Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2003 Montana groaning noise when turning

gordyboygordyboy Member Posts: 1
We have a 2003 Montana with AWD. When turning corners there's a loud noise which gets louder the tighter you turn. This is my wifes vehicle which I rarely drive but the first time I heard it I was doing a U-turn and suddenly thought there was a dirt bike or something behind me. Anyone else get a noise like that?

Comments

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Couple things come to mind. If its sorta intermitent (doesn't happen every time you turn or noise goes away during turn) it may be versa-trak fluid needs changing (due to milage or possibly low fluid because of leak). If its constant every time you turn and changes in tone depending on speed, it may be wheel bearing assembly.
  • wesley72wesley72 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Pontiac Montana 2 wheel drive automobile. When driving around 35 miles per hour or faster I feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel and hear a grinding groaning sound when turning right. The noise and vibration stop when turning left or going straight. I have around 62,000 miles on the van. I have new tires and a front end alignment about 3 months ago. I notice the problem about 9 months ago and the noise is getting louder.
    Yours sounds like a wheel bearing. As it happens when steering it is most likely front. One way to check (not the official right way) is to jack up one side and grab wheel on sides or top and bottom and try to wobble it, then do the same on other side. If one has a detectable larger wobble then the other, it is likely that one is bad.
  • wesley72wesley72 Member Posts: 2
    You are correct. I had both wheel bearings replaced and the groaning noise stop. Thanks for your help. Do I throw the old ones away or can they be rebuilt or something else?
    They can not be re-built or anything. If the price you paid for replacement is like some I have seen,,,,,,,,,,, perhaps you can use the old ones as exspensive paperweights ;)
  • greg143greg143 Member Posts: 1
    I lost 1 set of my fob and key for my 2008 Montana. Can I buy a new fob and key (I found a place that sells the set for about $60 for the pair...the key is not cut) and program them myself. Do key cutting places carry keys with the chip in them and could they cut the key. If I buy the blank can they cut it?
  • heart4god828heart4god828 Member Posts: 1
    its sounds like your wheel bearing i have had mine for 5 years and we have trouble out of ours all the time. it will get louder and get dangerous. its about $100 part and has to be on by a mechanic