Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Tucson Engine Blown out

fatjackfatjack Member Posts: 8
edited September 2014 in Hyundai
I have bought new Hyundai 7 months ago and it now has about 9,000 Miles (14,000KM). It is not time for first check up. I was in Germany driving on the highway for about 3 hours and the engine suddenly locked up. I glided into the side road. No assistance was available on weekends from Hyundai. The engine was steeming and I saw there was no oil in the engine. My wife got through to someone at Hyundai and they where talking and she said she might have seen the oil light flash on.
The dealer says that it is within norm to use all oil up, that as my wife saw the warning light flash once a week before that I did not fullfill the normal warranty maintenace conditions. He referred me to the manual and it states that everytime you fill up with gas you are obliged to check the oil. My questions is if a warning light only flashes one time and you happen to be reversing looking backwards when it flash - how is that effective or adequate warning of a problem? If there is serious a problem with oil level or presure why would not the indicator appear a few hours before? Has anyone else experienced a similar problem or tried actually to get a Hyundia dealer to honor the Warranty? Do other new Hyundai Tuscon actually require so much oil?
Am I the only one who does not check the oil frequently enough?
How come I never blew out another cars engine?

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I think it is reasonable to expect fair warning if your engine's oil level is low. Did you have any other indications that you were in trouble such as the engine temperature gauge?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • fatjackfatjack Member Posts: 8
    hope nothing driving 3 hours with no warning lights or anything? But they say my fault because my wife says she saw something blink then off the week before.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    But they say my fault because my wife says she saw something blink then off the week before.

Tell them you misunderstood her and she saw nothing.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    for a basically brand new Hyundai Tucson, at only 9,000 miles, the SUV should not be burning up all it's crankcase oil. It might have experienced a leak through seals or a bad gasket that, by all rights, should be Hyundai's responsibility to replace the engine for you under the Long-Haul Warranty.

I agree, the light appearing that your wife saw is evidence of a problem, a problem that shouldn't be there but it was.

If they want to stick to their story about your wife seeing the light come on and you guys not doing anything, then I think they should at least meet you guys halfway in engine replacement costs. Something's rotten in Germany.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• strakerstraker Member Posts: 8
    Had my Tucson for a little over a year and half and began to experience water in my engine and then oil in the radiator. Turns out my head gasket had blown or at least so I thought. Then the Tucson dealers realized it was a cracked cylinder. For a vehicle this new I should not be having these problems.

Anyone else has any issues such as this?
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    Aren't you covered with the warranty????
    Warranty only for 12 months. They are trying to source the replacement part but it's taking them a while. My thing is, it's a manufacturer problem and I wanted to know if anyone has had that sort of problem before with their Tucson.
    If your vehicle is only a year and a half old....why does it only have a 12 month warranty. Isn't it covered with a 3 year, 36000 mile OEM warranty?????
  • bwaller78bwaller78 Member Posts: 23
    Hi there, actually hyundai has 5yr 60,000 mile new car warrantry with 100,000 power train, but in either case should be under warranty unless the car was driven alot since buying. I would be fighting tooth and nail to have that repair covered under warranty, if they try to have me pay for such repairs. :mad:
    Actually you guys have it better than us. Where I'm at that's what they give us, 1 year or 12,000 miles.

We haven't discusssed anything on who is going to pay as yet but I'm certainly not planning to pay for the entire cost.

It's taking them far too long to repair it though.
  • fatjackfatjack Member Posts: 8
    what i find interesting/frustrating is that these engine faults should be under warranty so why are the dealers trying to back out of the warranty with excuses. Either the dealers are incompetent OR Hyundai in Korea has set up a system whereby the dealers are rewarded for not honoring the warranty. I would like to find a contact at Hyundai corporate and find out if it is my dealer nonsense or the Hyundai that makes it difficult or discourages the dealer for honoring the warranties. I imagine there must be some place or legal recourse when companies fail to honor warranties.
    1. Does anyone know where how to complain to the main Korean Hyundai?

In my case after much fussing and over a month of repair time the dealer will fix the engine free, but not re-reimburse for the towing, taxi replacement car rental, monthly lease payment. So they will stiff me out of around 800USD. Which in reality if i want to fight in court it is not worth it becuase who knows what would happen, i generaly do not want any more hassle, but i think it is rude and they acted in bad faith and did not keep ther word about the warranty.
    That's something I never thought about doing...there is an avenue I should look into.

What type of problems did u have with your Hyundai and was it a Tucson?
    Hello, I just repalced my battery today on my 2006 tucson, I have only had it since june of last yr and I live in the desert so I know the summer heat really wears on batteries, and I have some extra stero eguipment installed but Thats a little too soon to replace the battery do you think? The battery died on me twice on the same day and again when I went to have it tested, so I just repalced. Have any of the tucson owners out there replaced your battery yet? I know that have had an issue with the stereo drawing too much current while off thus draining the battery, but I have installee aftermarket stereo. The batteryt died in just 20 seconds in the on position, just long enough to roll the windows up. :surprise:
    Did you have the dealer replace it under warranty??? and if so, did you have them check evrything out for you with their scanner???
    no I did not have hyundai replace under warranty because I have aftermarket stereo equipment and figured they would deny the claim because of it so I put in a duralast 48-dl from autozone that has 875 cca, since stock equipment is not the best quality anyway figured its better than the stock battery that was in it, the battery I have now has a 120 amp reserve capacity not sure what the reserve capcity of the stock was, I dont even know what brand it was, just has english and korean writing on it.
  • dino1961dino1961 Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: I HAVE HAD MY TUCSON NEW SINCE 06 AND HAVE 16000 MILES ON IT. IT HAS HAD 3 BLOWN ENGINES,2 STARTERS,1TRANI,1 FUEL O2 SENSOR AND HAS HAD SERVICE ON IT 11 TIMES. I CALLED HYUNDAI AND THEY SAY IT IS THE DEALER PROBLEM AND THE DEALER SAYS IT IS A HYUNDAI DEFECT ISSUE. I LIVE IN CASPER WYOMING AND AM ABOUT TO GET A LAWYER IF MY MEETING TODAY AT THE DEALER DOESN'T GO MY WAY. I AM DISABLED AND I GOT THE 3RD ENGINE REPLACED AND LEFT THE SHOP GOT HOME AND THE STARTER DIED.THEY SAID IT WAS THE BATTERY AND REPLACED IT. AGAIN I GET HOME AND IT DIED. NOW THE STARTER WAS REPLACED AND 1 WEEK OF NO CAR TO GET THE PART IN. I GET IT OUT AND DRIVE 20 MILES AND AGAIN IT DIES AND #2 STARTER.NOW IM GOING TO SEE IF THEY WILL BUY IT BACK AND GIVE ME A DEAL ON A DODGE TRUCK THEY HAVE. IF NOT I HOPE I HAVE LEGAL ACTION?ISN'T THERE A LEMON LAW?
  • cjancjan Member Posts: 1
    I ALSO OWN A 2006 HYUNDAI TUSCON WITH 12000 MILES. I HAD AN OIL CHANGE DONE ON THE CAR AND 1200 MILES LATER I HAD TO HAVE THE CAR TOWED TO A DEALERSHIP DUE TO A LOUD TICKING NOISE AND THE DEALER TOLD ME THE VEHICLE WAS LOW ON OIL BUT IT HAS NO LEAKS AND NO ONE KNOWS WHERE THE OIL WENT. I HAVE HAD THE CAR BACK IN THE SHOP SEVERAL TIMES SINCE THIS INCIDENT DUE TO THE TICKING NOISE AND THE SLUGGISH ENGINE. THE AREA REP REFUSES TO PUT A NEW ENGINE IN IT AND I AM NOW GIVING SERIOUS THOUGHT TO HIRING A LAWYER. I HAVE SPOKE WITH HYUNDAI MOTOR CORP SEVERAL TIMES AND NO ONE WANTS TO HELP. I FIND IT VERY HUMOROUS THAT HYUNDAI RAVES ABOUT THERE WARRANTY AND THEY DON'T HONOR IT. IF ANY ONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS I'D LOVE TO HEAR THEM
  • greatcarsgreatcars Member Posts: 66
    I have 2005 Tucson and had only a little more than 10000 miles. Last month I had a little problem in satarting the car. It took more than 5 seconds to start but never failed to start and the warning lights on the display are dark during start. That was after about of week of idle and nobody drove it. To me it appeared to be battery leaking but I am not sure about that. Today the dealer said the battery needs to be replaced and since the warranty is only good for 2 years and it has to be proprated for the replacement. I chose to replace it myself. I don't think the batter should be bad this soon. If more people have battery problem that's a sign that their battery is not of good quality. Even you have stereo installed that should not exhaust the battery, let along twice a day. If the problem is only the battery that's OK and we can install a better one to last long.
  • greatcarsgreatcars Member Posts: 66
    So what's the best battery replacement for Tucson? This article has some helpful information on choosing battery. I never knew all the batteries were only made by three manufacturers.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/premium/consumerreports/silver.html?id=95700426
  • brit5brit5 Member Posts: 12
    I just read the original post by fatjack. If I correctly understand what he said, the vehicle was driven 9,000 mi without any inspection or service. This is approximately twice the recommended distance for service & certainly far past a safe distance for a periodic oil level check. It would not be at all unusual for an engine to consume sufficient oil in that distance to run the crankcase oil level below the safe minimum. I'm not surprised that Hyundai refused the warranty claim.
  • nessonesso Member Posts: 1
    Hello colleagues,

I am addressing to you because I have a serious problem with my car model Hyundai, but also with the company, which is the general dealer for Hyundai for Bulgaria. I want to inform you about the impossibility for my car been repaired, although still it is under warranty.
    Please for assistance, ideas and solutions, if anyone has similar problem, please contact me for comment.

Already five years I am customer of The company and I am paying lease fee for my car Hyundai Tucson and just before the guarantee expired, my engine was damaged.

Official Hyundai dealer for Bulgaria, Industrial Commerce Ltd. told me that I have to drive my car to their service as it is under warranty and they will repair it on their behalf.

I did it what they told me, and after they opened it realized that the problem is bigger then they expected, they start to seek way to deny the warranty. They base it on the following: I have twice surpassed the mileage of oil change and this is the reason for their refusal of the guarantee, before it has expired. Both cases, when I was overdue, I've been out of Bulgaria and I was inform their service and ask them where I can change oil abroad, in order not to run times out. I was assured from their dealer that this is not a problem and on his advice it is better to make the change in their service when I get back regardless the overdue.

Now, when found that the engine has serious damages, they do not want to repair the car, citing these two defaults. The dealer, now denied, and I have nothing as proof it. So, they are decline to repair the car under warranty as it is, and I must bear the cost of repairs.

So I ask you, my colleagues, whether it is possible to guarantee their license is valid after the two defaults, and do not refuse to take my money for their expensive maintenance services, but now, when I need to be repaired the defects arising in the warranty period, they refused me. They get so far that even threatened me that if I bring the case against them, they will bring a counter action for derogate from their reputation.

Is it possible to treat an accurate customer who five years has paid regularly like that and had correct relations with them? Is it proper to refuse to fair and regular paying customers, when they need to perform repairs? If you fell in a similar situation, please advice and help me to resolve the case.

N. Gocic
    nebojsa_gocic@mail.bg
    neboisa_gocic@yahoo.com
  • mikala1mikala1 Member Posts: 2
    My grandsons 2007 Tuscon blew the engine after only 37,000 miles. He had oil changes done but could not prove it. Hyundai would not do a thing because he did not keep his receipts. the car, other than replacing the battery, never had a problem. One day, the oil light came on, and a loud noise came from the engine, and a baseball size hole was in the engine-this is usuallly caused by a tie rod blowing, but hyundai decided that it was from the oil. The car had oil in it, no oil leak and was serviced. the repair bill is estimated at $5000.00. Has anyone else had this kind of problem with their Tuscon?? Hyundai did nothing to even try and resolve this matter and that says a lot about a company. Make sure that you keep all receipts, for oil, repair, etc. or you will void your warrenty. A REALLY great company--if you are thinking about buying a hyundai-I would think twice about it. And remember that if you don't have the timing chain changed at everry 60,000 miles, your engine will blow up-and you will have no warrenty.
  • mikala1mikala1 Member Posts: 2
    Its not just where you live-Hyundai has a problem with their engines, and will use any excuse not to replace it--keep fighting them, because I'm doing the same thing-if nothing else, maybe we can let people know about the Tuscons and Hyundais image--get the word out--DON'T BUY A HYUNDAI-YOU JUST MIGHT BLOW UP SOME DAY!!! Good luck-keep fighting. Also, do not let them fix the engine-I had my grandsons engine replaced with the timing chain for $1000.00 less than Hyundai wanted. They not only don't help you with the warranty, they rip you off financially too. Spreed the word and keep fighting
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    SO WHAT HAPPENED?
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    ..not unusual to get dangerously low after only 9K...I think I 'll take my chances with HONDA!
  • toodaringtoodaring Member Posts: 1
    I wrote a letter January 2011 in reference to my 2005 Hyundai Tuscon's engine blowing up and their response was "the warranty for the second/subsequent owner is no longer in effect!" Otherwise - "No can do!"

Attached below is a copy of the letter I sent via certified mail:

Hyundai Motor America
    P.O. Box 20850
    Fountain Valley, CA 92728-0850
    (800)633-5151, consumeraffairs@hmausa.com

Dear Hyundai Motor America:

On January XXXX, with excitement I bought a black 2005 Hyundai Tucson GL from Thompson Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge.

Prior to purchasing the vehicle which was posted on autotraders.com, I was very diligent in checking reviews from various auto sites (i.e. edmunds.com, JD Power ratings). I was pleased to hear the reviews were positive, more so by the owners rather than the consumer guides that were available on-line. Furthermore, Hyundai Motor America boasted about the Hyundai Tucson’s safety ratings and “transferrable” drive-train original owner warranty which covered 10 years or 100,000 miles; and second or subsequent owners to have power-train component coverage under the 5/60,000 new vehicle limited warranty. As a previous owner of a 2001 Saturn LS with 123,000 miles at trade in, I was confident that I was purchasing an outstanding “used” vehicle with a dealership/manufacturer, who publicly acknowledges they value “customer loyalty”.

Your vehicle performed exceptionally well during my past three years of ownership. Despite the fact that it was involved in two rear end collisions, a driver side impact collision and what is disputed as a questionable “comprehensive covered” braking into curb incident. With due respect, I had no knowledge of all of the safety recalls. Overall, I have been truly content with the vehicle and I like the feel/handling of it.

Presently and with great dismay, the Hyundai Tucson is off the road and unable to operate. On December 23, 2010 (Christmas Eve), the vehicle became disabled and had to be towed. It was towed to the nearest auto repair facility, National Budget Muffler. The vehicle had an estimated 39,900 miles at purchase and now has close to 74,000 miles. I was told by their auto mechanic that the problem was “that the engine had dropped into the oil pan” and that it may have been caused by maintenance neglect or a probable defected manufactured part (i.e. connecting rod). They wanted to charge $90 per hour to take apart the engine for an accurate answer and I declined due to finances. I have had the regular oil change maintenances done accordingly and not once did any of the dash board warning lights (i.e. oil change, check engine) come on, not even to show that I was low on oil. I was given a $2400 auto repair estimate, $1200 for the “used” engine and $1200 for labor.

I am a single parent who works a full time and a part time job. I support myself and my 19 y/o daughter who still lives at home. I pay her liability car insurance while she attends community college and is employed part time at minimum wage. I am devastated that I am in this situation…… I am paying car insurance and a $285/mo. car payment on a vehicle that is not working. I live pay check to pay check and with anguish will not have the funds to cover this repair bill.

I do not feel responsible for this circumstance. It has caused me much emotional and financial distress. Fortunately, my parents were able to lend me their vehicle in the hopes that I can have the Hyundai Tucson repaired in a reasonable amount of time, before they will need their vehicle back.

I would like to request your assistance in resolving this dilemma. I am seeking aid, perhaps issued as a credit or monetarily awarded. I would, thru compromise, consider making arrangements to have the vehicle towed to the nearest Harford/Baltimore County Hyundai dealer for “discounted” auto repair. Any option could be acceptable and would instill my confidence back into Hyundai Motor America. (*E.G. America’s Best Warranty does more than give you a peace of mind, it’s a commitment from Hyundai to maintain a high degree of quality, dependability and reliability.) Enclosed are copies of the repair estimate. I would be grateful for a possible explanation for this circumstance.
    Sincerely.
This discussion has been closed.