Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Brake Problems

buzzz1buzzz1 Member Posts: 42
I have a 2007 EB and the truck pulls to the left under hard braking. Dealer says it's normal. Went on 3 ride a longs and the truck pulls to the left. Anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• muskratmuskrat Member Posts: 3
    My 98 expedition is having a brake problem. As I depress the pedal I get a hard vibration in the pedal and a decrease in stopping power. The ABS light comes on as well. If I turn the car off and restart the ABS light goes of, but I will soon experience the same issue again. Anybody have any ideas as to what is causing this..
  • buzzz1buzzz1 Member Posts: 42
    More than likely your rotors are warped and or damaged. Go to a reputable brake shop ASAP. Not worth getting into an accident.
  • muskratmuskrat Member Posts: 3
    I have a 98 Expediton XLT 4X4. Periodically, not all the time, when I apply the brake a get a severe vibration in the pedal and a def. decrease in braking power. Pedal feels very hard to depress when this is occuring. Then the ABS light comes on. When I turn off the car and restart it resets. I cant prove it, but it seems to happen when I apply the brake and hit a bump or a pot hole at just the right time. Brake shop charged me $1000.00 to fix nothing. Any guesses???
  • trumpguy03trumpguy03 Member Posts: 8
    What type of pads do you guys (and gals) have on your expy's? I can't seem to get mine to not make noise when I brake. Changed to semi-metallic about 6 months ago and had the rotors machined not too long ago. Noise just won't stop.
  • c21realtorc21realtor Member Posts: 4
    My 07 Limited pulls to the right and my traction control light comes on randomly for 15-45 sec the petal goes to the floor, and you loose your brakes and can't steer either. Its mostly when going strait and applying them lightly to pervent gaining too much speed like when going down a hill.

And the dealership doesn't seem to care about it.
    What? Call Fords customer service line. The number is in your owners manual. Tell them this is a life threatening situation and demand to have a engineer look at the vehicle. I would also tell them the dealer did not want to help you.

It took me 3 engineers, and 7 repairs to find out the hydraulic control unit on my 07 was bad and causing the pulling.

Also, take video of the car pulling. This has helped many people with intermittent problems.
    They finally fixed the truck. After too many tries, they replaced the hydraulic control unit, brakes fixed.
  • zbudmanzbudman Member Posts: 3
    hi i have a 07 and the same problem and they just don't care so i called ford motor and they told me they talk to the tech and there answer was it was fixed 2 days later it did it again so i put in for the lemon law and i got a lawyer and i should no some thing in 2 to 3 weeks we love the truck it sucks they will not help us :lemon:
    Yep, lemoning the truck was the only way I got a response from Ford. Be persistent, it pays off!
    what did they do for you?
    Gave me my money back or what I payed on the choice of a new car. I chose a 08 Expedition. Much better.
    ok i hope they do something thanks
  • bwanapetebwanapete Member Posts: 15
    Suddenly our 45,000 mile '03 mostly lost its brakes. Pedal goes to the floor, as you push. Pumping does no good. Stops about as well as with the parking brake, which is to say you need a lot of room. Brake fluid was above the "minimum" mark, but I added more anyway. No difference. Does stop straight. Pads and rotors replaced all-round and parking brake replaced too, all in the last 5,000 miles. I had it towed to a shop because we live on quite a hilltop.

Have others of you had the same problem? Is it a master cylinder problem?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That could be but I'd check for air in the brake lines first.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • pagtarappagtarap Member Posts: 10
    As i hit the breaks, I would feel several jolts before the vehicle goes into a full stop. Anybody have this kind of experience? I was thinking vehicle must be downshifting or breakpads sticking too much.
  • pagtarappagtarap Member Posts: 10
    just went to the dealership guys. I was told that there's a "transmission issue". I was asked to come back monday march 29 leave the car for a couple of days so they can do further testing. Will post what will happen next.
    TSB 08-22-7

11/10/08

DRIVELINE BUMP WHILE BRAKING - BELOW 10 MPH (16 KM/H)
    FORD:
    2007-2008 Expedition

This article supersedes TSB 08-4-13 to update the Issue, Service Procedure and remove the production fix date.
    ISSUE
    Some 2007-2008 Expedition vehicles may exhibit a bump feeling while braking to a stop below 10 MPH (16 Km/h). This procedure will improve the bump felt while braking to a stop.

ACTION
    Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
    CAUTION APPLYING THIS PROCEDURE TO UNITS THAT DO NOT EXHIBIT THE COASTDOWN BUMP MAY RESULT IN WORSE SHIFT QUALITY.

NOTE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPLACE THE MECHATRONIC UNIT. MECHATRONIC REPAIR/REPLACEMENT IS NOT AUTHORIZED FOR THIS ISSUE.

1. Install Integrated Diagnostic System/Portable Diagnostic Software (IDS/PDS) or equivalent and ID the vehicle.

2. Update the Power Control Module/Transmission Control Module (PCM/TCM) calibration using IDS release 57.8 and higher or 58.1 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2008.9 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at the website. Since the TCM cannot be independently reprogrammed, reprogram the PCM to ensure that engine and transmission calibrations are updated to the latest level simultaneously.

a. Verify that the TCM shows 8L1P-7J104-AC (8L1P-7J104-BC for 2008 vehicles built after 12/3/2007) part number after reprogramming is complete.

b. Select the following from IDS, Tool Box, Powertrain, OBD Test Modes, Mode Level 9 Vehicle info, TCM Cal Part Number.

3. Clear TCM keep alive memory (KAM) and adaptive tables.

a. Using IDS:

(1) Open Toolbox.

(2) Choose Powertrain.

(3) Choose Reset KAM.

(4) Then Choose TCM.

b. Using PDS:

(1) Choose all Tests and Calibrations.

(2) Scroll down the menu and choose reset TCM KAM.

NOTE FOR PDS, RESET TCM KAM IS NOT THE SAME AS CLEAR TRANSMISSION ADAPTIVE TABLES, WHICH IS UNDER THE POWERTRAIN - TRANSMISSION MENU TREE.

NOTE UNHOOKING THE BATTERY WILL NOT CLEAR THE TCM KAM.

NOTE DO NOT CLEAR THE PCM KAM.

4. Verify that the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) PID is above 175 °F (80 °C). If it is not at 175 °F (80 °C), drive unit approximately 3 miles (5 Km) to reach temperature.

NOTE TFT MUST BE AT 175 °F (80 °C) OR ABOVE BEFORE PROCEEDING TO STEP 5.

5. Drive unit to perform adaptive shift strategy learn:

a. Accelerate from rest with light throttle to 15 MPH (24 Km/h), remove foot from accelerator pedal.

b. Brake very gently to a complete stop (allow at least six (6) seconds).

c. Repeat Steps (a-b) a total of five (5) times in the dealership parking lot or similar setting.

d. Accelerate from rest with light throttle ensuring that the 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 shifts occur at engine speeds between 1300-1800 RPM.

e. Continue to accelerate until you achieve 50 MPH (80 Km/h) or the 5-6 upshift.

f. Brake gently to a complete stop and hold foot on brake for at least 10 seconds.

g. Repeat steps (e-f) three (3) times.

NOTE THE HARSH BUMP FELT WHILE BRAKING TO A STOP WILL BE IMPROVED. HOWEVER, SEVERAL DAYS OF DRIVING ARE REQUIRED FOR THE TRANSMISSION TO FULLY ADAPT.

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

082207A 2007-2008 Expedition: 1.0 Hr.
    Check DTCs, Reprogram
    The PCM And TCM,
    Includes Time To Clear
    KAM And Perform Road
    Test. Authorization Decal
    Not Required (Do Not Use
    With 12650D)

DEALER CODING

CONDITION
    BASIC PART NO. CODE
    RECAL 04
  • bigsho1bigsho1 Member Posts: 1
    My ABS light keeps coming on in my 2004 ford expeditionxlt. It has been doing it for a while. I had the upper control arms and lower ball joints replaced in the front and it stopped for a while now it has started again. I've had some vibration in my brakes right as the ABS light comes on. Can anyone shed some light?
  • fsteilfsteil Member Posts: 3
    They will do a transmission update......I just had mine done and it is ok now.....I had found a how to do on the net and I took it in......It's covered on warranty...Hope this helps...
  • fsteilfsteil Member Posts: 3
    No big deal..they will do a transmission update and it will be fine..Just had mine done..Now ok
  • 150jb150jb Member Posts: 1
    IM WORKING ON A 2000 EXPERDITION PROBLEM PEDAL GOING TO FLOOR.
    I CHANGE THE MASTER 3X WITH NEW VALUES ON THE MASTER ,BLEED THE BRAKE SYSTEM AND ABS A NUMBER OF TIMES NO LEAKS AT WHEELS OR CALIPERS ANY SUGGESTION
  • jcostantinojcostantino Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 ford exp. el I have had the master cylinder repalced 3 times and still have brake peddel going to the floor I have to take it back to ford again.
    I think its a defect in the brake system
  • stretcherstretcher Member Posts: 1
    I have a 06 expedition with 75K miles. Recently it has started to jerk, or kind of lunge forward when the brakes are applied. It does this continually while the brakes are applied. Wondering if this is the transmission issue that I have been reading about on here or something to do with the brakes?
  • natedawg41_99natedawg41_99 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 07 Expedition EL with 74K and it is doing the lunging thing sometimes. I don't know if it's brakes or trans. I can be applying the brakes and put the truck into neutral while it is doing the lunging and it doesn't change. I would assume that if the truck isn't in drive then it wouldn't be the trans. The truck isn't under warranty anymore or I'd take it to the dealer. Do you have any suggestions?
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    What do you mean by "doing the lunging thing sometimes"? That isn't really a description of anything. Do you mean while slowing down you feel pulsation? If that is the case it is likely warped rotors.Have you ever had the brakes done? Rotors?
  • natedawg41_99natedawg41_99 Member Posts: 2
    In the message board, "while braking to a stop the vehicle has a lunge to it" with steady rpms and with steady braking. It's not a vibration from rotors, those would do it all the time in the same conditions, this feels like someone is pumping the brakes only you don't feel it in the pedal. This truck only does it after it seems to warm up, or been driven several miles which kinda points me in the direction of a transmission problem more than an ABS problem. But this is why I tried braking with the vehicle in neutral and the problem continued. I'm thinking I have a ABS problem now and I'm just trying to figure out if this is a brake shop issue or a transmission shop issue.
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    Have you ever done the rotors? At 74k you have got to be near their end of life, even if they have been turned before. The pulsing from rotors is not consistent over time because the wheels wind up in differentorientations to each other over tiem. A little slippage here or there, a larger number of turns one way or the other. It also would vary with applied pressure and the speed your are decelerating from. Try a hard stop from a high speed. Does the wheel start to shake and the pulsing get strong?