Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Lexus LS 460/460L

Comments

• bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    whats a xzilon treatment, and whats the meaning of this, if some1 says his car is a lemon?and whats a lemon law. this place is very great to know new things and get experience abt cars. 1 of the best websites. i never knew that german cars has reliability problems first experience from this place
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    Thanks Len, and same to you. My '01 and '04 were both the metallic silver, with light gray interior. They couldn't find that same combo for me this year, instead they found one with the red (oops -- excuse me, Noble Spinel Mica) exterior, and cashmere interior. Sounds good, though I haven't seen it yet. It won't get here till a few days into next year. Makes it hard to get a good night's sleep in the meantime. . .
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    Len, I thoroughly enjoyed the Pats hard earned victory over the Giants tonight. I have been watching the post game show the past hour and a half on the NFL Network.

Even though I have never met you personally, I feel like you are a true friend. Your insight and knowledge about various cars has been invaluable to me over the past few years.

I wish you and everyone else here good health, happiness, and continued success in 2008.
  • jcdrewjcdrew Member Posts: 2
    anybody knows what is the par interest rate you get for a1 credit from lexus financial?
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Charlie,

The feeling is mutual. I used to go to Chicago about 25 times a year but now that I have my own business I'm almost always in NY. Chicago is one of my favorite cities. If I get out your way I'll post up on here. It would be great to meet you.

Len
    Len,

I actually live about 350 miles west of Chicago, but it would definitely be fantastic to meet. For the past week my wife and I have been in the Detroit area awaiting the birth of our first grandchild. Well, at about 6PM today we were blessed with a beautiful granddaughter. She weighed 7 pounds 4 ounces. Mother, father, child, and grandparents are doing great. Myself and our cat are driving (looking forward to the drive on the LS) back home (IA) this next Friday while my wife is staying an extra week to help out and then she will fly back home.

Man, do I love the new LS!

I
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Congrats on the granddaughter! What a wonderful way to start the new year! :D

And while I'm here, let wish a very Happy New Year to everyone!!
    Thank you Pat! Your well wishes are greatly appreciated.
    Charlie,

Big congrats on the birth of your granddaughter. My daughter - who is now 9.5 years old - was 7lbs. 2 oz so there's a weight coincidence to go along with the car and exterior color matches.

I forgot that you were in Iowa. I drove through Des Moines ages ago. Iowa with it's rolling hills is such a pretty state.

Patriots are an awesome team. But they will have their hands full with the Colts. Funny how the Colts may now be the team better suited for the snow and cold. To some extent these teams have swapped offensive strategies. But I think this is a Pat year with the Colt game being the tough one. I think they rout anyone else. Their offense may get a big weather break too as I'm hearing January may be downright warm east of the Rockies for much of the month.

Keep the good news coming and again all the best for a happy and healthy New Year.
    Congratulations to you and your family. An income tax deduction at just about the very last moment! Happy New Year.

Renny
    Thanks so much Len and renny! We are having such a wonderful Holiday Season. Not only are we are blessed with a beautiful, healthy granddaughter but my son and his wife also are here at my daughter's visiting from Seattle. We are truly one happy family. And renny, it does not hurt that the new parents will get a deduction for 2007 :) .

Len, I do agree that the Pats now with their incredible passing game would rather have good weather as opposed to past Patriot teams. January does indeed look to be considerably warmer than normal. We are having about 4-6 inches of snow here in the Detroit area tonight and it will also get very cold tomorrow through Wednesday. However, it will warm up like crazy starting later this week.

Happy New Year guys!
  • mitchellrowemitchellrowe Member Posts: 92
  • drivinfooldrivinfool Member Posts: 10
    Hi all, I just recently purchased a 2007 LS460; this is my third LS and this one by far is a true masterpiece! The body style on this one makes my old LS430 look like a box. However, I do think there is less room in the front seats in the 460 than in the 430's and before.

Now, to my question--has anyone else experienced dye ruboff from clothing on the leather seats? I have only had my car about a month and already the side of my seat where I slide into the car is turning blue (I wear jeans a lot of the time), as well as the bottom of the seat. I will certainly take this up with the service dept when I take it in for my first service, but thought I would ask here first. I NEVER had this problem with my previous two LS models and it is fast becoming an eyesore. These are not "new" jeans either, so it definitely has to be the way the leather is treated or not treated.

I live in the Central Florida area and bought my LS as a year end closeout and got the $8000 cash back; however had we known they would offer the SAME incentive on the 2008 models in their "December to remember" event, we would have waited. Won't make THAT mistake again!
    Kind of strange with the price of this car. seem to notice only luxury and expensive cars seem to have the minor trouble specially the newer models.

hope u find a solution.
    First of all, I want to tell everyone that I had the most enjoyable driving experience ever (been driving for "many moons") on our trip to the Detroit area and back. I just got back home over the weekend. The car is absolutely superb. I also got great gas mileage (26-27 mpg) considering it was driving in fairly cold weather and some cross wind or even head wind. Additionally, after a few tankfuls of premium gas, I decided to try 10% ethanol (89 octane). If anything, I thought the gas mileage was slightly better with ethanol. I did not notice any loss in power either. The other good thing is that in my state, ethanol is actually 10 cents cheaper than 87 octane and 25 cents cheaper than premium 91 octane gasoline.

I do have one question for you "experts" though. It concerns the quality of sound from the XM music channels (e.g. "the 60s", "the 70s", etc.). I don't think the sound is that good at all. The same songs coming from an FM station sound considerably better. Also, I downloaded a lot of songs from various CD's into the Hard Drive and they sound awesome. So, what gives with XM? Why isn't the sound quality a lot better than it is? BTW, the XM live traffic is very useful now that I know how it works.

Finally, my wife and I are proud grandparents (first one) of a beautiful little girl.
  • chanderchander Member Posts: 21
    Hi Lexus owners,

I am considering a new Lexus LS, but with wind noise etc,I am concerned, I am wondering if I should go for an 08 LS 460 or a slightly used 05 LS430. Any words of wisdom from your experience? Appreciate it. :)
    My words of wisdom are very simple: If you can afford it, definitely go for the 2008 LS 460 or better yet 460L. You will not regret it. There has been no wind noise issue that I am aware of with the later built LS460's . The 460 is a big upgrade to the 430 in my opinion. Everything about the 460 is better.
  • chanderchander Member Posts: 21
    Thanx, Given all the changes in the 460 ,and can afford it,-now a new dilemna- a choice I have between a 07 460L and a 08 460 SWB. Other than rear leg room are these 2 the same?
    There are a few other differences between the SWB and the LWB. The most notable difference is that the LWB has an available variable air suspension (I really like this). The LWB has the Nav system as standard. I think the overall ride quality is better with the LWB. There are probably a few other differences, but I would check this out closely on Lexus. com or ask your dealer.
    Also the LWB has available the Dynamic Cruise Control, which automatically maintains a proper following distance behind the car in front of you so that if he slows down your car also slows down, automatically, without you having to do anything. Later if he speeds up or gets out of the way, your car gradually resumes its set speed. It is a feature I have become so enamored with that I wouldn't buy a car without it. But of course if you have never had it you won't miss it.
    renny, the SWB also has the radar cruise control as an option and it comes together with the Pre Collision System. I totally agree with you, I would not buy a car without it now. I had this feature in my 2004 LS430 and I loved it. However, on the LS430, it was "laser cruise" instead of "radar cruise". Radar cruise is superior because it works in all kinds of weather. The laser cruise would not work in rain or snow. The radar cruise does. Like I stated above, virtually everything is better on the 460 when compared the 430.
    Well what do you now, Charlie, I bought an LWB under the mistaken impression that that's the only way to get the radar cruise control. Turns out you are right, I could have bought the SWB. In fact I really wanted the shorter car because of the tighter turn radius, a feature I have enjoyed very much on the LS430. In retrospect, though, I probably did the right thing anyway because the air suspension is also a great thing. I am sure it makes for a smoother ride.

Renny
    renny, I really think you did the right thing buying the LWB. The difference in the turning radius is very, very small between the SWB and the LWB. I don't notice much difference in the turning radius between the LS460L and my previous car, the LS430.
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    lj,
    I just referenced you briefly on the Luxury Lounge thread regarding your Infiniti purchase, and it got me thinking about you. So, I tracked you down, which wasn't hard... I hope you have a great 2008 with your family and business. I hope you are enjoying your cars, of course.

Also, I hope cyclone4 is enjoying that new LS460L, as well. I'm very glad that the two of you never went for the LS600hL. I was always convinced you both did the right thing, as you recall I expressed during that time of decision-making.

Anyway... hope you guys are doing well. Take care. Stop by sometime. :)

TagMan
    Tag,

Things are great right now. Closing out another acqusiition in 2 weeks and business is excellent - we certainly are not seeing any recession effects - at least not yet.

Absolutely love the LS460L. Infiniti G is everything I expectd and more and I've got 10 months to go on my GX. I just traded in my mother's 2001 Camry and got a lot more for it than I expected. I leased her a 2008 V6 Camry which she loves.

My car strategy is:

Exchange GX lease for LX570 lease at year end

Buy LS460L at lease end

Lease an SL at the time my LS460L lease ends.

Not sure about the Infniti as that is destined to be my sons car. I'll either buy it out or just retest that whole market with him at lease end.

Happy New Year and hope all is well with you
    Thank you for the kind words Tag. Yes, I think both Len and I did the right thing by going with the LS460L. I absolutely love it. If anything, it is better than I expected. Long trips on this car are very enjoyable. My wife and I recently drove above 600 miles to to the Detroit area and I did not get at all tired (I drove the entire distance). The trip back was by myself as my wife stayed behind for an extra week and then flew back home. Why Detroit you may ask? Our daughter and son-in-law live in a Detroit suburb and our daughter blessed us with our very first grandchild as she gave birth to a beautiful little girl on December 30.

I do look at the Luxury Lounge forum fairly frequently but for the most part I do not post there. I don't know much about various luxury cars you guys talk about. Maybe, I will surprise you one of these days. BTW, I always considered you the voice of reason over there. Some of those "characters" are something else. Thanks again for the good wishes and I wish you a wonderful 2008.
    LJ,
    The LS should keep you happy for a while. IIRC, the G was always going to be for your son... when will he get it? I recall you previously mentioning the LX as the anticipated GX replacement, but I have to admit, I'd have a hard time with that 12 mpg... it's not that I couldn't afford it, but it's bordering on guilt I suppose. So, the V6 Camry instead of the Hybrid? I guessing you thought about that and it must have made more sense to go with the V6.

Cars and me? Let's see... The Porsche Carrera S Cab is absolutely terrific, of course, but even with the jump seats, it's still essentially a 2-seater. I'll be adding a BMW 135i, which has received stellar reviews, to the mix. That will add room for the kids and give me a non-Porsche car to drive. I ordered it recently and it should be in within about two months. Still have the Jag Vanden Plas, and not one service issue to date... almost weird. I got rid of that freaky FJ Cruiser... couldn't stand it after a while, and purchased a GTI to hold me over until the BMW comes in. I've gotten attached to the GTI more than I thought I would... it delivers a lot of fun for the money. Acura MDX is still our SUV of choice. So, by this Spring, the garage will contain the Porsche 911, the BMW 135i, the Jag XJ Vanden Plas, and the Acura MDX... a decent blend.

Business is down in my industry and I expect it to get worse. I'll survive it, but I'm certainly not looking forward to this year if it gets slow. I hope things get better.

Sounds like your business is going great. I'm glad for you, of course.

Anyway, take care, Happy New year to you, too... and I'll stop by once in a while. :)

TagMan
    Gosh, I'm glad you know that you made the right choice with the LS460L, and that you aren't second-guessing yourself. Even better than you expected is a great testimony.

Feel free to post a shot at me in the Luxury Lounge once in a while... keep me on my toes. ;)

Hey, congratulations on your granddaughter. What a great Christmas blessing. You are so fortunate.

And, thanks for the compliment. I'll take it! LOL. :)

TagMan
    Tag,

I haven't read about the MPG on the LX but I'd expect it to be 16-18mpg. If it's 12mpg I'll pass on it. But if that 12mpg comes from C&D throw the report into the middle of the Pacific. Their data is about as accurate as a blind man in archery. Everything - and I mean everything they said about the LS in their review is dead wrong with the MPG and braking being as wrong as can be. I let my C&D sub end beacuse I'll never believe their reporting again.

Business - I'm in media information and information businesses are much more recession proof than most.

I went to the lux board and found your post. Thanks for the nice words. I don't have much desire to rejoin but I do miss our dialogs. Maybe I'll post there at some point but the supremacy knowledge assumed by some of the European car buyers that still resonates there remains a huge turnoff to me. Life's too short for that stuff and I'm long done with the German vs Japanese lux car battle. In a few years I intend to have both brands sitting in my garage anyway and I couldn't find a negative thing to say about the S-class if I tried in vain to find one.
    Well. you're going to find out soon enough, so I might as well be the bearer of bad news, because that horrible city rating of 12 mpg for the '08 LX570 is in fact the official EPA rating... and furthermore, the combined rating is ONLY 14!!! It's a hog, and there's no way around it. I am incredibly surprised, because the technoloy is there for Lexus to have done much better than that, IMO.

Regarding the other forum, I might suggest that you post selectively... when the discussion seems appropriate for you... just a thought.

TagMan
  • mcescher2mcescher2 Member Posts: 7
    I test drove a 2008 LS and experienced differential air pressure in my ears, as one experiences when SCUBA diving or when landing in an airplane, when the car went down hills. Is it possible that the doors seal so tightly that the air pressure in the cabin does not adjust to the outside air pressure?
  • markianmarkian Member Posts: 17
    I presently drive an Infiniti 2006 M45 sport. The car is amazing to drive, but every time I take it in for service, Infiniti has no parts in North America. In May 2007 I was out of a car for three weeks because the part was not in North America. In November 2007 my GPS system went out and it took 11 weeks for the parts to arrive. I was explained by the service manager that Infiniti carries more parts for there more common cars like the G35. The manger said they have very little parts for the M45, because they do not sale many of them. Infiniti in my opinion is a joke of a company. They make great cars but have no parts. I am interested in purchased the Ls460l with the touring package. I have to be cautious this time and wonder if Lexus maintains a proper inventory of parts. I would appreciate some comments on people's experience with parts avalability with the Lexus flagship. The dealer promised me that parts will be available within one day. I have heard from others that Infiniti is known for their lack of parts. But, I really hope this is not the case with Lexus.
    mc, if the car were that well sealed you would run out of oxygen after a long ride, especially with several passengers. Also, if the pressure doesn't adjust, how would that give you the feeling you describe?

Just my opinion; I would yield to wwest on this.

Renny
    First of all, I doubt that you will need significant repairs other than just routine maintenance every 5,000 miles. But to answer your question, I have not heard of any real delays in getting parts for repairs from Lexus.
    How do you like your new LS460L? I imagine it is now in your possession. I already have about 4,500 miles on mine (picked it up in mid December). I love it.
    "I love it."

Me too. I have to agree with everything you and ljflx and others have said about this car. It surpasses expectations, even with as high expectations as I had.

So far I have about 600 miles on it (no significant trips yet). The only thing I need to ask the service guy at my 1000 mile service is how do you turn the cool box in the rear seat on? Did you get the back seat upgrade with the cool box? I had that on my 2004 LS430, and as long as I had the climate control set for the back seat to have at least Low cooling, it would keep the cool box cold. The 460 doesn't seem to blow any kind of air into the cool box. In the current weather that hasn't bothered me, but when it gets warmer I'll want my Frappuccino to be cold, not luke warm.

Thanks for your encouragement.

Renny
    I think most of who buy lexus car don't get to go to the garage much. I have a question I have heard about the bad reputation about the s class and other mercedes troubles are there still problems in the current S class?

Those if you purchased the ls460 what were your options when choosing the ls460 I am sure reliability would be the priority and main concern
    Any of u ls460 owners ever driven a x5 any experience.

There will be a new 7 series within 8 months.
    I am very happy to hear that you enjoy your LS as much as I do.

No, I did not order the rear seat upgrade. I decided, as did ljflx, that I wanted the full size trunk of 18cf instead of the cool box. As it is, the rear seats are still very comfortable with the adjustable seat cushion and reclining back. My wife and I already took a long trip and the full size trunk was very useful.
    I just bought a 2008 LS 460 with regular (not air) suspension. It seems to register every small bump in the road. Is there any way of adjusting it to float more? Thanks for your responses.
    I don't think you can do anything about it. If you want variable air suspension, you need to go with the LS460L.
    Does anyone know how the air suspension option works? Does it allow for a "floatier" suspension than the normal one? All that Lexus says, as far as I can determine, is that it changes the level of the car. I am used to a 2003 Avalon which simply floats over nicks and cracks and holes in the road. Incidentally, this is a different problem from going over speed bumps (or speed humps as they are called here) which the shocks tolerate beautifully.
    If you turn the engine off while the driver's door is open, an alarm starts to ping and doesn't quit until you shut the door. So if you stop, put the shift lever into Park, open the door to talk to somebody, then turn the engine off it starts to ping forever. Does anybody have an idea why they might have designed it that way? What potential problem are they warning us about? How can turning the engine off while the door is open possibly be a problem? If you stop the engine first and then open the door, there is no pinging. But if you open the door first and then stop the engine, it goes berserk. Why?
  • theo529theo529 Member Posts: 2
    Posted this on both the BMW 535xi and Lexus LS 460 forums

Would like any advice in decision between buying a BMW 535xi which pros are 4 wheel drive, lower cost, better for Minnesota weather. Versus a Lexus LS 460 which is bigger, nicer interior, rear wheel drive, 99 on consumer reports, reliable, more room in the cabin.

Is the wind noise of the LS460 a big problem - did it get fixed with the 2008 double pain windows?

I know different driving experince - tough decision for me - Biggest concern on the BMW 535xi is realiability and interior comfort - any feedback on those points could sway me either way.

Any advice would be appreciated.
  • sidgriggssidgriggs Member Posts: 122
    I have owned both. Now that I am 65 yrs old, the LS460 is my driver. If I were under 50, single and looking--it would be a Black BMW.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Just drive them both and you will buy the LS. No comparison.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

This morning I went down to my garage and discovered that my LS 460L had all 4 windows rolled down, and the sunroof open about 2 inches. Last night I had left it fully closed, though not locked.

I remember reading something about this in one of these boards. Does anyone have an explanation/solution to this? It could be a real disappointment if it happened at night in a movie parking lot while it's snowing . . .
  • billsoterbillsoter Member Posts: 49
    You probably inadvertently pressed the unlock button on your remote. Holding this button down is designed to do just what happened. Check your user's manual.
    I have owned both. Now that I am 65 yrs old, the LS460 is my driver. If I were under 50, single and looking--it would be a Black BMW

I have really taken interest in what you said,

I am single, less than half the 50 age that you mentioned.

So, I think its not rite for me to like the big and expensive LS460,

I do like bmws, but trust the Japanese reliability better.

You have really inspired me for bmws.
  • james108james108 Member Posts: 34
    This is a good one. I just could not stop laughing after reading it :)
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    I have owned an ES 300, a RX 300, and two LX 470s and just purchased an LS a couple of days ago. I drove the LS 460 and really liked it. I also drove a cpo 2006 LS 430, liked it better and ended up buying it and saving some dough.

While the 460 was the most impressive car I have ever driven I opted for the 430 because it seemed a little smaller and had much better visibility all around.

I would imagine that most on this forum have also owned 430s and I would like your impressions of the differences between the 430 and the 460. I am a fairly slow adopter of new models and it is not unusual for me to take a couple of years to warm up to a new model. Old and stubborn I guess.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

This discussion has been closed.