 jack and darker tinted windows. I was going to hold out for an 08 if they were going to have power driver's seat, real trip computer and auto climate control like those offered in Canada, but since they don't I bought an 07 with rebate. I had my windows tinted for $225, but have not priced the MP3 aux jack installation yet.
    As near as I can tell, the factory does not offer tinted windows. Got a bid from one of the local tint shops for $178.00 plus tax. This is for a #30 tint, which he said was the lightest one available. Thats for all glass other than the windshield.
    Hopx4, I have a Canadian-model 2007 EX V6, and the owner's manual states the V6 Rondo can tow 2,000 lbs, 2,500 with trailer brakes.
    I find this a little low though. My 1998 Legacy Brighton AWD wagon, with a 2.2 litre 137 hp 4 cyl and 5 speed was rated to tow 2,000 lbs, yet the 182 hp V6 auto Rondo is only rated 2,000/2,500. Even odder, the Mazda5, with a 153 hp 4 cyl is not rated to tow at all!
    I think you've made a mistake on the towing capacity bgw. I have a '08 Rondo and on page 5/42 in my owners manual it states the 2.7L V-6 can tow 1000 without brakes and 2000 with, the 2.4L is also 1000 without brakes and 1500 with max coupler weight of 150 lbs (200 lbs on the V6)
    Conwelpic,
    Ooops! I did make a mistake. I wrote the towing capacities from memory but you are right - I went to the car and got the manual - sure enough, 2,000 lbs with trailer brakes.
    Geez, only 40 and making a mistake like that. I feel old now.
    Still, our old 137 hp Legacy was rated for 2,000 lbs, and the 153 hp Mazda5 (which I am NOT knocking, since I quite like it) is not rated to tow at all. I find this to be odd. Maybe Subaru overstated the Legacy's towing capacity? Nah, too much liability to do that.
    Correct. Edmunds has 1000 as the capacity in their specs section for the Rondo and I remembered that from doing my research; after posting this afternoon, I checked my owner's manual on the way home and saw the same numbers you posted.
    Has anyone added an Aux port to their 07, or had it done ?? ?? ??
  • mcreasymcreasy Member Posts: 3
    I bought my hitch from hitchesonline.com. They had a Hidden Hitch for $ 80. The wiring harness was $43 i think. I priced Uhaul and some other local dealers and they all wanted $150 and up. I found Overstock.com has a 2 pack of roof mounted bike carriers for $66. Haven't got those yet. Hope this helps out.
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    Pardon my ignorance, but what do these do?
    I don't own one, but I would like to see on the darker cars more of a chrome trim around the windows. I've seen some dark blue Nissans like that, and it looks great! :shades:
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    The main benefits are to reduce wind noise, minimize interior heat when parked, and helps to keep side windows dry in the rain by allowing you to open windows an inch or two.
    thanks alamocity for answering the question. Now the weather has finally improved in my area I am now making use of the window deflectors when I park my car, I'm sure glad I bought them.

here's a picture of my hood deflector if anyone is thinking of possibly purchasing one of these. This is the official KIA deflector and lists in Canada for $108.08, its easy to install.

Drives: 2008 Rondo EX, 5-seater, 2.4L
    It deflects...bugs?

About the little awnings on your windows, conwel, I guess I'm wondering, after alamocity's explanation (thank you) why you wouldn't just take the car to the window tinter and put about a 30% screen on the side and back windows? That's what a lot of people do down here in the sunbelt, practically as soon as they drive them off the lot. Is there any advantage to these devices you're using?

Thanks again
    irismq - from past experience, and I guess it depends where you live in North America, but this way it allows me to have all my windows open an inch or so while the vehicle is parked, allowing heat to escape from the car. Even with tinted windows the suns heat still comes strong through the passenger and drivers windows (tint is limited by law on these windows) and also the windshield. You have tremendous heat build up inside a vehicle and even with a/c it still takes a little while to cool things off and this helps speed up the process.
    Also (and this is what I found on my previous vehicle that didn't have them) if you got a sudden rain shower you didn't have to rush out to close the windows, or as in lots of cases it happened overnight while I was asleep and then had wet seats.

Also in some rain conditions (and also in some snow too) you can get fogging on the inside, so this way you can have the windows open a bit in a storm without any rain coming inside, to give your vehicle a chance to get the heat up to defrost it.

As I mentioned initially it was past experience that dictated the purchase and what I had gone through before and I feel in my case it was a very worthwhile buy. We also have a large dog and this will also allow us to have windows open without the wind buffeting that you normally get when you open a wind for just a bit. They are a fairly common accessory in my area and see them on a lot of vehicles.

As I have not had my vehicle through a summer, I'm still not sure whether to get tinted windows or not.

Drives: 2008 Rondo EX, 5-seater, 2.4L
    Interesting! FWIW here in the Southern Plains you can put a pretty dark tint and still be legal. Ontario may have different rules, true.
  • ramblinmoramblinmo Member Posts: 38
    Seems the two sources I found came to about $186 with shipping. Seems pretty high. Anyone find a better price or an comparative product that would work? Looking to put a soft cargo carrier on top.
  • taximom5taximom5 Member Posts: 43
    Does anybody know if it's possible to purchase an aftermarket auxiliary iPod connector for the Rondo? I saw in the Honda Fit forum some discussion about aftermarket ones, but couldn't find who made them or how they worked.

I have tried the FM transmitters, with very poor results. Are there any other options for those of us with a pre-2008 Rondo?
  • flipbflipb Member Posts: 18
    I went through the same dilemma for my 2007 Rondo LX.

Eventually, I found an FM transmitter that works reasonably well - iRiver's AFT100. I keep it plugged in at all times in the outlet inside the storage bin. When using it, I run the wire out the provided gap to my mp3 player, with a big, loose loop around the gear shift. I've found this improves the signal a bit.

If you haven't already tried one, I highly recommend getting an FM transmitter that lets you select any frequency, rather than the ones that only have 2-3 preset frequencies. I admit that my setup is not perfect. It's much clearer on long highway trips than for city driving. Another thing that helps is to turn up the volume of the mp3 player (rather than the Kia's radio). Turning up the radio volume amplifies the music and the static, while turning up the mp3 player's volume amplifies the music only. This does, however, use up your mp3's battery quicker.

I've still considered getting a hardwired Aux port installed, but I just can't justify the expense since the FM Transmitter works reasonably well for me.
  • ric_haleric_hale Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a used 2008 Rondo LX. Got a deal, partly due to dirty and damaged covers for the under-floor cargo space. Anyone know of a source of replacements for these? I can hide them with the cargo liner, but that doesn't address the problem of the broken handles...very hard to open the storage area using the handles as they currently are.

btw, I am enjoying the car. Had to buy it to replace a 2003 PT Cruiser GT which was totaled when a DUI (who was also texting) hit me and ran me off the Interstate. My PT GT spun and rolled over, but kept me alive!
  • tsm280ztsm280z Member Posts: 30
    Does anybody know of a supplier for a cold air intake for the Rondo?
  • 93949394 Member Posts: 74
    l'm not sure about the purpose of the hood deflector, but it does make the car look better.

any side effects like noise at highway speed, does it affect the fuel economy?

2016 eSoul - All Electric - Zero Emission
    Because I got the hood deflector installed on the Rondo when I first purchased it its hard to answer your question, but to my knowledge I can't see it creating any noise (there is rubber buttons mounted on the hood behind the deflector, if it ever bent enough to hit the surface) or affect on fuel economy - if it did it would be so small that it wouldn't even be worth considering - that's like saying that dirt on your hood affects fuel economy!

Both the hood deflector and the side window visors I have considered very worthwhile accessories after two years ownership of my Rondo and close to 50,000 km. Some hood deflectors go above the lights (like mine) and some only fit the front hood edge between the lights.
    I got it based on experiense in past vehicles that always seems to get pitted on the front edge of the hood. It does help to a certain extent in keeping bugs from hitting the hood, but not all the time.
  • bridgewaterguybridgewaterguy Member Posts: 2
    Over in the other forum, I saw the un-encouraging results on retrofitting an EX steering wheel to get the audio controls on an LX -- but how about other possibilities? Some aftermarket stereo/NAV units have their own wireless remotes. Is there any good place to mount those in the interior of a Rondo?
  • 93949394 Member Posts: 74
    conwelpic,

when you have time,
    could you post a few more photos of the hood deflector, from various angles, straight on, 45 degree, side, high and low, and perhaps zoom out a bit to get more of the car.

i've never seen 1 here with the hood deflector, and i'm seriously thinking about getting it.

thanks!
    2016 eSoul - All Electric - Zero Emission
    I don't know how to post pictures on this forum (not very user friendly like other forums), but if you go to the Kia Canada website and under Rondo accessories check out the hood deflector photo and its a good shot of what mine looks like - with it over the top of the headlights. Its held on by clips and there is also rubber bumpers mounted behind the deflector on the hood. I had it installed when I bought the car, but its not difficult to do.
  • ofionnachtaofionnachta Member Posts: 36
    For many years I have dealt with parked cars getting hot in summer by opening the doors wide, and also the back hatch if it is a wagon or minivan, to let the heated air escape. I also attempt, when parking, to position the car so the rear is facing the wind (not hard to do in a mall or grocery lot). This way, when I return & open everything, the breeze comes into the car from the open gate and blows out again via the front doors.

It doesn't take the heat from the seats, if they got warm, but it removes the heated air very fast! Much faster than an AC can.
  • jlarchitectjlarchitect Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I'm re-installing my Rondo hood deflector but no longer have the instructions tht show the positioning of the rubber bumpers and would appreciate knowing the approximate dimensions.

Thank you!