Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Tires and Wheels

douglascdouglasc Member Posts: 3
edited September 2014 in Hyundai
My 2006 Sonata LX has Michelin 225/50x17 tires that give it a noisey and hard ride. 2007s have Michelin 215/55x17 tires. Would changing to that size or another brand improve these?

Comments

• vabearvabear Member Posts: 18
    Nope, I have a 2007 limited with the 215-55/17 and they are firm. These are low profile tires with short sidewalls and you should expect a firmer ride.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    The sidewall height on your 215-55/17 tires is probably about the same as it would be for a 225-50/17 tire. (Would have to do the math.) Someone posted a while back the calculation for determining the sidewall height based upon its % of the tire's width.

If available, a 225-55/17, and if it fits, would give a slightly softer ride.
  • macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    Here is a link to check out dimensions of replacement tires of a different size, aspect ratio, etc that you may be interested in. To maintain correct speedo readings, you should pick a tire height very close to original tire height. Be also aware that a shorter tire would mean that the tire would have to do more revolutions to cover the same distance(i.e. engine works more) as original tires, and speedo would read faster than actual speed.

When that time comes, I will likely buy replacement size 235-50/17. Sidewall height should be same as present 215-55/17 with about 1" wider foot print for a similar ride. The 225-50/17 has a shorter sidewall height resulting in a slightly harsher ride. Those who choose 45 or 40 aspect ratio tires must love punishing buck horse rides.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos
  • sundazedsundazed Member Posts: 15
    When replacing original tires, is it necessary to choose a tire of at least the speed rating of the tire being replaced? Also, what kind of mileage are members getting from the Michelin energy mxv4 s8 215/60/16R 94v tires that came with their 2006 Sonata GLs? I have gotten 37000 miles (highway and city) and the tread is down to about 4/32". Doesn't seem like much for that expensive of a tire.
  • sundazedsundazed Member Posts: 15
    When replacing original tires, is it necessary to choose a tire of at least the speed rating of the tire being replaced? Also, what kind of mileage are members getting from the Michelin energy mxv4 s8 215/60/16R 94v tires that came with their 2006 Sonata GLs? I have gotten 37000 miles (highway and city) and the tread is down to about 4/32". Doesn't seem like much for that expensive of a tire. I am a pretty conservative driver.
    Should be at least the same speed rating or higher for safety and performance factors.

The referenced tire is V speed rated(remember the speedster that was clocked at 147mph in AZ?)and is good for the max speed of the car. The Sonata V6 has a measured top speed of 137mph by C & D. Tires of lower speed rating may overheat at higher than rated speeds and rupture.

Yes most folks don't do those speeds but there is always the very few that like some excitement. Many domestic cars are speed limited to about 110mph to use cheaper, lower speed rated tires. I am glad that my 2007 Sonata Limited does not have that limitation.

37K miles and more is great for V speed rated tires. Many/all higher speed rated (eg Z) last maybe only 15K due to their softer rubber that provides better traction.
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    I'll throw my 2 cents in here. When my Michelins wear out I probably will not go to the "V" rated tire. I don't plan on driving mine that fast again.
    It is not only higher speed capability/rating that comes with V and higher rated tires. The tire rubber compound are softer for better traction and cornering for superior handling.
  • dano13dano13 Member Posts: 15
    Here is my 2 cents also, the 215-60 16 Michelins on my 2006 Sonata are shot with 25,000 miles on them, never liked them from day one they pick up nails and other hwy trash like no other tire i have owned, also the ride and handeling fade after about 6,000 miles feal like driving on ballons.Drove from Florida to californa 9000 miles and wanted to see how fast i could get it up to in the desert but at 120 mph the tires did not feal safe at that speed so i backed down ,ill be getting new tires soon but will go with an H rated tire and no more Michelins for me way over priced for my money .Will do some research @ Tire rack .com before i buy.
  • dano13dano13 Member Posts: 15
    Here is my 2 cents also, the 215-60 16 Michelins on my 2006 Sonata are shot with 25,000 miles on them, never liked them from day one they pick up nails and other hwy trash like no other tire i have owned, also the ride and handeling fade after about 6,000 miles feal like driving on ballons.Drove from Florida to californa 9000 miles and wanted to see how fast i could get it up to in the desert but at 120 mph the tires did not feal safe at that speed so i backed down ,ill be getting new tires soon but will go with an H rated tire and no more Michelins for me way over priced for my money .Will do some research @ Tire rack .com before i buy.
  • enricongenricong Member Posts: 7
    I've had my 2006 sonata GL for about 2.5 years and have 31000mi. This winter has been especially bad, sliding around alot. My front tires are at 4/32 and my rear are at 3/32. I usually drive around 70mph, I've never gone above 90mph. They recc. V or H rated tires, but those are usually only about 40k, 50k tires. Since I don't drive too fast, I'd rather get tires that are 60k or more. Those are rated S or T. If I will never go about 90mph is there any reason for me to NOT get the S or T tires? Thanks, I'd appretiate any advice
  • davetechdavetech Member Posts: 2
    I am needing to replace my original Michelin 225/50-17V tires after 39K miles and trying to find the best option. For price and 60K mileage rating, I am considering the Kumho Solus KH16 tire. Has anybody had experience with this tire or any other alternative brand? Thanks.
  • wanna_azzywanna_azzy Member Posts: 41
    You might want to check out the Hyundai forum at www.hyundai-forums.com and look at the discussions for the NF Sonata. Several posters have commented on different tire options that have worked (or not worked) for them.
  • dump_truckdump_truck Member Posts: 42
    anyone else care to chime in on tire suggestions? Anyone with experience with either of the following models?

http://www.maxxistires.com/AutomobileLight-Truck/High-Performance/MA-Z4S-Victra.- aspx

http://www.falkentire.com/Tires/ZE-912-2
  • ergsumergsum Member Posts: 146
    I'm running with stock size (17" rims) Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position. Quiet for a high performance tire. No harshness and tons of grip in warm weather with some loss as temps drop below low 40's. Check reviews on Tirerack.com.
  • dump_truckdump_truck Member Posts: 42
    thanks for the suggestion. probably is a nice tire, but for $180/per it should be. Just can't swing that on my budget at the moment. Those are twice the amount of the tires I mentioned. I don't want the cheapest things on the road(safety is important), but almost $200 a tire seems a bit much. Lot of people seem to like the kuhmo ecsta lx platinums, but it rains a lot in pa and wet traction is one of their weaknesses.
  • ergsumergsum Member Posts: 146
    The Continental ExtremeContact DWS look interesting. Not much data or reviews available yet. I had ContiExtremeContacts on my previous vehicle and they also handle exceedingly well on dry, wet and Michigan snow (better snow performance than my current Bridgestones). However they were slightly noisier.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    Hers's my 2 cents. I have a 2006 Sonata LX V6 with the 225/50r17 MIchelin MXV4 tires and it's time to replace them after 60k miles(still have about 3-4/32nd left). I got really good life out these Michelins and considered going back to them, but can't seem to get over how much they cost. Do I stay with the Michelins or go with something of almost same quailty? Suggestions anyone?
  • blondo36blondo36 Member Posts: 4
    I'm curious if anyone has replaced the factory Hancook tires with snow tires for winter driving? This car does horrible in the snow and I need help!!!!! If so, what brand did you choose? Did you get a extra set of special rims for the air pressure so it would be cheaper to change the tires? SO MANY QUESTIONS!!!!!!!
  • pbasspbass Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2010
    I suggest getting a seperate set of rims for winter if you get a lot of snow. Where I live they use salt to melt icy roads so alloy rims corrode easily. I bought a set of TOYO winter tires which were excellent last winter, mounted on plain black steel wheels.
  • gius3ppegius3ppe Member Posts: 1
    holy crap i was just thinking the same thing.. sonata limited with stock tires and how god awful they are in the snow.

did you ever find a suitable snow tire? am i going to have to shell out $150 a tire or is there something decent for less? I was trying to make a left at a light last night and i was so stuck it took 3 light cycles for me to move my car. Those hancooks suck in the snow.

It seems the sonata's rims on the limited love to gather snow and hang on to it. It really sticks well to the wheel-wells too which is bad for business.

Thanks, and good luck this winter!
    I ended up getting Firestone Blizzak WS70. It has only snowed once so far for me but I have to say, at the bottom of the hill, those weren't MY tire tracks sliding all over:):) One of the pains is every time I change them over, I have to get the low tire pressure system reset. I am trying to figure out if rims are the answer because changing them out is going to get expensive. BUT, if i don't pay around $200 for the new rims to have the sensor for the low tires, I won't have that feature. So, I have to decide if a second set of rims is the answer because then I could change them out myself. But I don't look forward to the TPMS light being on all the time BUT if this makes this car actually able to get around in the snow, I think whatever it takes, besides trading it in, is the way to go. I hope this helps you out. By the way, when I told the dealership about how horrible the tires are in the snow, the response I got was, "Wow, you're the first person I've heard say there's a problem." Thanks for siding with me so I know its not my driving:)
    Hey I forgot to mention that I paid $108.99 a piece for the Blizzak tire. Good luck!
  • gmcphattergmcphatter Member Posts: 1
    I actually bought my 2009 Sonata Limited 3.3 V6 used and it had a set of Hankook tires on it; 2 Ventus H101 215/55/ZR17's in the front and 2 Optimo H418 215/55/R17's in the back. They weren't worn that bad, but I'm a pretty aggressive driver; I also have a 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track, so I wanted to diminish the difference between driving the two so I upgraded to a set of Hankook Ventus V12 EVO 245/45/ZR17's. I LOVE THEM! I live in Los Angeles, California so I haven't experienced driving them in the snow, but in the colder temperatures and rain they hold fine. I also "upgraded" to the chrome Azera wheels because they are the same size as the Sonata chrome wheels but are more stylish in my opinion.
  • jsun2399jsun2399 Member Posts: 2
    If you have a Pep Boys in your area, consider Hankook Optimo H727. If no Pep Boys, ck for the nearest dealer on their website. Very good tires, company has a rebate and priced around $90/tire. Excellent reviews from Consumer Reports. I have a set on my 04 Accord V6 and they are remarkable tires. Good luck.
  • tupacdtupacd Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

Sorry if this is a repeat thread. I bought a brand new 2010 Sonata in April 2010. So far I only have 2500 miles on it. The problems I am having are:

1. When I apply the brakes, there is some vibrating sounds coming... Has anybody had similar issues...

2. The passenger side front tire does not hold air more than 25-26 psi.. If I raise it to 34 or even 32 psi, it drops down to 26 psi within a week and then stops leaking... Has anybody experienced this strange issue...

I am taking the car to the dealer on Friday April 15 2011...

Can somebody let me know if this is covered under warranty...

Thanks
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Is it possible there was front rim/suspension damage, e.g. hitting a pothole? That could explain both the vibration and the problem with the tire.

The tires have a limited warranty, but brakes etc. are covered if defective. However, if the problem is due to "misuse" including an accident of some kind, it would not be covered.

Best to take it in to the dealer before its 1-year anniversary, as there is a one-year/12k mile adjustment period where just about everything is covered.
    Thanks for the reply. I don't think I have gone over any big potholes - I mostly drive within city....

Yes I will be taking the car just 3 days before 1 year anniv. (not a good sign if you ask me).... So any particular reason why I should take it before 1 year anniv....

Thanks
    2pac
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    As I said, there is a one-year/12k mile adjustment period where just about everything is covered.

Be sure the problem is documented on the service order, so if it is not fixed the first time it can still be fixed under the 1-year adjustment period (if that applies here).

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.