Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007+ Toyota Camry Seats

2»

Comments

• djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi All:

I improved my seat comfort in my 2007 V6 XLE Camry. ------- I purchased two pieces of 2" foam, (cut to fit the size of the base of the front bucket seats), and I covered them with gray toweling. I now sit on these cushions, and it makes the seat vey comfortable on long drives. ------ Something that you might want to consider. ------- Best regards! ------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • skyfan1skyfan1 Member Posts: 37
    What is gray toweling and where do you get it? Thanks!
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi Skyfan1:
    I just went to a "Bath Store" and purchased two large bath towels that matched the interior of the car. I folded the towel around the foam, and made it into cushion. It works! ----------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • gord0ngord0n Member Posts: 2
    Rocky74, did you resolve your upper-thigh bone pain in your Camry? I experience identical symptoms in my 2010 Camry: right upper thigh pain as well as a sense of imbalance--like my right side is not as well supported as my left.

Thank you for any advice on strategies to remedy this.
  • rocky74rocky74 Member Posts: 15
    edited October 2011
    What I did was buy a 2 or 3 inch thick soft square seat cushion like for an indoor chair (only $4.95 in a sale bin at Sears in their house goods dept.), and place that on the driver's seat. It has a pillowy feel to it and takes care of the pressure point under my right thigh, making the seat a little easier to bear. This cushion works better than the 4 or 5 more expensive ones that I bought at various automotive supply and Better Back stores. It's softer than the cushions that are sold to go over car seats. You really have to experiment with what works for you... too hard and it's not helpful, too soft it squishes too easily, too buoyant you could bounce around too much while driving, which could cause other problems. The seat back could be a little softer, also, and sometimes I put something in back of me. That helps the overall feel.

Even with the pillow, I'm still not 100% crazy about the seat, but I'm hesitant to have it taken apart and rebuilt because I know from experience with other cars that that doesn't always come out right. When my Pontiac seat had to be rebuilt, it took 3 or 4 tries, and I was in agony before they got the right foam and feel.

Another important thing is to be conscious of the fact that Camry seats are made to sit in firmly like on a chair, rather than the way I learned to sit in my cushier former cars. Sit up straight, legs in front of you, like you're at a desk, and that helps.

The other major thing that I did to improve the ride is reduce my commute to work from 15 miles to 6. It's easier to stand the Camry for 10 minutes at a time as opposed to 25. For longer rides, I still have my '97 Pontiac Bonneville that, thank goodness, I didn't trade in. Hope that helps.
  • andie4andie4 Member Posts: 12
    I had a huge problem with my tail bone and car seat. I have an '08 Camry Hybrid with leather seats. I always felt like there was something in the seat that didn't belong there! The dealer didn't care/couldn't see or feel anything and even said they took apart the seat but I didn't believe that. I took my car to an auto upholstery business in town that has a great reputation and has been in business for 30+ years. The guys took apart the seat and removed 2 metal rods that ran the length of the seat,(the part we sit on, not the back). The rods were like thick wire coat hangers and, according to my upholsterer, were there to somehow make the leather fabric look good but really didn't need to be in the seat. Ta da! No more pain and the cost was small compared to the discomfort. I have to say that, other than easily cleaning the seats, the leather from Toyota isn't worth much and the seats aren't as soft as the test drive car. Still getting great gas mileage!
  • gord0ngord0n Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the information. I am a bit disappointed that it appears from your reply and many others that the solution is mine to find, not the manufacturer's. I assumed that a new Camry would have comfortable seats based on my experience with a 2000 model that has very comfy front seats. Something changed between 2000 and 2010 in their seat design or fabrication.

I commute 130 miles often, so comfort is important. So, I'll look into an add-on cushion. That seems to be the best option short of re-upholstering, which as you note, is not a sure thing.
  • greggiegreggie Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2008 Toyota Camry SE with the 2.4 engine and auto trans. If I'm stopped and in drive the engine feels as if it's going to stall, the entire car "shutters". The tach reads between 700 & 800 but if I place the gear selector into either neutral or park it becomes "glass" smooth, I even have to look at the tach to see if the engine is still running! In neutral or park the tach still reads 700-800 rpm and the A/C is always switched off.
    I've had it to 2 different Toyota dealers and yesterday to my regular mechanic. 1st dealer said to disconnect the battery and bring everything back to default positions...no difference, battery was off for 35 minutes. 2nd dealer said to have the throttle body cleaned, which I did...no difference. A bit of background with the vehicle, I've had it since new, I drive 170 hiway miles per day, I use Shell branded fuel, oil changes always at 5,000 miles, dealer serviced since new.
    So yeaterday my mechanic checked everything, engine mounts (OK), any error codes (none) cylinder compression (all within spec) spark plugs (OK except for 1 so I asked hime to change them all), he installed 4 NGK iridium plugs and guess what...it still shutters & vibrates!!
    Anyone out the have any suggestions?
    I also spent $ online finding a cushion I thought would solve the seat issue. It did not...best bet, an auto upholstery shop that knows what they are doing. The rods running the length of the seat are the problem. Once removed, the leather seat was more comfortable but not as soft and comfortable as the test drive car. The rods were like very thick coat hanger wire...not something you want to be sitting on for any commute whether 3 or 130 miles :/
  • rocky74rocky74 Member Posts: 15
    Once the rods are removed, does the seat still have support? I have cloth seats. Wonder if the same rods are there. I may still take this car to an upholstery shop. I've had it almost 3 years, and it still hurts to drive it. Only thing I'm worried about is that they'll make it worse. Last 2 cars I took to an upholstery shop, I ended up with a multi-visit ordeal. Glad you solved your problem. I'm wondering why your car is different from the car you test drove.
  • jennanc07jennanc07 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. Have you had the oil line that has a known defect in it replaced yet? I had mine replaced in Sept 2010 and on Thanksgiving day, the line blew and leaked out all the oil in my engine. I spent 4 hours at the dealership the following day. This may not be related to that, but I would have the dealership check this oil line again. I had no clue that my car was leaking oil until the engine started making noise. I didn't see any loss of torque until it was too late. Luckily I didn't go out of town this year, which is what I normally do. Have a look at this site: http://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/ and have your dealership check this line again (or for the first time if it has never been replaced).
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Note that this is for the V6 engine only.
  • skyfan1skyfan1 Member Posts: 37
    I purchased a Hotel brand Classic memory foam pillow, which I sit on. It does not look fabulous, but it sure feels comfortable. Cost about $20.
  • rogsmith34rogsmith34 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought this car 3 weeks ago. I am spoiled by my '04 XLE with auto climate control. Can I switch out the manual panel in my SE for the Toyota auto panel ('07-11)? Do the panels have the same wiring harness?
    Thanks
  • ctkingctking Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know of a good upholster in the Richmond VA area? I have had a 2012 for 3 weeks and am now in physical thereapy. I have a max drive time of 10min without pain. The test drive was fine but once I was in it an hour I was in agony. The dealer basically told me you drove it off the lot - its yours.
  • red426red426 Member Posts: 2
    I have the exact same problem with a Toyota certified vehicle. I took it to the shop three times. First time the mechanic did observe the problem and note it. The second time they stated it ran normal, like a "good Camry". The third trip was because my one year warranty was about to end and the vehicle stalled on me twice. Once again, they plugged in the little computer and no errors showed. I returned home with a car that HAS to be put in neutral at every light. Thank you for your post. I now know I am not losing my mind. I have owned several toyotas in the past 20 years and never had one run like this. I want to pursue this with headquarters, but I need more cases. Have you contacted anyone or was your problem ever resolved?
  • greggiegreggie Member Posts: 3
    I ended up selling my Camry as Toyota admitted to have "over torqued" the cylinder head bolts. It occours in up to 10 engines per 1,000 produced according to my toyota dealer. It was going to be a $5,500.00 fix so I sold it and went back to VW and purchased the new Passat TDI diesel, truely a wonderful hiway cruiser. Toyota would not help out in any repair costs as I wasn't the original owner...but it was still under warranty...just not for this problem. We are done with Toyota.
  • dpennerdpenner Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2007 camry se with leathers and am finding the seat very hard, before i had a 2002 camry le with cloth seats and never thought about the seat,very comfotable,now what to do,i wish they knew how to make proper soft seats, my 07 camry is for sale,if it dont sell i ges il just use a pillow,does any one have a better solution
  • bostonredsock5bostonredsock5 Member Posts: 1
    Some of you are saying you feel a "rod" in your seat. In the new Camry seats there are four rods holding the cushion cover to the foam. They are SUPPOSED to be, whats called hog ringed into the foam, making the rod pull into the groves in the foam. If some one missed one of the designated points for this ring, it will leave the wire sticking up enough to feel it. I work for the company that builds the seats so I know the in's and out's of all your seats. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
    The rods are exactly what the problem was in my 2009 Camry Hybrid leather seats...I had to take the car to an upholstery shop to find out. Once the rods were removed, the problem was solved. Toyota and the dealership didn't recognize the problem so I had to pay for the changes.
    Anyone have problems with the driver's side sun visor? Mine fell apart and once again Toyota didn't see it as their problem so I paid an independent mechanic to replace the part. He fixed the problem for much less than the dealer would have charged, of course.