Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Window/Door/Hatch Problems

Comments

• niti8edniti8ed Member Posts: 1
    06 Odyssey EX-L. After installing a DIY remote starter kit for wifey's Christmas...remote starter works fine, but passenger and rear windows will not work. Driver window operates fine, but the other three only click. Tried uninstalling remote starter, no joy. Checked all fuses, power from drivers switch down to fuse/relay panel. Anyone have any ideas?
  • shekharshekhar Member Posts: 23
    Almost impossible to open. Sometimes I am able to open them from inside (but never from outside) with great effort. What could be the reason. I had the doors "fixed" during the recall (early 2000). This problem is new.
    Was I supposed to lubricate the rollers? With what and how frequently? How expensive the repairs could be? I will appreciate all the help/advice. Thank you.
  • cristian1cristian1 Member Posts: 10
    Don't worry, disconect the battery for about a cup of coffee and reconect the battery back you should be just fine!
    CRISTIAN FROM AZ
  • ilouieilouie Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same issue with a 2006. What causes the beep when everything seems to be fine?
  • tee18tee18 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Odyssey and the doors lock automatically/by themselves fairly routinely. I can't remember a particular incident when door(s) shut "on their own".... but I'm pretty paranoid about making sure that if I step out of that van, my keys are with me...so I wouldn't be surprised if the doors closed at least once by themselves. The alarm system also works differently than what the manual says.
  • fbc2009fbc2009 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2003 Odyssey with 78k miles on. It is a great van, no issue so far. A couple of month ago, the right sliding door starts making this squeky noise. I check and there is no sign of friction. I used some white lithium on the point of contact, but that didn't help at all. Door closes fine, but the noise is terrible. Maybe the cable needs some major lubrification? Any suggestion? Thank you
  • bdlzbdlz Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with mine. Turns out it was a plastic bearing on the center track hinge that broke, and the squeaking was the metal shaft rubbing against the track.

It happened on the other door now, and I'm trying to find out how to replace the center hinge.
  • fbc2009fbc2009 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks. What did you do for the first door? Did you fix it yourself or the dealer?
  • ecksteingecksteing Member Posts: 1
    Hi billbr66. We picked up or 2010 Odyssey EX-L a couple of weeks ago and my wife was complaining of a similar problem. when she returns to the car after having parked and locked it, all four windows are down about one inch. I tried holding the remote lock button down as you suggested, but that doesn't do anything. It's happened three or four times. Did you ever hear more about this from your dealer?
  • jwpfljwpfl Member Posts: 11
    Hi. The windows probably go down when she is unlocking the doors. The 1st press of the key fob will unlock the driver's door and if it is pressed a 2nd time all of the doors will unlock. If it is pressed for a little too long the 2nd time, all of the windows will start lowering. She probably doesn't notice that the windows have gone down when she enters the van but sees them when see returns to it. This has happened to me several times. :D
  • bradypupbradypup Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Touring model that when ever I use the power button to open or close it creaks either going up or down. The dealer says he's never heard of that problem and would have to remove the headliner to check it out. He also says thats expensive I've squirted WD 40 and also lithium grease nothing helps. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks in advance
  • sricansrican Member Posts: 12
    I have a brand new 2010 odyssey. Occasionally (i would say 1 or 2 out of 10 times), the sliding doors for the 2nd row does not open completely. It opens 70% of the way which means you cannot get into the 3rd row easily.

Anyone else encounter this problem before.

Thanks

SR.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Are the windows in the sliding door rolled down when this happens?

If so, it's a safety feature. If the window is rolled down the door will not fully open to guard against a child's head or arm getting caught if they were in the open window.
  • kjn3kjn3 Member Posts: 2
    If anyone touches my doors, they will stop midway. Is that the case that maybe a child touches it before you unlock it? Good luck. Kjn
  • swbnapervilleswbnaperville Member Posts: 1
    We went on a big trip last month and our 2010 honda odessey had intermittent problems with the door not opening all the way - it was very frustrating for those in the back seat. It happened on both sides of the van. I will try the windows thing - maybe our windows were partway down??
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Please report back with the outcome.
  • JasonWJasonW Member Posts: 8
    Hi. Over the past couple of years that I've had my '05 EX-L, my wife or myself have observed all the windows being down a couple of inches on occassion ...but only ever at public places (i.e. the dog park, a mall, the zoo, etc.).

We never hold the unlock button down very long, and upon testing this out, you really have to hold it down for quite a few seconds before the windows will start to roll down.

So I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this happening as a result of other Honda owners possibly unlocking their cars (or purposely rolling down their windows using the remote)? Maybe a similar or the same frequency causes this, which would be a serious security concern?

I've checked with a Honda dealership and they're not aware of any such security problems like I've described, but I'm curious to know if anyone else might be somewhat baffled by this too?

Thanks,

Jason
  • coolrunning326coolrunning326 Member Posts: 1
    :surprise: My new 2011 Odyssey really endangered our family. While driving home on the Interstate and changing lanes, the interior lights started going on and off at random. Not good because I lost my night vision. Indicator was right sliding door was open (it wasn't) Honda is going to replace a latch on Friday...this is our first Honda and hope its not indicative of things to come.
  • hondaody10hondaody10 Member Posts: 8
    I am also noticing this sqeaky noice on passenger sliding door for last couple of days on my 2010 odyssey. Everything looks good but kind of anoying.
  • nick06odynick06ody Member Posts: 2
    2006 Odyssey has gone through a slew of weird behavior, all kinds of noises, seen by a dealer who thought it was a problem with a little rubber bumper. It never got any better. Door ultimately became DEAD, no action at all. Couldn't open close manually or with power. Found a thread on another board advising fuse pull to reset some codes, and door became operational, but with repetitive loud clicking on trying to open it. With a little nudge of help, it opens. Same pounding/clicking when trying to close it. I have attached a youtube video to see if anyone finds this familiar. Any help appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDovspDoLAE
  • fmichaelfmichael Member Posts: 95
    edited January 2011
    Started in December of 2009...The passenger sliding door will either close, and then re-open, or it won't close at all.

No problems during the spring/summer/fall - only winter when the van gets damp/wet, and the outside temp drops to freezing levels...Service folks at the dealership last year said they think it was due to some ice/dirt, and they're once again saying the same thing this year - however this problem still exists.

Anyone else having these same issues?
  • vanitysmurfvanitysmurf Member Posts: 1
    Over the last couple of years, I have had the same window dropping experience after I have locked up the car and left it in a parking lot. I have tried to figure out if it is my remote or someone else opening their car. It mostly has happened at work, but last night it was in my driveway.

I have taken the car to the dealership to check the electrical system to the windows. No problem was found and they denied ever hearing of this problem.

We need to get as many people to post as we can about this issue so that Honda will have to do something to correct it. I, too, feel that it is a safety issue especially since you never know where or when it will happen.

Thanks, Beth
  • nick06odynick06ody Member Posts: 2
    Solved it. Attached video shows the fix. It was the "release actuator". There was a metal gear inside that broke. Very easy to fix. Much harder getting the plastic trim off the door to get to it than to actually fix it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxK8fQ1-wlQ
  • dannychindannychin Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2010 Odyssey. Was your problem resolved?
  • alex53245alex53245 Member Posts: 1
    I had a keyless remote put on my 1997 Honda Oddessy. Now the remote will not open the door. I can unlock it (sometimes) if I hit the lock button first, then the unlock. When sitting inside the car, the driver's door lock will not lock any of the doors but it will unlock all the doors when lifted up.

With the driver's door open you can't lock any of the doors with the button on the door unless you hold the inside door latch open...then the you can depress the door lock on the door.

This is a very frustrating situation. Dealer said it might take HOURS to troubleshoot. Does anyone have any ideas for narrowing the problem down as in...is it in the electrical system or in the door lock actuator or the remote units themselves or what? Seems like there is a problem with the locks since you can't depress the door lock unless you hold the door opener open???

Thank you.

KJ in Ohio
  • ufgatorsufgators Member Posts: 58
    2009 Honda Odyssey EXL having the same problem. About 2-3 minutes after leaving home, I hear this beep for about 20 seconds. All doors are shut and seat belts are on, no indicator light on the dash of any problems or open doors. Then it just stops and everything is fine. Have not contacted dealer yet, but anxious for a resolution!
  • ufgatorsufgators Member Posts: 58
    I tried to follow directions in manual to program door locks to open with car is turned off. It states to hold down master unlock button until it clicks (unlocks), and then continue holding until it clicks again (or multiple times, depending what you want the locks to do). When I do this, I only hear the initial unlock click, and no additional clicks even after 5 or 10 seconds, any solutions?
  • cvr109cvr109 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2011 odyssey ex-l w/nav just about 2 months ago and I am just starting to see this same problem ! I locked the car and walked into my house ,5 mins later I looked out the window (it was snowing very hard) and noticed that I could see my sons car seat. All the windows and the sunroof were completely open ! I live in ct. And its been snowing here on and off for the past couple of weeks so the last thing I would be doing is opening a window ! The strange part was that the car was off and locked with everything closed and then 5 mins later everything was open ! Honda has to address this issue. My wife and I use our honda to transport our severely handicapped son and if god forbid a door decided to open instead of the window or something else like that it could be very dangerous for him or one of our other three children ! My vehicle was purchased at Weymouth Honda in Mass. I hope this problem can be corrected quickly because this is our only car ! Thanks Chris,
  • alangpalangp Member Posts: 13
    I got the same problem with my eight-month old 2010 EX-L(Actually my wife did). It seems to happen once a month for the previous three months. My wife told me when it first happened around Thanksgiving and I told her to lock the windows so it would happen by accidentally hit the button by person other than the driver. Then she told me it happened again around Christmas.

Last Saturday, it did again right before my eyes after one hour stop outside the mall, one-inch gap for all the four windows. I was speechless.

I know it's hard to argue with dealer since I can not "Repeat" the situation before them. But I guess I just need their check report first, then write to honda directly to complain.

This is ridiculous, once Spring comes, any heavy thunderstorm will ruin the interior, let alone the security issue. How could honda have such a annoying and stupid flaw on their mini-van.

I had two honda cars at home.
  • ilikecars4ilikecars4 Member Posts: 6
    I have the same problem with my windows opening randomly on my 2010 Odyssey after my car is shut. First i thought it was just the key fob then i switched DID NOT Help. The windows would open after locking the Odyssey no matter which key fob I used or if I just shut and locked the car. I am very happy I found this forum as I agree the more people that talk about the windows opening Honda will see this annoying and dangerous problem is widespread and have to address it. There have been a few times where it actually rained inside the car as the windows opened by themselves.
  • kimberlyalsipkimberlyalsip Member Posts: 1
    I have a two week old 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L and have experienced this problem twice (window opening on its own overnight). I read everything about how holding down the key remote can roll all of the windows down. However, my problem on both occasions was one individual window rolled all the way down both times (once the passenger side and once the driver side). I know I didnt do it before I got out of the car accidentally as my window lock button is on at all times. This is extremely frustrating. I live in a townhome community and there are people out and about all of the time. This is a major security issue and possible damage issue. I am in Baltimore and the temperature went down to 9 degrees last night while my window was down! Something has to be done about this. Has anyone else had luck fixing the problem?
  • dmcg1dmcg1 Member Posts: 1
    Same deal with our 2010 Odyssey. Has happened to my wife on more than once. Happened to day. Parked the car (its winter so all the windows were up) and locked it with the remote. Came back an hour later and all four windows were open the came amount (a couple of inches). Anyone had a legitimate response from a dealer as to what is happening?
  • somedude1somedude1 Member Posts: 1
    For those who are having a problem of finding all their windows opened a bit I was having the same problem (well my wife was). It turns out there is a feature (at least on our 2011 EX-L Res) where if you hit the unlock button on the remote twice but keep the button pressed down the second time you press it the windowns will roll down. What was happening is my wife was unintentionally holding the unlock button down the second time (in order to unlock all the doors) just a fraction too long and it would roll the windows down just a tad. Repeat this a few times and before you know it the wondows are down about an inch leaving you wondering why they did that when you finally notice it. In fact I tested it and you dont have to hold the button down long for this feature to kick in. By the way it also opens the sunroof.

I know this may not be the problem everyone is experience especially if it is only one window that mysteriously opening but after us noticing the windows "rolling down by themselves by an ich a couple of times" this is what it turned out to be. Hope this can help explain what is happening for others out there.
  • teddydteddyd Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    I noticed that all my windows were down about 1 to 2 inches and rolled them up figuring it was some feature that I didn't know about. What I didn't realize is that the sun roof was also open (just noticed today after about 1.5" of rain here in New York - hope water didn't get near the DVD player). Checked out this forum and realized for my 2011 Odyssey that when you click the open door button twice and hold the second time down it rolls all the windows down. Maybe useful for a hot day but pretty annoying if you don't know about the feature. Would be cool if you could shut it off. Also experiencing the LOW BATTERY warning about 50% of the time. This looks like a true bug with the car. Kind of frustrating given the car was so expensive and is so new. Also had my wife's Uncle come by one morning and told us, "you know the sliding door is open on your van." Also kind of frustrating considering it was freezing cold out...
  • 4toscore4toscore Member Posts: 1
    To fix the "My door won't open" problem, I removed the weather stripping on both sides. It was replaced under a recall, but I had more problems after the replacement than before. It can be cleaned and reinstalled. I just left it off.
  • nellie7nellie7 Member Posts: 1
    My 2011 Odyssey has windows and sunroof that open without asking. Once in Seattle and once in Portland it rained all night into the car. Meanwhile the dealership is saying "What Problem" and are making superficial attempts at correction while at the same time denying that there is a problem. They ignore and do not recognize the entry's on GOOGLE that describe the frustrations of other Odyssey owners with the same issues. A car whose windows open at random is not saleable and is a safety problem because car entry is permitted when the oiwner is absent. I will be happy to talk to others who wish to pursue an equitable and lawful solution.
  • sickofhonda2sickofhonda2 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2010 honda odyssey EX and it is by far the worst 32k my hubby and i have ever spent. i am afraid to trade it cause i don't want us to lose our butts on it. And the fact its another credit check is not good either. here is my problem my windows rattle, pass and driver sliding doors do to. The drivers window creaks and tries to force itself higher up in the track when it is already fully up. I have a terrible spark knock or something going on in my engine. All i know is my van has less than 8k on it and it has a knock that makes me sick. My tranny fights to get into drive or park sometimes I have to fully depress the brake to the point where there is no further to push it in to get it to shift. I have trouble with it not wanting to start. It revs high when i first start it like 1000rpms or more in the morning. I've taken it to the dealer they wont fix it. They said they dont know whats wrong with it, they stated they took the doors apart and fixed the creaks, reprogrammed the window and lubed the doors, but none of this is seeming to help. Please i need some advice help me. I have kids and dont have the time to run back and forth to the dealer or worry if my car is gonna die on me what do you think i should do..
  • sickofhonda2sickofhonda2 Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2011
    ha it seems like i have all the problems of the past couple yrs all rolled into one car. my transmitter key wont work half the time i was about 10 feet away from my car and the remote wouldnt work. i just had it tested they said it was fine. i have a feeling the dealer is feeding me a line.. :lemon: law
  • 01intrigue01intrigue Member Posts: 92
    Can you get it to another dealer? Have you gone on a ride with the service rep at the dealer and pointed out the problems? if they acknowledge the symptoms but cannot fix them, threaten using the lemon law in your state to get a new one.
  • bswift201bswift201 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 odyssey EX-L. The sliding door on the drivers side won't unlock electrically or manually. This means i can't open the door. Can anybody help.

Thanks,
    Barry
  • energized1979energized1979 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Barry,

I've been trying to help my neighbors. They have a 2005 and lots of kids. They paid 1000 3 years ago to have both doors fixed. Last year the drivers side broke again...and now the passenger side too. They can't afford this type of nonsense. Did you have any luck figuring out what to do? Same problem, the sliding door locks go up and down, and the gas cap sensor seems to be working but you can't even open the damn doors manually from the inside or out. I can't believe how many people I'm reading about have this problem. This is a hard strike against Honda as far as I'm concerned. I don't care how good the name or engine is. It seems the going rate they charge is 400-500 per door to fix their own crappy design.

Thanks
    Luke
  • hornet4hornet4 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 09 OdysseyEX from Duval Honda, we have had issues with the drivers side passenger door from the begining. The door will stop half way through opening and close itself or the opposite when trying to close it. Every time I have taken it to the dealer, they have never been able to replicate the issue. On October 8, 2011 the door fell off while trying to close it in the rain. Duval Honda will not return my calls, I filed a report with corporate, and they have dismissed my case since my insurance company is covering the 2000 in repairs. I have also had issues with my drivers side automatic window not working right, but the dealership couldn't replicate that either. I'm now looking into the lemon law, and consulting an attorney, because this isn't right. Has anyone else had issues with the automatic doors?
  • fmichaelfmichael Member Posts: 95
    The passenger sliding door on our 09 EX continues to have issues during the winter months; the slightest bit of moisture won't allow the door to properly close...Filed a complaint with Honda Motor after numerous checks at the dealership...All that is done is a quick lube job along the door frame, and letting the van sit in a heated garage (which we don't have) for 30 min seems to do the trick...5 days later the issues return...We'll see what takes plce in a few months.
  • ncfishermanncfisherman Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar experience. After carefully thinking about what if anything i might have done, I discovered what I believe is an undocumented feature that actually comes in handy on hot summer days. If you hit the remate unlock button once, the car unlocks. If you then hit it a second time, the passenger doors unlock. So far, so good, but if you hold the unlocj button down on the second click, the windows all go down and the moonroof opens. Try it and let me know if this is just my 2011 Odyssey, or all 2011s or earlier.
  • jm055jm055 Member Posts: 1
    Our windows and sun roof open on their own and have caused us much concern. On Christmas morning we left our hotel room to find our car's windows and sunroof open a few inches. It had rained all night and the seats and door panels were soaked. This is not the first time we've found our windows open. The dealer say nothing can be done, but there has to be a way to turn off this stupid "feature". Any suggestions?
  • jnbloomjnbloom Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same experience. I don't remember hitting the unlock button after I locked the van. However, I found all the windows and sunroof open a few inches. I have 2011 LES model since July 2011, currently 4500miles. This strange thing happened 3 times so far, once in a rainy day. I will try the suggestion by ncfisherman.
  • creags1975creags1975 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same EXACT problem with my 2008 Odyssey. It is my driver's side sliding door. It is currently in the shop now and, again, they are stating that it hasn't happened so they can't diagnose it. This is the second time that I have brought it in and for some reason it won't do it while it is there???? It is so frustrating because it happens almost every time you try to open or shut the door. It has gotten worse with time. I wish someone had an answer to this problem!!!! Please let me know if anything comes of your complaint. If you forward me who I should speak with at Corporate, I would be happy to call and reference your issue.
  • fanofaccordfanofaccord Member Posts: 1
    Thank you so much!! I was freaked out today when I came outside my mom's house after staying over night to find all of my windows in my Accord Sedan down and my moon roof open. I thought someone had broken into my car though I found nothing stolen. My dad just passed away which is enough torture for anyone and now this...I was just fit to be tied. I started searching for answers right away and came across this forum.. I tested out your hypothesis with my remote and indeed everything opened up. I need to be at my mom's to take care of her rather than us both worrying about my stupid car!!! So you took quite a load off of what has been one of the worst weekends of my life!!! I can't thank you enough!!!!!
  • rangerricrangerric Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2012 Odyssey and have the same problem just as you describe it.
  • footballfan2footballfan2 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2005 EX-L also. Both the driver's side and passenger side sliding doors won't open, get stuck and/or make nasty noises and pop open. This happens when using the key, trying manually as well as using the internal open/close buttons. Every time I take it to the dealer they say they cannot replicate it and just put on some additional lubrication. Never helps. Two of my friends have '05's and have similar issues. Thinking Honda may need a class action suit filed to get their attention.

Anyone else have these same problems?

Thanks.