Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    I will preface all of this by saying that it's not a Jeep, and I haven't heard any offroading stories about the 2002 models . . . but the first-generation CR-V had a surprising amount of capability to offer. Personally, the sand at Galveston Island is the roughest stuff I have asked my 2000 CR-V to traverse. I know a fellow owner in east Texas who got himself hooked on "mudding" in a _2WD_ CR-V. He later traded for a RT4WD model partly so he wouldn't miss out on anything.
    But the best guy I know that can relate to this topic the best is a guy down in south Texas who has a '97 CR-V; I had the pleasure of meeting him two summers ago. He is an agricultural consultant who drives this vehicle over dusty and muddy fields on a daily basis . . . with the A/C running constantly . . . while towing a small trailer. The only unexpected maintenance he has had done was replacement of a CV boot after a corn stalk tore through it. The silly car is closing in on 190k-mi. His results are probably atypical, but it's fun to see what is possible.
  • wildfire007wildfire007 Member Posts: 4
    Hi.
    How would I calculate this number? if it 2% of msrp?

Thank.
  • wildfire007wildfire007 Member Posts: 4
    Hi.
    Here are a couple of questions on this subject:
    1) I live in Northern California: what percentage would the charges be?

2)Are these negotiable or simply mandatory?

I just want to make sure that I am being charged a fair price when I purchase my car.

Thanks for the advice.
    The only pricing put forth by American Honda are 1) the MSRP of the vehicle, 2) the MSRP of any Honda accessories, and 3) the destination fee. That's it. Anything else beyond government-mandated fees/taxes are just ways for the dealership to pad their profit. Advertising is just a regular cost of doing business and should be folded into the price of the car.
  • upstateny2upstateny2 Member Posts: 11
    Question to the Forester owners who post here.
    I'm looking to trade in my 97CR-V (I'm not in a rush). I will again be looking at the CRV & Forester. The reason I selected the CRV last time was the lack of leg room in the Forester, especially the back seats. Any preliminary info on the 2003 Forester regarding this?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    We're hoping for the same. That's been the most consistent complaint of the current Forester; the lack of rear legroom. One of the "rumors" floating around is that it may be spun off the larger Legacy/Outback platform this time. The current model is based off the last-generation Impreza platform.

Keep your fingers crossed. The new Forester is scheduled for a "world introduction" at the NY Auto Show in the spring, and be in dealers in June.

Bob
  • dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    i have never actually had to touch it. i am 6 feet tall, and was immedeatly sold on the head room in the cr-v. it had much larger head and shoulder room than even 4Runner. in fact 4 runner was very cramped.
    back to your question, i guess i will have to touch it today when i drive it, but it looks like the headliner in my 99 civic, which is kind of hard felt material. much better than the vynil headliner i had in my 85 civic :-)
  • leokadia1leokadia1 Member Posts: 94
    As long as the engine and transmission never fails, that what important to me. The quality of my first Honda Accord LX 1990 interior material were far above those of my 1995 Accord EX. The 90 came with a carpeted trunk cover as standard, the 95 it was extra. Both cars never let me down once!
    My 97 CRV has cheap vinyl sun visors and hard felt material for a headliner. Again @ 127,000 miles it has never stop running strong. The head liner and cheap sun visor have never made me late for work. The New 2002 CRV interior has better materials, maybe cause of the strong dollar against the weak yen. Interiors is much of a factor why I always buy Honda its reliability that sell me.
  • dggolf38dggolf38 Member Posts: 1
    I got an offer of $500 under list here in Vermont on a 2002 CR-V EX -- but I have not yet got real serious on the negotiation front. I drove a CR-V on a test and it is a huge improvement on the previous generation -- note that it is now bigger and with more power than a Toyota RAV4 and about the same dimensions as a Ford Escape but of course not the same power. The quality of the new CR-V is just superb -- but this is not a luxury vehicle -- no leather and no power seats. I am 6-3 and the leg room requires me to kind of fold my knee a little to the right but then my 98 Accord does the same. Net is the CR-V is not quite perfect but close enough.
  • canadatwocanadatwo Member Posts: 198
    It is perfectly adequate for many off-pavement situtations. Just make sure you know its limits.

Your best best may be to beg Nissan to bring the X-Trail over here. The X-Trail is a much more capable off-roader and is not as "heavy" as the Liberty.
  • jrdwyerjrdwyer Member Posts: 168
    Thanks for the Hondasuv link.

The pictures from the roadtrip section of what people have put their CRVs through is amazing. I'm sold!
  • mmomammoma Member Posts: 1
    I can't believe that Honda Canada and Honda North America are so different. Offering a upscale version of the EX only to Canada and not to the US, What gives? I really like the improvements on the vehicle for 2002, but wanted the niceties offer on the Candian version, Has anyone tried importing one on their own? Probablly alot of red tape. May be less hassel to just buy current version and add options my self.
  • apatiaapatia Member Posts: 36
    I'm car shopping and am really only looking at the CRV and the Vue as small SUV options. The CR-v leads its class in emissions and gas mileage and Honda contends the CR-V will get a 5 star crash rating. I just can't figure out if those facts are enough to over come the center console and the CR-V's options packages.

Can ABS be added after market? Hah, I'm just joking. But I am really irritated that I'd have to get an EX with a Sunroof and 6 cd player I don't want in order to get ABS (what I really want). Also, the center console is an atrocity. What was Honda thinking? Honda certainly could have thought harder about the design of the center console if the missing navigation system wasn't going to be an option for everyone.

Mechanically, I'm leaning Honda. Aesthetically, I'm leaning Saturn. Ironic, isn't it.

That's just my 2 pennies.
    Honda could have made things a lot easier if a decision was made to put ABS on every CR-V. I do like the fact that having just two or three trim levels makes pricing simpler, instead of being confronted with dozens of options packages. And why the opening in the center console doesn't accomodate CD jewel cases, I may never understand.

Back in 2000, I knew that I could have met my driving needs with a 2WD LX. (Here in metro Houston where it's flat and it never snows, 8 out of every 10 CR-V's are 2WD!) But I felt that ABS was important enough to spend extra for. Over time, I've come to appreciate the looks of the alloy wheels too. So, I don't really have any regrets over paying more.
  • marky777marky777 Member Posts: 24
    After having used the console first hand, I find the upper console that people are all complaining about is perfect for cassette tapes. I use the lower one for CD's. I actually think it's cool that there are so many compartments in the cabin area. Makes it easy for packrats like me ;)
  • varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    Like just about everyone else, I would rather that the upper storage bin were big enough for CD's, but I think that the lower bin is fine. Besides, with an indash six disk changer, I don't think I would need to search the compartments for Bela Fleck and Flectones all that often.

I suspect that Honda will start putting ABS in the LX trim when people stop buying those models. The CR-V LX and EX trim levels have always been similar to the other Civic-based models in the US. When it becomes a market problem, they'll be forced to correct it. My guess is, it hasn't been a problem. Typically we don't hear from them on the internet, but there are people out there who think that ABS is bad mojo. Some of us here may recall the infamous Large Marge who debated the subject for several days over at the CR-V IX.

I would like to see it as part of a saftey option. Maybe they could combine ABS and the side air bags into a combined package for the LX.
  • potenzauspotenzaus Member Posts: 29
    can this be installed on a 2001 CRV using the OEM cover box? Has anybody tried this? Any improvements on the performance? Thanks.
  • dfieldingdfielding Member Posts: 12
    Potenzaus - I have been running a K&N filter in my 1999 CRV all but a few initial months. It works great. On my vehicle it was a simple drop in replacement for the Honda air filter, nothing else to be added or changed. When I first put the K&N in I noticed the engine was a little more "free-breathing" especially at high RPMs. I have used K&Ns on motorcycles for 20 years with excellent results. They are easy to clean and never have to be replaced, (saving you lots of money over the replacement stock filters over time if you keep your vehicles a long time like I do).
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Just remember, every manufacturer says they'll get a 5 star rating, then many act surprised when they don't. Civic did well, though, so 5 stars seem likely, but no guarantees.

I agree that ABS isn't just for the rich; it should be at least optional on lesser models. Folks with a $20k price limit can't get ABS, basically. But Hyundai and Toyota are guilty of this too.

Too bad about the Liberty issues, it's also been getting bad press about rollovers (Autoweek, and now a 2nd case with a European magazine). I really liked the one I test drove.

Theodore: I'll suggest you hop over to the Forester thread for more info on the 2003 update. Comparisons are OK, but we should take pure Subie discussion over there.

On the AWD debate, a new-for-2002 item has crept up: torque steer. At least one review I read mentioned the new CR-V tugged at the wheel under acceleration. This wasn't a real problem with the older models because there wasn't nearly as much torque. I haven't driven one yet so I have not experienced this first-hand, and I imagine it's not nearly as bad as, say, an Altima, but it is a factor for some people when choosing between different AWD systems.

-juice
    True, there are no guarantees on manufacturer claims for safety. However Honda has earned it for every vehicle where they made that claim. Since their year-round crash faclilty went on-line a few years ago, Honda released the new Ody, MDX, and Civic. All were touted with high crash ratings and all have earned it. If Honda were making claims about superior torque, I'd raise an eyebrow, but safety seems to be one area where they don't mess around. Honda lawyers are too much in control of such things.
    OK, but can I quote you if they only give it 4 stars? ;-)

I'm actually more interested to see if there is an improvement in the IIHS offset crash test, which is much tougher. Santa Fe and Forester did well on that one; will the CR-V join them? We'll see.

-juice
    How long is that "delete post" option available? =)

So far Honda has predicted a five star front rating (both seats I would assume) for the NHTSA test. They are also predicting a rating of "Good" for the IIHS. No word on the NHTSA side impact tests, though. I'm not about to put my first born into the ante, but I don't see any reason to doubt it either.
  • kelrhyskelrhys Member Posts: 10
    Hello,

I just thought I would post my pricing experience in case anyone else in the Sacramento area might be able to use it! I used a fellow Edmunds Town Hall poster's idea of mass-emailing all the dealers in the area with my offer of $500 over invoice. I sent about 14 emails in all, both north and south of Sacramento and several Bay Area locations. The dealers closest to Sacramento all stuck to MSRP (Auburn, Roseville, Mel Rapton) while Fairfield went $700 under MSRP, lots of them haven't replied yet. However, Yuba City Honda 45 minutes north of Sacramento accepted my offer of $500 over invoice ($21540, including destination charge for EX with Automatic) I won't be buying there because by coincidence one of the other dealers even farther north happens to be an old friend who will sell to me at the same price in the color I want right away. Yuba City currently has Mojave Mist and Green colors according to their email.

I hope this helps someone :) That mass email strategy really paid off, thanks to the person who posted it!

Rebecca
    I bet it does get 5 stars and at least an "Average" from IIHS, we'll see. I'm just saying it's too early to say, and that generally the designers are optimistic.

You're right, though, in that newer Hondas have improved and so should the CR-V.

-juice
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    I thought the previous CRV had 5-star frontal rating already.
    The 1st gen CR-V has a 5 star rating for the passenger seat and a 4 start for the driver. The side impacts are 5 and 5 for front and back seats, but the IIHS off-set is only "marginal".
  • kwhkwh Member Posts: 68
    I saw my first CR-V on the road this AM. It was very foggy & I thought it was a Pontiac Transport in the fog - the profile looked like a van instead of a SUV in the mist. It was the dull red color, I think the people on this board are correct; they are saving the good colors for later model years. Overall the new design looks pretty good in the daylight. The overall shape reminds me a bit of my wife's RX300. The only thing I really don't like are the headlights. I sat in a CR-V when I was having my Civic worked on last month at a dealer. It seems very comfortable and well laid out inside. I won't take a serious look at the CR-v until:
    1-the prices come down (it won't take as long as some think) This is the biggest strength of the CR-V - what you get for the money, compared to its rivals

2- I see the actual crash tests results

Also on a dealer lot I drove by today there were no 2002's but they had 4 2001's out in front. Guess they havn't sold them all yet.
  • upwegoupwego Member Posts: 2
    Anyone purchase a '02 CR-V in Los Angeles?
    How much discount were you able to get? How about dealer installed options?
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    There must be a mistake. Your wife drives an RX300 and you drive a Civic. Now the Civic is a fine little car, but....what's the story?!
  • carseeker4carseeker4 Member Posts: 228
    I keep trying to buy a Honda, but I just HATE the way they set up trim levels, etc. NO ABS unless you get a stinkin' MOON roof (don't want). I just don't get their philosophy. No V6 in an SUV? They put one in an Accord, why not a CRV? Don't like the center console in the new CRV (you may ask "what center console?"). I love Honda's mechanically. They are wonderfully built. Now that they got that right, maybe they should work on asthetics and marketing versatility a bit! Just my 2 cents.... In spite of their mechanical drawbacks, I still like the Tribute or VUE better (haven't driven the VUE yet, but the pix look more appealing than the CRV)....
  • bfyerxabfyerxa Member Posts: 78
    Just got my 2002 EX 5 speed today (Canadian version hence no roof). Some initial impressions:

- Quite satisfied with the power with the manual trans; I thought the auto was a little wimpy, but the 5 speed is good. The only caveat is that it revs high in 5th (3500 rpm at 120 km/h or ~75mph) whereas the auto revs lower. Nice broad torque curve and the VTEC portion of the i-VTEC allows it to keep pulling strongly over 5000 rpm (you can feel it kick in).
    - Motor is smooth and quiet which makes the high revving top gear acceptable.
    - Wind noise is good and overall is noticeably more quiet than the Escape.
    - Does have a bit of torque steer - you really have to pay attention when you stomp on it coming out of a corner.
    - No dead pedal (correct term?) which I find annoying. Also no center arm rests in manual trans. with no accessory add-ons available for 2002 yet. Hopefully can add some later.
    - Stereo quality is nothing to write home about but good enough for me. The CD changer is slow and I don't think there is a random feature across disks (only on the selected disk).
    - Climate controls are funky but solid feeling. They are much easier to interpret at night when they are lit.
    - Brakes seem better on my delivered vehicle then the test drive. They probably cleaned off some shipping coating or something like that.
    - Handling is good although not quite as sharp as the Escape's (but close).
    - I do prefer the center console in the Escape; time will tell how much this will bug me.
    - I normally never buy a first year model but I really wanted to get one built in Japan vs. the UK.

Overall I am impressed. I bought the CR-V over the Escape purely for quality and reliability. I rented an Escape for a weekend and enjoyed driving it much more that the CR-V I took on a test drive (which was an auto). But my 5 speed CR-V is much closer on the performance front while smoking the Escape on build quality and wind noise.

BTW, it seems us Canucks have better trim packages for once. The only things the EX here really adds are alloy wheels, side airbags, CD changer/better speakers, privacy glass and keyless. The Canadian LX has ABS and such. Our EX does not get the moonroof (which is fine with me). We also have the EX-L which adds leather and the roof. Basically the EX was perfect for my needs as is. Honda does nickel and dime you on accessories, however, e.g, roof rack, tonneau cover, cargo net, etc.
  • fasteddie9fasteddie9 Member Posts: 63
    Why do you think it was not included? My 2000 civic ex has one. Can an after market one be installed?
  • artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    Actually, all models in Canada (LX, EX, EX-Leather) have both ABS and EBD standard. It would be nice if we could get a moonroof without having to go for the full-zoot leather version but c'est la vie.
    I didn't even realize my 02 LX had ABS until double-checking it on the honda.ca site. The US specs have played with my mind too much, I guess ;). I'll have to make a concious effort now to even out my brake pressure rather than my typical pumping style.

So, between LX & EX in Canada, all you get is alloys, 6-disc changer, coloured-heated mirrors, rear window tint, keyless entry, and side air bags....

Hmmm... I went with the LX b/c I don't mind the steel wheels (my friend's thought they were alloys at first). I added keyless as an option. The better deal, IMO.
  • artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    Yeah, I'll probably go for the LX as well....all I really need to add (as you did) is keyless entry.
    Bummer. When I test drove the '02 model, I noted the lack of a true dead pedal or foot rest. There's just a rubber "bump" there instead. I was hoping that Honda would add a real foot rest for the manual transmision CR-Vs (where I think it would be more important).

I know that with the 1st gen CR-V's you can simply bolt in a different foot rest. I've toyed with the idea of making a larger one for my big feet, but I dunno about the '02 models.
  • trilliumstevetrilliumsteve Member Posts: 35
    When I went to test drive the 2002, the sales rep told me the fabrics are different in the EX and LX, with the EX a better grade. I was not able to confirm this, because all the LXs at the dealer had the brown fabric, and all the EXs had either leather or the black fabric. My wife thinks that if true, the EX fabric may hold up better over time, although I am inclined to think that it may only be a matter of appearance.
    According to the US brochure, there are two different fabrics for the LX and EX. Which one is better is probably a matter of fashion.
  • tmanmiatatmanmiata Member Posts: 79
    For the US CR-V, the LX and EX fabrics are different. I sat on both and noticed the patterns are different. There are like fabric samples(along with paint color and all that) at the dealer. The EX fabric may be a tad thicker. As for the quality difference, I couldn't really tell.
    I guess the lack of a deal pedal is less important in a vehicle Honda doesn't expect to be driven with gusto. Still, it would be nice.

-juice
  • trilliumstevetrilliumsteve Member Posts: 35
    I picked up on an earlier posting that some CR-Vs will be made in the UK at some point in the future. Does anybody have any more detailed info on that? Like when the UK CR-Vs will start being produced, and where they will be going to? I plan to buy in mid 2002, and I also think that I would prefer a Japanese-built one - but I admit that I have no facts on which to base this judgment. Does anybody know anything about the UK plant -- is it a new plant, or is it an existing plant -- because if it is an existing facility, it should have a reputation. I don't think I have ever seen it listed -- good or bad-- in any of the JD Power stuff.
  • peterclaverpeterclaver Member Posts: 13
    Anyone out there cross shopping for the Suzuki XL-7 ?
    XL-7 touring trim has 7 seats (if you need them ever), std V6 (183 hp), 3000 lbs towing, std fog lights, std DRL, std roof rack, std rear AC, 16 inch wheels, 3/36 roadside assistance, etc.

Down side (v/s CRV EX auto) is no rear disc brakes, no side impact airbags, no rear flip-up windshield, no CD changer :-(

Any thoughts or comments ?
    Peter
  • kwhkwh Member Posts: 68
    to the carwash and to the dealer to get the oil changed!! Actually, I bought the RX for the same reason so many look at the CR-V. I felt I couldn't go wrong - if I didn't like it I could get almost all of my money back through resale. I was going to purchase a Jeep Grand Cherokee my wife had picked out; I was checking prices and found a site named edmunds.com. I went to Town Hall for the first time and could not believe what I was reading - disaster after disaster. I test drove Explorer, 4Runner, Trailblazer, etc. and hated them all. I personally like a small zippy kind of car thus the civic. The CR-V I drove this summer while I was getting my Civic serviced had the same kind of fun to drive feeling. I have read many critical comments about the 2001 CIvic but I think it is a great car (the ride is bouncier than the the Accords I had). I am definitely going to check out a 2002 CR-V this Spring when supplies are up at dealerships. There are so many more great SUV choices than there were in 1999.
    The XL-7 is a body-on-frame design and will drive more like a truck. It also only has part-time 4wd. These will only be desireable if you plan to do serious off-roading. I would discount that 3rd row seat. It is only useful for toddlers or amputees. Getting into the 3rd row also requires substantial athletic abilities.
    IIRC, the new V does have a dead pedal. It's just flater, less pronounced than in the previous version.
    yeah, as canadiancl says, the dead pedal in a minor form, is there. It's more mounted on the floor rather than the rear wall of the foot area.

on the carpet issue, a salesman said that the thicker carpeting on the ex actually makes a big difference in cabin noise as it adds sound insulation. hmmm...
    Trilliumsteve - Looks like the UK plant will not be shiping to the US for the first year of production. I don't believe there is any reason to fear build quality from that plant though.

Peterclaver - Depends on what you are going to do with it. If you're staying on paved roads, I'd recommend the CR-V. If not, then the XL-7 may be a good choice.

Canadiancl - Yep. There is a rubber spot on the carpet directly over a "lump" in the floor.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    What is IIRC? I've seen that so many times and I have yet to figure it out based on context clues.
    IIRC = If I Recall Correctly.
  • zircon2zircon2 Member Posts: 94
    My neighbour (H. dealer) said they will switch over some time in summer '02 to British vehicles in eastern North America.

In 2.5 years with Ohio built Accord I have had 1 problem (heated seat). In 1.5 yrs with CRV, my wife has had to refill the washer fluid when empty, change oil and nada else. I would trade for another Japanese CR-V in a minute, but am dubious over the English one.

Anyone know if that English plant is new? My brother is a quality control engineer in the industry and claims that Honda intends to have the same build quality worldwide. Is this really possible?