Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Very unlikely the '09 Elantra SE will get a power driver's seat. Not even the Touring gets that. It's possible the lumbar adjustment will be added to the SE, since the Touring gets it, but no announcement on that yet. Also no word whether there will be a new engine for the Elantra. The Touring is getting a tweaked I4 with a few more ponies (141?) than the current Elantra, but is getting a 5-speed stick or 4-speed automatic. So the SE could also see a few more horses, but I don't expect any big difference in fuel economy.

There are rumors about a revised grille and taillamps for 2009, ala what was shown at the Beijing Auto Show, so if you don't like the current styling that might be something to sway you.

Keep in mind also that historically when Hyundai introduces a new model year, the rebates and discounts on those cars drop until the old models are gone, or nearly gone. So if you are going to buy this fall, a '09 might cost you more than a '08.

My wife has a little contoured lumbar support cushion that she uses sometimes on long trips in our van; it's about the same color as the grey interior of the Elantra. Maybe something like that would help you with the Elantra.
  • nareknarek Member Posts: 37
    Thank you, backy. That was exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. :)

I figured I'd 'fix' the lumbar situation with a cushion on the '08. I have a herniated disc in my lower back so that's a pretty big concern for me. I had an '08 for 48 hours a few weekends ago, and found the seat to be adequate enough.

Unless there's some big improvement in MPG or safety, I'll probably stick with the '08. Slightly different styling on an '09 is not a reason to wait, IMHO. A lack of discounts or increased pricing IS a good enough reason go with the '08.

Fitzgerald has one that just came in, I discovered yesterday morning. It's supposed to be mine as I put a $500 deposit on that specific VIN number several weeks ago. Hopefully they don't sell it out from under me. :surprise:
  • inharmswayinharmsway Member Posts: 153
    Talked to a salesman at the biggest Hyundai dealer around here (N. Ca.) He said that the 2009 Elantra sedan would not be out for another 6 month. Same place where I was told a couple of weeks ago that it would be late August or early September. Maybe the sedan and Touring will arrive at the same time. They had 119 Elantras in stock, 18 of them SE's.
    Sounds like a salesman trying to sell you a 2008 Elantra. ;)

I would put a bigger bet on August/September, as I've now heard that timeframe from multiple sources--all of whom were not trying to sell me a 2008 Elantra.
    I thought of this too. They are salesmen at heart. So I phoned Hyundai customer service. They said that the Touring would come out at the end of the year, and that they had no info on the 2009 Elantra.
    That jives with what a Hyundai customer rep told me in March about the Touring--end of the year.
    I hope you are right about Aug/Sept on the 2009 sedan. I can't wait to see it.
    Today I phoned 2 Hyundai dealers here in N Cal. and asked when they expect the 2009 Elantra sedan. One said November the other said Sept./Oct.
    I've gotten so many different answers over the years to "When is X car due?" that now I believe it when I see them on the lot.
    Elantra sales are surging, helping HMA to its best sales month ever. Which is remarkable given that almost every other automaker except Honda had a sales decline in June:

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2008/07/01/091631.html
  • pano1pano1 Member Posts: 11
    I too have been asking around my area (OH, PA, WV) and even talked to their publicity guy, but also could not get a firm answer on when the '09s will arrive. From what I've been able to glean from the 2 dozen or so sites that I visit, the answer is pretty much the same as above. My dilemma is whether to wait or buy now. From what I understand, there are many cosmetic changes for the better, but I'm sure we will not see the price ranges that we are seeing here. My heart is in the Touring, but that won't come until after the sedan. There is no compelling need for me to buy now, since I have an Envoy SUV that will not be a welcomed trade vehicle at my friendly Hyundai dealer so I can afford to wait. Since this site has been "dead" for a couple weeks now, I thought maybe some of you could offer your opinion on "buy now" or "wait".
  • moocow1moocow1 Member Posts: 230
    I don't even think there's a comparison, if you can afford to wait, ALWAYS wait. You'll end up with better resale, improvements, etc. Now the one major issue is that waiting for a good price also means waiting 3-4 months after model release. Similar to how the 2009 Sonata wasn't worth buying on the cheap until May-June period.
  • ez888ez888 Member Posts: 39
    moocow brings up a good point- there probably won't be really good deals out there for a little while after the new elantras hit the dealers. i don't think the deals would be as good as they are now either- why would they? people are buying elantras like crazy. i know the dealer i bought from stopped going so low on prices since they didn't have to.

i was in a similar situation as you- i didn't need to buy now, but if the right deal came along i would. the pics of the touring does appeal to me but i doubt i would get it for 14700 before TTL like i did the SE. that's why i got the 08 SE- the deal was right!

good point about your trade in. hopefully gas prices settle a little so you could get at least something for your suv. there are a couple dealers here who are major low balling trades with suvs since no one is buying them.

as moocow said, if you can wait, then wait; however, my $.02 is don't expect similar prices as now or a month or so ago. if you get a good price, that's just an added bonus.

enjoy!
  • kentavos22kentavos22 Member Posts: 13
    There is a lot of talk out there about the upcoming Elantra Hybrids that will be hitting Korean streets in 2009. The biggest news is that they will be using Lithium Polymer batteries.

I hadn't really thought about the possibilty, but now I'm drooling over the idea of a hybrid version of the Touring. I hope they announce some time table for the states. It'll have to be progressive to keep up with Chevy's Volt and all of the other eletric cars slated to hit the market in 2010.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    It would have to be expensive to keep up with the Volt. Volt is expected to cost more than $40,000
    The biggest Hyundai dealer here in N. California has no more SE's only GLS's, and that number is going down. So maybe we do not have to wait too long before the 2009 sedan shows up.
  • budhbudh Member Posts: 109
    Please, Hyundai, if there is one thing to add to the Elantra (at least the SE model at a minimum), please make available an exterior temperature display! You have a trip computer, surely for minimal cost an exterior temperature display can be added!

Bud H
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    I've liked the current Elantra for it's value and quality from the first time I drove one back in '07. Honestly, though, the unique styling hasn't ever grown on me. I will say that the introduction of the SE with bigger wheels, spoiler and other minor trim tweaks does go a long way toward making it more visually appealing, at least to my eyes.

The promo/teaser pics of the Elantra Touring that is due out at some point in the '09 model year are quite another story! The new nose, the flow of the sides and even the way they pulled it together at the back all look AWESOME! I currently have an '06 Mazda3 5-door and I cringe at the thought of returning to a traditional 4-door sedan with a trunk. Small 5-doors/Hatchbacks/Wagons or whatever you choose to call them are like having the utility of a small SUV with the driveability and fuel economy of a compact car. The only reason I'm thinking of trading is because I have an 84-mile round trip commute M-F and my Mazda has a manual transmission- I'm dying for an automatic.

Does anyone have any information about when the new Wagon will show up at dealers? I'm also curious if any of the sleek styling cues will also show up on the sedan?

The only possible thing that could make the new Touring even more perfect would be replacing the current 4-speed automatic with a 5-speed automatic unit. It would easily boost the Elantra's highway mileage by a few MPG and provide a bit of a power boost at the same time. I'd gladly pay a few hundred bucks more. With the Accent serving the entry-level role, the Elantra could fill more of a premium compact role in line with the Mazda3 and Honda Civic.

Regardless, I'll be at the dealer as soon as they have the first Elantra Touring ready for a test drive. =)
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    They have a 5 speed Elantra - just get the stick. :)
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Actually, the only reason I am in the market for a new car is because I have a manual now and NEED an automatic.

I've found a bit more information, although the closest specific date I've found is 'Winter 2008'.

On the HyundaiUSA.com website, if you click on the 'VEHICLES' menu, the last item on the list is 'Concept/Future' and that takes you to the page for the '09 Elantra Touring. It's rather hokey and takes a bit to load, but once it does you can download specs, see key features and even configure color/wheel choice and choose interior color. Only five exterior colors are shown Black, Vivid 'Electric' Blue, Chilipepper Red, Quicksilver and Carbon Gray- I think it would look sharp in White and a sand/champagne hue. The Vivid Blue is my favorite and it offers either 16" or 17" alloys- the 17's look great!

The only problem I had with the site was trying to sign up for updates- it errored out using Firefox and IE7.

Hyundai's Canadian site actually has a much sleeker looking design and a lot more color photos. Ironically, I was able to sign up for email updates from the Canadian site....too bad I'm in Atlanta. =)

I'm getting kinda stoked about it....wonder when Winter 2008 will actually be?
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • bryan_05bryan_05 Member Posts: 16
    Any updates on the Touring? It's been a month between posts.
    Although most attention will be placed on the advent of the 2009 Genesis luxury sedan, Hyundai is bringing a few other offerings to market. A lightly-revised form of the midsize Sonata sedan is already at dealers, while an all-new five-door Elantra, dubbed the 'Touring,' arrives in North America in January.

http://blogs.automobilemag.com/6291140/future-cars/future-hyundai-products-focus- -on-fuel-economy/index.html
    I hope they are as wrong about the Touring's release date as they are about the "lightly-revised" Sonata. :P

Hmmm... if the Touring does debut in January, I wonder if it will be designated a 2009 or 2010 model year?
  • smith20smith20 Member Posts: 256
    the 'Touring,' arrives in North America in January

That is so incredibly sad. If January turns out to be actual release, they will have delayed this thing almost a year from it's original projected release of spring 2008 . . . right when small car demand has reached levels not seen since the 1980s. It seems like they're really missing out on some nice small car profits on this one. I would believe they would be extra motivated to get this one out on the dealer lots. Perhaps the tardy release portends serious problems in getting this car consumer-ready . . . though that would be very surprising since this model is so similar to the European I30 model.

I guess I am just bitter since we're going to need to replace one of our cars soon and we're basically waiting for this car, but I don't want to buy it during the first few months of crazy demand, so January would realistically mean April '09 for us. *sigh*
    I am in the same boat. The Elantra SE and Touring are at the top of my list, but SEs are really hard to find now, the 2009s aren't out yet, and the Touring won't be out until next year it appears. To top it off, incentives on the Elantra are decreasing due to the popularity of small cars. So I might be forced to go to the other cars on my list. :(
    While I was waiting for an oil change at my local Hyundai dealer today, I was talking with a sales rep about various things. He mentioned that the 2009 Elantra sedans were due in "next month." He also said that they would have styling tweaks from the 2008s (maybe like we've seen in those photos from the Beijing auto show?). I asked him if the GLS would get ESC, as has been rumored, and he said he didn't know yet. He is waiting for the 2009s because they have only one 2008 left, a base 5-speed.

He also said he's heard it would be "a few months" before the Touring comes out, which is consistent with the January 2009 date mentioned here earlier.
    I was in for an oil change today also. No 2008 Elantras left and the 2009 is not due out untill November I was told.
    Maybe October/November depending on distance from the ports.
  • mrcellusmrcellus Member Posts: 52
    I do not know if this has been posted yet but I ran up on it by way of another site. Hyundai News has all of the press releases for the 2009 models -including the 09' Elantra sedan-so it is coming soon peps as mentioned. I am just glad the body doesn't change like overseas. Here is the link enjoy: link title.
    Thanks for posting this! It confirms some rumors (iPod interface) and kills others (styling tweaks, ESC on the GLS). The tweks to the suspension on the GLS and SE are a surprise, but welcome.

Notice all the new features listed are "late availability." That means, apparently, that for awhile the 2009s will be just like the 2008s. :surprise: I wonder if there will be a price increase for 2009? (The price link wasn't active on the linked article.)

I am disappointed that the GLS won't have ESC. Hopefully Hyundai will ship more SEs here for 2009--they were pretty hard to find for much of 2008.

P.S. Another local (Twin Cities) dealer confirmed that 2009 Elantras would be coming in the next 2 weeks.
    Hey Backy! I knew you would probably be the first to post :). Like you, I am surprised at alot that is coming even late. I am going to wait on the new tweaks for sure and as mentioned I am glad the body style stays.

The actual website is HyundaiNews.com then choose the Media Kits tag at top and choose 2009 Models. The new suspension tweaks and the 24 inch and 20 inch front and rear bars make for some nice wheels and very sporty drive now for sure I hope.

I am also hoping in more SE's available and accessories for sure. I can't wait to see how the new SE performs!
    I am getting a little tired waiting, and need to get a car by late October, maybe November at the latest. If an SE is available then at a decent price,that's probably what I'll get, but if not... on to other choices! For instance, the Sonata GLS is actually lower priced right now with all the incentives than the Elantra SE. If I could find an Optima LX with ABS/ESC, that would likely cost less than an Elantra SE too.
    "Expect prices to start around $16,000."

Uh, sorry... no way that will happen. That is not an official statement from HMA, but wishful thinking on the part of the author of the article. Consider that a GLS with Preferred Package (A/C, stereo, fogs, some other bits) is over $16k. Compare the equipment on the Touring to that of the GLS. The Touring is much closer to and in some ways exceeds the SE in equipment. Also consider that the last Elantra hatch, from 2001-6, sold for a little more than comparable sedan versions. So I don't see any way the Touring will start for less than the price of the SE, which would put it over $17k with a stick and over $18k with the automatic. In a few weeks, we'll see for sure. But don't count on a $16k sticker for the Touring. Although I wish it were true...
    In the article it has the touring with a 5 speed stick or 4 speed shiftronic auto- are the auto 4's in the 07-08 sedans shiftronic? I wonder will this be available with the 09' sedan.
    That is another example of the equipment in the Touring exceeding that of even the SE sedan. Other examples are adjustable lumbar support and available 17" alloys. The official announcement on the 2009 sedans came out recently from Hyundai and it didn't mention a Shiftronic as an added feature. It only mentioned things liked tweaked suspensions on the GLS and SE and the addition of an iPod port ala the Sonata.
    Anyone know when the 2009 Elantra will be available?
    A few weeks ago my local dealer said "in a few weeks"... so they (2009 Elantra sedans) should be coming very soon. But it looks like these early 2009 Elantras won't have some of the features announced for the 2009 MY.
  • hstepienhstepien Member Posts: 6
    I was at my dealer the other day for service and I was talking to a sales rep. (I am in Toronto, Canada) and he said he was going to a training session this month (October) at the Canadian Hyundai head office, so maybe it will be soon .... I hope.
    http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2008/10/first-drive-200.html

Large photo gallery included.

"Two weeks ago I got the chance to drive an early version of the Elantra Touring due out later this year. I was impressed with the little wagon as were others on our staff like Bill Jackson, our resident Weekend Athlete. We’ll be posting a video with his thoughts on this car in the near future, but for my initial impressions and a photo gallery keep reading.

I enjoyed driving this economy car a lot more than I thought I would. Besides a lot of buzzy engine noise — it’s amazing how you rarely hear buzzy engines anymore — the little wagon did everything right. The ride was comfortable, and there wasn’t a lot of road noise. The manual transmission was a joy with light clutch feel and smooth shifter.

As a package, the Touring seemed a bit nicer inside than the Elantra sedan. The backseats folded flat with one button, and there was a lot of cargo room. But I was shocked by the starting price of nearly $18,000 for a manual transmission. Although Hyundai hasn’t announced its official pricing yet, there was a sticker inside our test car, so I assume the price is accurate.

While the Elantra Touring is a nifty economy wagon, the Scion xB offers more utility and style, the Pontiac Vibe is more fun to drive, and a base Subaru Impreza gives you all-wheel drive. And all can be had for a similar price. Economy car indeed."

"mileage is 23/31 manual, 23/30 auto"
    August 2007. If I remember correctly that is when the "news" of the Elantra Touring for North America started to break and it is now October 2008 and Hyundai has yet to make the car available.
    The Scion xB offers more style than the Touring... LOL, that's a good one! The Scion offers more style if you like driving around in a box. :D

Not sure why the driver was surprised that the price of the Touring was nearly $18k. The price of a comparable 2008 Elantra SE, with a moonroof as on the Touring tester, is $18k today. And it looks like the tester might have the optional 17" alloys. So I am actually surprised that the price is under $18k. And if you compare prices of comparably-equipped Scion XBs, Vibes, and Impreza wagons, i.e. with moonroof, alloys, leather wheel, fog lamps, etc., I'll bet they will be over $18k. I know a base Impreza wagon with steel wheels is at least $18k if not more, and there's no moonroof on that car (but there is AWD).
    I don't mind driving around in a box. The current xB is not even a box. First gen xB was a nice design. Very functional.

I'm not a fan of the Vibe/Matrix. There used to be Corolla Wagon, Focus Wagon, Cavalier Wagon (not missed by anyone), and other fuel efficient, space efficient cars available.

It will be good to have Hyundai back in this category.
    "Very functional" is a, er, kind way to describe the looks of the previous-gen xB. ;)

There's still lots of fuel-efficient, space-efficient cars available. But most are known as "hatchbacks" now vs. wagons--even if they really look like a wagon, as does the new Touring. So for example, we have the Matrix instead of a Corolla wagon version. Not much difference except the Matrix has different styling than the Corolla sedan--but mechanically they are both Corollas, and I think Toyota even counts Matrix sales in their Corolla sales.

The new Touring looks really good, but I still like the "fastback" lines of my '04 Elantra hatch. Practically speaking, i.e. with safety in mind, it holds as much cargo as the boxier hatches/wagons and looks sportier (to me anyway).
    I wonder if Hyundai geared the Elantra Touring lower than the regular Elantra to give it more power off the line, since it gets lower MPG.
    Awesome link. Thanks joe.
    Just come home from the auto show here in Sacramento Ca. and they had an Elantra Touring on the floor. Looked very nice and roomy. Ground clearance is 1" less than the sedan,the inst. panel is different. The rear seat has "theatre" seating, it is possible because the body is taller than the sedan. The upholstery is diff. from the sedan. If you have any questions, I will try to answer them.
    Niels
    What was the sticker price? Did it have an AT and if so was it a Shiftronic?
    It was a stick shift, and I did not look at the price. Sorry.
This discussion has been closed.