Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Hyundai Elantra

aneeshaneesh Member Posts: 43
edited August 2014 in Hyundai
I am excited about this car, the sketch looks nice......resembles the PORTICO concept, especially in the rear.

I am, however, disappointed that it will use the same 2.0 engine instead of all-aluminium 2Liter engine with more horsepower (at least 155)

They should at least offer a 6 speed manual

Comments

• joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248

HYUNDAI ANNOUNCES NAME OF FUTURE FIVE-DOOR
    ALL-NEW 2009 ELANTRA TOURING MOVES A POPULAR NAMEPLATE IN A SPORTIER, MORE FUNCTIONAL DIRECTION
    TRAVERSE CITY, Mich., 08/08/2007 Hyundai Motor America Vice President of Product Development and Strategic Planning John Krafcik, speaking at the Center of Automotive Research Management Briefing Seminars, announced Hyundai’s all-new five-door compact will be named “Elantra Touring.” Elantra Touring will reach dealers in the spring of 2008 as a 2009 model year vehicle. The “Touring” name captures this all-new model’s combination of high-function and fun-to-drive character. Elantra Touring will once again extend Elantra’s product line into the compact five-door segment. (The previous generation also featured a sporty five-door model). Elantra Touring will come with class-leading standard safety technologies, including Electronic Stability Control (ESC) with Traction Control, ABS with Electronic Brake-force Distribution, and six standard airbags, including side curtain airbags and active front head restraints. The vehicle will be the first compact five-door with standard Electronic Stability Control.[1]

Elantra Touring will have the most interior volume (passenger volume plus cargo space) of any five-door in its class and will be powered by the same fuel-efficient 2.0-liter, in-line four-cylinder found in the Elantra sedan. This newest Hyundai will also feature unique sport suspension and steering tuned for greater response and handling, while offering Hyundai’s first USB port, along with a standard auxiliary jack and standard XM Satellite Radio®. Elantra Touring’s competition will include the Toyota Matrix, Dodge Caliber and Mazda3.

http://www.hyundainews.com/Corporate_News/Corporate/08_08_2007_2297.asp

Looks more sporty than the i30, based on the sketch...
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Cool! The standard ESC and sport suspension/steering are welcome. Looks like a worthy successor to the Elantra GT. If the cost is reasonable and IIHS side crash results are good, it could very well be my next car (and my daughter's future car).

Note that the press release avoids the term "wagon" and the rendering does look more streamlined than the wagon that was announced earlier. I'm wondering if HMA has changed direction and will import the 5-door hatchback instead of the 5-door wagon?
    Ditto. This looks very promising!! In addition to the array of standard safety features, I'm glad to hear usb, aux, and xm as well.

I am intrigued to see the actual thing. I have some telling me this maybe different than the i30 in Europe (so it may not just be replacing the i30 badge and simply slapping it with Elantra Touring). As I said in my previous post, the sketch looks different than the i30 (more sporty). Of course, it is a sketch, we shall see...

By the way, I am glad HMA is keeping Elantra in the name.
    I kind of wish they had kept the Elantra GT moniker, but I suppose "Touring" is more appropriate since there is no upgrade in power. I thought maybe Hyundai would give the U.S. a GT variant of the Elantra with this generation, maybe with the 2.4L engine from the Sonata or Hyundai's version of the 2.0L engine already in use by Chrysler, with more power than the Beta II engine. But it looks like that won't happen, at least not right away.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Expect a rebadged Kia C'eed.

It should look nice.
    The vehicle will be the first compact five-door with standard Electronic Stability Control.

Maybe some hyperbole on HMA's part. How about the xB? Unless Hyundai is excluding it from "5-door compact five-doors."
    Isn't the new xB larger than "compact" now?
    So is the Elantra when it comes down to it, by interior volume. I doubt the xB is much longer than the Elantra Touring. Marketeers categorize things as best suits them. ;)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I was thinking of the Kia C'eed as I viewed the pictures of the Hyundai Elantra Touring. I wonder if the new Kia C'eed will have the ever-so-important ESC feature that so many are having thrombo's over these days?

BTW-if you couldn't tell I don't see the intense need for ECS. My '08 Lancer GTS doesn't have it, although it is stock full of seveal other safety features, including whiplash-control headrests and side curtain airbags and side airbags. I even have a driver's knee airbag(as my trade-in, a '01 Kia Sportage 4X4 also had!). One of those features that, if just the right angle of collision occurred, would treat you right, eh?

Both of these rigs looks promising and if my Lancer GTS wasn't so new and I put more miles on it, I would take a look at each of them.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

image">

Actually, it's probably not the Touring. The Touring is most likely the 5-door Elantra wagon that was announced several weeks ago. The most telltale sign that the Touring is the wagon is in the window behind the C pillar--the shape of that window in the artist's sketch is like that on the wagon, not like that of the hatchback in the photos you shared.

Also I doubt we'll get all the features shown in those photos, e.g. auto climate control.
  • musadomusado Member Posts: 3
    It is called I-30 in Korea. The name sounds like an interstate name, and that's probably why they just named it Elantra touring. Hyundai has officially announced that it will sell I30 in US as Elantra Touring. The touring is designed, developed and produced in Europe. I heard that it drives much like Volkswagen Golf and other european hatchbacks. I-30(the touring) and its sibling Kia Ceed are selling well in Europe, I heard. The touring should be pretty good.
    Just as an aside, the new naming scheme is designed for the European markets but never really factored for the North American markets. IIRC, the i stands for innovation, and 30 is the size of the vehicle with respect to the class it belong, like the i20 will soon replace Getz when the new version debuts.

Correct me if I am mistaken but I think in S. Korea, they are only calling this new car i30 (I've also heard of FD for its internal code name) but the rest of the lineup will be saved with its original name (i.e. Getz will still be Getz, which I think it's called the Click in the local market)
    Yes, that's the one, the I30. Here's a photo in an earlier post:

tenpin288, "2007 Hyundai Elantra" #1432, 23 Apr 2007 2:49 pm

Note the resemblance of the rear side windows to those in the artist's conception.

Are you saying that the Elantra Tourings we get will be built in Europe and not in the ROK? The Ceed got a very positive review from one of the car mags recently, it was either C/D or MT. About the only thing they didn't like was the name. :)
  • herotakesafallherotakesafall Member Posts: 103
    I'm just assuming that's what we're gonna get -- the i30 wagon with minimal exterior changes. The feature list is what's drawing me in (I really want an affordable hatch with stability control, which is a lot to ask of the current market, apparently) but I wish it looked more like the Cee'd. That's the looker in my opinion.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Thanks for starting this. As you can see, I moved some recent posts from the 07 Elantra discussion here to help get started. Enjoy!
  • doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    Basically the concept to me looks like the i30 with an update. I hope we get the hatch but previous releases have stated the NA market will get the wagon.
  • jimityjimity Member Posts: 10
    Got it last night driving home:

2009 Elantra Touring Video

James
    So this is based on the i30, right? Is it the wagon or the hatch verson?
  • luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    The 2007 4 and 5 door s Touring and s Grand Touring trims come with standard Dynamic Stability Control. Not available with the i or s Sport.
  • lumpsterlumpster Member Posts: 1
    Are you all blind? Its a Kia Rondo.
    Ummm, no, it's NOT a Rondo

Rondo does not have the high taillight setup:

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    to prove a point, joe97. It is a 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring and not a 2007 Kia Rondo.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    The new Elantra Touring is interesting, but one thing Hyundai really needs to address is the engine and transmission. The Beta II engine is really past its prime, and Hyundai needs a new engine for the Elantra. Fuel efficiency or smoothness is not on par with other engines in its class. And, the car cries out for a well-matched 5-speed automatic instead of the current 4-speed.

A move to an all aluminum engine (the Beta II uses an aluminum head, but still uses a cast-iron block), and a timing chain, in lieu of the timing belt, would be nice.

It's all well and good that Hyundai develops new bodies and chassis, but a new engine is past due for this model.

Re. the comparison to the Kia Rondo (known as the Carens in Europe). It's been widely discussed by Europeans that Hyundai was rolling out its comparable model soon. It is very much like the Rondo we get here in the USA, regardless of what others say. The high tailight setup is only a minor tweak, and helps differentiate it from the Kia. But, the chassis mechanicals are very, very similar to the current generation Rondo/Carens. The Rondo we get here in the USA is the 3rd generation Carens.

Hyundai corporate tends to roll out new designs first with Kia. In fact, many of the underpinnings of the chassis and structural design of the 2007 Elantra sedan were first done with the current Kia Spectra generation. The current Spectra is NOT a design equivalent to the previous generation Elantra. Interesting isn't it on how and why Hyundai corporate does this.
    Hyundai already has a new line of I4 all-aluminum engines. It is surprising to me that they haven't made more use of them (except the 2.4L I4) in the U.S. Maybe they want to be sure about the reliability of the new engines before bringing them here, to the land of the 10-year powertrain warranty?
    Hyundai Elantra Touring Beach Cruiser Concept

Unfortunately, it looks like the US market is getting the wagon and not the hatch version of the i30. I might buy the hatch; the wagon is highly doubtful for me. If you strip off the paint job and the lowering springs, you have a very bland people mover along the lines of the Kia Rondo (although probably not even as big as the Rondo).
    Besides a little larger back side window, and a little more length in the back (and a bigger cargo area), I don't see a lot of difference in appearance between the hatch and wagon. The hatch may look a little sportier, but the wagon will be more versatile. I like the looks of the Elantra touring much better than those of the Rondo. The Rondo looks a lot bigger and chunkier than the Touring, like a small minivan instead of a small wagon. I doubt the Touring will have a 3rd row seat, like the Rondo, but I don't need a 3rd seat as I already have a minivan when I need that many seats.
    The timing is a bit too early for a facelift but saw a shot of an Elantra with a different front. Looks like a preparation of an auto show:

http://autopic.sohu.com/auto_images/piclib/85/11/Img1201185.JPG

Saw it here: http://www.carspyshots.net/zerothread?id=19235&page=27
  • inharmswayinharmsway Member Posts: 153
    I talked to a Hyundai dealer today, and was told that the 5-door should be in the showroom in February. I hope he is right.

Niels
  • duckhunter1duckhunter1 Member Posts: 9
    Looks pretty nice!!

http://www.elantratouring.ca/
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    I wonder how this compares to what we'll get in the U.S.? For example, will it offer the auto climate control here (I doubt it), and will it have ESC standard (I recall seeing something about that in an earlier announcement)?
    I actually hope that it will not have the automatic climate control. On in our family has that, and it seems rather complicated. I think it was Hyundai who said it would have ESC as standard. Only car to have it for under $15000. An earlier photo shows the Touring with a luggage rack, and that looks much sportier imo. Can't wait to see the real thing.
    You are talking about under $15,000 after discounts/rebates, right? I doubt the Elantra Touring will start at under $15k with the equipment that has been described in Hyundai press releases. I figure it will go for at least $17k with the MT, maybe a little more since the SE sedan starts at just under $17k including destination.
    Backy. I saw it on Edmunds.$13995 incl. $600 dest. for the GLS and $15000 for the Touring. Google 2009 Elantra Touring.
    Maybe Hyundai will have a GLS and a SE Touring model.
    Niels
    $17K MSRP may be too high to be competitive against Matrix and Vibe as they are both LOWERING their prices for the 2009 models due next month.
    OK, I thought we were talking about an Elantra Touring that will have ESC and alloys standard, i.e. equipped similar to the SE sedan. If there is a version of the Touring under $15k, and it has ESC/traction standard (unlike the base sedan), that will be an incredible bargain. I wonder if that means that Hyundai will add ESC standard to the GLS sedan for 2009?
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    I don't understand what is complicated about auto cliamte controll. My '05 Sonata has it and it's simple. Just push the up or down bottom to set it at the desired temperature. There also a mode button to determine what vents are desired for the air flow.

Very simple.

Driving north from Florida in April with the temp set at 75*, the A/C was on lightly. Later in the day and further north, the heat was on. Outside temp was 40 something in Fayetteville, NC when I pulled into a motel for the night. The car's interior temp remained constant without me having to change any settings.
    I guess I did not drive the car with auto climate system enough to know quite how to use it.
    Will it arrive in the USA.
    Besides a little larger back side window, and a little more length in the back (and a bigger cargo area), I don't see a lot of difference in appearance between the hatch and wagon.

This are some pretty major styling differences to me. The hatch lines are sporty, the wagon lines scream SOCCER MOM.

The hatch may look a little sportier, but the wagon will be more versatile.

The hatch is plenty versatile for what I need.

I like the looks of the Elantra touring much better than those of the Rondo. The Rondo looks a lot bigger and chunkier than the Touring, like a small minivan instead of a small wagon.

The Rondo has some really unfortunate sheet metal; it's hard to imagine anything plainer. Even if you could convince yourself "plain" equals "clean", the effect is ruined as soon as you put a passenger in the back seat and the thing sags to the ground in back. I've driven a Rondo and would consider buying one over the Elantra Touring if it was just a littler more stylish and if they had slightly stiffer springs in the rear (or at least lines that would visually minimize the effect of the rear sag). The Rondo somes with a larger engine than the Elantra Touring and even has a V6 option. That's what was in the rental I had. For a big, boxy vehicle, the ride and handling were very good. The interior was better than anything I've seen in an American car lately. It just looks like doo-doo on the outside.

I wonder how this compares to what we'll get in the U.S.? For example, will it offer the auto climate control here (I doubt it), and will it have ESC standard (I recall seeing something about that in an earlier announcement)?

My understanding is that the Touring is not just a body style, it's a high-line trim level, comparable to when the Elantra hatch was released as a GT-only model. I think it will have lots of goodies. It may be that they will decontent it down the road and sell it as an Elantra GLS Wagon or something, but I think the Touring moniker is more about the bells and whistles than the body style.
    This are some pretty major styling differences to me. The hatch lines are sporty, the wagon lines scream SOCCER MOM.

I very strongly disagree. This is not a minivan design and is not a SUV design.

Wagon, Estate, Shooting Brake, maybe, SOCCER MOM = NEVER.
    Chicago Auto Show
    Elantra Touring
    Looks like a good package. Apparently the States will get only one well-equipped version, akin to the SE sedan, with A/C, power package, telescopic wheel with audio controls, ESC and even adjustable lumbar standard. The release wasn't clear on whether the 16" alloys are standard (17" optional), but I expect they will be giving the "sporty" direction of the car.

I like that the sport shifter and suspension are standard, but I wonder how many stick cars will actually be available. A B&M sport shifter is standard in the Accent SE, but I have yet to see one on a dealer lot.

Price??? My guess is it will start at a little over the SE sedan's price, since it offers comparable content plus the sport suspension and shifter and a few other extra features like the lumbar support--$17,495 MSRP including destination maybe for a 5-speed?
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    Looking at the pictures I noticed that the tach red lines a 5K so it has to be a diesel. I hope they bring the diesel over here in '09. Make mine an SE with diesel please.
    Is the 2009 Elantra going to have this or not.
    There are rumors that's one of the reasons for the USB port (other than to play music from a USB drive).

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsautomotive/videos/FiatBlueAndMe/default.html
    Hyundai sometimes has good attention to detail in other cars like the 2009 Sonata, but they seem to have missed one thing that will prove very annoying.

They moved the AUX input from the lower console to inside the center armrest with the USB port.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/01/hyundaielantratouri- - - - ng8.jpg

Normally, that would be a good thing except that they failed to also move the power port.
    If you have a portable MP3 player or portable GPS that doesn't use that USB port for power, you will have to have to use both the power port and the AUX port and string the power cord across to the external power port. That will be unsightly with cables going both ways and will be a hassle to have to unplug the power port when you want to store everything out of sight.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/02/08chi_i3013.jpg

Compare it to the Sonata that has everything in the same location:
    Check out www.elantratouring.com
  • g_designerg_designer Member Posts: 18
    We got the wagon, not the hatch version. Oh well.
    It does have quite a sleek but anonymous look from the side. If the Volkwagen GTI got 4 doors and stretched out, it might look like this. It is most interesting from the front with the Honda like grill, wrap around headlights, and low air intake. Wheels are a little more up-to-date than the Elantra sedan.

But I kind of hoped it would look more like the Saturn Astra hatch (another European design), but if you look at the Astra wagon, it is A LOT less sporty than the hatch version, too. What is it about wagons? The sportiest looking wagon is still the Mazda3 imho. New Vibe exterior is all right, but the new Matrix looks overdone.

I was also hoping Hyundai would try to imitate the Vibe's completely flat folding rear seats and passenger side seat. That's the coolest, most well thought out part about that car. But it looks like your conventional fold down design.

Do the Canadians get pimpin' turn signals on the sideview mirrors and we don't?
    image That's a fun little option to offer...though I agree with another poster that Hyundai shouldn't abandon the bargain seekers...a decently equipped under-16K wagon would do well.

BTW the i30 hatch got a nice write up in the UK.

Chroncles of a Hyundai Owner
  • mondocanemondocane Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know when the Elantra Touring will start showing up Hyundai dealers?
This discussion has been closed.