Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Transmission Problems

Comments

• cresiduecresidue Member Posts: 4
    Bought my Sonata new in 2001, has had a couple of no charge factory recalls. Here in Florida batteries only last about 12-24 months until I went with the Sears Diehard Gold. It's been a great car for 7+ years, but now it's starting to shift funny. We were in Orlando (from Tampa) and as we made a U-Turn and I stepped on the gas the car revved high then the transmission made a car jarring clang/bang and the car started to move again. The "Check Engine (CE)" light came on so we went back to our hotel. All other functions seemed normal, so I let it set overnight. The next day the car seemed to be fine still, and the "CE" light went out.
    Everything was fine on Saturday and Sunday until we left Universal to head back to Tampa, and the "CE" light came on again and the car seemed not to be shifting properly especially taking off from a stop & at highway speeds to top gear didn't seem to kick-in.
    I've done some research and I know the "Shift-Tronic" type transmission is supposed to self-adjust to the way the car is driven and I don't always drive it smoothly. I remember the dealer service dept. telling once when I had my car in for regular service, that they were having trouble updating the CPU software and I don't think they ever got it reinstalled correctly (of course they'll never admit it).
    I also put and OBD2 box on it myself at one point and the code came up as "unknown", I put the OBD2 box on my spouses Honda CR-V and it worked fine, so I'm fairly sure the OBD2 was ok.
    My local dealer service dept is a bunch of jerk weeds so I've been having my car serviced by a local service garage whom I trust, but I'm going to try the dealer today for this problem. So we'll see...
  • dlarindlarin Member Posts: 1
    Hi -

I have experenced the same problem, I to have a 2008 Sonata with 2858 miles and the dealer's service tech said he couldn't hear the noise. My question is do you still have that same noise or has it been resolved ?

Thanks
    Actually, it's not fixed. I spent $300 to replace the Input & Output Speed Sensors per the dealer service tech and their so-called diagnostics. My Sonata's engine was purring like a kitten when I took it in (it was only the transmission that was shifting funny), but since I picked it up the car has been running very poorly and the once quiet engine has been making a lot of noise and yesterday it started shift funny again. Clearly they didn't fix anything so I'm calling them again today and we'll see what kind of BS they'll feed me this time.
    As for your 2008 Sonata, lucky for you your's is under warranty. As stated previously, the Sonata is a well build car and I will definitely buy another one. However, the dealer service techs and their lack of repair skills is and always has been my problem. If I fixed computers the way they fix cars, I'd be swapping out parts all the time and nothing would really get fixed! If I were you I would search out another Hyundai dealer since your car is so new. Good luck.
    I have a 2001 Sonata with about 90K miles and the dealer service dept. just replaced the Input & Output Speed Sensors, which set me back ~$300. Since picking up my car the engine, which was purring like a kitten, has been running very rough and as of yesterday the tranny is back to shifting funny again. I'm calling the service dept. today so we'll see what happens. Needless to say, if your dealer wants to replace your speed sensors, GET A SECOND OPINION. I'm out $300 bucks already. Typical car dealer crap, keep swaping parts & maybe you'll trip over the actual problem!!
  • krishnakonlinekrishnakonline Member Posts: 8
    Recently bought a 2009 Sonata limited V6 with NAV, ......and now its 350 plus miles and since past 2 days... the engine cries(noisy) like anything....when I start the engine and till the time it reaches 0-35 mph(with jerks while it shifts the gears), it feels like I am driving a used car/truck. Real terrible...no pickup...even if its a V6.

One of the dealers said it needs 89 Ocatne gas....I should not put 87 Ocatne..where as per my user manual... 87 Octane gas is fine.

Where as the dealer from whom I bought the car asked me to get the car tomow. to their service center..... as they said they r going to fix it..if not then replace the car. Where as its not typically expected of a new car if it really passed Quality tests.....

Let me know if anyone had similar problem in the past......??
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    This is really getting boring krishna.
  • krishnakonlinekrishnakonline Member Posts: 8
    hey m6user my apologies....as I am new to the website/forum.
    Is there a fix to my Car problem...can u help.....??
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's continue this conversation here where you have gotten a reply: krishnakonline, "2009 Hyundai Sonata" #575, 28 Aug 2008 3:05 pm. It's from m6user. ;)
  • retsabretsab Member Posts: 10
    Took delivery on '09 GLS 4 cyl. on Aug 4th. with 215 miles on it, dealer obtained car from another dealer. Drove vehicle 50+ miles. Aug. 5th car would not shift out of park, dealership sent a loaner and took car. Returned in the afternoon "fixed", took wife for 5 mile ride. Morning of Aug .6th, same problem, I released the shifter and delivered car to dealership and obtained the second of 5 loaner vehicles. Car has been under going increasingly complex electrical repairs and I have not had the car since the 5th. The mechanics didn't believe me the first two days but on morning of Aug. 7th same problem for the mechanic. Electrical problems include replacing solenoid, a broken/severed bolt in the main fuse box causing intermittent grounding, and now waiting for main fuse box and wiring harness to be delivered and replaced (expected to be delivered by Aug. 30th.). Dealership and mechanics have told me over and over how sorry they are and have tried their best to solve the problems. We (service writer and I) did a history search and found that the original transferring dealership had performed electrical repairs prior to trading the vehicle. I have called Hyundai USA 3 times trying to get some help/resolution. Spoke to very nice young ladies who assured me that my case has been referred to the Regional office but after 12 days they have not contacted me. Sooo I have contacted the BBB, the NY State Attorney Gen. Office, and one of the Lemon Law Firms listed on the internet. I am currently not expecting to have a "repaired" car until Sep. 2nd at the earliest. After I receive the vehicle and work orders I will do some filing. Again the dealership has tried hard to help and provided me with a new 6 cyl. GLS, love the power. Hyundai USA and the lack of response/communication is the most frustrating aspect of an very frustrating experience with a new car with less than 300 miles on it. Notice that you can only contact Hyundai through snail mail and the filtering 800 number.
  • roaurboatroaurboat Member Posts: 3
    Here is an update on the transmission lugging problem in my new '08 4cyl Sonata with automatic transmission. From the time of purchase, transmission would lug (rumble and vibrate) due to shifting up too early at too low RPMs. This would occur at around 35-40 MPH after shifting into 4th gear.

The dealer said "this was normal on 4cyl models", so I complained to corporate Hyundai. They gave me a case number and said they were working on a "service bulletin fix" (this is manufacturer term for a problem that they acknowledge but is not serious enough for recall). They explained it was a problem in the software that controls auto transmission shifting. Two months ago the new software became available to dealerships and upon MY request(dealer never called me), I had the new software installed.

The problem was not fixed. Its hard to tell but I think there was slight improvement but definitely hasnt fixed it. I feel certain it is the auto trans.software because when I use the manual shifter feature, the lugging does not occur. It just needs to stay in 3rd gear longer before upshifting to 4th so the engine RPMs are high enough.

I guess I am going to have to start all over again with Hyundai but havent resumed to "fight" yet.
    Good luck, I wonder if they(HYUNDAI) just hope that people and their problems will just go away. I have all of my paperwork filled out but haven't yet sent it in to BBB & Att. Gen. This way they will have the final count of continuous days my car has been at the dealership.
  • dgs4dgs4 Member Posts: 66
    Damn that's terrible restab. So you said the car was driven 50 miles but came to you with 215 miles on it, meaning before it left the first dealership it had 165 miles. That seems like an awful lot for a new car. My 09 Sonata Limited V6 had four miles on the odometer when I drove it off the lot, which probably is a little on the low side actually. I was concerned with so few miles the car had not been properly PDI'd but the dealership assured me the tech takes the car on a two mile test drive with every new car. So far I haven't had a single issue with my car, so I'll assume he was telling the truth.

But anyway, what I'm concerned with is your car had so many miles on it, and the original dealership was performing electrical work before they shipped it to you. That just doesn't seem right. Why would you order a car from a dealership 50 miles away in the first place? The dealership you were at didn't have a single 09 four cylinder on their lot? That's hard to believe. I would be super pissed they delivered a new car with so many miles and one they knew was having electrical problems. I seriously hope you get to lemon law that car, because it sure sounds like a lemon. Good luck!
    The cars on the lot were all colors and interiors which I found to be not attractive. They also seemed to be the most basic GLS models or overly equipped 6cyl.. The sales manager told me he has to accept what Hyundai ships him. I wanted the Willow gray in the 4 cyl with the option 2. The sales manager told me this was the set up he could probably sell the most. Hyundai seems to be determined to limit interior color choices with exteriors. In reality, I wanted the Cocoa Metalic with a gray interior ( which I think is far superior to the yellowish color most Sonatas seem to have). As to obtaining a car from a different dealer, I suggested to the Sales Manager that from now on they do a background check on the vehicle they are obtaining. It must be me, but 3 of my last 4 vehicles were obtained from other dealers lots.
    Are you new to car buying? (not trying to insult you) Every single word out of a car dealer/salespersons mouth is a LIE. They can order whatever they want and it's usually the loaded cars, since they can make more money. If you cannot get what you want from one dealer call another one. This dealer is an incompetent idiot because they can search the entire country and locate a car just like you want from another dealer, he simply doesn't want to. In this economy, I would have told him to kiss off and walked right out the door.
    Go to Hyundai's website and build the car you want and then have the system search the U.S. for that car. Worst case is you have to wait 8-12 weeks for it to be manufactured.
    I can tell you this, you will NOT be happy with the 4cyl. it's doggie and the mileage isn't any better in real world driving. My 2001 V6 GLS still gets ~22 mpg city and ~34 mpg highway on cheap gas. You can't always believe the sticker mpg ratings.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    You know, of course, that accelerating a bit more aggressively would cause the transmission to stay in 3rd gear longer and as a result 4th gear would be engaged at a higher road speed/RPM. Off hand I would agree with the dealer that, given the fuel price situation and other economy concerns, the transmission is programmed to get into and stay in the highest gear (4th) as soon as possible for as long as possible. If you drive in a normal way or even try to "lightfoot" it more than normal the car will respond in the exact fashion you are complaining about. So, since I believe not only will you find all Hyundai's do this but most other manufacturers products as well it may be something you will either have to work around by driving a bit more aggressively or if you don't want to accelerate more briskly keep it in 3rd gear by using the Shiftronic feature until you reach a higher road speed (but this can also be accomplished by accelerating more briskly). This will reduce fuel economy so I guess you can't have it both ways. There is no "problem" with your transmission, the only problem is expecting the car to operate in too high a gear for the situation or low road speed. As an aside we own a 2006 Honda Civic with a 5 speed automatic transmission and to deliver the best fuel economy Honda has programmed this transmission to get into 5th gear ASAP (much like your Hyundai) and the result of that bit of programming is that the car downshifts at the mere sight of a rise in the road. Unless one is traveling at 65-70 mph the car downshifts on grade changes pretty readily....a problem? nope but it is an inconvenience.
    For the record, several changes (actually thousands of changes) have been made to the Sonata since 2001 not the least of which are completely new engines attached to new transmissions and new fuel economy ratings with a completely new car wrapped aroud them. These new for 2007-08 EPA ratings now give what I believe to be pretty accurate numbers. I also think you will find the newest variant of the 4 cylinder is pretty quick (at least 90% of mid size car buyers will be happy) and the mileage WILL be much better than the V-6. The V-6 is a rocket but there is (as always) a price for performance..harder maintainence accessability and poorer fuel economy the first two on the list.
  • roaurboatroaurboat Member Posts: 3
    Dear Targettuning,

I understand what you saying about the fuel mileage vs. staying in 3rd gear longer (my 08 only has four gears) and realizethe trade off. However, do you think that 18 miles / gallon in short trips/in town driving is good? I get over 30 on the hwy, which I am pleased with but was hoping for better fuel efficiencty around town, especially if I have to put up with the lugging.

Rob
    Refresh my memory as I forget if you have the 4 cylinder or the V-6 version. If you have the V-6 then, yes, I do think 18 mpg is good (at least not objectionable) for short trip/in town stop-go type driving. On the other hand it might be a bit low for the 4 cylinder but even then depending on the size of your town or city and how much more time you spend stopped than going this may be acceptable. For example I will refer back to our 2006 Civic EX sedan with 5 speed automatic...my wife drives this car for the most part and drives about 2 1/2 miles (if that) to work then putters around our largish town/smallish city accumulating maybe 15-20 miles per day and the last fill-up on Monday produced a little over 24 mpg. This is typical for this car in this driving scenario. Many would 'boo-hoo' such "low" fuel economy for a Honda (and a Civic yet) but I find it typically gets from about 21- 22 mpg in winter ( in Pa snow and cold) to about 25 max in summer using the A.C. This same car got 38+ mpg on our last road trip. I guess what I am trying to point out is that for a gas vehicle the absolute worst fuel economy is derived in the city...short trip...stop-go...gridlock type environment during which it frequently gets ZERO mpg. The only types of vehicles that shine in around town driving are 1. electric (of which there are few/none..yet) maybe diesel (of which there are few available), and for sure hybrids, especially the Toyota Prius/Toyota Camry hybrid.
  • ronylalaronylala Member Posts: 16
    please you all wrong about the Gears. Hyundai Sonata 2008 has 5 gears and not 4. only when you put it as stick shift you will see it as 4 but the automat has 5.
    i have the same problem and i am meeting the BBB with Hyundai on friday sep5 . i will update here.
  • crogers1crogers1 Member Posts: 4
    hello...I just found out my car is going to cost $900 to be fixed for what sounds like a common problem. The transmission slams into gear sporadically and drags after that. They say it is the output speed sensor. I'm finding the info on here very interesting and helpful. Can you let me know what you find out from the BBB and Hyundai on Friday ??? I would really appreciate it as the people at Hyundai were less than helpful. This car was serviced for this problem before and supposedly fixed. Thanks again
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    For 2008, in the U.S., the Sonata had four forward "gears" in the AT with the 2.4L engine, and five forward gears in the V6. For model year 2009, the Sonata 2.4L got a 5-speed automatic.
    sorry but you still wrong they just didn't update it on the system. you can check it yourself. put the gear on manuele and then when its get to 4 switch it to auto you will hear the gear switch. also the Thecnitian confirmed that issue. thats why the transmittion has problems in the car.
    i will. hope i wont need to go to next level and take a lawyer.
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    An upgrade to a 5 speed automatic transmission was touted as one of the improvements on the '09 I4 Sonatas. On the 5 speed Hyundai auto, you can select gears 1 thru 5 in the manual gate. If your transmission has 5 gears you'll be able to select (and read) the 5th gear if you're above about 40 mph. I'm guessing that you're mistaking the torque converter lock-up for an additional gear which you do not have.

Many, many Hyundai personnel don't know their products.
    The new, second-generation Theta II 2.4-liter DOHC inline four-cylinder engine delivers more horsepower and quicker acceleration. Fuel economy numbers are 22 mpg city/32 mpg highway with the standard five-speed manual transmission or the newly available five-speed automatic transmission with SHIFTRONIC(R).

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2008/02/06/076911.html
    i guess if you will look up the internet you will see i am right.

just be sure i am not buying anything without looking on the inside.
    you can call the menufactor and they will tell you. they changed it from 2007 i think or 2008. the menufactor did not update it in the book. you can ask at the shop and they will tell you. i do not know why they did not update that issue but i am telling you that we checked that matter a few times already.
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    I can't wait to hear your explanation as to why the gear indicator only goes to 4 and not 5 when using the manumatic feature as it does in ALL of the (other) recent 5 speed automatic Hyundais.
    Then Hyundai has foistered one of the biggest cover-ups in automotive history, that is, they put 5-speed automatic transmissions on their Sonata I4s sold in the U.S. for 1-2 years but told the world that it was only a 4-speed automatic. Also, they put these 5-speed automatics only on SOME 2007-2008 Sonatas. I've driven maybe a half dozen of these cars and they all had 4-speed automatics.

I can post a few dozen links to Web pages that state clearly that the 2006-2008 Sonata I4s sold in the U.S. have 4-speed automatics. Can you post some proof of your claim that 2007-2008 Sonata I4s had 5-speed automatics? If not, can we move on?
  • earbuckleearbuckle Member Posts: 16
    The automatic in the online factory shop manual (www.hmaservice.com) listed for the 2008 Sonata I-4 2.4L is the F4A42, with specs that state it is a FOUR SPEED automatic. IF there had been a 5-speed auto in any of those 2008 cars, it would be referenced in the shop manual. Any Hyundai mechanic who says there were 5-speed auto transmissions in the 2008 4-cylinder cars is, quite simply, wrong and uninformed. I'd not let that mechanic near my car.
  • newowner10newowner10 Member Posts: 227
    Why is it not under warranty?
  • crogers1crogers1 Member Posts: 4
    It's a 2002 with 54,000. The warranty is up. I just got the car back and it cost $255 to have the job done. Quite a difference from the $900 I was quoted !!!
    o.k. let me explain to you..

when you driving the car and the Gear switch the speed automatcliy the rpm going down.

try to drive manualy till you will get to the 4 speed. then switch it to auto keep driving and you will see that the RPM is going down and change to 5th speed auto.

now that i have the problem with the transmission no one from the menufactor denid that on my car there is 5th gear. also the master tech confirmed that.

if you what is RPM you will see i am right.
    It was already mentioned that what you are feeling is the torque converter going into lockup mode, which can feel a lot like a gear change and results in the RPMs going down.

Here is an article that describes the operation of the lockup torque converter, in general. Note this particular phrase:

If you have a tachometer you will see the RPM's drop a few hundred when it engages.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Torque-Converter-Lockup&id=113485

Hope this helps.
  • earbuckleearbuckle Member Posts: 16
    backy has already explained what you are seeing. Unless you have an '09, you do not have a 5 speed automatic on a 4 cylinder Sonata. No amount of "observations" or lack of technician feedback will convince me that you do. Crawl under the car and read the model plate on the transmission itself. If it is something other than what I referenced in my previous post, let me know.
    Dear Backy,

This is Funny, i think Hyundai should pay you for the public relation that you are doing for them...or they already paying you?

if it was not a problem no one was keeping my car at the shop for so long and trying to fix it.(ohhh and not only my car, i know more then 2) if it was not a problem the tech would not have on the website answers how to fix it (by installing the program).

dont you think at the first time that i went to the Shop they needed to say "what you are feeling is the torque converter going into lockup mode" and send me home?
    Did it occur to you that a transmission can have a problem that is fixed by installing a program, without the transmission being a type that is not available on your car? :surprise:

For example, here's a TSB for the 2008 Sonata's automatic transmission that requires an ECM/TCM update, i.e. reprogramming:

http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/recalltsb.do?step=tsb&year=2008&make=Hyundai&- - model=Sonata&style=GLS+4dr+Sedan+(2.4L+4cyl+5M)#2

Perhaps you could ask the dealer if this TSB applies to your Sonata. Notice I found the info on a web site--maybe like the service tech did!

What I think is funny is that you continue to hold onto this ridiculous story about your car having a 5-speed automatic in it when no 2008 Sonata 4-cylinder sold in the U.S. came so equipped.
    and do you think i went to the dealer without doing resarch first? i already printed its old info.

and you didnt told me if you tried what i suggest you with the manual and the auto..switch and try.
    No, I haven't tried that. It's not like I can go run out to a dealer (an impossibility on a Sunday, where I live anyway) and demand to drive a 2008 Sonata I4 automatic--and one with a 5-speed of course. But I do know I've wasted far too much time on this, and you. One thing I will do, though, since I am taking my Hyundai in for an oil change tomorrow, is ask the service manager whether there is such a thing as a 2006-2008 Sonata I4 with a 5-speed automatic. I am hoping he won't laugh his head off.

Good luck with your one-of-a-kind 2008 Sonata I4 with the 5-speed automatic. Maybe you should try selling it on eBay--there might be a demand for a rare car like that. Some people will collect just about anything.
  • moocow1moocow1 Member Posts: 230
    Please get a clue. Everyone except you knows that there's only 4 speed I4's in the 2008 Sonata. And I certainly don't speak as any type of Hyundai rep. It's insulting that you question people who are far more knowledge than you'll ever be.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    if we just move on now. Not all posts require answers. ;)
    Update: I asked the service manager at my local Hyundai dealer today whether he had heard of a 2008 Sonata I4 with a 5-speed automatic. He said he'd never heard of that, before the 2009 MY.
  • bigredtxbigredtx Member Posts: 14
    i have a 2009 hyundai sonata and 900 miles on it. the car jerks into gear. very unpleasant. the tech says it needs to get used to my driving and should straighten out. has anyone else had this problem? this doesnt seem right to me that a vehicle needs to "learn" your driving habits before it shifts correctly
    That is exactly how modern automatics work--they "learn" the driver's habits over a period of time. Isn't technology wonderful?

But it should start smoothing out pretty soon.
    Welcome to the club...Hyundai Sonata are sucks. now all the "experts" will tell you that's O.k.
  • newowner10newowner10 Member Posts: 227
    I do not buy it. There maybe some learning from the engine/transmission combination but it should not cause drivability issues. Let say you only drive in the city for 10,000 miles the car learns you driving style. Now you head-out to the open road would you then expect the car to not know how to go 60 miles per hour and run poorly?. I think not. My Sonata with 1000 miles has always shifted fine so it must be a quick study I guess.
  • moocow1moocow1 Member Posts: 230
    I get very little jerking at all now and it's only been about 3000 miles for me. I'd just drive it for another few tanks and see if it gets better.
  • bigredtxbigredtx Member Posts: 14
    thanks i didnt buy it either. i wondered what if the vehicle had multiple drivers? who would be the one to teach it how to shift? anyway its not much better at this point. the weird thing is for about 2 days it acted normal then the next day back to jerking. as soon as all this hurricane mess is over i will be taking it right back in till something is done about it.
  • white2434white2434 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2004 Hyundai Sonata with 18,000 miles on it. 5 speed manual. Started having problems with the gears "sticking" - I couldn't get it into the lower gears and sometimes can't get it out of gear at all. I've brought it back to the dealer 3 times. First they replaced the Master Cylinder, then they thought maybe it just needed "bleeding", then now they've just replaced the Slave Cylinder. It seems to mostly happen when the car is first started for the day. Especially now having problems with the cold morning. It was completely locked in first gear. I had to just pull up further in driveway. Let it idle, then I was finally able to pull it out of first into neutral. Then let it idle again, until I was able to finally get it into reverse. After struggling with the first shifting of the day, it usually has no more problems. Does anyone have any suggestions before I go back to the dealer for the 4th time? Thanks very much.