Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord 2007

yuryyury Member Posts: 146
edited May 2014 in Honda
Hi, All

We looked at 07 Accord today (v6). It's all nice, bit i was confused by the shifter...i had D, D3, 2, 1 positions....
There's no D4? Whats't up with that? All automatics in all the cars i ahve seen give you the number of positions equal to the number of gears...or have paddles, or buttons of some kind?

On my 4sp auto I like downshifting one gear down on some ramps, helps with stability....

What's the explanation here? Of all gears I would think one before the last will be the most used for most situations...

Comments

• elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I don't know why they don't have 4th on the shifter, but if you push the accelerator down, it will downshift pretty easily. It doesn't take much gas pedal movement to get down to 4th, unless you're already going 90mph.
  • yuryyury Member Posts: 146
    on my commute I have a ramp from one highway from another below it. the ram is tricky, the turn tightens up unexpectedly....so when approaching i force it down to 3rd (i got a 4 speed malibu now)....if I don't force it i don't see a way how to keep it from upshifting on the ramp.
    Maybe you could try D3 in that instance, and it would work. What speed are we talking about here? I think I would try it, if the speed is not more than say 60-70mph.
    well the approach spee when i shift down is 55-60...the ramp cab be done at 55, but that's pushing it a tad.

i am just trying to undesrtand rationelle here....are they trying to say that because tha 4th and 5th are so close together downshofting to 4th simply would make any significant difference?

i drove an 07 Altima with CVT and 6 ratio paddle shift...i got the impression that gears are too close for manual control, you most likely woul have to tap down twice....but i might be wrong.
    are they trying to say that because tha 4th and 5th are so close together downshofting to 4th simply would make any significant difference?

That is probably the case, but I'm not positive. It doesn't seem like putting 4th gear on the shift position selector would be difficult. I would try downshifting to D3 at a lower speed first, to get a feel for it. I don't think 60mph would be too high a speed to do it. If it kicks down too hard, just don't do it again. ;)
    i dunno. did some calculations.....
    on a Pontiac Vibe 5 speed manual I used to go through that curve on 4th and it felt like the right gear. Keeping in mind the gear ratios and final drive i ended up with the ratio of 3.5066.

with the Accord the same calculation yielded 4.5186.

i also compared the jumps in ratio between 5th-4th on Vibe and D3 and D on Accord. the gap was 3.5 times wider on Accord...(duh, 2 gears vs one) ! Looks like it would rev up way too much.....unacceptable.

however i am having hard time believing that Accord, supposedly "the drivers car" did that to the driver. Sounds pretty bad. Some cars have a separate overdrive off button that makes up for the lost position on the shifter...and with D to D-1 being the most useful kick down it is actually easier to use than the shift lever and all sounds pretty logical.
    And here, on a decent car they go ahead an get rif of it? just doesn't make sense!

so i guess....unless someone finds the overdrive switch somewhere i will not be buying the Accord. Which is a bummer, cause i like it otherwise.
    The Accord has a larger engine than a Vibe, and the shift down to D3 would not be as dramatic as you think it would be. I would try it in my 03 Accord, but it's a V6, and would not be the same, I suppose. Heck, I'll try it anyway. ;)
    i am looking at V6 :) if i was looking at 4 i would just get a stick :)

btw here's the final ratio (gear ratio by the final drive ratio) comparision for V6 with auto and V6 in a 6 sp manual 07 coupe:

Auto:

1st gear 11.3408
    2nd gear 6.7336
    3rd gear 4.5186
    4th gear 3.2339
    5th gear 2.3036

6 speed:

1st 12.9297
    2nd 8.1921
    3rd 5.593
    4th 4.1125
    5th 3.2242
    6th 2.5333

so basically we end up a little lower than the 4th on the 6 sp.

on the vibe it would be equvalent to somewhere between 4th and 3rd a bit biased towards the 3rd.

however the VTEC engine is generally higer revving than a non-VTEC. Even the V6 has redline hugher than vibe's 4.

i still don't know, we're still missing a gear.
    what's the usage for D3 according the owvers manual?
    did more calculations....Accord V6 with auto at 3rd at 100 km/h (62 mph) sould rev at 3698.2 rpm.
    same for the Vibe: 3024 at 4th and 4458 at 3rd.

i hope i didn mess up the math.

so it's a bit high....however the car is heavier plus i don't know what's the difference in engine braking with this v6 and vibe's 4.

on 4th that we're missing here the V6 would rev at 2648. which may be on the lower side for this car.
    I went down the road a bit and tried it out in my car (03 V6 auto). At 60mph I downshifted to D3, the rpm jumped up to about 3700, but other than that it was nothing dramatic at all. If you weren't looking at the tach, you would not notice much difference. I didn't try it at 70mph, but I doubt that would be a big deal either. You will definitely have more acceleration power at that point, if that's what you're looking for. Hope this helps.
    thanks for doing that, man :)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I use D3 when going down a relatively large hill (about 1,200 feet, I think), where the speed limit is 40 MPH. Left in "D", the car will coast to 70 MPH VERY easily. I usually pull the lever to "D3" by about 50 MPH, and the RPMs, hold in the 3k range, preventing me from having to ride my brakes down the hill. Having a gear in between D and D3 wouldn't be very helpful, as they are quite close together ratio-wise.
    i just test drove it and i am beginning to see what you mean. it's really not that bad.
  • kw_dakw_da Member Posts: 76
    Hi,

Can't find any information on this. Is towing offically ok with Honda for their 2007 Accord? What are the limitations?

Thanks
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    1000 lbs per your manual. I tow a "little rig" bass boat. Entire package boat,trailer motor weighs 650 lbs. Done it w a 4 and a 6, No problem. Keep oil and coolant topped up. Check speed limits in your state for trailers. I drive 55-65 depending on traffic flow. Change auto trans fluid at 40k then every 30k use honda brand fluid. Change coolant at 40k then every 30k. Synthetic oil and filter every 5k. Hope this helps.
  • kw_dakw_da Member Posts: 76
    Thanks for the info - don't have a 2007 accord yet, was thinking about buying one, couldn't find any info on Honda's website about towing.

Is it much of a problem going up hills with the 4 cylinder & automatic.

David
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    You guys drove honda's its my 1st so will i be hooked rather will stay with honda or switch to toyota i have been with Ford & Gm's and i am sooooooooooo happy i am away so what do you all think?? thanks.
    There are many of us who have caught "Honda fever". Since none of us wants to be cured, and it is slightly contagious, it is spreading. Happy Hondaing :D
    My old 4 was a 5 speed it was acceptable but I prefer my 6 auto. Not a lot hills down here in Dallas. :)
  • surge2surge2 Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE AN 07 VP WITH 7K MI. ON 7 DIFFERENT OCCASIONS WHEN COMING TO A COMPLETE STOP THE ENGINE WOULD REV UP TO 5K .I PUT IT IN NEUTRAL AND TAP PEDAL TO BRING IT BACK DOWN. THE DEALER REPLACED THE THROTTLE BODY AND SERVO. BUT IT HAPPENED AGAIN. ANY THEORY ON THIS PROBLEM.
    That's what i am talking about. Would you say really honestly you Cannot go wrong with a honda or toyota or who gets the nod??
    I don't know if you were asking anyone specifically, but here's my take on it.

I love my Honda because it is relatively sporty as far as midsizers go. Others will love their Camry because it is smooth and quiet. They are nearly polar opposites as far as ride and handling go (Camry - Isolated and Serene, Accord - Sporty and Fun).

If you haven't yet, I'd drive them both. The viewpoints usually sound like this...

"The Accord is too loud and beats me to death..."

"The Camry is so boring and dull to drive..."

Both are extreme statements, but show the car's weaknesses.
  • f0rl0rnf0rl0rn Member Posts: 71
    For reasonably inexpensive with stellar reliability I will always recommend Honda/Toyota from my experiences.

If you have the money and are able to handle the maintenance costs I would also recommend some European makers.

I don't recommend Domestic except for a few high end cars, those are inherhenlty more expensive anyway and performance vs price is the weightiest factor in decision making.

I might say Chrysler some day since they are beginning to incorporate a lot more Mercedes parts and engineering.

But you can't go wrong with a HONDA. (Well I still don't think the Ridgeline qaulifies as a truck to me) Hopefully no Ridgline owners want to lynch me for that one.

It is a Honda just not a truck
    Would you say really honestly you Cannot go wrong with a honda or toyota or who gets the nod??

No car is a sure thing, but with a Honda I like the odds. I owned a Toyota truck for 6 years, and it didn't impress like my 2 Accords have. The Toyota was reliable, just not as solid.
    Agree that the Hondas seem better built. Every time I demo a Toyota, I buy a Honda.
    Hey Graduate well check it out i got a Accord just curious 07 by the way. I guess its a wrap good debate i guess they are cream of the crop from what i see its Honda hum ok thanks guys.
    not sure what the debate was about but i also recently got me a 07 SE V6 :)
    Hi All

I got me 07 SE V6 a couple of weeks ago and there's a couple of ... strange things I notice.

1. The V6 has 2 tailpipes. Upon closer examination that they are not quite in the same position relative to the cutouts in the bumper plastic. Asked a service guy about it, he said the exaust is fine, but have me no explanation as to why the pipes are placed differently.

2. I noticed that when the left (I think) back door is closed it's not quite level with the body. the door surface sticks out just a little relative to the body behind it. the difference is very small...1 mm maybe or even less.
    The right door is completely flush. Never seen this before.

3. The driver's seat developed a creak within a few days. Went to the dealer, they spend 5 minutes trying to lube it, said, nope, let's book an appt. Instead, I got me a can of WD40 and in 15 minutes got it fixed myself.

4. The centre concole storage door rattle. Didn't have a chance to talk to the dealer, instead used a few bits of felt pad as a temp. measure. I was rattling a little after that, bit now i can't hear it anymore.

Overall the car is great...but what's the deal with all the small things, after all it's a Honda, not a Chevrolet? Was it build on Monday or something?
  • bauer24bauer24 Member Posts: 21
    You are right. I've noticed on some SE's with the ivory (tan) interior seats the dashboard middle section where radio is, you can see what looks to be rectangular boxed lines in the leather or plastic (it feels like leather)and steering wheel column too. On one SE the airbag was bunchy looking, like a pillow squished too far short in a pillowcase. What is up with that? Also, driver right door on an LX i drove felt like it wasn't connected right. I am wondering if I should go Toyota or fly to Japan to get a car made more precisely with better quality control.
    i doubt that toyota will be better...worse probably. for starters you may have to have a number of tsbs applied just for the tranny to work ok. also when I was checking it out i noticed that the plastic panels on the dash are not as good a fit as on accords.
    Just talking about toyota and honda nothing serious just curious about the market. Seeing that alot of people are tired of american which i can understand why they are peace out.Did you do a buy or lease on your 07?? im in a lease until 2010 i think i might lease again i just do not like 5yr loans i guess honda might make me change my mind i don't know.
  • grampy1grampy1 Member Posts: 140
    2007, accord sedan,V-6. How does one who does their own oil changes, reset the oil change light?
    Thanks
    I'm really not trying to sound like a smart@$$, but your manual will answer all your questions like that. :)

I'd tell you, but I could be mistaken without going and looking my own manual myself. Look under the "Maintenance Minder" section or something similar.
  • grampy1grampy1 Member Posts: 140
    Thanks for the suggestion. the procedure was in the manual.
    I assumed it was some secret to be done only by the dealer. ;)
    Most people would be surprised what is included in the owner's manual. Minor maintenance, including oil change, coolant change, and spark plug replacement are in the manual. Read your owner's manuals people! You can learn a lot about how your car works. 380 pages of (mostly ;)) useful information.
    Its no problem! :)

Last time I told someone to check their manual they got offended, so I wanted to make sure you weren't!

Have a good one buddy...

Thegrad
  • jweston1jweston1 Member Posts: 15
    Hey,

I just got booted off one forum here maybe it will not happen here also. Anyways I have a question where can you get an owners manual at besides the dealer? I bought a used Accord and it did not come with one. Afraid the dealer will charge fifty bucs or so for it. With the comments here it would be useful to have.
    You can get an owner's manual from Helm. They are the company that prints them. They are about $30-35. Here's a link....link title
  • jweston1jweston1 Member Posts: 15
    Thank you.

2007 Accord 4-door Owner's Manual
    Price: $36.00 Out of Stock. Click here if you would like to be notified when this item becomes available.
    (English, Paper, 31SDA640)

Qty
    2007 Accord 4-door Quick Start Guide
    Price: $15.00 In Stock
    (English, Paper, 31SDAQ40)
    You could go to a dealership, but I'm sure the price would be a good bit higher. I thought Helm had manuals you could download. Maybe not. :confuse:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Honda Owner Link may be of some help. It's free as far as I can tell.
  • couturechiqcouturechiq Member Posts: 11
    Hi 2007 Accord Owners,

I have a 07 Accord coupe and it seems that I have to use a lot of force to close my trunk - I almost have to slam it down, or it won't close. If I use a smaller push, it just bounces back up, not closing. Is it supposed to be this way? Does anyone else have this problem?
    My 2006 was like this when brand new. It has gotten easier to latch over time (21 months and 24,000 miles).
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I don't remember having that problem.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    You wrote "I have a question where can you get an owners manual at besides the dealer? I bought a used Accord and it did not come with one." but you didn't mention the model year of your Accord.

If its more than a few years old, you might want to try eBay.
  • schweikbschweikb Member Posts: 111
    I am looking at 07 Accords for my only car and this would mean some snow driving in winter. I would normally consider a 4 cylinder better in the snow because the lower torque is less likely to spin the wheels. However, on the V6 Accord Traction control is std (not available on the 4 cyl). Anyone have views on whether the Accord 4 cylinder or the V6 is a better choice for snow driving? snow is probably only 15% of my driving. Thanks.
    If snow is only 15% of your driving, I wouldn't worry too much either way; but the V6 would be the safest option since it has the standard Stability Control (VSA).

If price isn't too much of an issue, and safety IS a major issue, go with the V6. An SE V6 Accord can be had for $20k or less these days. Check out the Accord prices-paid forum for more details.
  • starryknightstarryknight Member Posts: 31
    I just bought an 07 Accord SE I4 auto a few days ago and I'm getting some knee discomfort because the seat will only go so far back. I'm not a very tall person, about 5'7" - 5'8" but I like to really stretch out my legs so I almost have to try to reach the pedals. When I test drove the car, it didn't seem like it would be a problem but it now looks like it may be. Does anyone know if there is anything that can be done to extend the seat travel so I can get another 2-3 inches more leg room?
    Wow, I'm 6'4" and don't have a problem. Don't know how to fix your problem though!
  • starryknightstarryknight Member Posts: 31
    I have been driving a 2000 Taurus with 6 way power seats for the past 5-1/2 years. Plenty of room and no problem. I traded a 2000 Corolla for the Taurus because I felt cramped. If nothing can be done, I'll try to get used to it for the next few months. If it's still a problem, maybe I'll trade.
This discussion has been closed.