Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Lexus RX 350

2»

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Have you considered holding out for a 2010 RX350...??

Something about this SMELLS to high heaven.

The wording of your complaint is EXACTLY like that of thousands of RX330 & RX350 owners going back to 2003, 1-2 second downshift delay upon re-acceleration immediately following an unshift as a result of a lift-throttle event.

Under these circumstances I don't think I'd want to take a chance on ANY late production 2009 MY RX350. Lexus has been experimenting with various fixes/solutions for this problem since mid-2000. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2009 you had/have has another FAILED experiment/fix.
    If they haven't figured out a fix for the 2010 RX350 you can make a sure bet that it still exists in the 2009 RX350.

Below quote is directly, word for word, from the 2010 RX350 factory manual set.

"The TCM determines the gear that is to be selected when the accelerator pedal is released (released completely) in accordance with the way the accelerator pedal is released (quickly or slowly) during deceleration. In this way, unnecessary upshifts are prevented during deceleration, matching the driver's intentions. In addition, unintended downshifts are prevented when accelerating the vehicle again, achieving smooth acceleration."

So, unless you can learn to abide by the above rules as to how you "manage" the accelerator pedal the 1-2 second downshift delay will remain a potential problem.
    "..Have you considered holding out for a 2010 RX350...??"

I take that suggestion BACK...!!

The 2010 RX350 (and the Toyota Venza) F/awd system was adopted from the Ford Escape/Mariner/Tribute design and is WORSE than the previous RX F/awd system by a WIDE measure.
  • richneedsaleasrichneedsaleas Member Posts: 40
    MSRP $46K with Navi
    10k miles year, $800 out the door, $459/mo incl CT Tax
    Thanks to everyone on here for sharing their experiences
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    wwest can you elaborate on this Ford system and why it is worse?
    The new 2010 RX350 F/awd system, like the Ford Escape, uses direct drive from the transaxle output to the rear driveshaft. At the end of the rear driveshaft a "linear" electric clutch is used to modulate, modify, the level of engine torque, 0-50%, delivered to the rear diff'l.

The functionality of Braking, ABS, VSC, EBD, etc, depends on the rear driveline being INSTANTLY decoupled upon activation of any of these "features", and that is the Lexus procedure.

The way I read the information the only time(s) the rear drive line will be automatically "coupled" is under HARD acceleration or with front wheelspin/slip arising from too much engine torque being used for road surface conditions. There is an intimation that OAT, COLD OAT will play a part in the level of torque automatically delivered to the rear drive line.

If the clutch is fully locked, as it can be up to 18MPH under driver pushbutton control, the driveline and tires will be forced to "absorb" any stress due to high roadbed traction. If the clutch is only partially closed/engaged then the clutch itself will be forced to absorb any undue driveline stresses, stressing.

The Ford manual WARNS that in this circumstance, linear clutch overheating, the system may go to FULL engagement or be disabled altogether and advises the driver that should this happen the procedure to follow is to pull over long enough for the rear linear clutch to cool off.

Toyota and Lexus have been notoriously lax with this type of advice so I suspect we will not see this CAUTION note in any Toyota or Lexus owners manual until maybe 2013.

While I am NOT a strong fan of the current RX's F/awd it can be made more functional than the new one. The current model uses a fully OPEN center diff'l that will allocate the engine drive torque 50/50 F/R just as long as both "ends" have equal, roughly equal, traction with the road surface.

The "secret" to making use of the current system is to assure that F/R roadbed traction is ALWAYS roughly EQUAL. I do that by installing all four tire chains in times of need.

The only option with the new system would be to "wire" the rear clutch fully closed and disable one of the front drive halfshafts. You would then have a RWD vehicle, ultimately more safe than the new F/awd RX350.

I have been seriously considering the purchase of a Mercury Mariner hybrid (now with VSC) and should I do so it would go immediately into the shop for a REMCO front halfshaft modification and I would "hot-wire" the rear clutch fully closed.

RWD but with part-time 4WD capability via manually engaging the REMCO halfshaft coupling device.
    Assuming I keep my '01 F/awd RX300 until the transaxle (prematurely) fails, I will rebuild the transaxle but modify the drive system to R/awd. Now at ~75,000 miles.

Remove the front drive spider gear from the center diff'l, weld the rear drive spider gear to its side gear, install a VC from the '99 or '00 RX300. SOLID coupling to the rear driveshaft and only VC, Viscous Clutch, coupling to the front drive.

R/AWD RX300...!!
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    This may be a silly question, but what is "OAT"?
    This may also be a silly question, or at least a lazy question, but does the new Venza have the same AWD system as the 2010 RX350?
    OAT, Outside Air Temperature.

And yes, it appears that the new Venza and the 2010 RX350 share the very same F/awd system.
    Thanks, Willard. You're The Man when it comes to AWD systems! I don't pretend I understand most of what you try to tell us. But I know you like BMW's X-drive, Acura's SH-AWD, and you're not a fan of the re-active, FWD-biased systems. Which other systems out there do you like?
    4runner.
  • MafuwahMafuwah Member Posts: 9
    Hi, does anyone know 2009 RX 350 AWD with Nav for $39,950 is a good deal or not? I live in Seattle WA. It seems like it, but I am not so sure. Please help. ;)
    Would you mind tell me how much did you pay for your RX350? I assume you have Nav package. Thanks for your help.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the Lexus RX 350 Prices Paid and Buying Experience discussion too.
    Thanks Steve, it helps.
  • sudsy120sudsy120 Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 2009 RX 350 in December and discovered that our new Lexus has a very audible whining noise in the shifting mechanism...
    we traded in our 2005 Lexus after owning it (bought new ) for 4 years and never gave a thought to test driving the 2009 because we were so satisfied with the 2005..it was so quiet running, idling etc. that we hardly new it was on...we complained to the salesperson and the manager who suggested we go into a 2010..they had just received 5..we were told it would cost $15,000.00 to upgrade from 2009 to 2010 after dishing out 22,500 in December plus our 2005 Lexus (in excellent shape) to buy the 2009....believe me this noise is extremely annoying, especially in city driving...What a huge disappointment this "new" car is to us especially when my passengers say "what's that whining sound?' I haven't contacted the Lexus main office yet but was told by the manager to do so because she can't help us....she said to put us in another 2009 RX350 would cost us over $9000.00...what a joke...it's a lose, lose situation.......I can't help wondering if that's why out salesperson had us drive the 2009 Hybrid to our home to retrieve papers while Lexus prepped the new car...we had only gone to the dealer for an oil change and an AFS problem but the manager suggested we go with an 09 before we reached 60,000 miles, then the value would decrease....unfortunately we went for it....I'm sure she new if I heard that noise I wouldn't buy it!...my advice..beware..don't judge one Lexus by another....would I recommend a Lexus now? NO! there are too many excellent cars out there for less money then to get stuck buying a car only for the name...sadly, I'm afraid Lexus is following other great selling cars and getting lax in workmanship and people skills...
  • tranavtranav Member Posts: 32
    Have you heard of lemon law? Try to put you 09 Lexus for repair at least 4 times. Then contact a lemon law lawyer, he or she will take care for you. I think with Lemon Law lawyer, most likely Lexus has to take your defect 09 back and give you the 2010 without any charge. Or you can discuss the option with the Lemon Law lawyer. Good luck and please give us the status to this forum.
  • dollyhdollyh Member Posts: 5
    Hi - did you lease an 09 RX350? which dealership please? at Prestige they just quoted me $612/mo for 15K per year, no navig.
  • mar1an1mar1an1 Member Posts: 38
    I spoke to somebody at Prestige Lexus who quoted an 09 RX350 with NAV for around 39k (purchase though not lease). But I know someone at a different forum who got 09 RX350 with NAV for $37k at Warnock Lexus (Rt. 10, Whippany). There is a reason why Prestige Lexus seems to be the only dealership with the leftover 09 Lexus RX350 with NAV. I called yesterday, and the inventory went up by 1 vehicle than the previous Wednesday (02/18/09). LOL Currently they have the bamboo pearl, breakwater blue and silver. The demo version with NAV (w/ 3000 miles) they have them in black and silver, and they want over $37k for the demo.

I had enough of the a$$titude from the salesperson who was supposedly trying to get rid of the 09 RX as the new ones came in. They can hold all the 09 RX that they want, the prices will only go down as they sit in the lot longer. And now that I'm reading all these whinning/transmission problem with the 09 RX, I'm glad that I decided not to pursue it. I also noticed a blind spot due to the panel on the driver's side and I was able to reproduce it each time I test drive the car.

Good luck with the RX350. Don't forget to shop around. Warnock has more than 10 RX440h available, priced at $40,800 (with NAV no Ent).
  • audietcaudietc Member Posts: 5
    I gave Prestige multiple chances to meet another dealer's offer and they wouldn't do it. I ended up going to Cherry Hill. Quite a drive, but they had what I wanted ('09 black/tan) for 34K (no nav).
  • pseaypseay Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 RX350 that is currently at the dealership having the transmission replaced under warranty. I also started hearing a moan on acceleration and took it in. My noise started after my car lerched forward when I was approaching a stop sign, then again after putting it in reverse. I have 49,000 miles on the car and I'm also concerned now as to what happens when my warranty has expired and the possiblility of it happening again. I would continue taking yours in for the problem. It might end up being covered under the current lemon laws. You should never have to replace a transmission with so few miles. I did my research before buying and never once came across news of transmission problems. Consumer reports and JD Powers only had glowing reviews.
    The Lexus RX series has been well known to have premature transaxle failures, 80-100,000 miles, since the very beginning. Here we are with the new 2010 models having the same FLAWED design adopted back then for the initial '99 MY.

DBW was supposed to be "the" solution back when the RX330 was introduced but failed. Now Lexus keeps trying out new firmware fixes but no success so far.

Hard to understand since Ford foresaw the problem(***) with the "new" transaxle design before the Edge was introduced to the market and adopted a variable displacement ATF pump to compensate.

*** Probably just read the forums about all the RX transaxle problems.
    Well, you know, at Ford, quality is Job One!
    No, it's just that as a "rule" the second attempt at something of this nature is an improvement.

Now if we could only get Ford to be the "second" to implement something like "ECOBOOST", formerly TWINFORCE (until gas went to $4.00).

Otherwise...Ford = IDIOTS.
  • tracibtracib Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 lexus RX350 went in last week for a complete transmission replacement. I was on the thruway when I went to pass someone and the entire truck lurched forward and made an incredible squealing noise. I had zero excelleration and was praying to God that I could get over to the shoulder safely as I was unable to push on the gas pedal! My truck was put on a flatbed and towed to the dealership. The sales manager accused me that the only way this transmission could have broken was because I must have put the truck in park before I came to a complete stop! Yeah sure, I was on the thruway going 60 when it completely failed on me! Needless to say I am now looking for the Regional Manager for Buffalo's Northtown Lexus dealership. They may have fixed my vehicle under my power train warranty but they have not heard the last of me!
  • sxylxysxylxy Member Posts: 29
    After reading these posts about the transmission failures and the transaxle failures, I thought I'd tell of my experience:

I have a 2007 RX 350 completely loaded (DVD, Mark Levinson, NAV, etc..) that I leased. My lease is up in 3 weeks. Three weeks ago, my oil line exploded. It took five return visits to get it completely fixed (hopefully). I had an almost complete oil loss of the engine. They had to replace the camshaft, several gears, and an oil pipe. It's still making some noises. Unfortunately, my own mechanic says that he's seen this before in the '07s. My husband's boss has the same model and asked his mechanic...same story...he's heard about it as well.

I leased my car because of the tax and "investment" savings (keeping my money elsewhere) and had the intent of purchasing it for $26K in three weeks after looking at the alternatives. Now, I cannot keep it. There are no other alternatives in that price range, so I'm going to end up spending a lot more to replace my vehicle. Good luck to those of you with the major issues!
  • chevy769chevy769 Member Posts: 12
    2009, one year old, in last month the donging sounding buzzer sounds one time EVERY time that the driver's door is opened, whether in or out of car. Key is NOT in ignition. And, it doesn't do it on other doors.

Did we unknowingly change a setting? I can find nothing on this in the owner's manual.
    Can't say for sure, don't know, but I suspect this to be a warning notification that someone has tried to get into the car, tried to open a locked door, while the alarm is set.

Some cars will do this if the sunroof is left cracked with the alarm set.

Intermittent door switch..??

Key still inserted switch..??

Not in park (switch)..??
  • imoimo Member Posts: 16
    On the 2009 RX350, there are 2 spring-loaded plastic covers on top of the front bumpers.
    I pulled up one of the cover and saw something under it that looked like an electrical part.
    Didn't know what it was.
    Does anyone know ?
    I believe I found the answer to my own question.

I guess under those 2 plastic covers are nozzles for the headlight washers.
    Supposedly, these nozzles spring up from the bumpers and spray liquid toward the headlights.
  • chevy769chevy769 Member Posts: 12
    I have owned my 2009 for 16 months and didn't know, but I do now. Take a look at this link. No doubt left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKFVOVzyk1E
    This question is for the 2009 RX 350

Looking under the hood, I saw a white plastic tank under the car battery ( driver side of the car).
    The window washing fluid tank starts out on the passenger side but I don't know where it ends.

This mysterious tank didn't seem to have any liquid in it, but it was hard to tell.
    I looked to see if any hoses were connected to the tank but the view was
    blocked by other things.

Does anyone know what I am talking about ?
    I don't own an RX so this may be a wild stab, (and assuming the white tank you saw is not actually the bottom part of the battery), could it be the window washer fluid for the rear window?
    According to someone in a different forum, the tank is "intake resonator".
    It's supposed to reduce the noise of air going into the engine.
This discussion has been closed.