Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Transmission Questions

Comments

• londonbobbylondonbobby Member Posts: 5
    Hi, this is the first time doing this so if I have missed previous answers about this subject sorry. Just bought a used 2006 Honda Accord V-6, I find that the tranny takes time to shift into gear (from d to r) and when shifting into drive. When driving it shift hard at low acceleration and seem to hesitate when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Car has 24000 miles on it. It shifts well under hard acceleration. Has anyone come across this before, should it be something that I should be worried about
  • grampy1grampy1 Member Posts: 140
    My '07 with 5 k miles lags sometimes shifting from R to D,and vice-versa. I don't have the other issues.
  • banksaccordbanksaccord Member Posts: 11
    Hello everyone,

Just to let you all know who helped me. You were all right. I had to have new Brake Rotors. No transmission problems whatsoever. I again thank you all for the help. The manager at Meineke felt so stupid when i took my brother-in-law with me.

Ladies beware. Don't go to these types of place by yourself. Take some male person with you.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    If their first guess was a transmission instead of warped rotors from your description, I'd find a new shop. :sick:
  • londonbobbylondonbobby Member Posts: 5
    Thanks I changed oil and it seems to have help the problem.
  • usarmycwousarmycwo Member Posts: 3
    I've just skimmed all the posts here, and see that shifting problems are usually described as harsh.

My car does the opposite: from first to second gear, there's a definite absence of power transfer lasting almost a second.

The shift from 2nd to 3rd is better, but still perceptably sloppy. Higher gears are better, hard to tell when the shift takes place.

The Accord has only 4K miles on it. My 98 Camry with 165K miles shifts better.

I've noticed that the Accord shifts crisper if my foot is pushing hard on the accelerator. It's almost as if Honda expects the car to be driven aggressively, and designed the transmission for it.

But I don't want to jackrabbit away from stop lights. Never did, and don't want to start now.

If I take the car in to the dealer, I expect I'll be told "yeah, this is how they all drive." (I bought the car at the dealer with 3500 miles. It shifted like this from Day One. I thought I'd get used to it. Nope.)

Advice, please?

-- Steve
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    All I can tell you is that I have car practically identical to yours (06 4 cyl 5AT) and it's 1-2 shift is the worst of them all, but is typically worst when cold. The first shift of the day can be a doozie, but they smooth out as the car warms.

So, skip the dealer trip - "yeah, that's how they all drive." :)
  • usarmycwousarmycwo Member Posts: 3
    Graduate, thanks, and yes, now that you mention it, mine is the same, with the worst shifts when the car is cold. Believe I'll take your advice and learn to live with it.

In over 40 years of car buying, this is the first Honda I've ever had. Almost bought another Toyota, but was captured by the handling of the Accord. Still, it amazes me that my 10-year-old Camry (with 165K miles) shifts better than this new Accord.
    Hey, don't be so amazed. My grandparents have a 1997 Civic that shifts as smooth as my 2006 Accord, while my 1996 Accord feels like a kick in the pants in comparison to either. Who would've thought a Civic would shift better than an Accord of the same vintage? Haha

The good part is that the 4-cyl Honda transmissions are rock-solid.
  • maediebmaedieb Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing an accord wagon - my long sought after dream car. However, the current owner tells me that he had the drive axles replaced -- his mother didn't drive it much and didn't take care of it in the last few years of life. I am ordering an independent inspection but am wondering what this means. Why would drive axles fail at 70K? What other things should be checked on a car not driven much for several years? I know NOTHING about cars and need information translated into "wife-speak"!
    Thank you -- MaedieB
    Hello Everyone,
    I am back again asking for help. You all were so helpful with the brake problem I had maybe you can help me again.

I have a 1996 Honda Accord Anniversary Edition, for the last few weeks the SRS light would flicker on and off now it stays on continually. Does anybody know what I can do about this. Is it a serious problem?

I will wait for your responses.

Thanks again.
    Try the 1994-1997 Honda Accord maintenance and repair forum. This particular forum dedicated to transmissions, while the one I have linked you to is for all maintenance and repair questions for your particular vehicle.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Great suggestion and link (but don't forget to take off the post number which follows the last slash ;))!
    D'oh! Sorry about that, I did it in a rush!
  • dp76dp76 Member Posts: 1
    Greetings,

I have an 08 V6 which lags when shifted into drive but otherwise seems normal.
    I have seen this mentioned on other forums for Honda vehicles, so there must be
    many other Accords that exhibit this behavior. I would like to know how common
    this is and if it is any indication of tranny problems down the road. I searched through the Honda service bulletins and can't find any mention of this in them for any Honda vehicle. Does anyone have any detailed info on this problem?
    I have two Accords, a 1996 and a 2006, both 4-cyl, both automatic. Both have about a 1 second delay from the time they are put in gear to the time they actually go into it.

Neither has exhibited ANY transmission problems, and the '96 has 180,000 miles on it. The 2006 has 31,000. Both are daily drivers, and both see high-rpms from time-to-time; no problems.
  • robert103robert103 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I have a 2001 4 cyl Honda EX with 44K miles purchased used at 43K. Drove 1K miles and the transmission made some weird noises. So, I learned of the warranty extension on 1999-2001 Honda transmissions in this forum and had it replaced under the warranty. Apparently they updated the transmission because now it shifts very smoothly where the replaced trannie was very harsh when cold. I had an '89 SEI whose transmission went 307K miles without a peep. I'm expecting similar performance with the current transmission. I've had Honda cars since 1975 and can't imagine having any other brand.
    Hello anyone that can help. I need help installing a door handle for a 1996 Honda Accord Anniversary Ed. The handle part broke off but everything else is in place. If it is not hard to install, I will try to do it myself.
  • robert103robert103 Member Posts: 4
    I'm not surprised that you've not had any trannie problems. It was in the years 1999 through and including 2001 that Honda trannie problems surfaced. The reason given by a Honda dealer is that Honda farmed out the transmission manufacturing to a Japanese vendor during the years mentioned above. As a result of poor quality, Honda returned to in-house manufacturing. Hence the transmission recalls.
  • guntherhopsguntherhops Member Posts: 21
    I have 65,000 miles on my '05 V-6 Accord, no shifting problems. Did this year model have many issues?
    I can't decide whether to keep it for the long haul, but the prospect of a diesel Accord sometime in the next year or two is attractive. Any good info on this?
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I don't think it will be the Accord diesel. From what I've heard it's going to be the Acura TSX diesel (in the US).
  • baralesbarales Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1997 Accord with 2.2 vtec, auto, car starts out find, but as soon as it starts to warm it, transmission looses all gears. once you let the car sit for a while and "cool" off, transmission works again, til it warms up again, any ideas?
  • blazin01blazin01 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1990 honda accord 4 door lx.
    there is a green light next to the speedometer with the letter s in it.
    there is a button on my shifter that can turn this light on an off to make my transmission shift different.as of lately when I turn the car on the green light stays on for a minute, when i put the car in drive, it car will not move. when the light goes off. the car acts normal, i can drive it with no problem.

What is causing this problem ? and what can i do to solve it ?
    Could be your transmission computer, or just the switch. Read this link. Good luck
    http://techauto.awardspace.com/transmission.html
    If it is your computer, I suggest trying to find a used one, or repairing the old one. A new one would cost plenty.
  • xxyuxxyu Member Posts: 1
    Hi, everyone out there,

I need some help. My 2000 Honda Accord V6 will not switch, it's locked. I took it to shop, they said the electronic switch solenoid is bad and want to charge $270 to replace it. I then called the nearby Honda dealer, they said there were multiple switches in the transmission. They wanted to charge $99 just to find out the problem. Somebody here said here that there was a transmission recall for that year model. Can somebody help me to find out about the recall?

Thanks so much.
  • rogerb34rogerb34 Member Posts: 30
    The 2003 - 2006 Accord V6 transmission doesn't have a filter or a screen. Usual is a filter or a screen and in some cars, magnets.
    The same years, 4 cyl, have a diagnostic inline screen for tech trouble shooting purposes.
    Honda's recommended 120,000 mi or 6 years is a stretch given the cost of overhauling an auto 5 speed.
    I use a color test or 20k miles. The color test is a drop of A/T fluid from the tranny dipstick on a white paper towel compared to a drop of new Z1. Should be red in color and reasonably close to the Z1. If dark or black needs drain fill.
    Since no filter, no pan to drop. Honda has provided a common torx star drain plug in the aluminum pan. 3 qts Z1 and new crush washer. Done as needed at the annual oil change. I bought a case of 12 Z1 at a local auto parts store for $92.
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    If you look at exploded diagrams of both the 03-06 4 cyl and 6 cyl transmissions, you will find reference to oil filters for both cars.

Mrbill
    I just recently found out that my 03 V6 has a transmission filter. :surprise: I can't imagine why there is no mention of this filter in the owner's manual, or even the Honda service manual maintenance. :confuse: I guess it's supposed to last the life of the car. :confuse:
  • tcornelisontcornelison Member Posts: 1
    My son drives a 96 Accord 4 cyl w/ automatic transmission and 128,000 miles. The transmission has never shifted really smoothly but now when it goes to shift from 1st to 2nd and on up it fails to engage the next gear and the engine revs. You have to release the gas pedal to get it to engage. I have stopped him from driving it and plan to repair it.

Before taking it in for service I wanted to see if someone could give me an idea what is the most likely cause of this problem.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Try a simple drain and fill of the ATF using ONLY Honda brand transmission fluid.
    The 2003 - 2006 Accord V6 transmission has a strainer buried under the Valve Body. 16 steps to remove. Accord V6 ref page 14-236 Service Manual, V6 Supplement Accord. ATF Replacement 14-186: 3. Remove the drain plug (A), and drain the automatic transmission fluid (ATF) , 5. Refill transmission with the recommended fluid .... Always use Honda ATF-Z1... There isn't a servicible filter or screen. The diagram 14-47 is from the 4 cyl and NA V6. The diagram doesn't match procedures. The diagram shows the ATF Filter to be in the return line ATF Cooler (radiator) to the pan. Post if you have actually changed a filter or screen this transmission return line.
    I found out, much to my amazement, that the 7th gen V6 automatic transmission does have an ATF filter. Even more amazing is that there is no mention of the filter in the Helm service manual (V6 supplement). This link shows the filter, and where it is.
    link title
  • jenjen08jenjen08 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 95 Honda Accord LX. It has 159K miles and the timing belt was just replaced. I noticed after i had only had it about 3 days, that it is having trouble staying at just one speed. The D4 light is out and occassionally the D3 light goes out. I have read that this may be linked to my problem, but thats why I am here! It does shift a bit hard when I slow down then speed back up, but when i try to do a constant 40, for instance, it sounds like it cant just sit there. I hope this makes sense and any advice would help before I take it somewhere! Thanks :(
    Link to better pics:
    http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17904
    Three large pics. No's 2 and 3 are V6 with Honda filter.
    The filter is about 3.5 inches diameter and 1.5 inches deep.
    Found it on my 05 V6 inboard and below the airbox.
    Looks to be a PITA to service.
    Inexplicable why Honda doesn't specify a service interval.
    Called Honda dealer Parts. First said no filter then after checking filter special order cost about $16.
    I got the filter ($10.68) from Majestic, along with the o-ring and washers. It probably amounted to the same price after shipping. This is the link where I first found out about the V6 filter.
    http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13804
    Even the factory (Helm) Honda V6 supplement has no mention of the filter. It shows the part the filter sits in, but just calls it a fluid passage. Many Honda technicians don't even know about this filter. :confuse:
    I looked at the filter setup again. The paper filter is encased in a spin housing and that's why an O ring is required. Without seeing the filter, it is likely the filter used in earlier model Honda's. About 2 inches dia by 2 inches H. I read an Odyssey blog on replacement. Difficult and did not desire to repeat. Accord has better access that area but will be difficult. Given the steel debris created normal operation I can't imagine why Honda doesn't call for periodic servicing. It may be that the filter will hold all of the debris to normal wear out of the tranny. I'm skeptical in that the filter will fill to restrict flow and contaminated fluid will be bypassed. Have you done the replacement?
    I am planning to change the filter at 60k miles (less than 1000 to go). From the link I posted the filter is held in by a cover with three bolts. doesn't look hard to do, after the air box is removed. Tonyware (guy from the link) said at 100k miles his filter was rock solid from all the metal particles embedded in it. My filter should not be that contaminated, because I'm changing it at 60k miles, and I've been changing out 3 quarts of fluid every 15k miles. When I change it (probably in two or three weeks) I'll probably take pictures, and do a How to on it. Hope nothing goes wrong, :surprise: since there are no directions for this in the service manual. :(
    I'm glad I read about this, it reminded me I haven't had my transmission fluid changed (or brake fluid for that matter). My car is now exactly 3 years old, with 41,000 miles.

Thanks for the reminder!

:)

TheGraduate
    The brake and trans fluid sound like a good idea to me. The 4cyl. automatics have been pretty reliable though. Have your brake pads been checked recently (especially the rear)? I don't trust those little wear indicators. Pads don't wear evenly, and the inside pad is usually worn more than the outside pads.
    I look forward to the story and pics. As an initial cut, after removal of interference items, I would not remove the filter. Bolt to secure and unscrew the retainer cap to avoid removing hose clamps and hoses. Use paper towels to trap fluid surrounding area. I'm also interested in the amount of debris captured esp steel slivers. I estimate the hose size to be 1/2 inch. Is that correct?
    On brake fluid: My procedure is flush 5 years. I live in low humidity SCal. I plan on flush at independent Honda repair shop with Honda fluid. Honda fluid because that's what Honda specifies and ABS components are very expensive.
    No, haven't had them checked recently, but I'm pretty light on brakes I believe, especially that vehicle. My "in-town" car, the '96 Accord, has 54k on its current set of front pads (original rear shoes after 185k miles!), and it sees much more stop and go than my 2006 Accord, which goes on more highway trips (family 280 miles away gets a visit regularly).

Now that you mention it, I think I did have them checked at the 30k mile service (at 29k). I added that to the list of items that the maintenance minder called for. I can't remember what they told me they had left, but I know they didn't suggest replacement.
    91301RAY004 O Ring (Base of container to cannister)
    91302RAY003 Filter Gasket (Interior filter to cannister outlet)
    25450RAY003 ATF Element
    The element is 2 5/8 inches in diameter by 1 3/4 inches high with a pressure relief valve built in for bypass. Shot glass sized and designed to strain out visible debris.
    Order from Majestic on line best. Outrageous local dealer cost but this time only.
    I'll use Magnefine next time pending inspection and beyond warranty. It is larger, has built in magnets and costs less.
    Completed 11/23/08.
    As advertised nasty because of interference removal.
    Tips: Due to the spider web of bracket connected air and coolant lines air intake, remove intake from air filter/box end. There is enough clearance to wiggle the intake box out. Remove the battery hold down adjacent for box clearance.
    Caution the box has a wire standoff with bolt. Difficult to install and lost the bolt.
    The 6 o'clock filter body bolt has an interference line that can't be moved.
    Helped to have 1/4 inch driver with 10mm socket.
    The banjo bolt outlet from filter has washers both sides - take care not to drop the inner washer. I used a little blue RTV to tack. The outlet line is stiff and was difficult to start the bolt. Careful not to x thread.
    After test drive, I pulled the left side wheel to inspect (most of) the bottom of the filter and cleaned the half pint of dumped ATF from the frame.
    Filter was black at 27.8k miles. Normal. No steel or other debris and that's good.
    Next service 100k for filter with periodic drains to maintain ATF color.
    Has anyone seen the AT line out of the bottom of the radiator driver side? May be more accessible than buried in the engine compartment.
    What was Honda thinking??
    Best effort and available information from Honda Service Manual is that this transmission doesn't have an ATF cooling system in the radiator. No lines and no schematics and I can't find lines. Cooling is the aluminum tranny and pan. Not a problem for me.
    Filter was black at 27.8k miles. Normal. No steel or other debris and that's good.

Your filter was black at only 27.8k miles? I am very interested in the condition of my filter. I just hit 60k miles, and I will be changing the filter over the holidays. I change out three quarts of fluid every 15k miles, so the fluid looks pretty clean to me when I check it. The guy who changed his filter at 100k miles said his filter was solid as a rock. Don't know if he ever changed the fluid though.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Bummer!! I've got 93k on my 02 v6 and don't have the skill set to do the ATF filter change. Let us know how your filter looks,Elroy. 1st NASCAR race 2/7/09.
    I don't know about the filter on the 02 V6. If it's the same, or if it even has one. There seems to be very little information on these things. :confuse:

At least I have Steelers' football to tide me over till the racing starts. :D
    Rock Auto shows an inline A/T filter for the Gen 6 2002 Accord V6. Majestic doesn't show the same filter arrangement 2002 as it does for 2005 Gen 7. Majestic doesn't show any filter. Check with your Honda parts dealer and ask location. May be buried between subframe and transmission. Rock filter is $26.
  • tittyheadtittyhead Member Posts: 1
    99 honda 5-speed transmission
    need help on removal, have removed two top bolts to the left of starter, both cv axles five bolts on bottom, undone fork cable, linkage taken aloose, trans mount on top, motor mount in front bracket bolts on rear of trans. but it is still binding at the top and won't slide out. does anyone have pics or suggestion really need to put clutch in asap
  • andy110andy110 Member Posts: 1
    I have a year 2001 Honda Accord, currently having 89K miles on it. Lately, I started feeling the car was jerking when automatic gears were changing. On the inspection, it was found that transmission oil was leaking, and the Honda dealer came back with recommending to get the trasmission changed ($3.5K for parts and labor). I am debating what is the best option is

1) Should I get changed with new Honda parts at the dealer? or at AAMCO?
    2) Should I have it changed with new Honda parts, but at a local repairshop?
    3) Should I try to install a USED transmission part at a local repairshop?

#1 is probably most expensive and #3 is probably least. Some links on web suggested with #3 may result in repeated repairs, is that true?

Also any thoughts on value proposition of trading-in the car versus donating it?

Thanks,
    Andy