Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• angelareyangelarey Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Montero. It needed a new battery. upon isntalling the new battery, it started stalling when you started, breaked or coasted. It idles at 800rpms then just abruptly jumps to zero and stalls. Also, no check engine lights appear. Any ideas? thanks, Angela
  • mickeymouse2mickeymouse2 Member Posts: 161
    1)There is an emissions sticker under your hood that will say if your vehicle conforms to california or federal emissions.
    2)Access from underneith the vehicle.
    3)I would go with the oem replacement, it will just plug right in. The generic you have to splice your old plug and have to get the wires wired in correct.
    First make sure you don't have a loose battery cable end. Sometimes after battery replacement the cannection may appear tight but isn't. Try to wiggle it, if it moves, it's loose.
  • cdf22cdf22 Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to this forum so thought I could get some help. I have a 2002 Montero Sport LTD, bought brand new. The only maint. I've done is replace the plugs and an alternator belt. It now has 104k on it. I plan on keeping it til the wheels fall off and figured I should be investing in some preventive care. I've been reading the posts and it looks like I'm lucky the timing belt is still working, but other than that, is there anything I should definitely have done? I hate my Mitsu dealership and cringe at having to take it there, but no anyone else that specializes in these vehicles.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I hate my Mitsu dealership and cringe at having to take it there, but no anyone else that specializes in these vehicles.

Perhaps taking it there will entice them into treating you nicely because they will see you as a prospective buyer with so many miles on your old Montero. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mikevegas06mikevegas06 Member Posts: 272
    Probably should get that timing belt changed ASAP. Then maybe a coolant flush/fill. Check the maintenance schedule that accompanies the owner's manual. That most interesting interval is for the transmission fluid (when you follow the "normal" dirving conditions instead of the "severe").

Also, I think that tidester is correct. Give the Mitsu guys a visit and explain your frustration. If you don't like their response, then you can get your vehicle serviced at most auto repair places. I don't use the Mitsu dealership because the closest one is 17 miles in the opposite direction of my commute.
  • kajakaja Member Posts: 1
    I have noticed a grinding noise when acelerating it starts when i get to about 40 mph and it continues until about 60 mph and when i reach a steady speed it stops! ANy ideas what this could be?
  • mrsformrsfor Member Posts: 6
    So the battery and BRAKE indicators in my 2002 Montero Sport have suddenly coming on, seemingly for no reason. The E-Brake is definitely not on - we never use it. And my husband replaced the battery this morning, but the lights still are on. Any suggestions? We are not close to a Mitsubishi dealership and have limited car repair budget, so any troubleshooting advice would be greatly appreciated!!! :confuse:
  • tirichartirichar Member Posts: 1
    Greetings, all ,,,on the way home from work, incredible popping noise, code reader said PO 203 (misfire on #2), don't have time for this , right? Took it to friendly neigborhood auto tech, and yup, he said, it blew out #2 plug. WHAT ? Anybody ever heard of this happining ? So ther it sits 'till tomorrow until he can un-bury it and see what caused this and what the damage is....?????
    so sorry i never answered this... just now back on the site again with different issues. it is 4WD. but bad news, after all that, our clunk came back... did you ever figure out what yours was? my guess, after replacing the broken axle and wheel bearings in mine, is that the only thing left is the sway bar bushings... let me know if you found it to be something else! thanks!
    :)
  • kjinskkjinsk Member Posts: 5
    Had an overheat event due to rear heat cooling line failure and loss of coolant. Fixed the line (underchassis near the rear), topped of collant all seems okay except the cabin heat/cooling fan will not work (in either auto or manual mode). Climate control graphic shows fan "speed bars", but no air blows. Rear air fan is working in an intake mode only, I hear the motor running and cabin air is being drawn in but I cannot find any air being discharged. Checked fuses labeled as "heater" and they are okay. Engine temp seems normal. Does anyone have an idea why the fan will not work? Could it be related to the overheating? Is the rear discharge fan linked to the front? Any thoughts? Thanks KJ
  • mujmanmujman Member Posts: 29
    I had a slightly different issue with my 04 Montero Ltd. The fan worked but the AC stopped working. The dealer had to replace the Fuse from the fuse box located in the engine compartment and also rewired from Fuse to the compressor. I do not know if the issue is not the fuse then what it could be though . Luckily I had 5 yr. 60,000 warranty which covered the whole work.
  • fnietofnieto Member Posts: 1
    I've been have the following problem, think its a transmission & sensor problem.
    After have the transmission flush and new (only Mitsubishi's ATF) fluids added, the car still will not shift from 2nd and 3rd gears until it's warmed up (about 10 to 15 mins and about 6 miles staight driving). Once it shifts, it will start shifting after that on its own. AutoZone did an analysis and it came back with ATF temp sensor, possibly. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
  • ocmonteroocmontero Member Posts: 10
    Hi everyone,

I have my '02 Montero Sport 4x4 which I purchased it used from a private party. The vehicle comes with 3 cigarette lighter plugs inside and the funny part is that none of them has power to it!!!??? :confuse:
    I've tried all fuses and so on but seems like it is something else. It drives me crazy because I can't use the chargers, GPS, etc...

Does anyone encountered the same or similar problem with the vehicle? Everything else works fine without any malfunctions except this issue.

If you have any ideas, I would greatly appreciate your input!!!
  • nuuchnuuch Member Posts: 1
    My 94 failed it's echeck with high NO readings (Nitrous Oxide)

I'm told the EGR valve may be bad. Where the heck is the EGR valve on my 3.0 v-6?

The readings are supposed to be no more than 859ppm and I have over 1800.

Any ideas on how to fix this other than throwing parts at it would be appreciated.
  • rem218rem218 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Montero Sport and the Hold light is on. What does that mean? I don"t have an owners manual any ideas how to find out what it means?
    The EGR is usually located near the intake manifold. If you're lucky, it just needs to be cleaned.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mikesLTD2001mikesLTD2001 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero LTD with a 3.5 engine. It has 105,000 miles and has always been a good performer. I have maintained it well myself and about 10,000 miles ago I changed the timing belt, plugs, wires, etc. A few weeks ago it started to show hi temp on the guage. Momentarily it would even bury the needle and then drop back down. I replaced the thermostat and the radiator cap and made sure I eliminated all of the air by bleeding the top screws near the thermostat. I have run the car through many heat/cool cycles and rechecked the bleed screws. It is not losing fluid and I find no more air when I check the bleed screws or the radiator cap. It is somewhat better now but I still get times when the temp slowly rises quite high and then quickly drops back down to normal (like a bad thermostat or an air lock.) Both the thermostat and the radiator cap were aftermarket. Any ideas as to where to go from here?

Thank you
    Mike
    The "hold" feature starts the SUV in second gear (instead of first) to reduce torque such that you are less likely to spin the wheels in slippery conditions.
    Hi everyone,
    My 02 Monty has developed a noise, almost like a rattling noise at start up when engine it is cold. I was told that this is not something that may hurt the performance, but it bugs me!!!
    If I start the vehicle after sitting for a while will have this noise. In order to avoid it quickly, I have to shut down the engine and start it again. Sometimes it takes up to 3 times to have it gone away.
    Could be low on oil. Could be due to age/miles. If she's getting up there in miles, then consider using Marvel Myster Oil or Slick 50. Also, ask your mechanic about the noise at your next oil change.
    good luck
    I thought so on the first phase, but I guess I am lucky. This is not the case, plus the truck doesn't burn hardly any oil. I just returned from a 1,100 miles trip and was fine.
    The only one issue is when I start it in the morning. If I rturn it off and crank it again will go away. Now I have to do it a couple times or more.
    My guess is the starter, and specific the solenoid on it. I guess it doesn't close as it suppose to.
    I wouldn't use Slick 50 on this engine (shy of 90k), as manufacturer doesn't recommend it. I run it on 5W30 fully synthetic and it is fine.
    Thank you for the info.
  • montero01ownermontero01owner Member Posts: 1
    I have 2001 Mitsubishi Montero. Recently I have noticed that on very cold days, when I leave my car outside of garage (like parking lots) for more than 3 to 4 hours, engaging transmission doesn't work properly. When I put in Drive, it went couple of yards and then stopped moving. I had to switch the gear couple of time and then with a small jerk, it started moving forward. When I warm my car for 5 to 10 minutes, I don't experience the problem. Is there anything can be done or do I have to continue warming for 5 to 10 minutes in cold season. I never had to do this earlier. Any suggestion on this will be helpful. I don't want to go to dealer without knowing all the facts because it is very expensive.
  • poetryoflifepoetryoflife Member Posts: 1
    I am a Female that knows nothing about the maintenance of vehicles, besides oil changes. The minor upkeep has been taken care of like the three small belts, my brother put them on. The brake pads were replaced a few years back and new tires about the same time. Unfortunately, I am jobless now and have to work piddly jobs to afford things like food and toiletries. Now my Timing belt needs to be changed, and was told it is $500.00 to $600.00, I have 73,400 miles on it. Its frustrating cause no-one wants to touch it for less! Heck the whole thing is probably only worth $1500.00 if I'm lucky, so no consolation on trying to sell it or trade it in on something else straight across. And today I found out the pump for the windshield wiper fluid is not doing its job, must have went out too! Personally I wish I hadn't bought the $35,000 dollar vehicle, even though it is paid for it is NOT cheap by no means to get it worked on! I'm driving it on borrowed time, especially if the Belt gives out and crashes the whole engine! Am I worrying too much about the belt? Or am I right in being concerned?! God only knows when I can afford to pay anything close to $600.00 dollars unless I get a full time job that pays more than min wage and gives me more hours. At least the heat still works! lol! Other than what I have said needs fixing it runs really well, but from what I've read it could only get worse! None of my friends want to touch it, even though they could do everything else for alot cheaper! Sorry, I had to vent.
  • ruddneckruddneck Member Posts: 23
    I definitely empathize with you. But if your timing belt goes out, it could lead to a bigger and more expensive plight, so you're (unfortunately) right to worry about it.

You say your friends diagnosed the problem; are they mechanics, and if friends, could they let you pay for it in installments? Alternatively, I saw a TV news segment the other day that was discussing the resurgence of bartering as a consequence of the economic climate. Perhaps there's a network like that near you that you could join to get the repair done. Just an idea. Best of luck.
    If it is a 4 or 6 cylinder they both are interferance engines in wich the possibility of valve to piston damage will usually occur if there is a timing belt failure. The interval to change the belt is every 60,000 miles according to my Alldata book. Your either way over due or forgot that it was changed 13,400 miles ago. Timing belts usually don't last that long past their interval. On the 4 cylinder the labor rate is 3.7 hours and on the 6 cylinder it is 5.3 hours. The 4 cylinder has another belt inside the timing cover, that drives a ballance shaft that should also be changed. I have scene different intervals for the same vehicle in the past from different sources. Check your owners manual for the proper interval, you might get lucky and it might be 90k.
  • penguin87penguin87 Member Posts: 5
    i have a 2001 montero sport LS ,when i come to a stop,or when i slow down
    it dies out on me,
    can someone tell me the problem with it ,an how to fix it myself

Just copied your posting because my problem is identical. Did you ever correct the problem? Had it checked out on 2/12/09 & they replaced a small tube that's a vacuum line. Car was fine for 2 days until I took it for a long drive. Same problem is still there

i also have to hold the breaks down,an give it a little gas to keep it run'ing

THANKS
    I tend to believe that you have a problem with your "idle control valve". Ask the mechanic to test this part.
    Also, you may want to consider adding some additives on the gas tank, possible your fuel filter may be due for a change.
    Good luck
  • penguin87penguin87 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info. I'll be checking into this. TK
    Also consider having your alternator checked.
  • lzacharylzachary Member Posts: 1
    Is a cam leak a consistent problem with this vehicle? I'm considering buying an '01 XLS 4WD and any "preventative" advice would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Lee
  • trelannitrelanni Member Posts: 1
    The oil leak all out from my Montero. Along with the oil leak came a knocking noise. Took it to a mechanic who informed me that I need a new engine. He mentioned nothing about the oil leak. Then he told me that I might not need to change the whole engine, just to change the engine block. He still didn't mention anything about the oil leak. He also mentioned that it seemed like something broke inside the engine, because the dip stick is loose.
  • ruddneckruddneck Member Posts: 23
    If you ran the vehicle without oil in it, you probably burned up the engine and will need a new one.
    HI,

I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero LTD with about 106,000 miles. Recently I experienced my temperature guage reading high when the car was not overheating. Sometime after that started, my speedometer started to stick. It starts at 0 and as you speed up it jumps up in increments of about 10 MPH. As you slow down it stays at the same reading until it suddenly drops back down. At highway speeds of 65 or so it only reads 50-55. I changed out the small controller board on the back of the instrument cluster and that solved the problem with the temperature guage but the speedomete still acts the same. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Mike
    I finally got this temp guage problem resolved. I purchased a new instrument cluster control board MR532787 which is mounted on the back of the instrument cluster. Now the temp guage reads fine.

Mike
    Mike,

Thanks for the update on how to resolve the temp gauge problem. Not sure what's up with your speedometer, though. Sounds like the cable/gearing associated with the speedometer is dirty. I suggest posting your question at this website mitsubishi-forums.com
    Hope this helps.
    Hi,

I have a Montero LTD and I got bumped from the back pushing against the spare tire. The ony damage is that the rear door does not close properly now. It has an open space at the top of the door. Is this just a readjustment of the door hinges and their shims? Any tips on how to check if the fit is right?

Thanks
    Mike
  • rosswlrosswl Member Posts: 1
    Mike,

my 2001 Montero's temp gauge also indicates HOT after driving for a few minutes. This started a couple weeks ago and it seems to float between mid-level and Hot. I just had the temp sensor replaced and coolant flushed and it still happens. I had the radiator and thermostat (and more) replaced last year. All other gauges seem to be fine. You indicated that replacing the control board (MR532787) solved the temp gauge mis-readings. Was it easy to replace or does it require a mechanic?

Thanks,

Ross
    It's really just a ten minute job. The guage cluster cover comes out with 2 screws and the cluster itself is held in by 4 more. The entire cluster pulls straight out and the control board is screwed on to the back of it with 4 screws. You need to be careful seating the board so your speedometer does not get flexed out of shape. The only problem is the board cost about 210. from a dealer. I found on e on line from a dealer in California for about 170 and a little shipping.

Mike
  • 04_montero_ltd04_montero_ltd Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2004 Montero Ltd. After a couple of weeks, the following began.

The left turn signal triggers all the dash gauge lights and console lights to blink along with the turn signal (speedometer, tach, transmission indicator, fuel, temp, 4x4, door ajar, P R N D indicator 4 wheel drive indicator on console, radio, information center, climate controls, cigarette lighter and ash tray.) This does not occur with the right turn signal.

When I turn on the parking lights or headlights, all the left turn signal bulbs stay on constantly, but the above lights do not flash when the left turn signal is then activated.

Anyone have a suggestions as to what might be wrong?

Thank you.
    Check this out: Montero Sports 4x4 light flashing

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • sapruzzesesapruzzese Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    Not sure if anyone can help me. I have a 2002 mitsubishi montero xls that is overheating. There is a metal pipe towards the back of the motor that is leaking. Does anyone know the name of this pipe so that I can replace it???
    i have a 2002 montero sport, and we had our mechanic do some work on it recently (calipers, etc), but the service engine light was coming on and still is. he plugged it up to his computer but it says it is a dealer code... it still comes on whenever we drive long distances, and usually when we are heading up hill (we live in the mountains)... it has 140K miles on it, and has been a great car. i want to take good care of it, but really prefer to use the mechanic we always do rather than pay dealership service prices. any ideas about the origin of the light? thanks!!! :)
  • lavoiture1lavoiture1 Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Montero has 35000 miles and at the garage they said that I have to change my timing belt. I am confused because the Mitsubishi maintenance book says that I have to do it at 60000 miles. Can some one help me ? Thank you :confuse:
    Your timing belt interval is 60k. However you need to read the fine print in your owners manual. Timing belts can fail due to age and nothing else. Most manufacturers recomend 60k or 3-5 years. You have an interfearence engine that basically means if there is a timing belt failure, the engine will self destruct. Bent valves and or valve to piston damage. Hmmmm, 02 and it is 2009. Lets do some Math. Seven years old. I have been a Certified Mechanic for 30 years. I would recomend changing it. You are probably reading the interval chart in your manual. Look in the written area about timing belts specifically.
  • bigskyvtbigskyvt Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I just had the same problem with disaterous results. The pipe on my car, same year model as yours, was the auxiliary heat pipe. I did not notice any leakage but it was corroded and burst. THat lead to (within 1 minute) the draining of all fluids and now I have a car with either a cracked head or worse. I am trying to get somewhere with Mitusbishi as this part should never fail or corrode. My car has 60,000 miles on it. THis may or may not be your problem but is sounds familiar and the pipe is more toward the right rear of the car
  • bigskyvtbigskyvt Member Posts: 2
    THis just happend to my 02 Montero limited but was not as lucky. Within one minute after the auxiliary heat pipe burst from corrosion, its drained all fluids from my car and cracked the head or block. Any idea of recourse from Mitsubishi? My mechanic says he had never seen this happen and when I called Mitsubishi, they said that pretty much I was out of luck. THey said to bring it to the nearest dealer but at this point that is over 60 miles away as the three dealers closest to me in CT. have gone out of business within the past 3 years. Any help would be apppreciated
  • mfgeng_issmfgeng_iss Member Posts: 1
    I have a new alternator and battery, but the voltage remains 12v when the engine is started. I removed the alternator and had it bench tested to 14v. What else can be wrong with my charging system.

Thanks
    Dave
  • sapruzzesesapruzzese Member Posts: 2
    Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that happened. I haven't been driving the car since December because of this leak because I was afraid I would crack a head or something. No one could help me with the name of the part, so thank you so much for letting me know. As far as dealerships in CT you are absolutely right and it's so ridiculous that you have a car and no service departments in the area. Good luck and again thanks for the help.
  • pablomania1pablomania1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 montero limite and when I drive it to 2000 rpm it start to shake and rattle can any one tell me what is the problem tank