Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Infiniti G35

Comments

• alang4alang4 Member Posts: 40
    Drive the G35 and there won't even be a doubt in your mind. From your signature, it looks like you might be in New Hampshire? If so, definitely get the G35x with the AWD.
  • svachhersvachher Member Posts: 6
    It's alright. Nothing to worry about. However, mine was manufactured in Feb 2008 and I bought it in March 2008. These details are coming directly off my car sticker inside the driver door which tells you when the car was manufactured.

I was the first and the last to get my hands on my 2008 sedan. I bought it the very same day it arrived at the dealership all wrapped up in plastic. I purchased it with 8.3 miles. It was only tested by the manufacturers and dealer.
  • ewl88ewl88 Member Posts: 76
    I am replacing my 2006 M35X in August whenthe lease is up. I am 99% certain I will get a G35X. (Faster, slightly better fuel economy, sportier than the M; And the 2008 M is virtually same as my 2006 M) Thinking about the G35X with premium, nav, + wood trim. Is the sports package or the wheel package worthwhile? Does it add any significant improvement or actually detract from the car? I don't really care about the Tech package. I have the active cruise control on the M and I rarely use it. Thanks.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    I believe the SP gets you the sport seats which, IMO, are worth it as well as the paddle shifters for the A/T.

Regards,
    OW
  • loudog2loudog2 Member Posts: 83
    Wait til the 2009 sedan comes out. It will be the G37 w/7 speed trans. If you don't want the G37 sedan. Then, the left over G35's, will probally be almost given away.

As for the sport package. The sport seats are a little snug on some people's thighs. Make sure you test drive both. I settle for the tire/wheel package. The seats dug into my legs. The is a mod to fix it, for around $500. The only thing I was upset about was the sport front bumper and side sills. I think those give the car a good look. If your thinking about getting high end rims yourself. Don't get the tire/wheel package.
  • esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    My 2001 Ford Crown Vic Sport had the feature that if you put on the wipers during the day the headlights would come on automatically after about 30 seconds.
    But I like this G35 so much more I can manually turn on the lights when it rains. That is also the law here in NJ.
  • blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    I took delivery recently(Friday) of new g35...and I noticed after I got it home there was a (what I thought anyways) was a smudge on the glove box door. Being made of soft rubber, I was only thinking that an appropriate rubber cleaner/protectorant would get it off. I put off this minor chore until yesterday...only to find the smudge is really some sort of blemish that wont go away. Its not a huge deal, but being brand new, Im little more sensitive to these things.

Q- would the dealer just replace the rubber around the glove box door if it came to that?
  • esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    Especially when our cars are new they cover everything bumper to bumper.
  • drwilscdrwilsc Member Posts: 140
    Earlier today, I was sitting at a red light in my 08 G35X, you know, one of those where there are two lanes and one lane ends about 500 feet past the light. A guy in a late previous generation (probably 2002 or 2003) Acura TL Type S pulls up. The light turns, and his front tires light up. The G AWD confidently took off, without a peep, and proceeded to smoke its challenger by at least 2-3 car lengths by the time the lanes came together. He didn't look very happy back there. This car rocks!
  • sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    Well if he thought he would win this one he is nuts. This is like me in my 08 G35X trying to smoke an 335i. I am wise enough not to even try.
  • drwilscdrwilsc Member Posts: 140
    Agreed. I suspect he just thinks his car is fast and doesn't have performance figures for various cars memorized the way you and I do. In this case, I basically knew he was going down before the race even started.

I might actually go ahead and race the Bimmer just to see how close I would be, what 0-60 in 5.0 vs 5.5 looks like. Sure it's funner to win, but it was also interesting just to see the race with the TL-S.

I wouldn't feel bad losing to the 335i, I looked at it but went with the G because it was substantially cheaper.
    If you follow my posts, I have always maintained the 335i is overpriced. I like getting a fully loaded car, the 335i is around 50k fully loaded. The only reason for this is BMW does not have the same economies of scale as its Japanes competitors, add the strength of the Euro and you get the steep price people are willing to pay for the 335i. I for one am not giving anyone any extra money for their cost ineffectiveness.

I do agree with you, getting smoked by someone who paid more for his car is a non event for me as well. What I like about the G is it dusts everything thats cheaper and some more expensive cars, A4 V6, C350, A6s, E350s, 528i, the list is endless.

Enjoy your G, just drive with the VDC off ;)
    I had that Acura TL Type S before my current M35x. It is quite a bit slower than a G35 and lacks the low end torque that Infiniti V6 has. By the time that TL engine really ready to go, you're already at 60 mph. On the other hand that generation TL has lots of room almost as much as a M35 and fuel economy was better than anything Infiniti has. Torque steer was bad on that TL edition and handling was not impressive. And the TL's low profile tires developed bubbles every time I hit a bad pothole. Had to replace 3 tires that way.
    I looked at everything in the price range up to 60K and wasn't particularly impressed by anything. I'm going to with g35x in the next 2 months when my M35x lease is up. Save some cash, get some extra speed, and a few mpg more than my M35X. I agree the bmw 335 is overpriced; same with their 5 series and the 5 series is less attractive than the 3 series. And some features aren't available on the BMW period. The rearview monitor on the Infiniti spoils you.
    The wood package can be installed by the dealer. I just got my G35x today- slate blue, wheat interior, wood package with prem and nav. The car had a aluminum interior but they swapped wood out from another car so I could get this one. Probably only larger dealers do this. Ray Catena in Edison NJ also has a customized wood package which is super glossy and has lots of extra panels. Too much glossy wood in my opinion ($999) but looks like Lexus stuff (deliberate). Anyway, wood package seems like it can be done. Maybe the dealer can order the parts for you?
  • racerx11racerx11 Member Posts: 1
    I just wanted to say hi. I just purchased an 05 G35x with a premium package. I went from a 1996 honda accord to this. I would say that would be a good upgrade.
    Dan
  • luckylockyluckylocky Member Posts: 3
    Has anybody tried to drive the G35x with the VDC turned off? Does it improve the handling or decrease it?
  • eric106eric106 Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone know when they are going to redue the exterior of the G35. New body
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    ...may be in 2011 or 2012, the latest.
  • rsaulrsaul Member Posts: 28
    I have a 2008 G35xS with 4,500 miles that I bought back in January (yes, I know I haven't been driving near enough to have only 4,500 miles in 9 months). Over the past month, I've been experiencing a buzzing noise seemingly coming from the cover over the instrument cluster. The buzz occurs at just about every RPM and all road surfaces and if you tap the top of the dash/instrument cluster, you can hear it as well. I thought it could perhaps be something to do with the clear plastic cover over the gauges that may be a bit loose, or it could be something more sinister inside the dash. Has anyone else had any buzzing/rattle issues and have the dealers been easy to deal with or has anyone attempted to repair this themselves? I had a 2004 Acura TL, so I get really scared when I start to hear buzzes/rattles as myTL was plagued with them. Thanks.
  • radioman18radioman18 Member Posts: 10
    Somewhere on this board there's a thread relating to dashboard rattles, and I posted something myself shortly after I bought my 2008 G35x back in April. The rattle -- more of a vibration -- comes and goes, mostly behind the glove compartment. During the first few thousand miles it was almost constant; now, I'm either used to it or it is mostly gone. My dealer has received several complaints about this but says he's never been able to locate the cause.
    No buzz with my 2008 G35x. Has been relatively quiet other than the infiniti engine noise.
  • laura26laura26 Member Posts: 6
    Hi ... I purchased a 2008 G35xS in June, and within a week of the purchase it had a constant vibration that seemed to be coming from the instrument cluster. I could push down on the top and it would stop. The dealer fixed the problem for no charge ... by removing the steering wheel/cluster, tightening the screws that secure it, and adding some silicone to buffer any friction that causes noise. Now I'm driving a very quiet car.
  • joec022joec022 Member Posts: 9
    I also have a G35xS and have noises coming from the dash to include the buzz that you speak of. At the bottom of the clear instrument cover, there is another piece of plastic between the cover and the steering wheel. This is where the buzzing is coming from in my car. If you push on this piece slightly it makes the noise. It is currently at the dealer being repaired as I write this, not sure how they will fix but I will keep you posted.
  • paulo6paulo6 Member Posts: 94
    I just got a G35xS...how many miles do you two have on the car when the noise started?
    Thanks for the posts. I just made an appointment to have the buzzing looked at...hopefully they can replicate the buzz at the dealer and take care of the noise. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    I have 8,000 miles now but they started around 5,500 - 6,000 miles.
    Dealer had the car for all day yesterday and was luckily able to fix the "buzz." They told me they removed the guage cluster, tightened a few bolts, and installed felt-tape to reduce/remove any vibration. Whatever they did, the car is more quiet than the day I bought it. Also, the dealer was kind enough to waive the $8 they were going to charge me for the felt-tape.

Have 5,000 miles now and will finally be making my first long trip outside of the metro area, I'll report back on the MPG (I've been getting 19.5-20 consistently to-and-from work 30 miles round trip).
    Glad to hear you got the problem taken care of and the dealer treated you well.
    I'm getting 19-20 mpg for my local travel (15 mile round trip) daily. I did hit 23 mpg on a interstate trip. I have 2200 miles right now.
    I have an 08 G35X, found that when driving with the VDC on and you floor it and the road is uneven the car will stall. It used to irritate me. Now, I always switch the the VDC off when I drive alone. No problems whatsoever with driving with the VDC off, the car does what you want it to do.
  • ucjjgucjjg Member Posts: 28
    Can anyone confirm whether or not the 2008 g35x (sport / premium) is equipped with an iPod interface?

Thanks in advance for your time.
    I believe any premium package has ipod interface. Straight from Infiniti site: I bolded the Ipod package. FYI, it works very well. I can't see how the interface could be improved.

Premium Package

- Power sliding tinted glass moonroof with one-touch open/close, tilt feature and sliding sunshade
    - Infiniti Studio on Wheels™ by Bose® premium audio system with 24-bit Burr-Brown DAC, single-feed 6-disc CD autochanger with MP3 playback capability, Radio Data System (RDS), and ten speakers, including 3-way component front door speakers with 10-inch subwoofers and a parcel shelf-mounted subwoofer
    - Infiniti Interface System for iPod®
    - Driver’s Audio Stage
    - Heated front seats (standard on G35x AWD)
    - 2-way power driver’s seat lumbar support
    - Memory system for driver’s seat, steering wheel and outside mirrors
    - Driver's seat, steering wheel and outside mirror position synchronization
    - One-touch auto-up/down rear windows with safety auto-reverse feature
    - Power tilt and telescoping steering column synchronizes gauge cluster with column for improved vision
    - Automatic anti-glare rearview mirror with HomeLink® Universal Transceiver and compass(compass not included when combined with Navigation Package)
    - Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone System
    - Heated outside mirrors (standard on G35x AWD)
    Well, thought the buzz was gone (always seems to be fixed when you leave the dealer), but came back about 5 minutes into my trip! Frustrating.

Made the trip over three days, 620 miles total. Mostly interstate and two-lane roads. Spent approximately 10hrs in the car, Avg. MPH was 62.5 and Avg MPG was 23.5. MPGs probably could have been a bit better, but I tended to goose it when passing on the two lanes.
    Same here. It's back with the dealer today. Since the car is under warranty I'm going to keep making them try unless they tell me they've tried everything. Unfortunately, there are too many plastic parts that touch/rub against each other in these cars. My dealer gives us G35 loaners and they all make a lot of noise, a lot more than mine. I'm surprised that more people don't notice or if they're like my wife, they write it off as "car noise" or play their music really loud.
  • paulo6paulo6 Member Posts: 94
    I have it on my G35xS...it works fine, but to answer your question it can be significantly improved by finding a faster way to scroll through the songs. With over 1000 songs on my IPOD, I cannot think of a fast way to go to a song that starts with a M for example when you have to start off with the letter A...that can take a while...very frustratiing. U could search by artist, but still the same applies
  • jbadamsjbadams Member Posts: 63
    I get just over 25 mpg at less than 70 mph on the highway in my 08 G35X. Make sure you use a good quality premium gas with little or no ethanol in it. If the gas has any ethanol in it or you are using less than premium grade gas, you will see lower mpg. As an experiment I tried mid-grade on a 170 mile trip and only got 21.5mpg at the same 70 mph highway. This gas could have also had ethanol in it I don't know. All I do know is use quality premium gas... and you should see at least 25 mpg going 70 mph on the highway (flat, no hills).
  • mbhollambholla Member Posts: 37
    Does anyone know if the car is pre-wired for heated seats? :confuse:
    Unfortunately, most of my travels take me to WI, MN, and IA, so everyone uses 10% Ethanol, even in the 92-octane/premium category...this certainly errodes my mpg and unfortunately the price subsidy isn't enough to make up the difference.
  • lralra Member Posts: 13
    Have a 2007 G35 sedan that is a great car. I would like to get a clear shield for the front end to protect against bugs and small stones. Does anyone have a suggested brand, dealer, web page.
  • sm81sm81 Member Posts: 3
    I have had my 08 G35 for over a year and it has been great. A couple of months ago, when I start the car, the nav computer will not boot, none of the buttons on the center console works, no AC controls, etc, but it drives fine. I tried to restart a couple of time in the parking lot and it didn't solve the problem. After driving for about 5 minutes, the computer finally boots up with the infiniti splash screen and everything while I was driving. I haven't run into the same problem again until this morning. The computer didn't boot up until several minutes into the driving. I haven't had a chance to talk to the dealer yet, just wondering if anyone else had similar problems.

Also, with regards to the vibration noise, the only source I have is from the sun glass compartment. Sometimes when I forget to wear my sunglasses, it vibrates and makes buzzing noise. Haven't really had any other noise problem elsewhere.
    There have been a few different posts (I posted too) with similar issues and it seems to just be a bug that eventually works its way out. I had the system crash on me twice a few days after each other, but I haven't had any issues transpire since then (issue arose back in April...had the car for only about 4 months). I had contacted the dealer and they said they hadn't heard of it before, but if it happened again to bring the car in.

As respects rattling, I have one coming from the guage cluster (some others with similar '08 G35xS.have the problem too)..took it in and they "fixed it," but the fix only lasted one day. Seems to be very bad when the weather is warm (expansion of the black dash as it gets warm), but much better when cooler outside (good thing I live in Minnesota, so shouldn't have the problem for very much longer).
  • triblkgtriblkg Member Posts: 7
    I purchased G35 new approx. 1 year ago, after about 12k miles I started experiencing (ramdomly) what can only be described as an extended crank problem. It has not yet failed to start however, it is scary when you are away from home and your car takes several seconds(more than 6) to start. I know it is not bad gas as I have switched to several different brands and the problem still happens. There are no error codes generated and the dealership has replaced several parts to no avail. I have been attempting to get Nissan/Infiniti to step up and address the problem however, all they seem to want to do is continue swapping out parts. Has anyone else had a similar problem with a starting hesitation or extended crank?

Thanks for your replies!
  • drodrigodrodrigo Member Posts: 5
    My wife and I purchased a new 2008 G35xS about 17 months ago. Now we are having the very same problem you're describing here. When the car got 12k miles we started having extended crank issues. We took the car for service about three months ago but the dealer told us that they could not find any problem with the car, or at least the problem was not noticeable during the time they had the car. They recommended us that we should only use premium gas from well known gas station brands like Shell or BP. We told them that prior to the 12k miles we never had the crank issue and that we always use 93 premium gas. I’m concern that if we take the car again they’ll tell us the same thing again.

Were you able to find a solution? An update on your case will be appreciated.
  • drodrigodrodrigo Member Posts: 5
    Just to update on the 2008 G35 starting hesitation or extended crank problem. On March, we had to take again our G35 back for service at the dealership since the extended crank got worst. The car was showing the condition almost every time we used the car for a short trip. This time the technician was able to find what was causing this issue. It was a faulty fuel injector! Our customer advisor told us that they were going to replace all six injector to be on the safe side. Since then the car has been running better than ever.

Now the only thing that is getting on my nerves is a rattle noise that seems to come from the engine area. The noise happens at low RPMs. This noise started just the dealership’s injectors replacement labor. Probably they left something loose. Let see when I’ll be able to take the car back for this new issue to be take care.
  • lcuilcui Member Posts: 5
    Hi, everyone:

My leased car - 2007 G35x full boat, 39 mo/10K miles. The lease ends by the end of this year and I expect to have less than 30K miles on it. The residual value is $23K. I'm seriously considering buy back when the lease is over knowing the car is very clean. I think even at $23K it's a pretty decent price but would like to know if I can negotiate it a bit lower. Just want to hear you guys' opinions/experiences.

Cheers,

lcui
  • gene28gene28 Member Posts: 9
    any knowledge on this. The car just died...called the 1-800 Emergency service which was a joke in our area. Finally got it towed to dealer and they have replaced both throttle chambers. In my search online it seems this is not uncommon. This is not what I expected in a car of this caliber and I only have 21,000 miles on it and have done all routine checks and service. Also have had issue with ball bearing worn out and other steering and noise issues which were resolved. My confidence in this vehicle is not good with so many complaints about this trottle chamber. Any insights here would be helpful.....thanks. At this point it is covered by warranty but the inconvience factor is pretty high.
    so, I baby my G all the time, but yesterday, when putting my computer bag in the passenger seat, I guess I hit the Snow Mode button upon leaving work and didn't realize it was one until I got home. Lots of city traffic, but got up to 70+ mph on the Highway...did I just fry my AWD system or is it smart enough to disengage the 50/50 torque split? Looked in the G Owners Manual and didn't see anything regarding max speed. I have a 2007 Honda Pilot with Differential Lock that says going over 15mph and you'll cause major damage, so hopefully Infiniti is smarter about dumb mistakes some drivers do by hitting a random button on the console. Thoughts?
  • rhard49rhard49 Member Posts: 226
    I found an explantaion in one of the manuals on the infiniti site when I first got my 2008. I believe the system is all wheel drive all the time except when the VDC button on the left side of the dash is de-activated. Snow mode just changes the accelerator settings as to how sensitive the gas peddle is.

Push the SNOW switch ON for slick road conditions. By reducing
    throttle sensitivity, driveability is enhanced. The indicator light
    on the switch will illuminate when Snow mode is ON.
    Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated.

Happy July 4th Infiniti Forum
  • alang4alang4 Member Posts: 40
    I have a 2008 G35x and recently had to have some body work done. Apparently the shop disconnected the battery at some point. The windows go down in one-touch but won't go up in one-touch.

Is this problem something I need to go to Infiniti for or can I fix this myself, through software or the interface?

Thanks!
  • activex111activex111 Member Posts: 41
    hi All,
    I just looked at a 2008 G35 Journey with 25K miles on it. The dealer is offering a good price, 24K + tax etc. I test drove the car and drive is really nice however not sure if the price is worth it. The mileage is one concern. I am looking for an upgrade and thinking of 328i or C230. G35 drive is definitely nice, but the maintenance shouldnt be too expensive.
    any feedback is appreciated. thanks