Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Handling and Alignment

2»

Comments

• bedilbedil Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2003 CRV with 43,000 miles. I am currently on the 4th set of tires. Right after buying the car I noticed it was pulling to the right. I took it into the dealership twice asking about the alignment. They insisted that it was fine. I have my car maintained at the dealership. After a flat tire I took the car into a tire store to get repaired. I ended up having to purchase four tires. The technician showed me the way the tires were wearing and said they were not safe. To make a long story short I had my last alignment done where I purchased my tires. :confuse:
  • planeplane Member Posts: 6
    Yes, my issue was resolved. I took it to the dealership I bought it from (Corona Honda)and they test drove it, but "couldn't duplicate" what I was talking about. Long story short, they replaced my factory tires with Michelin tires that has less straight tread. The problem was the straight treads were tracking with the lines in the freeway concrete. Problem fixed !
  • hondabluehondablue Member Posts: 5
    You will find the tires that come with the CR-V (Bridgestone Dueler H/T, or Continentals) are horrible at best. I've experienced the same feeling and had the alignment checked numerous times. You will find the OEM tires will be about worn out when you reach 15,000 miles. Switch to Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza and the problem gas away. Handling is great, wet and dry traction great, QUIET ride. One caution, if you inflate the tires to the 30 pounds as recommended by Honda your gas mileage will drop like a stone. But inflating the tire pressure to 32 pounds solves that problem. I found that out after speaking to one of the engineers that designed the Alenza tire at Bridgestone. He was / is correct. Handling with this tire is almost sports car like.
  • peevdwithhondapeevdwithhonda Member Posts: 3
    I have the pull to the right (PTTR) problem with my 2005 CRV big time. The night we drove it off the lot I let go of the steering wheel and it veered three lanes over on the freeway (thank goodness it was very late and there was no one on the road). I took it back to the dealership the next day to have the alignment fixed. I then took it again 3 more times over the next 6 months. The car still pulls to the right very strongly. I just figured we bought a lemon and there is nothing that can be done.

We have 25000 miles on the car and the front tires are bald on the edges from the pulling. This morning while looking for the best tires to purchase for the CRV, I came across all these posts chronicling the pttr issue. I never knew a service bulletin had been put out about this exact problem. I looked online and found it (it was published a month after I had purchased my car, the dealership should have been aware of how to fix this problem).

I just called Honda about this issue and explained my situation. They said that since I was four months over the warranty period they would not fix the problem. They said I could take it to a dealership AND PAY to have them diagnose the problem. Then once the problem is diagnosed I have to submit a claim to Honda and then a case manager will decide whether to fix the vehicle or not. The rep made a point to stress at least 3 times during the call that there is a good possibility it will not be paid for. I pointed out that it would be cheaper for me to go to a non-Honda repair facility and just have it fixed, he agreed.

I explained that I was sold a defective vehicle and that it should be repaired regardless of the warranty, he did not seem to agree. I intend to consult a lawyer about this situation. The moral of my story is...make sure you take care of this issue within the warranty period!! This IS a known problem with the CRV and if the dealership is incompetent and unaware of the service bulletin print it out and take it in to them. It is a real shame, Honda is willing to soil its name for a meager repair. :mad:
  • teresimoteresimo Member Posts: 8
    What is the actual problem, can you let me know where to get it, because I called Honda.com and reported but noone told me anything.

Please & thank you

teresimo
  • teresimoteresimo Member Posts: 8
    Do you think I should print this and take it and show it to the dealer I bought mine from, mine's a 2008, I think it could possibly be the same problem. Can you find out for me it the 2008's had this same problem or who do I need to contact.

Thank you thank you thank you.

Teresimo
  • turbododgeturbododge Member Posts: 10
    One thing that folks might be interested in.

The owners manual for the 2009 CRV is now available online, and it shows an alignment spec change compared to the previous years of this generation.

Basically, they pretty much doubled the positive caster spec from about 1.5 degrees to about 3 degrees. Usually, higher caster means more directional stability, but higher steering effort. This may be what the TSB does, as relocating the upper mounts is how the normally set the algnment, but it doesn't say in the TSB what the alignment specs are.
  • turbododgeturbododge Member Posts: 10
    For those that experience the pulling to the right.

Do you notice a difference if you are:

Holding steady speed with the gas pedal

Coasting/slowing down in gear, but no gas

Accelerating

Coasting in neutral

How it behaves in these different cases would probably indicate what is not right, and perhaps how to fix it. Honda calls out for zero toe and zero camber, so you can get some very funny things happening if things are off a little, and power on/power off can put you back and forth through the zero point.
  • tkeenan003tkeenan003 Member Posts: 2
    This is a bitter sweet moment for me. On one hand I know I am not the only one with the problem, but most of us suffer from it. My 07' EX CR-V pulls to the right very hard. This happened while I had the stock Continental tires on. I thought it might be them so I purchased four Michelin CrossTerrain tires for $193 a piece. I then drove it straight to the dealer for the alignment. It still pulled to the right!! My wife took it back 2 weeks later to have it checked. They said it was in spec but that the tires were "too aggressive", "meant for a Ridgeline". This is BS because 1: I used to work in a tire shop and they are not an aggressive tire and 2: I called michelin and they said the tire was meant for a SUV/Crossover. I will continue to monitor this forum and see what happend. I also plan on calling Honda and will post any new information I find. Good luck to all of us in fixing this problem!
  • tkeenan003tkeenan003 Member Posts: 2
    Please call Honda Corporate and report this issue! The phone numbers and information are on Page 5.

We need to get this fixed!!
  • bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    My 08 does not pull anywhere, left or right, wheel vibration at highway speeds is minimal, the best I have had in a long time with the many cars I have owned.

At 10,000 mileage not to much to complain about. They manual seat adjustment does not hold, sinks to the bottom, just like my 2003 Accord. That's about it though.
  • shaky2shaky2 Member Posts: 3
    I have just purchased an EX-L and the second day I returned it to the dealer stating that there was a vibration when you were at highway speeds (100km/60 mph). Thought it must be the OEM Bridgestone H/T tires. The dealer didn't -- two weeks later after constant griting of teeth I took it in again - but this time with new Michelins X-Ice tires freshly mounted on new rims. Dealer says he still cannot feel anything and that it is just the way it rides. Has offered me to Road Force Balance my original tires. I gave up a 9 year old Accord with 200,000 Km on it - it had a substantially smoother ride as does my 2004 Acura EL.

I expected a bumpier ride but the vibration makes me want to park it for any long road trip.

Is it me?
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    What's the tire pressure?
  • shaky2shaky2 Member Posts: 3
    The dealer dropped the pressure in the original Bridgestone's from 32 to 30 psi - it had a minor impact if any - the new Michelins are 32 psi.
    Usually, the vehicles are shipped at higher tire pressure to prevent flat spotting, which will result in more jittery ride. Some dealers are better than others at actually preparing the cars they sell.

I would check if a drive shaft is bent, or a bearing is busted.
  • eno789eno789 Member Posts: 3
    The night I drove it off the dealer lot, I noticed this on freeway. Then I searched the forum, and found the 2005 service bulletin and FAQ.

Took the vehicle to the dealer and have the technician looked at it, local and freeway road test confirmed the problem. With freeway more obvious than local.

The technician did all they can (check tire inflation and balance), now we don't notice the problem when driving local, and the drift is not as severe on freeway.

But the problem still presents. What concerns me is that the technician says this happens quite often for CR-V. He road tested a brand new 09 CR-V, and it has the same problem. I hope Honda can do something about it, people pay good money on their CR-V, and the vehicle should not have big problem like this. If potential buyers know this problem beforehand, it definitely would affect the purchase decision.
  • dtstofdtstof Member Posts: 61
    I believe this is a coil spring issue. It seems like the spring doesn't sit correctly on the strut.
  • jeannie_hjeannie_h Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering buying a 2006 Honda CR-V with 48,940. When I test drove the car it pulled to the right. I thought it was something that was an easy fix, but when I Googled the problem it seems a lot of CR-V's pull to the right.

Anyone here have that issue?
    Thank you.
  • peco1peco1 Member Posts: 1
    Yes !!!! Honda has manufacture problems.
    I bouthg a CRV 2009 - O miles.
    2 week later the car started pulling to the rigth.
    We went to the dealer 4 times.
    They fix their computer - Nothing
    They make aligment - Nothing
    They changed tires - Nothing
    They test the air - Nothing
    They offered to tes a new crv and the same problem Happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Finally, after 6 hours of discution, they recognized the problem with CRV and we have to contact HONDA to solve the problem. The dealer can not do anything for us.
    We decide to put a sign in our car
    DO NOT BUY HONDA 2009 CRV
    (MANUF. PROBLEMS)
    OWNER OF THIS CAR.
    We hope it will help futures buyers.
    Sorry about my english. and thanks.
  • dtstofdtstof Member Posts: 61
    I thought that Honda had some similar problems with older models about pulling to one side. They found the springs were not seated properly on the struts.
  • sr146260211sr146260211 Member Posts: 55
    About ready to pull the trigger on a new 2010 but test drove a 09 model first. No pull to the right or left noticed. Test drove another a few days later just to make sure it had enough power for my needs and again this second CR-V 09 model did not pull or I would have noticed. Drove it only 9 miles or so and part of that was on the highway.

Have read a few Honda CR-V forums and this issue reported is not wide spread as the 2002 thru 2006 air compressor problems is. Me thinks its here and there on some of the vehicls....
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Member Posts: 146
    I test drove 4 different CR-V's before buying a new '09. 3 different model years and a wide range of miles on the clock. Never noticed any pull to the right.

Actually when cruising, I find it requires less steering input that our '08 Altima. The only time it veers right or left is due to the crown of the road.

I'm guessing it's an assembly problem, defective part or a combination of the two that causes this problem on a very small number of models.
  • deontae3deontae3 Member Posts: 3
    I had to go through the Better Business Bureau with the issue of the Honday CRV pulling to the right. I went through arbiration and I won my case. Honda had to pay me back for 8 car notes that I paid and they had to buy my car back. I went through hell with that issue. I now have a Mercedes GLK350!
  • otolaotola Member Posts: 8
    We are thinking about buying another CR-V - we have an old 2000 model and want something newer and more up to date.

My question is: How bad is the noise inside the cabin at highway speeds? As far as I am concerned this is a weak spot in my current CR-V; the cabin is just plain noisy when you get to highway speeds. How is the sound proofing in the newest generation?

Thx
    Newest 2010 has not been released yet and no data on noise. Give it a few more weeks and maybe some information will come out. Consumer Guide is set to test the 2010 soon.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2010-honda-cr-v.htm
  • otolaotola Member Posts: 8
    How was in it in the 209 model, which will probably be largely similar to the 2010 model?
    Difference from 09 and 10 model will be the HP but should ride about the same. My experience with both 09's was that the pick up was good but not great for highway on ramps and passing. For me this was expected. Turning, I have not heard any clunking noise as some have experienced in older models, and no pull what so ever when breaking.

Wheel noise was pronounced on rough roads but on smoother roads it was about as noticeable as my 2008 Accord. Passing other vehicls and flooring it did produce a harsher engine noise but this too is expected in a 4 cyl vehicle.

Ride was very much like a sedan unless you take corners to fast and must be careful.

Will take a longer test ride with the 2010 model when they arrive some time in mid to late October.
  • kvtkvt Member Posts: 1
    I checked the alignment specs between 2008, 2009, 2010 crv models. The caster angle was increased from 1.5 to 3.0 between 08 and 09 models and then it was reduced to 2.5 in 2010 model. My interpretation of last reduction is that Honda admitted issues with steering. This caster change should reduce the efforts needed to steer the vehicle and as a side effect it might make PTTR issue less noticeable because it would require less efforts for driver to keep steering wheel turned slightly left to compensate drift caused by road camber.
  • cinglemomcinglemom Member Posts: 49
    What was the problem? My steering wheel shakes if I brake at 60mph and go faster than 70mph. I'm going to take it to the dealers in the morning.
    What was the problem? My steering wheel shakes if I brake at 60mph and go faster than 70mph. I'm going to take it to the dealers in the morning.

Shaking while braking is most likely a warped rotor. Warpeed rotors are often caused by improper toqueing of the lug nuts. Rotor resurfacing may help temporarily, but evnetual rotor replacement is needed, and paying close attention to lug nuts torque and sequence of application.

Shaking at certain speeds is most likely caused by a lost balancing weight. Some times parking too close to curbs, or some car washes knock them loose. Wheel balancing is needed.

Good luck.
    I'm having the same issues with my 2008 CRV. I had my rotors, brakes and wheel alignment checked. They said everything is fine. I'm going to have to take it back to the dealer. It's frustrating that so many people have this issue and Honda does nothing to correct it.
    I'm having the same issues with my 2008 CRV. I had my rotors, brakes and wheel alignment checked. They said everything is fine. I'm going to have to take it back to the dealer. It's frustrating that so many people have this issue and Honda does nothing to correct it.

What's the tire pressure?
    Purchased a 2010 EX-L and have driven it only the past 6 days. Thus far, no issues to report regarding pulling to the left or right when braking either on city streets or highway speeds.

Road noise depends on the surface of the road itself. Some are smooth thus quit but some street surfaces are rough or course and the noise is more pronounced but tolerable.
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    I didn't buy a 2006 model because of the high noise level. The 2007 model is significantly improved (which I bought) and I've read that additional improvements have been made since then. Still, it's SUV with inherently noisier tires and a poor drag coefficient number.

Noise is pretty subjective. I find my CR-V acceptably quiet at freeway speeds on good quality roads. But it doesn't compare well to a mid-size passenger car if road quality is poor. Plus, it's short wheelbase can make for a choppy ride on some roads.

Still, short of buying a Lexus, some compromises are necessary.
    Since the CR-V is based on a Civic, the road noise should only be compared to a Civic sized vehicle.

A lot of the road noise is dependant on the tires, but also the noise insulation. To save weight, CR-V has next to none. There are enthusiasts who have installed Dynamat and sound proofed the vehicle.

Another option is to install a head unit radio from Honda Oddysey or Acura MDX, both of which have active noise cancelling technology. Think of noise cancelling headphones, but instead of wearing them on your head, the anti-noise is fed through the car speakers.

Many of the luxury makes do this to minimize weight, but maintain the quietness of the cabin.
  • melissa04melissa04 Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 Honda CRV has been doing the same thing since I bought it - they just keep telling me there's dirt on the rotors! Now it pulls slightly to the right when I'm driving. I figure they're wanting to wait until the warranty runs out and then tell me I have a major problem that's going to cost big bucks to fix! I'm taking it to a private person to check out to find out what's wrong with it and take it back to the dealer and tell them what needs to be fixed/replaced. I bought a 97 CRV and never had any problems with it - Oh, and they want to charge me $100 like every 10,000 miles because of the rear differential making noises - all they need to do is grease it - never had this problem with my 97 until it had over 100,000 miles on it! This one doesn't even have 30,000 on it yet!
    edited April 2010
    My 2008 Honda CRV has been doing the same thing since I bought it - they just keep telling me there's dirt on the rotors! Now it pulls slightly to the right when I'm driving. I figure they're wanting to wait until the warranty runs out and then tell me I have a major problem that's going to cost big bucks to fix! I'm taking it to a private person to check out to find out what's wrong with it and take it back to the dealer and tell them what needs to be fixed/replaced. I bought a 97 CRV and never had any problems with it - Oh, and they want to charge me $100 like every 10,000 miles because of the rear differential making noises - all they need to do is grease it - never had this problem with my 97 until it had over 100,000 miles on it! This one doesn't even have 30,000 on it yet!

1) If the problem was addressed during the warranty period and not fixed, it will be covered by the warranty when the vehicle is out of warranty. So, there is no reason for the dealer to wait for the warranty to expire. It is not like they do warranty repairs for free. They still get paid, by Honda corporate.

2) Rear differential in 2005 and newsr CR-V's is more sensitive and a lot quicker to engage than the original CR-V differential. Even that one required fluid replacements at 60,000 miles as per the OWNER's MANUAL, not 100,000 miles. The new one requires fluid replacement based on the maintenance minder system or every 30,000 miles.

If you don't perform maintenance as prescribed, don't be surprized if the vehicle does not last as long.

If you don't want to pay the dealer or anyone else for the maintenance, learn how to do it your self. It is 19th century technology, so anyone who can operate a 20th or 21st century technology, should have the physical and mental capacity to repair 19th century technology.
  • fightfairfightfair Member Posts: 2
    Please, please ,please, everyone who has had this type of problem file a complaint at this link. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ See this website and fill out a complaint. It is about time Honda stands behind there cars again. Tell everyone you know with this type of problem. Enough is enough. We don't need a class action. We need enough voices to force Honda to honor their word or suffer the same consequences as Toyota has. It will take all of us to get some action taken. This is not the first time Crv's have had different information in the owner's manual from what the service bulletin says. Look up valve issues and adjustment schedules. They have done this before and gotten away with it. Not this time.
  • jvlam623jvlam623 Member Posts: 2
    I have an '09 CR-V...it has been 13 months and I've had 6 alignments....my car still pulls to the right and this issue has never been resolved. I asked Honda to look at something else that could be affecting the pull..a bigger picture..but all they tell me is basically it is my fault, my driving and the crown of the road. Obviously there is a bigger issue than the alignment. I try to bring it to another shop for a second opinion, their conclusion was that there was a recall for the camber on CR-V's has anyone heard this?
    I have an '08 CRV and I have not had any recalls come in. It's easy to find out if a recall was done on your car. If you're being financed thru Honda you can go under the hondafinancialservices.com site and under "My vehicles you will see on the bottom right hand side a link for "RECALLS". If you are not financed thru Honda you can go to this site: http://www.hondaproblems.com/recalls/
  • deontae3deontae3 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2010
    I had the same issue when I had a 2008 Honda CRV. I ended up going through the Better Business Bureau and I went through a arbitration hearing. Honda had to buy my car back and pay me back all eight of the car notes that I had paid.
  • jvlam623jvlam623 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your advice. I did follow through with your advice..currently waiting to hear back from the BBB to find out what their decision is.
  • rnmerchantrnmerchant Member Posts: 2
    I recently had some major engine work on my 2003 CRV (75k km); replacement of timing chain. This means pulling the engine and etc.

Now, when driving up the freeway to ski, the vehicle has a bit of a 'shudder' at higher speeds (70 km/hr). This is with winter tires on rims that haven't been rebalanced since being installed.

Any comments as to cause? I can think of unbalanced tires or wheel alignment issues and the recent engine work is just coincidental but I saw a reference in another discussion to a problem with the engine mount causing 'shudder' problems... I don't notice anything at lower speeds.

Thanks for any thoughts.
  • dakota1988dakota1988 Member Posts: 1
    I took my Honda into the dealer for it's 5Kmile routine. When I got it back the steering was off. With the wheel centered it's pulls to the left and there's a lot more play in the steering. I took it back and they don't see it.

Any idea's on what I should check for ? I'm thinking something happened when they were changing oil up on the lift. I checked the steering fluid, not a problem.

It's under warrenty so I'm going to continue to go back.

Thanks for any help,

ED,
    Orlando Florida
This discussion has been closed.