Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Diesel?

kiwi79kiwi79 Member Posts: 10
edited August 2014 in Toyota
From time to time people mention that a 'diesel' Tacoma would be on a lot of peoples' shopping list if it was available. I'd hand over the cash as soon as this option became a certainty!

Toyota has a new 4.5 litre V8 turbo diesel engine, variable vane turbocharger with intercooler, DOHC with 32 valves, common-rail direct injection. Fuel economy (L/100Km) – 11.9L. (meets strict Euro IV emission standards)

'....Toyota's first ever intercooled, turbo diesel V8 delivering a massive 430Nm @ 1200rpm of class-leading torque for more towing grunt and 151kW @ 3400rpm ....'

Time to make a big song and dance to get these Tacos into production!

I wait with anticipation to see wait response this post gets.

Comments

• rmerme Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone out there heard about a diesel coming out in any Toyota Truck? Dealer here in Ga. Says 2006 but haven't seen anything on truck or truck with diesel.
  • etoilebetoileb Member Posts: 34
    Nothing heard, but Toyota make the best truck diesel in the world. It is the 4.2L that is pretty much standard on its LC Amazon in Europe/Africa. It is proven, has low end torque and about 26 mpg combined when coupled with 5755lb chassis. What's more its CO2 emissions are about 60% of the equivalent petrol.

If they dropped it in the Sequoia, I might shove aside my anti-SUV sentiment.

:D
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    of diesel option in the 3/4 ton Tundra. And the 3/4 ton Tundra is still rumor stage also. Production start-up date for Toyota San Antonio where Tundra will be built is 2006. Tundra current build site is Indiana.
  • playswithmudplayswithmud Member Posts: 36
    At this time we have fairly reliable confirmation of both. No word or indicators on a diesel Taco though, which is what I'm holding out for
  • fenris2fenris2 Member Posts: 31
    Dang a diesel taco would pretty much have me to the dealership in a flash. At least so long as it was a modern high performance diesel.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    yep, it would steer me away from the Ridgeline.

Anyone know what restrictions would be on it coming to CA? Larger pickups (1 ton) are allowed, but not sure about the lower end.

John
  • thegriffonthegriffon Member Posts: 12
    Toyota's new truck diesels are the 4-cylinder KD-series, 2.5 and 3.0 L — not the best in class, but far more modern and economical than the old Land Cruiser I6. Any US diesel faces extremely tough 2007 emission regs, delaying introduction of the new GM-Isuzu 3.0 L 4-cyl in the Colorado. Among the best engines in the class are VM Motori's R280 used by Chrysler (161-174 hp), International's Powerstroke 3.0 (161-178 hp), new in South American Ford Rangers, and Nissan's YD25, offering 171 hp in European Pathfinders and the Navara (Frontier) pickup. All produce around 300 lb-ft of torque. Toyota's new 1KD-FTV 3.0 produces 161-168 hp and 280 lb-ft, but an updated version (needed to meet US emissions) with more hp is always possible. Toyota and GM/Isuzu engines run about 8.5 L/100 km (27.8 mpg), the Nissan 9.0 L/100 km (26 mpg) in midsize pickups. US regulations will probably require some form of urea injection (several solutions being offered by suppliers) and the introduction of low-sulfur fuel (refineries currently being upgraded). Ford is reportedly unhappy with the Powerstroke 6.0's reliability and International's response and is developing their own alternative to the 3.0 in the US.
    although the I6 is a long evolved motor, I wouldnt call it out-dated. It works quite well in the european J100s. Would be perfect for a (read MY) current tundra. The Tundra diesel (07model) will likely be a V8 though, because of integration and noise advantages. Head design will probably borrow from the current 4cyl. With the updated 6.6 Duramax hitting the lots soon, there will be a new benchmark to beat for Toyota (and Nissan).
    What markets currently have a common rail version of the D-Max? All I've been able to find so far are the Pacific rim direct injection versions. Interested what sort of performance numbers that thing makes. I assume its simmilar to European Trooper applications. At this point Im ready to buy from the first company to offer me a midsize TD, as long as it isn't Ford or Chrysler. Isuzu/GM, Toyota or Nissan would all be acceptable, provided the cost penalty on the diesel isnt too steep. in Europe the D4D models are actually cheaper than the V6.
  • rmerme Member Posts: 7
    So what (if anything) are you hearing about the diesels coming to America? Talked with a Toyota rep two weeks ago and he said it won't happen until the 2007 model year is released Oct 06. Also said a new 3/4 ton truck will be out with what he thinks will be the diesel. Said he didn't think Tundra in it's current size would get a diesel. Are you hearing anything over there. The gas prices here are killing us so I look for Toyota to do anything that will increase mileage.

Diesel Lover

P.S. I have a VW diesel and I'm nuts about it. It's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
  • scrumscrum Member Posts: 12
    I owned a Nissan 4x4 V6 for 9 years.

The first company the comes out with a mid-size pickup with a diesel engine that produces about 170 HP and 275 ft lbs of torque and gets about 25 City/32 Hwy MPG gets my business.

I have no interest in a full-size. Just don't need something that big. I need a truck the can occasionally tow about 3000 lbs with a decent payload that is comfortable and econimically enough to take on a long trip.

The 2006 Tacoma fits the bill except I drive too much to have something that averages in the teens for mileage.
    my next car or truck will likely be a mid-size diesel just as you described.

I would prefer it with independend rear suspension and AWD.

Looks like the Ford SportTrac in 2007 may be the first to offer it all.

Not a big Ford fan however.

John
    Hmmm- they already sell that one- minus diesel anyhow. The honda ridgeline ought to fit your bill. Conversely, for me, the carlike features, like IRS, AWD and such just wont cut it for something I plan on abusing for a few hundred thousand miles.
    G
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I understand where he is coming from. I came to Edmund's 6 years ago looking for a Ranger sized PU with a diesel engine. All the PU trucks sold in this country are gas hogs. The Ranger crewcabs sold in most of the world with a very nice 4 cylinder diesel get 45 MPG. I would imagine you would be lucky to get 16 MPG with the Honda Ridgeline, a full size PU truck. Plus it is $10k over priced for what it is. I would give Toyota another chance if they brought the Tacoma over with the D-Cat diesel. It should easily get 35 MPG
  • falcononefalconone Member Posts: 1,726
    The Ridgeline has won top honors against most of its competition. I expect it will get better than 16 MPG. One thing for certain is that it will be more reliable than the throwaway gm crap.
    You are dreaming, the Ridgeline has had more trouble than the Diesel Liberty. And they are sitting on the lots unsold for months. Honda really screwed up with their first attempt at truck building. You just wish you had a GMC PU truck. Even a Toyota PU would be better than that Ridgeline. Who is their competition, that ugly Avalanche? That was another BIG disappointment in the truck world. You should buy one if you think they are so great. They are going at fire sale prices in CA. I think they are referred to as a hot tub on wheels.
    I respectfully disagree. Most owners and reviewers are generally content with the Ridgeline. I have held off simply because I don't want a 20mpg vehicle, no matter how wonderful it rides and handles.

The Subaru Baja, on the other hand, offers all that I want EXCEPT a cab that will fit 6'3" me.

Whoever comes out with an efficient, mid size diesel pickup, will likely get my business. Or, if the Baja gets super-sized and still makes 26 mpg, I would go there too.

The Ford SportTrac, or the Taco, with a diesel, will surely get a hard look.

John
    Falconone- don't strain your shoulder patting yourself on the back.

The only real mistake honda made with the Ridgeline was to call it fullsize. Its less fullsize than the T100 (in my neighborhood these babies are still fetching a premium price) was. The ridgeline is the perfect midsize compromize for 90% of the market. ONly good argument I've heared was "How do you get to the spare tire if you got a load of gravel back there. If you took a survey, less than half of all pickup drivers could tell you the name of a place to get a load of gravel. But more about what we DO with our vehicles. Can I just survey those present. Just answer how you might use a Tacoma diesel, or similar vehicle (Frontier, Dakota, Ridgeline, Colorado, SportTrac): [my answers]
    Miles used for on road commuting: [30000]
    Biggest trailer that might end up behind it: [6000# car hauler]
    Number of kids you'd like to be able to strap in the back seat: [2]
    Months of snow/severe mud encountered each year: [3]
    Number of times current vehicle has gotten stuck: [2]
    Hours/miles spent monthly with vehicle fully loaded (people, stuff): [6/400]
    Other vehicles in household: [none]
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Some off-topic and/or personally-directed posts have been removed. This discussion is not about the Ridgeline - see the discussion title for conversation cues.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kowachedkowached Member Posts: 6
    A diesel Tacoma is exactly what I want, as a matter of fact the Toyota Hilux "Invincible" at the http://www.toyota.co.uk site is perfect with the exception that the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the truck and I can't get it in the USA...

All of the domestic mid-size trucks (Canyon, Dakota, Ranger) only get a moderate increase in fuel economy over their full size brothers, so I don't know why I wouldn't just buy the full size version. The gas version of the Toyota Tacoma gets "decent" fuel economy, but nothing to write home about compared to the 26 MPG Hilux (UK Tacoma). I hope the rumors are true about us getting the diesel version in a year or two. Heck, I'd be tempted to get a Canyon/Colorado if it had an Izuzu-Duramax diesel engine, I like the styling, but am suspect about GM quality for the long haul (100k+ miles).

The wife has a Diesel Jetta for her commute, and I really like the little diesel.
    Check out also the Australian site (.com.au). That was the first place I saw the new "hilux". Interior looks much better, too. The OZ site lists highway milage for the diesel at a converted (from l/100km)28mpg, while they list the gasser at 19mpg (which is probably more acurate than the 22mpg EPA estimate listed here). Be careful about english fuel milage ratings: they use a bigger gallon than we do (imp.gal) so all else equl, their ratings will allways be a little higher. Odly enough, the diesel doesnt get the 5 and 6 speed transmissions over there, although the european LC120 Landcruiser (which shares its platform with the Tacoma/Hilux/4Runner/GX470) uses the 6spd man. and 5spd auto behind the diesel. What I'm wondering about lately is how they will price it, compared to the V6. The american market thus far accepts that diesels cost a premium, but there's no reason for it. A 4cyl Turbo diesel has only half the parts of a V6 VVTi motor, so it should not cost anymore.

As for the competition, Nissan has their new frontier on sale in GB with a 2.5 liter TD and 178hp!
  • rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    Except the diesel marketing in the US is all hosed up right now. The government, car makers, oil industry, and the ag industry are all stuck on stupid. The opportunity for bio-fuel refineries and production is wide open. Whether you use soy, algae, or WVO I can’t help but think that production could be ramped up significantly to cut retail diesel price and home heating oil. Why the EPA can’t waiver the emissions for 2-3 years or put it on a sliding scale and continue to mandate ULSD is beyond me. I think you’d see thousands of mid size trucks and SUVs with diesels in 3 months if retail diesel dropped to 1.75 – 2.00 and emissions targets could be revamped. I applaud Minnesota for its B-5 mandate and Montana for its upcoming energy summit on coal to liquid. I know there are all kinds of problems with this simplistic view, but I don’t understand the lack of motivation on the bio industry to gain market share. Also I need a new truck this month not in 2007 or 2008.
  • amccomamccom Member Posts: 2
    The people in California do not deserve to be able to own a Toyota Diesel. They are the Nasis who started the unstoppable decline of freedom to drive what americans want to drive and own. They keep giving the EPA more and more authority to ruin the industry. The best thing that can happen is that they will never be able to buy or own Diesel Toyotas. Only the localities who have the guts to fight emissions inspections should be rewarded with diesel ownership. Also goofballs.. keep dreaming. When the Toyota dealers get their hands on these trucks... the premium will probably be at least 10 grand or more over list. Oh, yea, don't forget the charge for dealer preparation. Well, I drive an 1987 6.2 L chev diesel...get 24 solid mpg and it is a full size truck. Oppps it does not meet emission standards but I looose sleep every night about that. Diesel would have to get to about 20 dollars a gallon before it would pay to buy a $40,000.00 Toyota after the dealers lick you clock. Oh, I forget we should also include Washington and oregon states in that black list. All those people want to pay 10 bucks a gallon for fuel, after all they keep voting themselves increases in fuel charges. That is how they vote. And I must defend chevy diesels. Mine will outpull and out last any cheese [non-permissible content removed] four banger. P.S. My neighbor had one and get good at replacing bearings, fuel pumps and head gasgets. If you live in a cool climate buy a nice warm blanket for it too.
    VR
    amccom
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    HiLux Belize Diesel

I'm about ready to fly to Belize, buy one of these and drive it to the USA;)
    if I can't get a diesel engined car here in CA I will start driving my tractor to work. Hey, it will do 23 mph in a pinch and no one will dare to hit me.

Folks outside CA think we are 100% liberal here but let me tell you, agriculture is the #1 industry in CA and it takes quite a few of us rednecks to make that happen.

John
    You tell em. Only LA & SF vote Lib. The rest of the state is dragged down by that vocal minority. Keep those crops coming. Most people forget that CA feeds the nation. We need to start importing small diesel PU trucks to cut down on fossil fuel usage.
    The wife has been paying through the nose for diesel fuel since last Fall, and that is usually because diesel competes for refinery space with home heating oil around that time, but it usually comes down by now (March). A fellow TDI driver at work told me that he read an article where one of the big oil companies "restructured their fuel prices based on energy content", which is a really nice way of saying that they are going to continue to charge more money for diesel in the future even though it requires less refining than gasoline... If that is indeed the case, then paying the $1000-$5000 premium to initially purchase a diesel vehicle AND paying more per gallon at the pump AND the additional maintainance costs of diesel will make driving a diesel less and less economically viable. I guess we'll just have to sit tight and see.
    I hope the hypothesis is wrong.

My expectation is that competition will lower the cost of the fuel. And, I think it is the gasoline engine that has more maintenance, not the diesel?

John
  • shufflesshuffles Member Posts: 50
    You are lucky. You can get a Toyota diesel just across the southern border. Toyota sells Hilux diesel pickups there, as in most of the rest of the world. I have no idea if they are allowed in your state. Please let me know. :)
  • cressidacressida Member Posts: 1
    i'm currently a owner of a 86 cressida wagon with a 5mge motor straight axel rearwheel drive. i'm planning a trip to japan and an curious if there are any toyota desiel engines that would bolt up to my wagon (tranny). also any tips on using that motor for biodesiel use. thanks
  • jcm55jcm55 Member Posts: 1
    I wanted a diesel Toyota so bad that I built my own:

http://vpizza.org/~jmeehan/toyotadiesel/
    I just saw a new silver Toyota Hilux pull out of the GM Tech Center, apparently GM is doing some "Benchmarking". It said VVT-i (or something close) in front of the doors,so I'm assuming it wasn't a diesel, but it looked nice nonetheless.
    There is no doubt that the American diesel equipped trucks are second to none for the "big jobs". I for one don't pull a 17,000 pound trailer every day, I want a truck that can pull 7,000-9,000 pounds a few times a year, bring misc "home improvement stuff" home a few times a year, and still deliver 25ish MPG on the daily drive to/from work. I'm not hung up on [non-permissible content removed] trucks, I'd be happy if Ford put a baby Powerstoke in the Ranger, same with GM or Dodge. If Dodge puts the same CDI engine from the 2007 Grand Cherokee into the Dakota "I'm in". Currently, Toyota and Nissan make the only mid-size trucks with any towing capacity, the Ranger and Canyon are a joke in the towing department, and the Dakota fuel economy is so poor that you might as well buy a Ram 1500.
  • surlyoldbillsurlyoldbill Member Posts: 36
    I've waited long enough for a mid-size pickup with a diesel. Basically, I want it for the MPG and the longevity of the motor; not for power or towing, although I do tow stuff every once in awhile. I am going to buy a Dodge Sprinter van in the next few weeks. The middle size (140) is only about a foot or so longer than my tacoma excab, and there is over 10' of cargo space behind the front seats. It also gets up to 29MPG, but 24MPG is typical. Same towing capacity as Tacoma, and it's tall enough inside to stand up in! If Toyota offered something similar, I'd buy it. Lately, Toyota seems to be interested in making bigger and bigger trucks, with poorer MPG than previous models. The new Tacoma is the same size as the old Tundra.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The new Tacoma is not as wide as the old Tundra or T100. Both those could lay 4x8 paneling flat on the floor between the rear wheelwells. The Tacoma can't do that.

Bob
  • goodcrdgoodcrd Member Posts: 253
    Look at all the US made trucks and how they are used. They are generally used and abused. Maintenance is not followed and they keep on going. People who buy light duty equipment like "Toy"ota's and Honda"izuzu" and Nissan products normally have their oil changed every 3000 miles like sheep and treat their equipment better then their wives. American trucks are the best. See what all the contractors are using. They want dependable hard working vehicles that will take a pounding. All these so called awards are marketing gimics to get people to buy their sponsor's products. Talk to a good independent mechanic and see what he thinks is dependable. I don't like Ford's but they have been making a dam good truck for years. Chevy and Dodge also make good work trucks. Toyotas are good for light duty. You treat them like a red headed step child and your going to pay. Be grateful you have so many to chose from, everyone has different likes and needs. Do what's best for you.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    People who buy light duty equipment like "Toy"ota's and Honda"izuzu" and Nissan products normally have their oil changed every 3000 miles like sheep and treat their equipment better then their wives.

I don't think that's an accurate depiction. Look on any pickup message boards and search for threads on oil change frequency. Regardless of brand, you will find a huge number of replies claiming, in essence, that your engine will blow up if you don't change your oil every 3-5,000 miles. See if you can find some of these same people ranting about the intervals (approaching 15,000 miles) with GM's Oil Life Monitor--they just go nuts.
    My Mercedes Sprinter is every 10,000 miles. If it is used lightly the monitor may go to 20,000 miles. My VW TDI had a 10k mile between oil changes after the first 5k miles. Many diesel owners get 25k miles between oil changes. Only gassers require changing oil at 5k mile intervals. Another good reason to switch our vehicles to diesel. Save more oil on wasted oil changes.
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    Gee, aren't all Chevy trucks made in Mexico and Canada? And don't most of the parts come from all over the world? Sounds like an import to me.
  • narenjinarenji Member Posts: 161
    yup toyotas & nissan trucks wont take a beating. yup they are crap alright... you're full of sweeping generalizations. people buy based on need. and in so cal, latinos heavily favor japanese trucks for work, unless they can write off part of the truck purchase when they buy a huge powerstroke or duramax diesel pickup. My gardner used to have a mazda b2200 from the 80s, and he said he loved it, he bought it for 2000 bucks and it gave him good service for 8 years... the reliability ratings arent pulled out of the air...
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    The Bay Area and LA County contain almost 24 million people, well over 2/3 of the state's population. Vocal minority?! ;-)

I bet Toyota goes hybrid with the Tacoma before they go diesel. Now Tundra? That's a different story, Supposedly they will have a diesel ready for it by 2008. Actually, I wonder if they would ever consider putting that one in the Tacoma too. But it might be overkill.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    Neither Nissan or Toyota built a truck capable of doing the job of the real contractor until 2000. That is 6 years (less for the Titan if I'm not mistaken) to build up a reputation in the big truck market that Ford has held for close to 80 years. Even now there is no option for a full size 3/4 or one ton foreign. That puts a big hole in the foreign market for contractors. Even with that disadvantage, the foreign are gaining ground every day. As for the american reliability, that is crap. My dad had no choice but to do regular scheduled maintenance on his brand new F250 because the damn thing was in the shop every 2500-3000 miles anyway. My F250 couldn't even hold up as a daily driver that never saw more than 500 pounds in the rear. I didn't even know that vehicles could reach 100K until I bought a Toyota. When Toy and Nissan bring out a 3/4 and 1 ton full size, and have a few years to prove reliability, you will see a big tipping of the scale. If they make it, the sales will come. Saying that the foreign trucks don't compete in the contractor market is like saying Hyundai doesn't compete in the limo market. You have to offer a comparable product to compete.
    I don't think you will ever see HSD in a Toyota PU truck. It is just not going to work. You cannot tow anything with it. You cannot take the current ones off-road without worrying about burning up the motors. I think it reached its pinnacle in the Camry and that is as far as it goes.
    Well, with those remarks I was just parroting Toyota's official remarks that they would eventually make a hybrid version of every model. They do plan it for the Tundra, with late availability, after they get the diesel out there.

And think - those electric motors have WAY more torque off idle than any of the current diesels being used in the full-size pick-ups. Think of the engine more as a generator for trail use, with the electrics providing most of the short-distance towing power - there is definitely potential there, limited mainly by the battery technology. On paper, the hybrid powertrain is a better choice than any of the huge gas engines the domestics use. And they go head to head with the diesels, each side with its own pros and cons.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• utherjorgeutherjorge Member Posts: 13
    That's a really dumb statement. Not one of those comments makes any sense. Do you read magazines? Do you read about the quality issues domestics have? And what type of off-roading do you do that burns up your motors? Or do YOU actually do any of that? I assume you have no experience with Toyotas and simply like to copy things you hear elsewhere. Wait a few years, when everything shakes out (from corporate bailouts of one or more American companies to reliability issues being resolved with foreign trucks) and we'll see where you are.

Dave Becker
    I believe gagrice HAS had experience with Toyota trucks, and in fact got a bad one. :-(

Not one of those comments makes any sense

Here is what Toyota says about taking the Highlander Hybrid off road.

Highlander Hybrid in 2WD or 4WD-i is not designed to be driven off road

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2006/highlander/models.html

I don't consider 3500 lbs adequate for towing much more than a jetski trailer.

What does the quality issues with domestics have in common with whether Toyota builds a hybrid PU truck? I think Toyota will find after testing it is a bad idea and go the diesel route. I could get interested in a mid sized Toyota diesel PU truck.
  • utherjorgeutherjorge Member Posts: 13
    Well, suggesting that you can't take a Highlander Hybrid offroad backs up your point doesn't do it for me. There's a reason Jeep has struggled with doing a hybrid, and it's because you really can't jostle the batteries around, at least not with current technology, without damaging them when you go off-road.

I don't see anyone doing a hybrid offroad truck that won't have that disclaimer.

I also think "towing" and "hybrid" are mututally exclusive terms that may never be seen together in working fashion. I'd be interested to know how those GMC hybrids are doing. I understand contractors love them because they can plug in their tools, but I wonder if they are using them to haul things, or if they are relegated to light duty.

I would be surprised if anyone does anything diesel, and I say that as Jeep pulls their Liberty diesel for next year. They MAY keep a Grand Cherokee diesel using a Mercedes diesel, but we'll see. I think the domestics will be far behind, again, and that a foreign truck will be first to it.

As for what domestic quality issues have to do with Toyota, I'll bet that Ford's problems with the PowerStroke made everyone pay attention. I have read repeatedly the following: Ford lost some loyal customers over that, right at the time a new competitor comes on the scene (Toyota). I have also heard that Cummins engines need frequent rebuilds, though I can't find that one to prove to you. If diesel towing is the way to go for anyone, it seems that GM is the way to go.

And, for whatever it is worth, I had a Tundra that I loved, but I had two issues with it: one, and minor at worst, was that the front seat basically came apart at 45K miles, and two, very serious, the sludge monster ate my V-6 at the same amount of miles, and Toyota wouldn't fix. In 2004, I needed a $5K rebuild, and Toyota was going to make me pay. I was down to 10MPG. I got rid of it. My father has the same truck and has used synthetic oil and has never had a burp with his.

Dave Becker
  • berniedgberniedg Member Posts: 54
    I'd love to buy a diesel midsize suv, or small pick-up. Whats really up with the EPA ?
    The EPA Nox regulation for 2007, is so strict, VW TDI will stop arriving in 2007.
    In comparison: With a similar measured interest rate approach the FED chairman would have been booted IMMEDIATELY.

What they are effectively saying: 30% fuel economy not important, greenhouse gas emmissions don't care, NOx BIN 8 to 5, lets stop small diesel engine production.
    Thats political, whos giving EPA marching orders, I wonder ?
    GMC hybrids are doing. I understand contractors love them because they can plug in their tools

I have one and it is not a hybrid in the sense that Toyota is. It stops the engine at lights. It uses the gas engine for all power. Has regen braking to charge the batteries. Has a 42 VOLT common lead acid battery. I used the AC in a power outage two weeks ago. Kept our refrigerators from defrosting. The vehicle is VERY quiet. Cannot really tell when the engine shuts off and starts.

If GMC was not using such thin sheet metal, I would give the vehicle 5 stars. It is just too tinny for me. I liked the pre 1999 PU trucks better.

I do think you are right about who gets here first with a small diesel PU truck. I will probably sell the GMC Hybrid and buy the diesel. Even if it is a Toyota.
  • kiwi79kiwi79 Member Posts: 10
    It seems that most of you are looking forward to any truck manufacturer to make a mid-sized (Tacoma size) diesel. Some have mentioned the likes of Toyota's 'Hilux'. There are plenty of vehicles that are on offer, both in Europe and Australasia that have been primarily running diesel engines for decades.
    To me, fuel consumption in America has never been particularily important and 'the bigger the better'. Diesels seem to be, only a 'heavy-duty' thing too. You only need to look at the rest of the globe and see how far behind the American market is in terms of light-duty diesel availability. (thank your government for that maybe)
    In New Zealand and Australia the diesel Hilux in various forms has been the backbone of both farming and general industry for decades. These vehicles reliabilty would amaze 'Joe Average' in america and have been used in some of the most harsh conditions on the planet.
    Unfortunately I had to buy a petrol V6 VVTi 2005 Tacoma (re no diesel). I've even contemplated converting to the 1HD-FTE (I6cyl) diesel engine, 4.2L 201Hp 430Nm torque and 31MPG (US)(from the 100 series Landcruiser) but a little harsh for a new truck and that engine is due for an update. A mate in OZ has a new Hilux which uses the 1KD-FTV 3.0L D-4D (EDI) engine (I4cyl). 163Hp 410Nm torque and 37MPG(US). Apologies for not converting Nm to LB/ft.
    Hopefully, one day soon Toyota will produce a TDI Tacoma. If the only issue is associated to emissions i'm sure this could be overcome. Even Bio-diesel seems to be a major player in Western Europe and can be bought at local gas stations too. The demands of the American market should dictate a swing to diesel but it will be the governments that bring about this change.
This discussion has been closed.