Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• bryan_05bryan_05 Member Posts: 16
    What was the driver's seat like? Lumba support?
  • inharmswayinharmsway Member Posts: 153
    The upholstery was beige and was quite diff. from the sedan's. Much rougher so you will not slide so much. Very comfortable drivers seat. I did not notice the lumbar support.
    Did they give you any kind of release date?
    No.
    They did say that the 2009 Elantra should start to trickle in to dealers very soon. They must have said something about the Touring too, because I remember saying that if it came out in early 2009 they could call it a 2010 model.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I saw a 2009 Elantra GLS at my local dealer (Twin Cities, MN) earlier this week. So the sedans are here at least. It looked just like the 2008 model, except for the window sticker. :(
  • mrcellusmrcellus Member Posts: 52
    Hey Backy- Did your local dealer say anything about the 09 elantra sedan se's? I wonder how late it will be for the new features and suspension and what not. I am aware of the sales event for the holidays and my Allen Samuels Hyundai DF/W here are advertising available 2008 se models for the last few weeks.
    No, I was in for an oil change on my '04 Elantra and didn't stop to ask about SEs, just saw the '09 GLS on the showfloor. Last time I asked a sales rep about SEs, several weeks ago, he said all they had in the pipeline were GLSes. If you can grab a '08 SE at a good price, you might want to jump on it. The '09s have a price hike and will likely not have the discounts and rebates of the '08s for awhile, plus we don't know when they will be available in any volume.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    The 09 Elantra gets a new USB/Aux jack. iPod requires the hyundai iPod cable. Part number for that is 08620-2L000. It costs around $30 and it fully integrates the iPod.
    Have you seen any '09s with the USB/iPod jack yet? Hyundai said that feature along with others would be "delayed availability" for 2009, i.e.:

· Hyundai’s USB/iPod auxiliary inputs (Delayed availability)
    · New audio system with larger display and improved XM Satellite Radio™ reception (Delayed availability)
    · Improved instrument cluster design (Delayed availability)
    · Enhanced suspensions (Delayed availability)

The 2009 GLS I saw recently looked exactly the same as the 2008, except the sticker. So no "improved instrument cluster design" for example. So I wonder when these features will be at cars at dealers?
  • hyundaifan1hyundaifan1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody have an idea when they are going to release the new elantra in US, THE ONE they have in china..........its awesome, maybe 2010 with the new Li-ion batteries. I am waiting for so long , may be I have to keep my suzuki for another year.
    And another article.... Give us a release date already!
    $18,495

Hyundai's Elantra Touring, a cheaper alternative to the Mazda3 hatchback, will go on sale in the near future with a base price of $18,495. As is the norm with Hyundai products, the list of standard features is seemingly endless, including remote keyless entry, air conditioning, steering wheel-mounted audio and cruise controls, cooled glove box, 172-watt AM/FM/CD/MP3/Satellite radio (with USB and auxiliary input jacks), and an eight-way adjustable driver's seat.

As for options, customers can order up a four-speed automatic transmission instead of the standard five-speed manual, and there's also a Premium Sport package which includes heated front seats, a sunroof, and seventeen-inch alloy wheels. The Elantra touring should be hitting dealerships within the coming months.
  • hutch7hutch7 Member Posts: 88
    Until just this week I would have described myself as Hyundai's biggest fan....however after seeing the most recent IIHS test results for the Elantra I won't let my kids drive my '08! Didn't the engineers at Hyundai realize that this test would be performed? I really feel ripped off. Front driver's side was POOR and overall was MARGINAL! Anyone want to buy my deathtrap? Comments...
    The side impact results for the driver on the Elantra are indeed very disappointing, and puzzling, given this was a new design for MY 2007 and has both side and curtain airbags. Also, Hyundai must have done its own tests similar to the IIHS tests so it knew how poorly the driver would fare in side impacts, yet in the 2+ years the car has been on the market Hyundai has done nothing to improve its crash protection.

In a similar situation a few years ago, the Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan received poor scores on the IIHS side impact crash tests. Ford took quick action to make some design changes, and as a result the cars got a Good score on the side impact tests after only a short delay, and those cars are now rated an IIHS Top Pick for 2009 because they have ESC available. It's really pretty sad that Hyundai could not take action like that to protect drivers of Elantras. Hyundai's executives should be ashamed of themselves.

I was looking very seriously at the Elantra for a car that I would drive for a few years and then turn over to my daughter for school. That will not happen now. I have not given up totally on Hyundai, e.g. the Sonata remains an alternative as it has relatively good crash test scores plus standard ESC. But no more Elantras for me until Hyundai improves its side crash protection. :mad:
  • GCFGCF Member Posts: 9
    Given that 7 small car models can score perfect ratings in all three crash tests, it's obvious Hyundai's engineering ins't up to snuff.

The 2009 sonata isn't much better given that it's one of the few cars in the large midsize field that got less than "Good" in side impact.

FYI: the Fusion and Milan are IIHS top safety picks, something the Sonata, Elantra, Accent, and Tibby never have received.

Given the price of Elantras (even with discounts) are only a bit less expensive than far better cars, it makes little sense to purchase one right now.
    The Sonata does pretty well in safety, IMO, having standard ESC on every trim (something many mid-sized sedans cannot claim) and also having perfect NHTSA and IIHS crash test scores except for Acceptable on the IIHS side impact test.

I guess you didn't notice I already mentioned the Fusion and Milan are IIHS Top Picks. However, they still don't offer standard ESC as the Sonata has for 3-1/2 years.

Hyundai's larger vehicles, especially their large SUVs and minivans, seem to do quite well in crash tests. For some reason they have trouble on that with their smaller cars, i.e. Accent and Elantra. They'd better realize that kind of safety performance is no longer acceptable, or competitive, if they expect to sell many small cars in the future. With a mid-gen refresh due for the Elantra next year, perhaps it is something they will correct for the 2010 MY, similar to what they did to improve the 2004 Elantra's IIHS frontal crash test results from Poor (before 2004) to Good.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    It will be in showroom early next year.
    The Sonata went through a refresh in 2009 and yet is still one of only 4 vehicles (really 3 since the Kia is the same car) out of 16 that doesn't get a Good rating in side impact. As for ESC, most Fusions around me are equipped with ESC as a measly 400 buck option so it's essential a "standard" option. The Fusion also has available AWD, something not even available on the Sonata.

Back to the Elantra. If history is a guide, I wouldn't expect the Elantra to ever improve it's crash worthiness. For the past 8 years (since 2001) it's either been POOR or MARGINAL. (now to mention the POOR Driver Torso on the 2009).
    The Sonata went through a refresh in 2009

The ratings still reflect that of the 2006 Sonata, it was not re-tested. Ditto on the 07 Elantra, not 09 - IIHS (and NHTSA) do not perform crash test for every vehicle every single model year.

And, if history was a guide, then you would have noticed the improvements of Hyundai vehicles, for the most part, in variety of categories, including safety.
    Unfortunately the Elantra and Accent haven't seen much in the way of improvement as they represent the bottom of the safety food chain in their respective IIHS categories.

Buying an Elantra in my mind doesn't make economic sense when a similarly equipped (and much safer) Corolla can be had for roughly the same price. Case in point, my neighbor recently purchased a loaded 2009 Corolla XLE Auto w/ ESC and alloys for $16.8K after rebates. The Elantra he priced was actually a bit more money comparably equipped.
    Then I'd love to hear your definition of improvement:

IIHS:

Elantra overall ratings:

Front: 2001-03 (Poor); 2004-2006 (Good); 2007-current (Good)
    Side: 2001-06 (Poor); 2007-current (Marginal)
    Rear: 2001-06 (Poor); 2007-current (Average)

Granted, still a lot of room for improvment, but you were saying "haven't seen much in the way of improvement" - come again?

As for the Accent, it was first tested in 2006, and the only time to date, in its current generation, so no comparisons can be made.
    No need to get defensive. I didn't realize my comments hit so close to home. sorry.

As for "improvement," when you start at the bottom of the barrel (POOR, POOR, POOR), any movement, even if to MARGINAL is "improvement." Though, in 8 years, I guess it's not unreasonable to expect a bit better. Lesser brands have, why not Hyundai.
    I only listed 01 and 07 results because they were available in all three categories. In actuality, the public data went back to 96, when an average rating was posted on the frontal offset - thus, it went from average to poor to good and good.

I've already said there are room for improvement...

Of course, you don't expect the Elantra to improve, ever...
    It appears that the IIHS did not test the Elantra for side impact until the 2009 MY (which is really odd in itself, since the car was redesigned 2 years ago). But the frontal and rear (really a test of the driver's seat, not the car) tests were done on the 2007 Elantra. Since there hasn't been any change to the structure or SRS of the Elantra since the 2007 MY, there really isn't any reason for the NHTSA or IIHS to test again. (But the NHTSA did retest the Sonata for frontal impact at least for 2009, I suppose because there were some changes to the front end. The IIHS has not retested the 2009 Sonata.)

While the Elantra has improved in crash protection over the years, it is now uncompetitive in that area. Which is especially strange since Hyundai has touted safety for the Elantra and other models in its brochures and advertising for many years. Less talk and more action is what is needed by Hyundai on crash safety for the Elantra, IMO.
    It looks like the 2008 model year was tested on the side protection of the Elantra but I agree with you fully, the small cars in the Hyundai product portfolio needs more improvement on crash safety.
  • joshuagjoshuag Member Posts: 92
    I agree with you on that. I wouldn't buy a Elantra over a Fusion. In my town they have new Fusion's advertised for around 16k dollars. Of course it is the base model, but with even that you get a lot of features for the money, plus a safer car. We have a couple of later model Ford's in my family, and they have been very reliable cars. Don't forget also about the new Chevy Malibu, that's a great car for the money.
    With so many superior, safer cars such as the Impreza, Civic, Corolla, and Rabbit, I don't know what people are thinking when they buy the Elantra these days. Back in the early 2000's it made more sense to purchase an Elantra since it could save you as much as $5000 over a comparable car. Now, Hyundai seems to have priced their car out of being competitive.
    The pricing is still competitive, but not nearly the big difference it was a few years ago, as you pointed out. For example, in 2004 I got a fully loaded Elantra GT (leather, alloys, moonroof, ABS/traction, trip computer etc.) with 3 years free maintenance for $13.2k + T&L. A similarly-equipped 2009 Elantra SE today, although a nicer car with six airbags (vs. 4) and ESC, would run $4000-5000 more. Still less than a comparably-equipped Civic or Corolla, but not a huge difference.

I don't think the Elantra is overpriced in today's market, since it has improved a lot over the years and offers mid-sized room for a compact price, but I do expect that for its higher asking price it be fully competitive with Civrollas et. al. on safety, fuel economy, and other key aspects. On crash safety at least, Elantra has fallen behind. I hope we don't have to wait for the next generation Elantra to improve in that area.
    The low-end pricing on the Fusion and Milan is very attractive, except what I've seen in my area is that the Fulans advertised for around $16k don't include the optional ESC package. If that kind of pricing holds for the re-worked 2010 Fulans, which have many improvements including (I think) standard ESC), they will be a compelling choice. I am also seeing new Malibus advertised for around $16k now, so that is another great value although I am not sure I would take a chance on GM at this point.

Actually, compared to the Elantra, the Sonata offers a much nicer car for about the same money after rebates and discounts, with more power, better safety (crash scores and standard ESC/traction), and more room without much of a fuel economy penalty. Probably why the Sonata has outsold the Elantra for much of the recent past.
    My neighbor just got a loaded '09 Corolla XLE Auto w/ ESC and Alloys for $16.8K + T&L. A comparably equipped Elantra SE is the same if not a bit more money. With the Corolla he got a safer, higher resale and arguably more reliable car. Given this, I can't think of one justification to buy the Elantra over the Corolla.
    A loaded Corolla XLE lists for over $24k with an invoice over $21k; an XLE equipped as closely as possible to the Elantra SE (XM, alloys, ESC, cruise, all weather guard package) lists for nearly $20k and has an invoice of nearly $18k. So either way, your neighbor got a really good deal on the XLE, although there is a $1000 rebate on the Corolla right now and only $500 on the 2009 Elantra SE. I expect the rebates on the Elantra to increase once the 2008s are gone, especially with competitors like Toyota offering such aggressive discounts and rebates.

One justification to buy an Elantra over a Corolla is if the buyer simply likes the Elantra more than the Corolla. That is not far fetched. I happen to prefer the Elantra over the Corolla, except for side impact crash safety of course. CR rated the Elantra over the Corolla also--although I expect they will take away the Elantra's
    "Top Pick" designation now that the IIHS side impact crash test has been published.
    After thinking it over I have decided to dump my '08 Elantra and go back to Toyota. I've read all the responses to my last post on the poor side impact data collected by iihs. Either the Hyundai engineers didn't pass their classes in structural engineering or Hyundai Corp. just felt like defrauding it's customer base. Either way I am done with this name plate! :mad:
    You have to do what's right for you. But to say that the Elantra getting a "marginal" score on the IIHS side impact test is "fraud" is off base, IMO. Hyundai never claimed the car would get a specific IIHS side crash test score. While the score is disappointing to you and me and others, it's not fraud. Also, if Hyundai's engineers didn't pass their classes, then it appears that the engineers from GM, Chrysler, Mazda, Volkswagen, Suzuki, and Toyota (!) didn't pass their classes either. Their cars also got a Marginal or even Poor score in the IIHS tests on small cars, as did Hyundai on the Elantra (and Kia on the Spectra). Hyundai isn't the only car company that needs to work on bettering its crash protection on small cars.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Do you still have the 200 Taurus you bought 2 years ago?

Does it stack up better in side impact tests, by today's measures, than your '08 Elantra?
    Nope...traded the Taurus for a nice safe Elantra! Yes....I feel the fool! Good luck guy's, I'll be over in the Corolla forum...
    I'm not sure I'd label this a fraud, but it sure doesn't help Hyundai escape the notion that their cars are rolling tin cans.

And while other makes have their problems spots, Hyundai has yet to ever produce a car (not truck or minivan) that received a "Good" side impact score. Pretty sad.
    Given the high importance you place on IIHS crash test scores, it's a shame the IIHS couldn't get the side impact test result on the Elantra published earlier, so you could have had that info for your buying decision. Actually, I am surprised you didn't go for a small car with known, good IIHS crash test scores e.g. Civic or Versa, rather than the Elantra. Good luck on your Corolla--hope it is everything you are looking for.
    Hyundai has yet to produce a tested car (not CUV or minivan) that received a "Good" side impact score.

Fixed. Hyundai Genesis, for example, has not been tested by the IIHS. It has received 5 stars across the board on the government NHTSA test, including rollover rating, a rare thing on the passenger car line.

Just noticed 5 stars across the board occur less than IIHS top picks ;)
    I'd hope a $40K+ car receives top safety scores since there are so many that already do. 5 star NHTSA scores don't always (and often do not) equate to IIHS top picks. We'll have to wait and see.
    I'd hope a $40K+ car receives top safety scores since there are so many that already do.

Then you would be surprised, and the list is long (in Genesis's pricing range 33-42K, or more): BMW 3er, 5er, Z4, Cadillac CTS, DTS, STS, Chevy Corvette, Chrysler 300, Infiniti G35/G37, Jag X-Type, S-Type, Lexus IS, ES, Lincoln MKS, MKZ, MB C-Class, E-Class, Nissan 350Z, Saab 9-3, 9-5, Toyota Avalon, VW Passat, Volvo S40, S60...

And many others not listed, or not tested (almost all $60K+ models).

I digress...
    I'm confused. Many of the cars you listed are IIHS top safety picks.
    Then I'd suggest you re-read what was posted.

You started with the line every Hyundai passenger car line produced have not received a "good" score in the IIHS side impact crash test. (By the way, this isn't a Hyundai criticize/bashing thread, this is a thread about the 2009 Hyundai Elantra and Elantra Touring.)

Anyway, I corrected you, as not every single passenger car model has been tested. I then pointed out the Hyundai Genesis, for example, aced the governmnet mandated NHTSA test, with 5/5/5/5/5 ratings.

You came back and said a car costs this much (not really that much relatively speaking) should have aced the test.

So I then listed out a partial but a long list of models (cars only) haven't aced the gov't crash standards (NHTSA), those models with similar pricing range, or more.

Interestingly enough, models having achieved 25 stars on the NHTSA government test, especially passenger cars, are a lot less the number of IIHS top picks.

This was never intended to be a comparison of the test standards especially since this isn't the place for something like that, so let's get back to the Elantra.
  • carbuntcarbunt Member Posts: 40
    Agreed. Perhaps a new thread topic "safety comparisons" is in order?
  • joshuagjoshuag Member Posts: 92
    I agree with you on that. I prefer the way the Hyundai looks over the Corolla. True, the Corolla has always been a very dependable car and a pretty good buy, but they have always been a few thousand dollars more than the Elantra. And when you think about it,even more than that considering the Hyundai comes with a 10 year 100k warrantee, which is a couple thousand right there. The value in the Hyundai also is the deal that you make when you go to the dealer. Usually you get a rebate, and the dealer will offer you a discount. My cousin is looking to buy a Santa Fe Limited and the sticker is 31,500, after the discounts and rebates it was down to 23,500. So just the same with the Elantra, if you wheel and deal you can get a heck of a deal.
    Any chance the touring will have all wheel drive?
    Unlikely. The Touring has already been formally announced, and no mention was made of AWD. Also, the car is based on the Elantra, which doesn't offer AWD in any other variant. Nothing is impossible, but IMO don't look for AWD on the Touring anytime in the near future. If AWD is what you are looking for, consider cars like the Impreza wagon, SX4, and Matrix/Vibe. Or maybe a small SUV like the Tucson/Sportage, CR-V, or Rogue.
  • silver_1silver_1 Member Posts: 1
    From what I have seen and read the Touring is not based on the Elantra, it's based on the European model sport wagon (forgot the name they use). It does share the name but not a lot else, the cars don’t even look that similar.

I got the call last week that the Touring was delayed until summer, then a few days later, got another call that one had just arrived at the local So. Cal. Dealer, so I went to see it and take if for a test drive this weekend.

It was a loaded model with all the options, and was very sporty looking. It drove as expected, with a little bit stiffer suspension than the sedan, but better driver response and road feel. The acceleration was good though not a neck snapper, but the cool sounding, throaty exhaust, almost made up for it.

Comfy seats, with lumbar on driver’s side. Dash and interior was nice and quiet.

I wonder if the side crash safety test has been done on this car, separate from the Elantra sedan. I would be very curious to see if they were rated the same.

The shipments have started and will start trickling into dealers on the west coast over the next few months according to the lot manager.
    I was tempted to buy it and have the first Touring to be seen on the roads (around here) but the color was a slick metallic charcoal grey, almost black, nice, but that’s not going to work for me on a hot summer day in So. Cal. so no sale.

Sticker price was $20,900 with the $1,500 sport option package included. I have no idea what a negotiated price, with the discounts and incentives would be, didn’t get that far.
    I would be surprised if Hyundai developed a separate platform for the wagon, apart from the Elantra sedan, but I suppose it's possible. The two cars do share some components, including engine (2.0L Beta II) and a lot of the interior trim including dash/console. But the exterior is different of course, and the 4AT has the Shiftronic feature (at least I have read that) that the Elantra sedan doesn't have.
    Hyundai USA says it is arriving this month, along with the Genesis Coupe.
This discussion has been closed.