Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Hyundai Elantra

12346»

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Still won't open. Maybe their site is down.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    It works for me from both posts.
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    I'm disappointed about two things--the fact that there won't be a manual transmission on any Elantra except the Blue, and the fact that the automatic is still a four-speed. I came pretty close to buying an Elantra Touring this summer, and the four-speed automatic was the main reason I didn't.
    Yes, it's working for me today too. Probably a temporary site problem. Thanks.
    The 4-speed is disappointing to me too. The Hyundai press release makes it clear the "Blue" trim is only a stick. The blog entry made it look like Blue was available with an AT.

But the biggest thing I am disappointed about is the poor safety features of the 2010 Elantra. Hyundai used to taut the safety features of their cars (and they still do), and at one time they were pioneers, e.g. the 2006 Sonata was the first "family car" to have ESC standard on every trim, and for 2006 even the low-end Accent sedan had ABS standard. But now the Elantra trails the competition, in crash safety and active safety. Even for 2010, only the top-end SE has stability control. Yet the 2010 Corolla and even the low-bucks Yaris have stability control standard on all models. The Forte has standard ESC, as do several other compacts. But not the Elantra. What are they waiting for? :confuse:

Edit: I think the SE does come available with a stick. Here's a quote from the Hyundai press release:

The sport-oriented SE adds all the equipment in the GLS plus ESC with Traction Control and Brake Assist, 16-inch alloy wheels with 205/55R16 tires, sport-tuned steering and suspension, leather shift knob, telescoping leather-wrapped steering wheel, steering wheel audio controls, B&M shifter and trip computer.

I don't think they'd bother with a B&M shifter on a slushbox. ;)
  • don32322don32322 Member Posts: 2
    I've been proud owner of new 2009 Elantra for an entire 12 hours. Having put about 150 on it I have a nagging concern (other than mpg which I will do a wait-and-see). The car has an ESP system which, apparently, increases the "weight" on the steering as the car gains speed. However, after having driving on the highway for 150 miles, my arm is tired. And I'm not a whimp. There is nothing on the forum about this - so I'm not sure if it is an issue, my imagination or just the "way it is" with the car. If that is the way it is, I have make a big mistake on my purchase, as it is REAL heavy - I've had cars withOUT power steering that drive easier. I will take it back and tell them about it at my first service, but want to ask here if anyone else has noticed anything like this.

Thanks in advance for the info. Has been VERY informative reading this forum as I was car shopping.
  • joegiantjoegiant Member Posts: 90
    don, as for your mpg, at only 150 miles you DEFINITELY need to "wait and see" as the current reading is not in any way indicative of what you will be getting once the thing breaks in a bit. We've got about 3,450 miles on our '09 automatic Elantra SE odometer (probably 85% highway commuting miles) thus far and the computer is reading 33.4 mpg currently. Believe you me, from the get-go, it didn't start out that way and I had a "nagging concern" as well. Very happy to have seen that sinking feeling I had dispelled after a couple tank fillups at the ol' gas station.

As for your steering, ours works great. Car handles smoothly enough at all speeds. In fact, the interior is a bit too BIG when it comes to resting my arm on the window sill or arm rest. Our older '05 GT is a tad tighter in the driver compartment and thus a certain "feeling" of where body parts are supposed to go when driving. Still adjusting to the spacial logistics of the new car. ;)

Hope your "feel of the wheel" dials in and the car turns out to be a good one. Can't hurt to have 'em look at it and see if you've got a warranty adjustment in store. Good luck!
  • hstepienhstepien Member Posts: 6
    Hi there,
    I had an Elantra GT from 2006 until this past July. Then I got the 2009 Elantra Touring. I definitely noticed a difference in the steering. It is much stiffer. I have 2850 km and, rather than it really getting looser, I am just getting used to it.

This model of Touring has the telescoping steering wheel, which I have never had before. At first, I didn't really care about it, but then I decided to use it. My legs are long but my torso is shorter and I never could really get close enough to the steering before (without squashing my knees) and so I would just drive with my hands in my lap at the bottom of the wheel. I can't do that now because the steering is too stiff. However, with the telescoping steering, I can now bring the wheel closer to me. I have done this to now hold it in both hands, which I haven't done in almost 35 years of driving! I don't really mind because the steering wheel feels neat in my hands - it is much thicker and has a nice molded shape to it.

I'll have to see if it loosens as time goes by. Hope this helps,
    The dealer can check the steering calibration, but this is actually how the steering is supposed to work: loose at low speeds, e.g. for parking or sharp turns, and firmer at driving speeds. I've driven the 2007+ Elantra on some long-distance trips and thought the steering feel was fine. I am used to using two hands on the wheel, however.

BTW, this is how most modern power steering systems work--variable resistance at different speeds.
    FYI, we can discuss the 2010 Elantra here: backy, "2010 Hyundai Elantra" #2, 27 Sep 2009 2:58 pm.

Thanks for the kick-off, backy. :)
  • xiaomanxiaoman Member Posts: 8
    2010 Elantra Touring, manual, no other options, OTD 15,000. I live in northern virginia. Is this a good deal? How much more can I negotiate? Shall I ask for a 2009 model instead (somehow I thought the 2009 model is better)? Thank you very much.
    You found the best place for this question here: xiaoman, "Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience" #3227, 30 Sep 2009 8:08 am. Let's ask anyone who can help to meet you there! :)
  • bbb99bbb99 Member Posts: 58
    How are people liking their car? MPG? Is the gauge pretty close to your actual calculated mpg?
  • don32322don32322 Member Posts: 2
    I like it quite a lot. Have only 3k miles on it. Only 2 gripes - not large things. First is that the road noise is VERY bad, but I knew what I was getting. Second thing is that the instrument panel lights - at their dimmest - are VERY glary on tired eyes. They should go much lower. Small thing, I know.

The MPG indicator is a touch over what I really get, but I think it is a good relative look at what you are getting versus how you are driving. I get city/road about 32.5 overall. I can't complain a bit.
    My 2009 Elantra touring has 12k after 14 months. According to the dealer brake maintenance is suggested at 24 k or 1 year. What do you think? Do I need maintenance?
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    edited September 2010
    Ignore dealer recommendations. Check the owner's manual and use its recommendations.

What kind of "brake maintenance" is the dealer recommending anyway?

For more info, take a look at Edmunds' maintenance page.
    probably buffing the disks to get any rust off; the pads are OK because they were checked earlier. I went ahead and did the tire rotation and wheel balancing. I left it at that. I checked your link re: maintenance. It looks great ! Thanks sooooooo much.
  • polemitepolemite Member Posts: 2
    Does the hyundai elantra have a gasket on the oil plug? Thanks for your help
    Yes. Why do you ask? Doesn't yours have one??
  • polemitepolemite Member Posts: 2
    No mine doesn't have a gasket on it. I will get one today. Thanks for you help
  • joegiantjoegiant Member Posts: 90
    At 35k on our '09 Elantra SE commuter car, the gauge is reading 34.1mpg. 80% hwy miles. All FWIW.
This discussion has been closed.