Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• siliqsiliq Member Posts: 1
    Hi

For a single, 25, male. Should he choose a 2009 Elantra GLS with PEP or a 2009 SE?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If it were me and I had to choose between the Elantra GLS with PEP or SE, no other choices in the mix, and I had the extra money I'd opt for the SE because of the sharp-looking alloys (also lower profile tires help handling a bit), the stability control (great safety feature), the telescopic wheel (helps finding a comfy driving position), the leather wheel (feels nicer than plastic), and the trip computer with mpg readout. If you really want to go all out, you can get the leather with bun warmers. Then it doesn't feel as much like you are driving an econobox. :)

Also for 2009 the SE was supposed to get sport-tuned suspension and steering as a "late availability" feature. Might want to check to see if the SEs at your dealers have that.
    Base price for the 5-speed including destination is $18,495 as reported earlier. AT adds $800 (actually less than the usual Hyundai markup of $1000 for AT), and a package with 17" alloys, heated seats, and moonroof is $1500. So an AT car with a moonroof would list at $20,795. That's without leather, which doesn't seem to be an option. Wow. Kinda pricey for an Elantra, and up there with the likes of the Mazda3, Impreza, and Rabbit. Can anyone say, "rebates"?

Also, I noticed that the AT doesn't have Shiftronic, at least according to the photos at Edmunds.com--contrary to earlier reports. I guess that should have been expected, since the Elantra sedan doesn't have Shiftronic and the ATs are probably the same.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    The pricing is a big mistake. Touring (wagon) version is worth $500 to $800 more than comparable trims of the sedan, and that is how Hyundai should have priced it.
    Hyundai better keep the import volume on the Touring to a bare minimum or these will sit on the lots for a long time.
    Hyundai must be listening to you. How many Tourings have you seen at your local dealers? ;)

But if I can get a car like the Impreza wagon or Rabbit 5-door or Mazda3 hatch for about the same price as an Elantra Touring, that would be in the "no brainer" category against the Touring, especially if the Touring shares the sedan's crash test scores.
    Finally got my first look at the production Touring today (I saw an early model at the 2008 Twin Cities auto show). It was silver, and from what I could tell fully loaded with a sticker a few bucks shy of $21k. I thought it was sharp looking, not in an in-your-face way but just pleasing proportions and a look that reeked quality. The optional 17" alloys helped there, although I'm not sure I'd want those low-profile Kumhos for the frost-heaved roads I drive on.

The interior was very tasteful, with a black cloth unique to the Touring that has cross-weave inserts. I was wondering what the back of my legs would look like after sitting in it with shorts for awhile. :P The dash is mostly like that of the Elantra sedan, but with different radio and HVAC controls. The shifter is different also, but still the 4-speed gated design. There was good room in the back even with the seats up. Roller shade was included. I noticed that there's a cooled center console--nice touch for this class.

So a nice-looking vehicle, but sticker-shock lingers. It's about $4500 more MSRP than my loaded 2004 GT was ($13.2k actual + T&L), and that has leather but not ESC, 6 airbags, 17" alloys, USB port, and a few other features that the Touring does. So it will take me awhile to get used to a $21k Elantra.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Nice write-up, Backy. It remains to be seen what type of a role the pricing plays, as Hyundai has decided to keep things simple and roll out the Touring without having the cost leader trim, and every other trim in between; it has gone straight to the loaded version.

Side note, car prices continue to inflate regardless of the times. You've got your 21K Elantra, or your 26K Mazda3.
    Yes, there's been price inflation, but in this terrible car market there's some really nice new cars available for $15-16k, and slightly used ones for $10k and up. I think it might be harder for Hyundai to get people to go for an over-$20k Elantra than to ante up over $30k for a Genesis. Especially with the over-$20k Elantra sitting next to a very nice Sonata GLS at around $15k, or a Tucson or Santa Fe well under $20k, after rebates and discounts.
  • bryan_05bryan_05 Member Posts: 16
    Touring now available in Chicago, but I must say sticker shock here as well. I was going to trade in my Civic for this, but not at $21k!

From Patrick Hyundai...

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring SPORTWAGON
    * BRAND NEW MODEL*
    Stock Number: H7313
    YOUR PRICE is $20,995- Auto Show Special!
    PREMIUM SPORT PKG, MATS, BLUETOOTH
    Hyundai must be listening to you. How many Tourings have you seen at your local dealers? ;)

Six.

They sold two. Which is not too bad, since sales are terrible in general.
    Side note, car prices continue to inflate regardless of the times. You've got your 21K Elantra, or your 26K Mazda3.

$23,850 MSRP for Mazda3 hatch Grand Touring automatic with Moonroof, Bose, Leather, Xenon lights. Current best price for this vehicle si $21 to $21,5K

Joe, How the heck did you arrive at $26K for a Mazda3?

Unless you are referring to a MazdaSpeed 3, which is NOT a good comparison to the Elantra Touring.

Being a Hyundai fan I'd still have to take the Mazda when the Touring is about $21K.
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    Considering that I can buy a new '09 Fusion or for that matter a Sedona for $16,500 locally, the Elantra Touring won't be on my shopping list.
    MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door: $21,845
    Destination Fee: $670
    MOONROOF/6CD/BOSE PACKAGE: $1,335
    NAVI AND SAT. RADIO PKG: $1,950
    PEARL PAINT CHARGE: $200

Total MSRP: $26,000

There are still other options that can be added
    Does the Grand Touring have leather? I do know the Elantra touring does not have a Bose stereo or factory nav (or leather). When comparing other cars to the Elantra Touring, let's compare apples to apples.
    I was talking moreso on the general pricing structure than the specifics.
    So long as that is a Touring A/T with Preimum-Sport package, looks like they are selling it at MSRP, assuming mats are priced at $200 :)

http://www.hyundainews.com/Media_Kits/2009_Models/Elantra_Touring/Pricing.asp
    How much is Navigation in the Elantra Touring?
    Yes the Grand Touring has leather and heated seats for the pricing in my post.
    And you are right, it is not an apples to apples comparison at the pricing listed in Joes post.

I'm going to drive the Touring this week.
    Starts at about $100 and goes up from there... for a portable unit. Factory nav not available on the Elantra Touring, at least not in the U.S.
  • beckpeabeckpea Member Posts: 2
    i just bought a 2009 hyundai elantra GLS automatic. it has 150 km on it at the moment. yesterday i took it out and when i went from park to drive the gear didn't shift. i pressed the accelerator and the engine just revved because it was still in park. after it finally shifted into reverse and i pulled out of my parking space, i shifted into drive and again, it stayed in reverse. the transmission bumped into drive after about 5 or 6 seconds, but it was enough to cause concern. this hasn't happened before and after those two times, it didn't happen again. the car had been sitting outside in my parking space for two days and during those two days the temperature had dropped to about -35 or -40 celcius. should i be concerned? is this normal for such extreme temperatures? i read in the manual that i should expect a few hiccups from the engine when first breaking it in. is this what they were referring to? if anyone could shed some light that would be great. it's the first car i've ever owned and i really want to take the best care of it as possible.

thanks!
    How long did you let the car warm up after sitting for 2 days in that cold weather? Automatics are hydraulic, so it could be it's just a matter of the fluid taking a little time to warm up. Keep an eye on it, but if it doesn't happen under more normal circumstances I wouldn't worry about it.
  • beckpeabeckpea Member Posts: 2
    thanks for your reply! i actually didn't let it warm up for very long. how long should i let it sit for before i start to drive away?
    At least 30 seconds in cold weather, but with a car that has sat for 2 days in real cold weather, I would probably let it warm up a little longer than that. Also, when I first shift into D or R I would pause a couple of seconds before actually moving off. Think how you would feel if someone wanted you to "get going" after sitting in -35 to -40 for a couple of days! ;)
  • cerkel1cerkel1 Member Posts: 7
    Please help!! I am getting an Elantra GLS with just the basics ( I am that kind of car owner!). There are a few 2008's available and of course the 2009's are abit more expensive. Is there any reason why I should get one year versus the other esp. if I want the best deal possible. Both my sons own Elantra's, a 2004 and 2006 and I am sure that is the car I want. Also, if I decide to get the 2009 is there a way to get a better deal by telling the dealer I'll judt get the 2008 cause it's cheaper! Thanks so much
    At this point, no advantage for the 2009 vs. 2008, assuming you are willing to accept the steeper short-term depreciation for a 2008 vs. a 2009 (over the long run, it won't matter much). There are a few small changes for 2009 on the GLS, but they are "late availability" so it's unlikely they are on cars on lots now.

Be sure to check the build date and miles on the 2008s--some may have been used extensively as demos, or have been sitting on the lot awhile. You can use that in your negotiating.

Advice: don't tell a dealer you'll go for the 2008 unless you are willing to do that.
    Thanks for answering my question, I appreciate it. I do have a question regarding purchasing the 2008 Elantra. Even if I agree that the price they are offering is a fair priced, based on what Edmunds says the TMV is for that vehicle how can I negotiate for a better deal even when, so far, that is the lowest I have gotten, AND the dealer might know he is offering the best deal? And are you saying that if the car was built earlier I could negotiate, but who's to tell me the truth on that or can I check myself?Thanks in advance if you can help)
    "How to negotiate for a better deal" is a long discussion, but there's some discussions in Town Hall on that subject. The general principle is, the dealer determines what they will sell the car for. You have to decide if you want to buy the car at that price. The idea is to see how low the dealer is willing to go. It might be TMV, it might be less, it might be more. You won't know unless you compare prices at multiple dealers. Also, you can use tactics such as telling the dealer you are ready to buy the car RIGHT NOW for $X, where $X is significantly lower than their offer. If they say "no", you can shake hands and walk out the door. If they don't go after you, you have gone below their lowest price. Of course, if they say "yes" then you have bought yourself a car!

It might be best to have someone with you whom you trust and who is experienced at negotiating for cars. Otherwise the dealers will have a big advantage.

The manufacture date (month/year) is on a sticker on the driver's side of the car. I forget its exact location on the 2008 Elantra, but look inside the driver's door, on the door itself or on the B pillar.
    Thank-you so much, you really have been so kind and a great help..
  • bricknordbricknord Member Posts: 85
    Considering an Elantra SE ( 2009 ). I've seen somewhere on the web that the radio lighting does not dim with the rest of the dash. Is this the case? I like to dim my dash lights down when traveling highways at night, and one of my pet peeves is when you are on a remote stretch of road at night and the car's dash lights are turned up real high and glaring. If anyone can, no pun intended, shed some light on this issue as it relates to the Elantra, I'd appreciate it.
    I have driven the 2007-8 Elantras at night, on dark roads, and didn't notice any issue with the lighting from the radio, so I think it must have dimmed. It's possible the 2009 radio is different, but it would be very, very odd for the radio display not to dim. That can be one thing you can check when you take the car for a test drive. Many dealers are open until 9 pm or so, so stop by one night after dark and check out the dash lighting.
  • bricknordbricknord Member Posts: 85
    Thanks, I'll probably do that. Thought there might be enough people with significant seat time in an Elantra who may have insight on this here.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    hi folks,iam interested in a 09 elantra and after doing some reasearch on the 06-08 model years elantra i have noticed from the owners reviews that some of the speedometers on these cars are off by as much as 10 mph.i would find this to be real annoying and this would definitly hamper my decision as to whether to purchase a elantra or not.anyone care to shed some light on this subject?
    I recently drove a 2009 Elantra GLS on a round trip from Seattle to Vancouver, with a little driving around Vancouver. It had about 34k miles on it and had the automatic with preferred package and moonroof. It was a good companion for the trip: generally comfortable, smooth, and quiet, with the only problem being considerable tire noise on rough (worn) asphalt highways. Other than some spots on the driver's seat and a big scratch on the rear bumper, the car looked remarkably good for a rental with 34k miles on it. No rattles/squeaks either. It handled and tracked well and had plenty of power for the mostly flat terrain, with a few hills. However, I noticed the front tires were quite worn--to the point of needing replacement very soon I think. The rears were better off. Maybe they were not rotated on a regular basis. I got 36 mpg (measured at the pump and assumes the tank was full when I left the airport) on the trip, which exceeds the EPA highway number even though the trip included a day of driving around Vancouver and a lot of idling at the border crossings. I stuck pretty close to the posted speeds on the trip on I-5/Hwy 99, as I heard that the Washington State troopers are quite the vigilant bunch.
  • jwo122jwo122 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2009 elantra se about six months ago and i'm getting 13.2 mpg, or at least that's what the gauge reads. Right away the car seemed to be using a lot of fuel so after a full tank fill-up i set the trip meter. Currently the gas tank is a half a notch above empty and there is only 156.1 miles on the trip meter. The car is used mostly for city driving, mostly to and from work and around town. The car currently has about 330 miles on it (5 miles at time of purchase) and has already gone through about two full tanks, i've checked the tire pressure and they're normal, 32 psi. Has anyone else had the same problem? i've read that earlier models have this issue just not as bad. This car should be getting 25 mpg in city and 33 mpg highway. Could this be covered under the lemon car law?
  • justloujustlou Member Posts: 35
    In the 6 months you've owned the car, have you taken it in for service on the issue? You should be getting twice the MPG you're getting. I can't imagine the car is running very well if it's using as much gas as it seems. My wife's Elantra gets over 25MPG on almost all city driving.
  • hstepienhstepien Member Posts: 6
    I just got a new Elantra Touring 2 weeks ago and I know that you have to be careful breaking in the engine. Could poor gas mileage be one of the results of not doing it properly? :) My dealer told me that I shouldn't use cruise control until after 1500 km; rather keep the higher speeds fluctuating between 80 to 110 km/hr ( In Canada we are metric: 50 - 70 mph). :)
  • brian105brian105 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 elantra with 23,800 miles, and when I first got my oil changed at the dealer, they had a recall to recalibrate the speedometer. Please go to your dealer to have them recalibrate it.
  • jwo122jwo122 Member Posts: 2
    i made a little mistake while posting this message, i had the car for six weeks and not six months, i would appreciate any input or advise. the empty tank light came on today and the trip meter was at around 160 miles since the last fill up. WTF! is the car just too new? my last car was a 2001 mazda 626 that only got 19mpg but a full tank lasted a week to 2 weeks longer, the tank size was only 2 gallons more then the elantra.
  • brian105brian105 Member Posts: 2
    I would seriously take the car to the dealer and have it looked at, Because I have 2007 elantra and now have 23850 miles, but from day one I was getting 25-27 mpg in city and 33-36 on the hwy. In fact I just went on a small trip of 180 miles and using the a/c in 100+ temps and still got 36 mpg because it was mostly hwy. Getting 160 for just one tank is utterly rediculous and should be looked at. You should be getting around 24 mpg city and 32-33 hwy.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    That almost sounds like the fuel pump problem that some of the 08 models had though by now that should have been corrected in the 09 model. I'd definitely take it to the dealer as something isn't right.
  • rhickey516rhickey516 Member Posts: 2
    I can buy a new 2009 Elantra for less than $10K. The car has a stick shift, which is fine, but no radio. How is the manual on this car? and What does "...radio prep with 4 speakers." mean? I'm guessing that there are actual speakers provided and the radio has to be installed either by the dealer or an electronics store. Also, are the speakers decent?
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    Radio prep means the car is pre-wired--not sure if Hyundai includes an antenna or not. Assuming they have, when you have picked out a stereo head unit, you should basically be able to pop out the little blank panel, bolt the head unit to a bracket, plug in the wiring clip and slide the whole thing into the dash. I've never done it on a Hyundai, but it's pretty simple on other cars. Maybe an hour's work in the driveway, I'd say, based on my previous experience.

Some electronics stores such as Crutchfield will throw in the bracket/installation kit, the wiring adapter, and the instructions for free. But if you choose to have the installation done professionally, the "radio prep" means they won't be digging around in all the car's plastic trim to run the wires.
    On a stick shift, it's best to drive it yourself and see what you think. I think the stick has a nice light clutch feel and decent throws, but what I think and what you think could be totally different--and I'm not the one driving your car!

If the car doesn't have a radio, it also doesn't have AC... but you probably knew that. I didn't have AC on my car until I moved to Houston in 1982. I sold my old car before moving and bought one with AC down there. Glad I did! One thing to consider, depending on how long you plan to keep this car.. you might not want/need AC, but lots of other folks do.
  • rhickey516rhickey516 Member Posts: 2
    It has A/C, just no radio. The last manual I drove was an '03 A4 quattro. I liked the way that felt and drove it for 3 years until the warranty was up and all hell started breaking loose. I'm just worried that this might not feel right to me. I will definitely test drive it for sure.
  • cyndie1030cyndie1030 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2009 Hyundai Elantra GLS this week. The dealer told me that my Apple cable for my iPod would work in the USB connector in the Elantra. The manual says that won't work but I tried it and it reads it but it won't show the song name, just the File name. And my iPod shows Do Not Disconnect until I turn the car completely off, so I would not be able to take the iPod out if I were driving. So now I'm thinking maybe I should order the Hyundai USB/Aux cable. But on the Hyundai Accessory Store shows the USB on the left side and the Aux on the right and lists the Elantra Touring but not the Elantra as compatible cars. I'm not sure this cable will work then in the Elantra GLS. Any one else with a GLS able to hook up an iPod with this cable? Many thanks!!
  • 09elantraowner09elantraowner Member Posts: 18
    I don't have an iPOD, but rather a "standard" MP3 player and was looking forward to connecting it to my radio either through the USB or "Aux" input. Then it occurred to me - why bother? I just copied everything off of my MP3 to my Jump drive and plugged it right into the USB opening and it worked perfectly - I just use the "seek" button to switch between songs... :shades:

Now since all the radio will "read" are MP3 extensions, all I have to do is download some software to convert my audio books to MP3 format and I'm ready to go...
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    A few links to whet your appetite for the upcoming 2010 Elantra Blue model...

Hyundai Blog

Hyundai News

There is some pricing, content and fuel mileage info at each so enjoy your reading. ;)
    Having trouble with the Hyundai News link.

This contradicts other info I've seen that says the Elantra Blue will be available only with a stick.

I am a little disappointed that this Blue edition doesn't measure up to what Kia did with their "high fuel economy" version of the Forte, e.g. include a 5-speed automatic. But it's better than nothing.
  • transonicshocktransonicshock Member Posts: 1
    yeah, I have a similar concern. My concern is that SE won't be available with stick shift. I don't understand the 'sporty' version with no manual.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Having trouble with the Hyundai News link.

Here's the actual link

http://hyundainews.com/Media_Kits/2010_Models/Elantra/Press_Release.asp
This discussion has been closed.