Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buying a Used Freestyle

realgem63realgem63 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Ford
My parents are looking to get rid of their Grand Caravan and get something a little smaller.It will be for my mom mostly.I found a 2005 Freestyle SEL near me.It has 26,187 miles and is fully loaded.It is also AWD.I am familiar with Ford trucks(I'm on #7),but not to familiar with the other models.It seemed like a really nice buy.I didn't drive it yet.I read some of your posts about the brakes.Was there a recall?The dealer also is offering a warranty with it.It covers the drivetrain for as long as they would own it,as long as they get it serviced regularly at the dealer.They are asking $16,981 for it.My dad is looking at Jeep Grand Cherokees.I own a 1996 grand Cherokee.It's ok but the mpg isn't the greatest.I'm going to push for the Ford,but would like some opinions to show them.Thanks so much!

Comments

• coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    I have an '05 Freestyle SE front wheel drive model with 48,000 miles. There was a brake pad recall. Note it was only the brake pads. It was easily fixed by replacing the front and back brake pads when on axle's pads went down below 1/8 inch. The new pads work fine and last well. Ford pays for everything, and your Ford dealer has the details, or you can go to http://www.google.com and type in the words ford freestyle brake recall .

You said they wanted something smaller. An '03 Grand Caravan is 200 inches long and 78 inches wide. A Freestyle is 199 inches long and 75 inches wide, so its not much smaller. I think the newer (than '03) Grand Caravans grew out a little, but they are still close to a Freestyle. I don't know what model year yours is.

The Freestyle is a great choice. Visit a local library and look at the Consumer Reports annual auto issue, or see the Consumer Reports annual auto book to see the reliability ratings. They are OK for the Freestyle, and I've had no trouble with mine to speak of. The AWD Freestyle gets about 1 to 2 MPG less than my front wheel drive version, and I get between 20 and 28 MPG depending on how hard I drive (stop-n-go driving vs. highway cruising). The '09 Ford Escape is a smaller vehicle, and has been improved, or maybe consider the '07 Suzuki XL7, or Toyota Rav4 for smaller vehicles. Many choices.
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    Another thing about the Ford Freestyle compared to a Grand Caravan is that the Freestyle does better in crash tests at http://www.iihs.org and also http://www.nhtsa.gov . The handling and steering is generally considered to be better in the Freestyle as well.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    My '05 Freestyle FWD is nearing 70,000 miles. I too had the rear brakes replaced for free and I'm still on the original front brakes. The only problem I've had was a transmission control module replaced under warranty. I think it's a great car. We just drove round trip to Chicago and got 25 MPG, but that included Chicago city driving as well as about 300 miles of highway. It's really not much smaller than a Caravan (same length, just a little less wide), so it's not much of a downsize.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    My '05 Freestyle FWD is nearing 70,000 miles. I too had the rear brakes replaced for free and I'm still on the original front brakes. The only problem I've had was a transmission control module replaced under warranty. I think it's a great car. We just drove round trip to Chicago and got 25 MPG, but that included Chicago city driving as well as about 300 miles of highway. It's really not much smaller than a Caravan (same length, just a little less wide), so it's not much of a downsize.
This discussion has been closed.