Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Noises and Sounds

jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Member Posts: 167
3.3L Limited FWD built 1/24/07 Alabama 2600 miles

When I start the engine for the first time after it sits overnight, I definitely hear a ZZIINNNGGG noise from the starter at the end of the cycle. When the engine throws the starter back out after it has turned over. It sounds like it is spinning.

If I re-start or start again later in the day, it sounds like a normal starter again, without the end noise. It seems to be getting louder as time goes by.

When I asked the Tech. about it, he said they all do it and it's nothing unusual.

Anyone else have this?

Comments

• jhorton6jhorton6 Member Posts: 7
    I am really hoping someone can help me out. I have a 2004 Santa Fe that I purchased used about 3 months ago. Just recently there has been a very annoying knocking noise coming from the passenger side of the dash. The noise happens more often if I hit a bump in the road but sometimes all I have to do is back up to hear it. I have now taken my car to the dealer 3 times and the noise keeps coming back the next day. They said they have removed the dash three times and all the plastic in around the wheel well the last time and tightened and adjusted the strut and strut mounts.
    The noise is definately coming from inside the vehicle in the dash.
    Has anyone else experienced anything similiar to this? Can anyone give me some directions as to how to get into the dash?
    The dealer has now basically told me that they have no idea as to why this keeps happening and I am now just going to have to live with it. I have a hard time believing this can't be fixed.

All help appreciated.
  • zillahzillah Member Posts: 7
    Wish I could help. I have an 01 SF and I have a similar knocking noise. Mine is not a continuous one. It happens during braking or turning and only gives out one "clunk" - been doing this for years. I have no idea what it is but it sounds more like the drivers side on mine.
  • esauveesauve Member Posts: 1
    I am experiencing a similar problem with my 2002, V6. Mine comes and goes, only happens when the accelerator is pressed and is a mystery to the dealership. Yesterday it was happening on my way home from work and I drove straight to the dealer. They put 3 techs in the car and drove it around the lot, listened to the noise and have no clue why it is occuring. If anyone out there knows I'd truly appreciate the assistance.
    I have my 04 at the dealer again yesterday and today. They are now saying that they think there is a problem with the windshield or the molding around it hold it in place. This is my fourth time being back. Hopefully the last. Will post an update when I get it back.
  • zillahzillah Member Posts: 7
    I'm wondering now if the noise has anything to do with the swaybar. When I took my Mazda in for service the mechanic asked me if I had been hearing clunking because the "swaybar was bushing." I have no idea what that means but I know my Santa Fe had it done when it was in for service too and my husband claims he's never heard the clunk (of course) since he's been driving it for the past couple of weeks. :confuse:
    Well, I finally got my Santa Fe back from the dealer. What they apparantly found was that part of the body under the window wasn't welded correctly causing two parts of the body to hit each other causing the knocking noise. It took them about a week to figure it out and fix it. Here's hoping the mystery is finally solved.
  • bbawtbbawt Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if "rubbing" and "creaking" noises in new Santa Fe's are common and fixable? My new 2007 SF makes noises like vinyl rubbing together on either side of the dashboard or where the dash meets the closed door. Also there is a vibrating rattle in the front part of the sunroof but I think its from loose sticky tape or glue between the interior roof and the sunroof frame. I'm hoping these types of irritants can be fixed. Anyone else have similar problems?
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Member Posts: 167
    I have a faint and short "vibrational rattle" from inside the dashboard somewhere, when driving over certain kinds of pavement, or at a certain speed around 45 or so - (don't have a sunroof )- it's hard to determine where it's from - doesn't happen all the time - with the engine so quiet, you tend to hear everything; the seat belts banging aginst the rear seats and the bumps in the road with the stiff suspension. Then, when I'm travelling at high speed 75-85 it's spooky quiet.
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    I get that vibration rattle behind/in driver side dashboard - it's faint and intermittent - used to think it was my keys but no - there's something there - the dealer said cannot find - i asked if it was some wierd electronic Hyundai stuff that's normal...
    My feeling is it's something resonating inside the dash - wiring,loose fixing, something like that. It's faint, but there, inside the dash somewhere.
    I live in Phoenix which has been really hot (106-110) - do you happen to live in a hot climate too? maybe it's due to expansion and contraction.

Interstingly, due to my suspension problem recently, the tech found out all my wheels were out of alignment. He rotated all the wheels and re-aligned them to spec. I swear the vibration disappeared for a while, then came back intermittently, after everything had settled down.

The vibration seems to be caused by a certain road surface/speed combination that just makes the sound audible when the climate control fan runs slow - I've eliminated other causes (loose vents, radio, cd console, storage compartmnet,loose items anywhere). I can live with it , assuming it's not a problem down the road.
    if it is not some relay clicking from some esc control or something - i think something back behind that dashboard is something loose - i wanted to check the screen in front of the gauges - kind of hard to do when it's intermittent and your driving...
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    intermittent noises and problems...the bane of car today's ownership! :shades: Hell, there used to be a time when we did not care about the noises unless they drowned out the radio! ;)
    "throwing a code"...also has become a fact of life!

Just give me a 327, Hurst shift kit, 2 -4 barrel hollys and a reverb for the radio...I has happy then...guess I just gave away my age huh......I think Gas was about 23 cents a gallon too!

The were no seat belts to hit against the car sides either......BTW: also miss the sweetness of glass packs and superchargers :)
    i think i'll put glass packs on the santa fe after the warranty is up! (if my wife approves) my 100k mi warranty will probably be up in less than 3yrs!
  • lv2drvlv2drv Member Posts: 132
    Yikes! My husband bought an old Dodge that had glass packs. He got rid of it ;) !
  • pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
    My Santa Fe does not do it. First generation 07 Limited. I just bought my wife a second generation 07 Limited and it does in fact make that noise. Not worried about it tho. Seems to function properly.
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    Mine doesn't do it; it's a late-build (May, 2007) Limited. Pelican 19, what do you mean by "first generation" and "second generation"?
    Early 07 Santa's ( Made in late 06 )had some issues like the map light problem, front hub slipping, door fabric coming loose due to the lack of adheasive, no xm radio. This early 07 model ( mine ) had all these issues. The 07 I bought my wife was made in early 07. It does not have ANY of these problems so I refer to it as a second generation. Hyundai was very quick to listen and make changes to the second batch off the line. As I understand it a third generation has hit the streets correcting many other issues like the electrical issue with the Temp indicator and fuse block. If you looked at the website for Hyundai during the intial offering of the new Santa Fe the SE and Limited were listed twice under the Webtech site. The first generation was actually listed as discontinued. Another change made was the rim size. Early on ONLY the Limited got the 18 rims and the blue dash. The second generation SE did away with the 17 inch rim and got the 18. The Blue backlit dash was also now available in the SE as part of a package. Now only The Entourage SE gets the 17 inch rims. They seemed to have blurred the line between the SE and Limited by adding those features. I would have bought the SE instead if they offered these options early on and saved 4 G's. Buggers...
    Wow, that's great info, pelican. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, I found it very interesting that not all 2007 Santa Fes came with the blue dash lighting. Those that did not have it, what type of illumination did they have? Also, are you saying that some current generation SEs and GLSs don't have the blue lighting? This is the first I've heard that.

Thx.
    Some have the lime green backlight. Not pretty at all. Our Entourage had it on the SE.
    Lime green backlighting on 2007 Santa Fes? I never knew that. I always thought that all 2007 Santa Fes had the blue lighting. Anyone else here have the green?
    If you go to the Hyundaiusa.com website and click on the santa fe link then go to the comparison link you will see a list of first second and third generation 07 Santa Fe's. The first two have been discontinued...
  • drwoodrdrwoodr Member Posts: 88
    Interesting info. I don't think all these changes were done at once, though. My SE was built in Dec. 06. I have the blue dash lighting and XM, but my map lights did not go on when the doors were opened (they did fix that for me later). I belive the map light fix was done in production sometime in Feb. 07.
    Couldn't have been Feb. - My Santa Fe Limited 3.3 FWD was born on 1/24/07 in Alabama, and it had the front maplights fading on and off with the door OK. It had to have been right at the first production batch in January '07 that they corrected the light issue during production.
  • oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    Where did you see that 2007 Santa Fe's were built without blue back lighting?

The production fix for the map lights was staggered based on the color of head liner and whether you had a sunroof or not (see this info on a different thread in this forum). My Santa Fe (no sunroof, gray interior) was built in December but did not have the production fix although my dealer did fix it.

My GLS came with 16" wheels, but the only other wheel available for the in the US was 18". Check out the Santa Fe's brochure, which does not list a 17" wheel. It doesn't mention XM though, because it was printed too early.
    Where did you see that 2007 Santa Fe's were built without blue back lighting?

Yeah, I've been wondering about that one myself. I don't see anything suggesting green or any other color besides blue in any of the sources I've looked at. AFAIK, no one here has mentioned owning a Santa Fe without blue lighting either.
  • khenry1khenry1 Member Posts: 3
    I had some annoying squeaking goin on in my dash. The problem was occurring usually when it was getting warm outside. I found that the insert on the instrument panel was the cause. I removed the insert and removed the tape surrounding the edge of the insert. That seemed to help a little but the sqeaking still happened. Finally I improvised and found the far edge of the insert was still rubbing against the clear cover on the instrument panel. I placed some velcro (the fuzzy side) on the insert where it would come in contact with the clear instrument panel cover. No problems since.
    What "insert" are you referring to? Got any pics?
  • khenry1khenry1 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry, no pics. The insert I'm refering to is with the instrument panel. There are two screws at the top so it is easy to remove, just don't pull out too far as the wires to the trip buttons are attached. ">
    Anyone else notice the starter making an extended spinning/vibration noise on cold start up? - only seems to happen once on the first start, then it goes away and strats normally after that.
    Update....since I first heard the noise when starting from cold (zzzziiiinnnnggg) it is now doing it when accelerating for just a short while - it is getting more noticeable. Ergo, it can't be the starter that's making the noise - it must be something to do with the engine or the muffler - i can't decide which.

Here I go again - sigh, I'll get it checked AGAIN when I take it in for next oil change and to get the rear seats fixed where the leather seat edge is loose.

pelican19, any change in your reported noise like mine?
    My wifes Limited still does it but we were told its functioning normally. Not in my book but it does drive fine. We now have 5k+ on it. Still keeping an eye on it.
  • bambewbambew Member Posts: 43
    My ' 07 Santa Fe 3.3L has 16,000 Km / 9,000 miles on the clock. Just recently, within the last 1000 Km, it has developed a very noticeable valve train tick. :(

Anyone else with same, having this issue?

TIA

John.
    I am beginning to get a little nervous and hope there is nothing seriously wrong with the new engine.(I have a 3.3 too) Please keep us posted and how they handle it under the warranty!

Granted the complaints about the 2007 have been few, but are still troublesome for us first time hyundai owners!

Thanks
  • drnick0007drnick0007 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2007 Santa Fe SE, and I hear a knock (and feel it in the gas pedal) after driving about 200 feet from a cold start. It only happens once, and only during a cold start. I went to the dealer for service, and the technician said it was my ABS Pump doing a Self-Test. He said it's probably normal on all the Santa Fe's.

Does anyone else hear this noise when they start driving after a cold start?
  • kdahlquistkdahlquist Member Posts: 130
    All modern vehicles do an ABS system self test shortly after starting. It is sometimes felt as a brief vibration, and sometimes as a little thump or knock. It is perfectly normal.
  • i360i360 Member Posts: 74
    Take a look at your speedometer when it happens, the ABS makes that noise (vibration/knock on gas pedal) when you hit 20mph.
    15k, very faint but it is def there...
  • drnick0007drnick0007 Member Posts: 3
    Yep... 20 MPH. Thank you for your quick responses!
  • bambewbambew Member Posts: 43
    Thanks for the reply pelican.

Going to take the SF to the dealer today to get them to have a listen to it.

Not thrilled of having them 'crack' the engine open at this point of its young life. However, it will prolly only be the rocker covers that get removed if they suggest surgery...

John.
    Pelican19 ...Hmmm - I decided to check the Hyundai HMAService website where they show all known problems and TSB's for all the models. There are a whole bunch of 'em.

There is a TSB 06-20-002 which relates to a known problem with the Timing Chain Pre-tensioner making a noise on the first 10 secs. of start up after storage. They show an updated replacement. I think this may be the answer to your wife's start up noise like mine.

Interestingly, they also show a washer insert for the tranny because of noise, and slippage info, as well as Knocking noises caused by after market OIL-FILTERS which don't seat properly causing pressure variations.

They also admit that all S.F"s are shipped with tire pressures of 44-46 psi to prevent flat spots and tell the dealers to reduce to 30 psi because of known TPMS warnings. Ther also seems to be a lot of tire noise problems, also as reported on this forum.
    Hello jcwsbltd

I have just registered on the HMSservice site and there is nothing that I can locate as far as TSB's or almost anything else for that matter. My SF still is under 2500 miles since we haven't been around to drive it much (2007 SF AWD SE)and my poor dealer is somewhat clueless about TSB's.
    I got 2 things fixed ONLY BECAUSE FORUM MEMBERS TOLD ME TSB'S TO LOOK FOR!!

Did I miss something? (or has the site been stripped?)....my pc is far and above their specs...

ie: is there a TSB for the loose parking brake issue or do they juat tighten a cable...I have service tommorrow and the Sounded like "well look at it.....not confidence inspiring but once they know...they are on it!

could you post a link, or perhaps what I am missing?

TIA
    Hello gizzer,

Regarding the parking brake, mine had a problem from day one - the parking brake would not hold the car stationary (wouldn't even come close). I took it to the dealer and 30 minutes later all was well. They simply adjusted the parking brake cable. I don't know if there was a TSB on it but the dealer had no trouble fixing the problem. That was 3 months ago and it's been fine ever since.

- Mike
    Thanks mpuzach...
    Thanks Mike

as always you are there when we need you!
    Mine is a little different. In neutral on an incline, it will hold the car stationary (if you really push down on it, and still I do not trust it!

)
    In gear, forget it...The SF will creep along which is not acceptable to me ...never had a car do that.

Hopefully it is just a cabe adjustment and they figure it out...oil chg tomorrow + a new window regulator...I will point him in the right direction if possible if they don't figure it out.
    Regards
    jeff
    Yeah, it sounds like yours is doing exactly what mine did. I should have been more clear in my post - the problem was most noticeable when the car was in gear and the engine was just idling. In that situation, the parking brake would not hold the car stationary. Now it holds very well in that situation; I don't have to push the pedal down with excessive force to get the brake to hold, either. I'm very confident that yours will be fine after a simple cable adjustment. Please let us know how it all turns out! ;)
    Thanks again....will report tomorrow ...like you said...should not be a problem!
    Hi gizzer777 here's how I found it:You need the ID & Password to log in.

-Go to www.hmaservice.com home information page and register and receive I.D. and password in your e-mail.
    -Go to registration window and Log in-takes you to latest info page.
    -In middle of new page click on 2nd. link :"Technical Service- Bulletins"
    -A new blank screen will open: go to top of screen and fill in car info:Model, Year & engine: it will automatically take you to a new screen
    -At top of new screen click on "TSB" at the top right of page
    -A new list will appear on left with titles such as "body","electrical", "Paint","Tires" etc
    -open all links and the TSB's appear on the left
    -Click on each TSB lnk to open them ( some will show PDF files with or without pix)

Good Luck
    Thank you (I did make an account)...therein is my problem...cannot get into latest news...The javascript says done but nothing changes...Oh well, something else to investigate. Tried Firefox and IE7...will head over to the Apple Macintosh later...

Thanks for the ifo!!!
  • skierbri10skierbri10 Member Posts: 32
    You have to use Internet Explorer and you have to download the picture viewer.
    Yep...thanks. I hate using MS products anyway but did try what you suggested (might have more to do with my firewall setup....still no info available for me...I would sure like to see those TSB's!

Today's Trip to the dealer turned into a multi hour visit. I think the window regulator and for some reason the parking brake adjustment were the culprits. Supr
    1)oil change (price just went from $32 to $36)

2)New window regulator on driver's side (a long time)
    3) Adjustment of the parking brake cable so it would engage the brake properly. FOR SOME REASON THEY SORT OF BRISTLED AT THAT ONE (it is much more normal now....thank you.....and it did seem to take quite a while
    4) Finally ag=fter all this time had the auto locks enabled. Fortotten how I missed them ...but all is wll again

AGAIN, RATHER A SHORT LIST FOR SUCH A NEW PLATFORM. :) My SF does not show some of the TSB issues brought up here of late....If there are problems my only fix is to wait for it to break, or wait for a recall

...But it's all done...FINALLY...until next trip.