Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Camry

Comments

• radmadradmad Member Posts: 6
    Wow!!! What an answer. So, the bottom line is...It works the way it was design to work? I guess I'll have to live with it. Thanks for the reply wwest. :surprise:
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I don't have much to add except you should keep in mind, remind the dealer, that the front drive halfshafts and their CV joints can be slightly unbalanced or maybe even defective and thereby be a cause of wheel vibration.
  • milkyway1milkyway1 Member Posts: 18
    Anybody have experience with both SE & LE. I'm leaning more towards SE because it comes with stability control bundled with it. Also, is it possible to fit a full-size spare in the well (to replace the temp. tire?

What are the key things lacking in the SE that make the LE more popular?

Personally, I wanna get the V6 but reliability ratings scare me. Is it really that big of a deal if I go for a 2008 model, or would a 4 cyl be a safer bet. Please 'enlighten'
  • bobveebobvee Member Posts: 17
    WWEST: Thanks for your comments.

Bobvee
  • iplanetiplanet Member Posts: 27
    Hi,

Just got new LE (4cyl). What do you recommend for the fuel? Premium or regular? The manual said OK to use regular but would like to hear from you guys.

Thanks in advance.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    20K+ of regular fuel (all types)...runs perfect
  • guruunoguruuno Member Posts: 23
    For years, I had many similar issues with tires, vibrations, etc.
    Dealer to dealer, shop to shop.
    When it was always over, I was told several things.

1> Our equipment can only high speed balance up to 65 MPH

2> The legal speed limit is 65MPH, so we have only the obligation to make sure the issue does not occur with the legal limits, not over.

I 'tried' to counter many dealers, telling them I travelled cross country, and in Montana, the limit was 85MPH or even non-existent.

When it worked, I got my way, when it didn't, I had another coronary.

Just a FYI........
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Regular is perfectly fine for the 4-cylinder.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    I'd say go for it. If you want the v6 get the v6. No car in the world is perfect that I know of. I'll talk with my master tech tomorrow (again) and see what's going on with the 08's/
    Mackabee

• phx1021phx1021 Member Posts: 8
    Radman, I think this is common on Toyota's with Auto Climate Control but I don't think the Camry SE's have that.
    On my 4Runner I have to keep it in manual mode to prevent it from having a mind of it's own and switching the recirc off.
  • bwhalerbwhaler Member Posts: 9
    Hello. I was wondering if any of you know if the 6 speed transmission flare has been fixed?? I have been seeing many posts here & elsewhere. Seems that some 2008 models still have the problem.

Interstingly, I have read how the V6 Camry has been dropped in ratings from Consumer Reports due to the number of transmission complaints. The irony in this is that the Lexus ES350 is still recommended and yet has the same transmission. I have found posts @ Clublexus.com whereby people are compaining about [non-permissible content removed] flare. Not sure why the Camry gets spanked while the ES 350 does not..... :confuse:

Any light that you guys can shed would be great. My friend has a late 2007 V6 model and has had no trouble. It seems that 25% of V6 owners are complaining. Wonder if driver habit has anythign to do with the shift flare by learning ones driving style and programming shift points in the ECM.
    FYI:- Today I was at the dealer getting an OIL change done for my old camry. I was sitting in the waiting room next to a gentleman who was getting his 07 V6 serviced. I raised the same issue. He said that he had verified with many at Toyota manufacturer/dealer that the RPM movement was not really a problem but still he said that the car's shifting was a nightmare on an uneven highway. And he had gone through a transmission replacement.

It seems to me that this 25%, 75% logic doesn't hold because there are people who fail to catch this erratic RPM behavior and there are some who are very quality conscious especially if they've driven a previous gen. camry.
    I was at the dealer today and I saw a LIMITED EDITION Camry. It had contrast leather seats and a rear DVD Entertainment System with a swivel screen. The car looked really nice from the inside. The interior looked little bit different than a regular v6 Camry XLE.
    I have an 08 Camry SE with the V6 engine. Have close to 3000 miles on it and no transmission problems whatsoever. So far I'm pleased with the transmission/engine operation. BTW: the V6 is a very powerful engine and results in a very fast accelerating car.
    Camry vs ES350 disparity...

Might have something to do with the ratio of Camrys sold vs ES350 and the fact that the Lexus dealers might be more willing (higher profit margins) to step up and fix problems.
  • bwhalerbwhaler Member Posts: 9
    Thanks wwest. I have seen your name throughout many posts and you seem to following Toyota / Lexus diligently. What is your take with the new 6 speed auto? Do you think Toyota is through the mud yet with the shifting issues???
    I have been thinking of buying a V6 Camry or maybe spoiling myself with an ES350, but given the heartburn that some have gone through in these posts, I can't quite build the confidence to buy one. Some posts at other forums make you wonder if someone is being honest about the car from personal experience or if they are merely smearing / slandering a model for unilateral gratification. I love how Toyotas look, feel, and how they fit my body. But not enough to go through major problems and headaches. Thank you in advance for your time. I look forward to your response and any direction you could give.
    After the customers have had to endure the issue of 1-2 second downshift delay/hesitation I am really surprised that now we have the issue of upshift "flare". I can't imagine how Toyota/lexus could get off track so thoroughly and so quickly.

I'm at a total loss as to what to suggest as an alternative.

Meanwhile I plan to keep my '01 AWD RX300 until things sort of settle down.
  • robert47robert47 Member Posts: 13
    How can we disable the beeping sound when lock/or unlock the doors?

Thank you
  • japatarjapatar Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know of an aftermarket product that I can buy to protect the skirting on the front of car? It sits so low and has an issue when parking head in with a curb. I'll go broke on touchup paint if not!
    I have the same problem on my 08 SE. Last week ii parked in a spot with a high curb and scratched by left front skirt. Luckily it is not too bad - can be polished out. I don't know of any aftermarket product such as a skirt bra, but I do some research. Hope other readers can give us advise. Perhaps TRD (Toyota Racing Department)??
  • anttorresanttorres Member Posts: 1
    I agree, is this really a tire problem?? My 07 Camry w/ 13K and Michelins on steel wheels, steeringwheel starts to vibrate and favor the left at 65-70mph and above. I had the wheels balanced and rotated twice and had a wheel alignment done at "outside" shops which did not fix the problem. I then took it in to the dealer for service. Two different techs drove the car and witnessed the problem so they performed a road force balance and alignment which did not fix the problem. And get this, when I took it back to the dealer they gave me a 07 Camry loaner which had the same vibration and steering problem......?? My thoughts were that I had a bad tire, I have the Michelins; but the loaner had the Bridgestones....surprise!!
    Dealer opened a ticket with Toyota technical and they were told that other Camry owners have complained about the same problem but they do not have a resolution at this time... :(
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    Vibration at high speed could be warped rotors if you are breaking at high speeds.

I have an issue with my camry 01 when I have 2 tires in the front it vibrates at higher speeds. When I have them rotated the vibration stops. Since I have changed the tires many times during the life of the car it does not appear to be a tire or balancing issue. It appears to me to be an out of round tire rim. I live with the problem because its not that bad but I think its a bad tire rim. I have never had a wheel alignment but doubt that will fix anything. I have never had a car that had a wheel alignment that ran any better after it. So I decided why waste the money.
  • newcamryownernewcamryowner Member Posts: 2
    Is anyone experiencing a clicking noise coming for the CD? I have the Premier 6 disc CD changer and hear clicking noise coming from the radio area quite frequently and it sounds just like the clicking that happens when I change the CD.

• stlpike07stlpike07 Member Posts: 229
    Does the sound occur when you are driving or sitting still. If while sitting still is is likely the cd player, and if you can "re-produce" the sound, take it to the dealer to be fixed. If it occurs while driving, it could be a rattle, and if you can duplicate the sound, take it to the dealer to be fixed.
    "What are the key things lacking in the SE that make the LE more popular? "

There's nothing lacking on the SE that the LE has. On the contrary, you get more with the SE. They are basically two different Camrys. The SE has sport fabric or perforated leather (optional) the ground effects, rear spoiler, fog lights, 17 alloys, three spoke leather covered steering wheel, blueish gauges, sport tuned suspension, Bluetooth capability with JBL upgrade stereo.

The LE is the "bread and butter" Camry. Volume leader which has all the usual standards such as pw/pl/pm, a/c, cruise, cd, power driver's seat, keyless remote, cd player.

I doubt you'll find any 07's left. I've driven a V6 SE and have had no problems with it. I wouldn't hesitate to get the V6, OR I would rather get the V6.
    Mackabee
  • amnjamnj Member Posts: 3
    I've had my new 2008 Cmary for 7 days and I'm having a problem with the cd player. It stops playing after a few songs and won't eject the cd. Anyone else having this problem and/or know any simple solutions?
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Did you make sure the CD wasn't dirty or scratched ? Sometimes dirty or sractched CD can do that to a CD player. It happened to me.
  • amcamry08amcamry08 Member Posts: 5
    same problem here, the cd won't play or eject and I have found other people with the same exact problem "Error 1".
  • stlpike07stlpike07 Member Posts: 229
    I'd take it to the dealer, if it does it again I'd ask them to install a new cd player. IF they said no, I'd try again, and if need be call corporate Toyota and have them make the dealer install a new unit. Everything is covered under warranty.

Good luck!
  • cwickhamcwickham Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I've had my camry for 5 days now; '08 LE 4 cyl. When I'm driving at night with the lights on I've noticed a "hot" spot on the gear shift box. It's next to my right leg and is on the vinal and the metal. The spot is about the size of my thumb and it can get very hot. I don't have seat warmers that I'm aware of, any ideas? :confuse:
    12 volt energized shift lock solenoid that keeps you from shifting out of park unless brake is applied.
    Okay, that tells me what is in there, but why does it only get hot when the headlights are on - this is an "all the time" feature, wouldn't it be hot the whole time I'm driving?
    ???

No idea.
    Thanks. Anyone else have any ideas?
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    i think one would logically conclude that, yeah.

so i think perhaps the bulb which is illuminating the various shifter positions (is there one?) is giving off substantial heat. i think you are correct, if it's only when the head-lights are on...

does your manual provide instructions on replacing the bulb? if so i'd pull it and see if the area with the lights on are now cool.

it's possible there is an LED replacement for an incandesent bulb, but the "color" maybe a bit different. it should radiate less heat though.
    I didn't see anything in the manual - I'm still just trying to figure out the "fun" stuff on the car...I'll look again, thanks.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    no problem. maybe the engineers were thinking of a means of providing a cup warmer feature or something. :shades:
    Had to give up my weekly Coffee Bean stop to make the new car payment - folgers for me for the next few years. Thanks again.
  • amcamry08amcamry08 Member Posts: 5
    Any updates? as I have the same problem.
  • atoyot1atoyot1 Member Posts: 1
    My experience with the V6 07 Camry has been pretty bad. New transmission before 20,000 miles. Friends of ours have had transmission issues with older Camry models. Judging from the history I would be very careful. Our Camry 2007 with low profile factory installed rims also eats tires like a drag racer. Average tire life on the best tires like Michelin and others is 12,000 miles. Toyota as a corporation is also very arrogant about it. If they remain that way they will loose a lot of customers.
  • autokritikerautokritiker Member Posts: 65
    I recently rented a 2007 Camry 4cyl for 2 days, as I'll be purchasing a car within the next few months.

I'm going to try to rent as many different models as I can before I purchase one, to get the best idea of how they stack up overall.

The car I rented only had 19K miles, and the interior already had squeeks and rattles. The transmission seemed confused when going up hills or downshifting. When accelerating from a stop, there was serious hesitation (electronic throttle issue?). I was expecting decent build quality from what I've seen in past Camrys, but overall the car felt very cheaply assembled.

The handling was horrible. I've driven a 4,200 pound Mercury Grand Marquis that handled flatter and more responsively. The engine also felt underpowered, more like a 4cyl from the early 90's compared to the newer 4cyls I've experienced.

I definitely will not consider a Camry. What I really don't understand is how this car won any awards.
  • ram10ram10 Member Posts: 5
    I am also experiencing the same on new 2008 camry le single cd changer.

did you get it fixed? How did you get it resolved.

Thanks,
    Ram
  • newcamryownernewcamryowner Member Posts: 2
    I have not taken it back to the dealer yet. I plan on doing that this week. After trying to duplicate the noise I am beginning to think that it is coming from the heater. Are you in an area that you use the heat? If the heat is on high I really get a lot of clicking noise behind the air control knobs. If I turn the heat to mid range or lower I do not get the noise. My husband thinks it is in a thermostat in the dash.

Still checking it out.
  • carhelp7carhelp7 Member Posts: 6
    Hello mackabee............still waiting on that info from the "master tech" re: the 08's.
    4cyl problems vs. 6cyl problems. Please let us know anything you can.

thanks
    I believe I posted the reply in the Camry transmission problems forum.
    :shades:
    Mack
    You may want to read up on the fuel pump self check test. There should be in your glove compartment a small tag that was affixed to the shifter and tells about a clicking noise that may be heard after shutting the car off. Check owner's manual also. Might not be this but it's worth looking into before having the cd unit replaced.
    Mack
  • probmanprobman Member Posts: 4
    heated seat switch on outside of each seat not above shifter has in manuel, is this an aftermarket install? Seats do not reset when car turned off, come back on when car started unless turned off on each seat. Option listed on sticker as factory and dealer add-on
  • ggre123ggre123 Member Posts: 2
    I've had the same problem. I just took it to the dealer yesterday to have my radio changed out. I'll let you know if that fixed the problem. I think the CD might be overheating. To eject the CD, this is what I found that works:
    Before you shut off your car fo the night, turn the CD player on. Before you get the "Error 1 ", shut he car off. The next morning, start the car. The "Welcome to Camry" message will come up, and your CD will start playing. Hit the eject. The CD will come out! I did this for weeks, until I ordered a new radio.
  • amnjamnj Member Posts: 3
    TY for the tip :) I have an appointment to have the radio switched out in two weeks but this will come in handy until then.
  • ltcallhomeltcallhome Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know how I can get a list of US dealers willing to sell new Camry's to a canadian?