Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car Water Leaks

Comments

• 99towncarexec99towncarexec Member Posts: 160
    Yea,thanks.I have to do that but I always drive the car now that it's cold out.The VETTE stays inside!!Maybe I'll pull it out and let the Lincoln sit.I had a tech pour some water around the sunroof to check drainage and he said it was good.I talked to a windshield place and the guy didn't seem to think water could get in the back if it was the windshield where it was coming in from. I'm stumped!!Hopefully Ralka sees this and can chime in.
  • robkstonerobkstone Member Posts: 48
    If you drive the car with the rubber plugs out on both the front and rear and the carpets propped up with something to get airflow under them, they'll dry out much like if you had fans on them. I still would like to remove my seats and take the whole carpet up but I don't have the space or a heated garage to do it. If the leak is in the front the water does travel to the back because it's the lowest point especially if the drain plugs aren't out-the water has no where else to go and because of the rubberized backing, the water gets retained until you squeeze it by putting your feet on it- If you remove the front carpet there is an additional pad with backing that rests on the firewall where your feet would go-mine was also soaking wet. I also have a sunroof-where would the water be leaking to if the seal is bad on this? Also if you remove the plugs don't forget to put them back in or you'll get water from the road when it gets wet out. This is a real pain in the butt and I'd like to confront Ford with this problem -but who knows how much longer they'll be in business and they'll probably tell me it's an old car out of warranty, so it's my problem! :mad:
    The tech did this with the sunroof.He opened it and poured a glass of water in the track the sunroof rides on.He watched the water go into the drains on either side of the roof,according to him.B pillar is where the drains are,I think he said.My rug is wet in all the same places yours is.The water from the roof drains out in front of the back wheels or in back of the front wheels,I forget which he said!!lol.
    Ok, I'll have to try it if my fix doesn't work- but didn't you say after you sealed your fresh air vent you got water on the driver's side as well? I'm only getting water on the passenger side front & rear. If you eliminate the sunroof, the fresh air vent, the windshield, the only thing you have left is a bad body seam, I think? :confuse:
    I did seal the fresh air vent,correct.It's gotta be the windshield or the door seals.I bought door seals,haven't picked them up yet.I'll get the windshield done next week too.Where's the body seam?
    I think Ralka (where has he been these days?) said you have to remove the fender to get at the body seam
  • ralkaralka Member Posts: 72
    Hi guy's
    have been busy lately so i have not been on . just a quick thing, when i test for these problems i run water on the cars for a while to allow it to get to all areas.
    sometimes it takes a little time to see where it is comming from. windshields are possible as well as sunroof drains, but if you see water coming out the rockers when pouring it through the drain channels it is doubtful that that is your problem.
    Left side (drivers) can be a cowl seam under the fender( not fun) body shop will have to remove the fender to acsess the seams.
    Rob- I do repair water leaks for a living but i work for comercial accounts, i don't do private work mainly because i don't have time to. I will help you as i can though.
    where in philly are you located?

99towncarexec
    run water over the windshield and roof on the left side for a while with the carpet back and pillar trim off and watch the areas . with water leaks you have to be patient..

have a good thanksgiving
    Ralka:

I live near Villanova, PA 19010- I sealed the fresh air vent and I haven't tested it yet because I'm still waiting for my carpets to dry thoroughly. Once they dry out, I'll probably run the car through a car wash and see what happens since as you know it's gotten cold here and my outdoor hose has started to freeze up.. And yes, if that fresh air vent fix doesn't work, I would appreciate it if you could help me solve the problem, in person if necessary, if you had the time. Let's see what happens first.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    In your experience, what manufacturer or make and model would you avoid due to its propensity to allow water leaks?
    My carpets are about dry.Left the car in the sun the last couple of days.I'm going to cover the windshield w/a plastic tarp next time it rains to see if that keeps the water out.
    Hey fellas,I found something new today.I'm at work all day and I had time so I dropped the car off at our body shop and asked them to reseal the windshield. Well,they did a test first.Ran a hose on the roof running water down the driver side front..The DOOR PANELS loaded up with water!!!!!!!I unplugged them at the bottom and a ton of water came out.Front driver side and the back driver side door as well.Look at the very bottom of your door for 2 black plugs,one in the front of the front door,one in the back of the front door.Same for the back door.Might do the trick.I left the plugs out.It's going to rain again tomorrow so I'll see if this helps.Floor is still wet from the last time though!!
    most have their issues, What style are you looking for?
    sounds like progress! :)
    let me know how it goes. have a great thanksgiving
    It's raining out today,has been since last night after a little snow.I'll see how yesterday fix is holding up.I hope I can tel because the floor was still a little wet..
    Happy thanksgiving to you guys as well.
    Sedan 4 door. Lincoln or Jaguar. Thanks.
    On another note,can I put silicone or something around the floor plugs to keep any water from getting In from there,just in case???I think the door plugs I cleared the other day did the trick,but the rug was/is still wet in one area so I'm not sure...the back doesn't seem to be any wetter after the rains of yesterday.
    Hey guys: I'm back after a nice 300 mile round trip for Thanksgiving. The car performed flawlessly-It's a great car(99' Lincoln Town Car Signature Touring Edition) for long trips as it's quiet and gives a nice ride. When you get out after a long trip you're not too tired as you would be in the those small 4 cyl. foreign jobs.

The good news is that it's been raining hard here today and I'm happy to report that the repair to the fresh air vent seems to have worked since I haven't seen any leaks nor felt any more moisture on my carpets. A few things on the repair-it's important to secure the rubber gasket on the first piece you remove as well(this is the piece that rests on the windshield and is the first line of defense for allowing any water in. Mine was loose so I reattached it. I also made sure the two long black screws that hold it on are firmly connected and I even replaced the rectangular white plastic grommets which they press into on the body. So hopefully this will do it for awhile-by the way, after the carpets get wet, prepare yourself for a long time before they dry out if you don't get them up and dry them out with fans,etc. :)
    Good news!!I went on a long trip to Jersey myself all in one day which dried the carpets out.Now,it's beginning to snow and will rain later so lets see if my door plug clean out worked!Glad yours is fixed!
    hey man-all of that detective work really paid off and you didn't have to pay anyone either! :)
    Yea,I went out there and felt a wet rug up behind the brake pedal and in the middle-which is the usual spot.I'm wondering if it is the windshield leaking down or something.I'll see how soaked it is in the morning.
  • georgehughes35georgehughes35 Member Posts: 25
    I want to know what to look for when investigating used TC's. Specifically these water problems. I am definitely buying a 2003-2007 TC, signature LTD. Besides a clean carfax report and a smashing test drive what signs can I look for with respect to these water leaks (air filter, really?).

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Oh and any haters out there who want to recommend a Avalon or something save it. I have been test driving for quite sometime.
    Well George,feel the floors first off.lol.Look under the hood,passenger side bottom of the windshield.There's a black grate there.Make sure it's all free of leaves and stuff.Hard to see a leak that doesn't want to be seen!!Like in my 99.Also open all the doors.At the bottom of each door are black plugs-pull them out and see if any water drains.That's a biggy.There was a whole bunch inside my front door panel that came out when I pulled that door plug.I assume that the newer then 99 TC's have the same things in the door.
    According to Ralka, even newer TC's have the leaking problem, so be careful-look for signs of stains on the carpet, especially on the passenger side front & rear- Look under the car to see if the rubber drain plugs are intact and not off, like someone took them out so the carpets can dry. Look at the rails for the seats-do they have any surface rust like they've been exposed to moisture? That would be a tell tale sign that the car has been leaking for awhile. Does the car come with up to date service records? Carfax, definitely helpful but not all accidents are reported- look carefully for overspray, "fisheyes" in the paint, mismatched color, to indicate any bodywork. I also like the Designer series in the newer Town Cars. Nice interiors. Good luck- I think they're one of the best bargains out there if you buy them right. :)
    don't forget in this climate without removing the carpet or getting it up so you can dry it out with a fan, it's going to take a lot of time to dry. You sure it's not wet from before?
    don't forget in this climate without removing the carpet or getting it up so you can dry it out with a fan, it's going to take a lot of time to dry. You sure it's not wet from before?
    Well,it felt dry the other day after my 8 hour trip back and forth from Jersey.I'll see how it is this morning and report in.
    euphonium
    Lincolns are good just pay attention to tell tale signs of moisture mostly town cars.
    jags i don't deal much with as they usually resolve all issues internally at the dealership . if i were to look for a higher end car i would base it on more mechanical and performance reviews and comments. any car can leak and many do. but many don't. a lot of time the higher the price tag the harder to work on
    good luck
    Thank you for the opinion. Our '94 Town Car, 142,000, is still dry and has never been wet. It spent Thanksgiving weekend out in constant rain on Orcas Island & remained dry.

Should we replace it, I am drawn to the '05 Jaguar XJ8L because it doesn't look like all the other "tear drop" styles on the road and is still RWD.

Again, Thank You for your input. :)
    Your '94 will last you 442,000 if you take care of it!Jags are nice but expensive to fix.I have an 02 X TYPE,AWD.Can't even find remote start for it!True that not all Lincolns leak.The majority of mine didn't.
    Well fellas,I lifted the carpet in the 99.It is soaked under there!!I left it up a couple of days and I don't think it did anything.I put some sealer stuff around the plugs in the floor too.I guess I'm going to need to remove the rug and hang it somewhere for a week or so till dry.It's been raining here for a while.The floor doesn't feel any wetter then it was.I did cover the windshield last night with this plastic garbage bag type thing for that specific thing.
    sorry to hear about it-Well Ralka says if it isn't the fresh air vent, the sunroof, door seals, it could be a body seam. I think you need to be in the car while someone works the hose on certain areas of the car and hope you can see while your in it where it is coming in. I think you'll find it that way-are all the drain plugs plugged in?
    Yes,the plugs I pulled from the driver side front and back,and passenger side back are back in there.I did see the hose for the sunroof.It looked ok from what I could see.Where does it go under there??Did you ever go see RALKA??
    I never saw Ralka because apparently my fix to my fresh air vent worked and stopped the leak. My car hasn't leaked since I fixed it and I left it out in a bad rain the other day. My carpets are finally drying out completely and I put baking soda on them and have been vacuuming them with my wet/dry vac. Also I sprayed some Lysol on them. I also put some silicone on any exposed rubber that probably covers some seams. Do you see a chunk of foam in the corner under the hood on the passenger side. Take it out and inspect around there and look in the corner where water drips from the roof. If you supect anything leaking you might hit it with silicone. Ralka was saying that on certain cars he has seen that you need to remove the fender to get to the leak.Like I said, have somebody run the hose on it while your sitting in the car and try to see where the leak is coming in from.
    Yea,I took that foam stuff out a while ago.It was all dark and old looking.Should I put it back in there?Is that need in the corners under the hood?
    yeah, I would definitely put it back in but before you do, check the rubber caulking in that area and see if it looks good-for preventive measures, I put some silicone on a few existing rubber spots there. Also check the plastic piece that goes over the plastic housing for the fresh air vent-the one that rests on the windshield that's held down with the two long black plastic screws. there should be a foam gasket underneath- mine was loose so I reattached it-make sure that part is on there tight after you secure the foam.
    OK.The gasket under the black thing wasn't in good shape so I put some spare rubber stripping in there,like weatherstripping.The black screws are a little loose though,stripped or something.Those 2 foam things looked like old beehives which is why I took them out!I'll put them back in.
    those long black screws press in-they're held in with these white plastic rectangular pieces that press into the body under the entire plastic piece-you won't get them too tight but you can make sure the white plastic pieces they go into are there and are doing their job. I replaced one that was cracked- I got it at the dealer- if the whole thing is tight water would tend to go over it rather than under it and into the fresh air vent-at least this is my theory- when I removed mine the foam gasket was loose so I reattached it.
    That area seems good now.It's the rest of the car I'm looking to keep dry.Merry X-MAS!
    So I took the whole rug out to let it dry.The pad behind the brake/gas pedal is all wet too.I'm riding w/no rug right now.Seems to be coming from that front driver area somewhere.Any ideas???Back isn't wet,just driver side front floor gets a little water.
    did you have the windshield resealed? Hows the rubber weatherstripping around the windshield?
    what was it like to remove the entire carpet? what did you have to remove(seats, console) and did you need any special tools? How difficult was this?

thanks,

rk
    Hey Man: Congratulations! You should get a reward from Ford for sticking with it and not giving up on that car!!

Rob Stone
    Thanks man!If It wasn't found soon,I was getting to the trade it for a Caddy point!lol.It sure is weird driving around with no carpet in the car..Incidentally,the drain hose for the sunroof,if you have one,runs down the side by the hood release behind the trim.
    Well,it was in fact the hood release cable thing where the water was coming in.Car is back together,back in my possession and it's like driving a new car!! I have new inner door weather stripping stuff if anybody's looking!!lol.
    Congratulations! That's really the only way to dry out those carpets-by removing them- I still have a few damp spots and it's been weeks. One thing I can say is I've learned a lot about these cars in the few months I've owned mine- I would definitely buy another one- they're cheap enough now to buy another used one every few years-

Hey let me ask you another question- does your car make a sound every once in awhile for the air suspension? I understand it's normal but it's a little annoying.
    Yes,it does.I've had lots of Lincolns over the years and that noise was in all of them,this one included.It's normal.The air suspension is settling,raising or something.Merry Christmas man!!
    Yeah same to you- we've earned it!- Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and for my New Year's wish, I wish my Town Car never leaks again and that someday Ford will make a Town Car with independent rear suspension and use real wood in the interior, have wool carpets, wool headliner and a factory limo with a division window, and then I'll buy one ten years later for $4,000!
    hi
    Glad you found your leak now you don't have to ice skate in your car :)
    i've been busy with work , training a new dog for my daughter and looking for another jeep( since an 18 yr old kid slid across the road on snow and hit my wife's jeep) what fun . if i can be of any more help let me know
    merry x-mas all
    Ralka:

Good luck with the new car-sorry to hear about the accident- thanks for all your help and guidance with the Lincoln-you really helped me and 99towncarexec- Happy Holidays and New Year. If you're ever near the Villanova, PA area shoot me an e-mail-lunch is on me! :D
    Ralka,thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.Merry Christmas to you and yours,my man!