Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• gvanmoorgvanmoor Member Posts: 7
    Thought you'd like to know that since this morning the 2002 CRV is listed among Edmunds new cars. The invoice continues to be unknown.
  • sjmernstsjmernst Member Posts: 1
    I just got a roof rack installed on my '01 CRV. Have noticed a noise similar to driving with cookie sheets in the back since the installation. Planning on taking it back to the dealer for corrections but was curious if anyone else had experienced the same noise. Thanks for your help.

Stephanie
  • tatu1tatu1 Member Posts: 50
    Well, I'm about to buy an '02 LX, the best I could do was $150 off the sticker, plus they'll throw in keyless entry. Cost is $19,090, ttl is $1393, total cost is $20,483 at 5.9%. I know I'd do better to wait, but my 1990 civic is about to go and I've got two kids under the age of two to drive around....any comments ?
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Go for it.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Going into a dealer saying "I want to lease and this is the most I can afford for my monthly payment" isn't a bad idea if you've done your homework. I did just that when I bought the Odyssey, had a couple dealers balk but eventually I found what I was looking for.
  • SpyponderSpyponder Member Posts: 128
    The main advice I can give you re: leasing is to always negotiate price first. They call it "capitalized cost" on a lease worksheet, but it is the same as price. They will generally steer you towards negotiating payments, but if you negotiate a good price, the payments generally take care of themselves. It is one of the few variables you have control over in negotiating a lease, so be sure and pay attention to it.

Of course, if you're looking for an '02 CR-V anytime soon, it should be easy since the Cap Cost/price will probably be right aroung MSRP.
  • marky777marky777 Member Posts: 24
    I felt totally confused in the art of buying a car until I read this site: http://www.carbuyingtips.com. Granted, the guy is rather harsh in grouping car salesman with the demons in hell. However, after dealing with a few Ford salesman, I don't disagree with some of the tips he gives. ;) I learned a lot about how to actually determine the cost of a car, and how best to negotiate with the salesman.

Anyway, hope it helps...

• varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    Stephanie - Nope. I also have the OEM roofrack, but I've never experienced that. You could try moving the cross bars back and forth on the roof. This would change the airflow over the sheetmetal, but I'd still take it back to have the install checked.

Tatu1 - That price sounds pretty good, given the market obstacles. Get your order in now. The seatbelt recall may take a while to get fixed (Honda will have to manufacture a new part), so dealer stock will be very low for a while.
  • artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    .....do you have any pix (or are any available online) of the optional side-cladding for the new CR-V. As Nissan has apparently shot down any chance of the X-Trail coming here (their loss is Honda's or Saturn's gain), I'm refocusing on the CR-V and VUE. I'm not a big fan of cladding but when it's applied with restraint (Escape, Vibe for example) it can look ok. Anyway, as the EX with leather version (Fullmark-Type part-painted bumpers) is out of my price range, I'm probably looking at an LX or EX auto/AWD and anything to make the black bumpers/cladding look more integrated would help. I seem to recall you saying that the optional side cladding had that effect. Anyway, if you could point me in the direction of some pix, that would be much appreciated. (No CR-V's up here in the flesh in the GreatWhiteNorth as of yet).
  • tmanmiatatmanmiata Member Posts: 79
    Try this http://www.handA-Accessories.com/crvext02.html

They even have installation instruction up already. Installation doesn't seem to be, just tedious, but it will probably cost you a lot more if you have the dealer install it.

I am looking to install the security system myself. I was told by handA-Accessories.com that if they cannot prove any problems of your car is caused by your installed items, it will not void the warranty. Anybody has any experience or idea on that? The 02' security system is actually easier to install than the 1 gen. The funny thing is it has a microphone in it. I assume it is for glass breakage detection?
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    Does Handa-accessories sell genuine Honda accessories or are they aftermarket? In the pics the stuff looks like genuine Honda stuff.
    Yes, they are genuine Honda accessories. I have not ordered anything from them yet(still waiting for my CR-V) . If someone else have, please share your experience. I have sent email to them and they reply promptly. I am not sure whether they send parts to Canada, you may want to check.
  • lmastrianalmastriana Member Posts: 7
    Tatu1 - Did you get 5.9% financing through Honda? I asked a local Honda dealer and he said Honda's financing was about 7.0% The best I could find through the bank was 6.75% Curious to know where you fond that rate. Thx!
  • tatu1tatu1 Member Posts: 50
    I'm in Texas, I checked some of the local credit unions...University Federal Credit Union offers 5.9%, when I talked to the Honda Dealer he said that they could beat that (5.74%) as of today. Also, a friend of mine bought an Accord in San Antonio last week and got 5.9%. My bank (Wells Fargo) is offering 6.5%. I suggest you look into area credit unions...good luck.
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    The crossbars are a cinch but that fog light installation requires removing bumper , dash, shifter and know the radio antitheft code, lots of wires and stuff. I hope after market light kits are easier than this.

that Handa site is pretty good.
    Artdecho - The only pics I've seen were the ones in the CR-V brochure. The ones at H and A accessories are just as good. I thought that it linked the cladding on the front and back of the vehicle. However, someone in another thread remarked that the extra cladding made it look like an Aztek. They noted that the install job (I guess they saw one in person) left a bit to be desired.

H and A Accessories is a reputable biz. Many of us have used their service and I've never heard a complaint. Trevor, from H and A, has donated a number of items to be used as door prizes at CR-V meets around the US. He donated an OEM skidplate for a meet that Chas and I were planning. When the meet fell through (bad timing), I was allowed to use the plate for another meet. I'm hauling it down to the St.Augustine Scrub down in Florida where it will be given away.
  • motormindmotormind Member Posts: 6
    Just got my first look at the 02 at lunch today. The salesperson said they couldn't sell them yet because they haven't completed their 2002 CR-V "sales training" (we all know it's the recall). I'm sure if there wasn't a recall and someone wanted to buy one on the spot, they would forgo any necessary "sales training"!

The exterior changes are very subtle. A passing glance and it doesn't look much different from the previous generation. The passenger space doesn't seem much greater than my '97 CR-V, but the cargo area is much taller (reduced floor height). The driving position is much improved including the seat height adjustment which was useless in the old model. The saddle color is sickening though. The black interior actually looks "black" (from photographs I thought it looked more gray). Hopefully the real improvements will be in the driving experience. Won't take much to beat my '97's anemic 126 hp!
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    Sites that sell "Genuine Honda Parts" are basically the online arm of ordinary Honda dealerships -- so they are all legitimate businesses. (I believe one of the exclusive perks of having a dealership franchise is being able to sell OEM parts.) Here are some more dealer websites:
    handa-accessories.com = Carmichael Honda in Sacramento
    hparts.com = Steve Bailey Honda in Bethany OK
    hondapartsforyou.com = Fair Honda in Danbury CT
    partscheap.com = Wittmeier Honda in Chico CA
    They don't mention the dealership by name on their websites, but they sometimes will admit to being dealerships, and if you take their addresses and cross-reference them against the dealer locator on honda2001.com, it's easy to figure out. (Tip: Avoid buying from any website that doesn't list an address!)

When you're getting ready to buy a new car, always shop around for financing first before arranging it with the dealer. When I bought my CR-V, the dealer ran my credit and offered a rate. When I pulled out my best offer from E-LOAN . . . the finance guy "suddenly remembered" a way to get me something even lower. That was nice. :)
    Yeah, those foglights seem like a pain to install. For stick shift, you even have to losen the seat and remove the shifter. But it fits nicely with your existing wire harnesses and holes. At the minimum, for aftermarket lights, they will have to get to the fuse box. We will see. I guess everytime you unplug the battery, you need the radio antitheft code, don't you?
  • beatfarmerbeatfarmer Member Posts: 244
    Thats funny, when I bought my '99 'V, the finance guy did the same thing. Suddenly, their "best rate" which was half a point above what I got online was reworked and was now a full point lower.

I have purchased from H and A, Hondaparts, and hondapartsforyou. Each time the parts came quickly, complete and undamaged. Couldn't ask for more from an online store. Now if I could only get my local dealer to match prices...
  • artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    Saw the pix at handa as well as Honda.com....they
    have the new CR-V listed now with pix, accessories,brand comparisons etc....you don't have to go to the new micro-site anymore (although there is a link). looks ok but i'd have to see it in person and not sure i'd want to fork out a grand ($Can) to get it including installation. Read the install instructions @ handa....you have to take off inner fenders, inner door panels etc.....sounds kinda messy.
    Too bad Honda just couldn't make it look integrated to begin with....
  • dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    if you go for the 2002 cr-v you will not be on the road for at least a month. if you are saying your civic is on it's last leg, i would look into something more readily available, like a 2001 cr-v, or another civic or accord
    if he really likes the '02, wait for it even if he has to rent a little Toyota Echo to run around for a month.
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    This is the going rate in Tulsa for above 700 credit. Not bad. This is the best rate to be had. Personally, a tax deductable 5% equity line of credit makes much more sense.
    Funny how a dealer said no drive now, we are doing sales training. I guess that sounds better than yea just came out and recalled for safety!
    INKY
    It is sales training if you think about it: "How to hide the truth from your customers" A very valuable skill in that profession
    I told the salesman to call me when he's ready to sell for $500 over invoice. He called me this evening, I drove to Gillman Sharpstown in Houston. Placed a $200 deposit. He promised possible delivery next week. Seatbelt parts are on the way from Japan. Said its going to be new shipment, not a demo ( On the order sheet, he put down the serial number of the demo I drove on Monday, claims he doesn't have the number of car coming in and he has to use that serial number to get computer print out prices etc.) He looks honest enough so I signed. His name is Moon,

Its a silver EX. Price $21539.53 . I didn't see the invoice but that sounds about right, add TTL etc.
    Final price is $23098.92.

Another poster bought one in Oklahoma ? $316 over invoice ? had to fly out to get it.
    I think I did quite allright.

Like I posted before, Honda has lot of CRV capacity , competition is many times before, 0 interest, 100k warranty at competitors got to hurt. Did I mention the new V is mediocre in most categories?

The recall made it difficult for them to sell the newV also. The manager was saying no discount for 3 month. Well , its a little over 3 days, give him credit for that. ha ha ha.
    Gillman in Rosenberg has a Chianti Red LX with cladding added. Does seem to improve the look, sportier, less an econobox look. Dealer added a window sticker, $695 for paint protection. $169 for mats, $295 window etching, $849 side cladding, $163.71 cargo cover. $195 mud guard.

I don't have any of those on my ordered V.
    I'd be a little concerned about the fact that the salesman put the whole serial number of the demo. Legally, haven't you now contracted for that specific vehicle? They may have to put in a number to process the order, but from my experience, they only need to fill in the first 6 or so letters/numbers on the form, and then fill in the rest when the order is confirmed and the whole number is available. You should get something in writing to verify that you are not getting the demo.
    That's my concern also. But salesman insist its normal and deposit is refundable. I'm betting they will not cheat a customer for $200.

The timing of delivery is also a concern. Will they get new car in next week? or next month ?
    A member at the CR-V IX (who had to return his '02) has confirmed what Scname wrote above. Honda has a replacement part of the seat belts and is shipping them out now.

Here's a note from TOV
    Well I guess the worst that can happen is you walk away from the deal and lose $200. I still would've felt better if he didn't write in the entire serial number.
  • dickbrubdickbrub Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone negotiated buying their CR-V from American Honda Lease for less than the residual price? My price would be $13,988 for a 99 EX with automatic, and the blue books say the dealer value is about $12 K. You would think they would "make a deal" with a present lessor to get it off their hands. Any ideas?
  • trav2002trav2002 Member Posts: 3
    The first Honda dealer I went to was really bad. I purchased my 96 Accord LX new there so I gave them a chance first. Test drove the 2002 CR-V EX with a young internet sales director (20 yrs old or so) and he lost the dealer plate on the highway. I helped him locate it and even got out on the highway to get it for him. Back at the dealership he would not budge on MSRP and gave me my deposit back. I left and contacted another local dealer. Older sales guy who also did not budge on MSRP but was able to provide a good discount on the dealer installed accesories I wanted. I purchased from them because the buying experience was much better and they actually gave a damn about making a sale. If you do not like the dealer either walk out or ask for another sales person. You'll be glad you did. I put money down on the CR-V EX eternal blue pearl/black cloth interior, security system, Chrome Exhaust Finisher, Hard Spare Tire Cover, Leather Steering Wheel Cover and Tweeter Kit. They said it shipped on Nov. 11 from Japan and will be here in three weeks to a month but no exact date. They also mentioned 5.9% interest for 60 months. They also mentione the recall on the seat belts and could not even test drive at that time. They said parts would be in when my CR-V arrives.
  • yachtieyachtie Member Posts: 29
    For those who are somewhat concerned re the stopping distances of the new CRV there is a new test out in which the CRV beats everything in the test except the MB ml500. the other vehicles tested were the Jeep Liberty,Saturn Vue ,Suzuki xl7,Envoy,Explorer,Xterra,Audi Allroad and Cadillac Escalade.
    From the look of the picture and price, they tested an LX version although in Canada I believe(unconfirmed so far) that the LX version comes with ABS.

Here is the link.http://www.bcaa.com/automo/automo_buying_ccotyw4.html
    Interesting. Has anyone else ever noticed that Honda products tend to do reasonably well (mid pack or better) in 60-0 tests, but not so good from 70-0? I've noticed this with the current CR-V and several other products. It looks like the '02 may be following that trend.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    regarding Honda brakes, are warped rotors. Every Honda car that I've owned—and I've owned a bunch dating back to 1976—has at some point had a problem with warped brake rotors. Every one! Has this gotten any better with new models?

Bob
  • scottmgscottmg Member Posts: 1
    Help! I have an automatic 2001 SE with 3000 miles on it. I tried to place the transmission in a lower gear (2 or 1); but it was stuck and will not budge.
    The dealer says it is probably just a switch or cable. Anybody experience something like this?
    Thanks,scottmg
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Bob: IMO Honda ought to switch to twin-piston calipers to better dissipate heat when braking. Heat build-up may also explain the longer stopping distances from high speeds.

Any how, a good rule after a hard stop it to let off the brakes (as long as it's safe), because your pads cool at a different rate than the rotors. Also make sure your wheel lug nuts are properly torqued. Either can cause warped rotors.

For anyone in the DC area, Ourisman Honda is advertising 0% financing. It's just that dealer, not a Honda offer. Though they've had markups in the past. Still may be worth a phone call.

-juice
    We've also had a bunch of Hondas over the last 25 years, the only one that had a problem with warped rotors was an '89 Accord Coupe. Of our current cars, the CL-S is too new to tell, but the '97 CR-V, going on 5 years, has been remarkably trouble-free.
    I posted a few , chianti red with body cladding at Yahoo . You have to join the club to see it. Its free . Anyone wants to post the photo here is welcome.

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/hondacrv

I think the cladding helps the car not look so tallish.

• vmaturovmaturo Member Posts: 71
    Not a single person complains about the lousy warranty.( equal to GM/Chrylser/Ford(except Focus)). Instead I read all the whining about this line and that line, too busy for me or some other nonsense. It's like you thought Honda was designing the car for YOU. Just little old you. Get over it and complain about something important like that stinky warranty.
    ......I went to a local Honda dealer twice today. The first time I rode up on my bike and the second time in my car. I was treated better than I had EVER been treated at a Honda dealer before. I was offered a test drive, but declined. Instead I sat in the back seat while another customer drove.That person invited me. I thought that was nice.
    I have become much less subjective and much more objective when I look at a car. It is no longer about everything to please "me". Now I expect a car to be designed with broad appeal in mind. Let's face it, there are about 270 million people in the country. No car can be all things to all people.
    Bottom line...I loved the 02 CRV. ( and by no stretch of the imagination am I a "Honda Lover with inhouse shrine". I could talk for an hour about things I don't like about Honda and Hondas, but I think this CRV ROCKS. I loved it. For me at least, there isn't another Honda that I thought very much of ( including the Acura Legend I owned years ago). I rode in this car with two other people. I was impressed with every single thing about this vehicle. Of course it could have more power, more this more that. But I never felt it NEEDED anything more. Everywhere I looked, I was impressed (again, too much to list).
    IMHO, this is a "home run" in my books, from a company that needs to get with the program and give a warranty equal to what other Japanese Auto Cos. give.
    ....Love the looks,ride,features and at a fair price.

P.S. There was an 01 near the 02. Of course you can tell where the o2 came from, and yet they are worlds apart. Night and Day.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Honda is missing the boat. The last generation CR-V did so well because other car-based SUVs were not up to par.

But the game board has changed - competitors are offering more powerful V-6's, better design elements and more excitement to the game.
  • magickman42magickman42 Member Posts: 4
    hi folks---i am surprised at a lot of the negative things i have been reading on the boards. the reaction of the people that i have shown the new crv to has been very positive... they like the bolder new styling, the increased horsepower and torque, the handling of the car, and of course the increased cargo space. i personally like the car. is it perfect.....no. but i feel it is a fun car to drive and is an exciting redesign for the honda lineup. when i went to the ride and drive in philly, they mentioned they had talked to crv owners about what they liked and disliked about the old model. i think you should email your comments and thoughts to honda. they will listen because they value their customers' insights. thanks for reading and thanks for caring so passionately about honda products...i feel we in sales should be grateful to have such loyal, passionate followers.
    vmaturo - I had 25,000 miles on my '99 before I considered it broken in. It's got 50K on it now and and the only things I've replaced is fluids, filters, and a set of wiper blades. Why would I want to pay for a warranty?

Diploid - Yep, the competition is pretty lousy. That V-6 Xterra looks like a sissy car. So does the V-6 Grand Vitara. The Forester has altogether too much torque and, lets face it, it handles much too well. Those RAV4s never break when they're supposed to and why on earth can't they use more gas?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Actually, if you really want to see some negative comments, try this board :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    varmit - LOL.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with complaining and whining about the new CR-V.

Just as someone said, the car is not for everyone. If every post read "Just got my brand new CR-V! Love it! Absolutely nothing wrong with it!" - I wouldn't see a purpose in this forum.
    I think that the problem is that we all know the positive traits of the new CR-V and they're the same as positive traits for the old CR-V. It's got a good amount of space, predictable reliability, good mpg, good safety... So the positive stuff is not news. On the other hand, whining and complaining never goes out of style. =)

And now for something completely different. Here's something I've mentioned in the past, but never had a picture for until now. I've often mentioned using the bed feature in the EX to haul long pipes or planks. Here's some 10ft sections of trim and molding for the new kitchen. It was raining that day, so using the roof rack was not an option.

• sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    Sure, we can complain that 3yrs/36Kmi looks paltry next to the competition. But I don't think it's been a significant issue to the owners. Quite frankly, the relaibility track record of the CR-V has been that good. That's why current owners like me must settle for nitpicking about superficial things like body lines.

As long as Honda isn't hurting for sales, don't expect to see the warranty change. They can keep a better warranty up their sleeve until they need to generate more dealership traffic (see Hyundai). Meanwhile, the extended warranties can continue to be a fat profit stream for the dealers -- I don't think they're itching to give that up anytime soon.
    That's a good point. We often forget that Honda makes a profit selling cars to dealerships not us. They have to keep the dealers happy. Adding to the length of the warranty means that the service dept makes less profit on the work they do. Hondas are generally reliable vehicles. Servicing them is not the most lucrative part of the business already.
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    Stopped and looked at 02 and wanted to see what all the hoopla was about the cloth colors and patterns. I looked in the LX and thought-yuck. The 01 cloth was very nice. sorta like the now retired Integra pattern. UPscale and tasteful.
    Yes the LX in beige is way off the mark in my opinion. the EX was much easier to look at without all those colors.
    PS thanks to mysterious person who told Mark Roberts that I referred them!
    INKY
    INKY