Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Hyundai officials have been quoted as saying "by the end of this year" (e.g. at Chicago Auto Show) and "spring of 2008", which would be by late June (stated when the Touring was announced last August). So looks like it will be sometime this year, but just when is unclear. I hope it will be by October at the latest, as I need to get a new car by about that time.
  • hstepienhstepien Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2006 Elantra 5 door and go to my dealer regularly re: maintenance. I am in Canada and my dealer said they would be receiving them in the summer/ July probably.

:)
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Here is a link I came across that I thought others might be interested in seeing.
    link title
  • kentavos22kentavos22 Member Posts: 13
    I have an 2002 Elantra GT that I love. I'm considering trading it in to get a new Touring when they come out. Depends on how it looks in person and the price.
    While at my local auto show today I saw the 2009 Elantra Touring. It was on a platform so I couldn't sit in it, but I got a look inside. It was medium blue with black interior. It looked as good as if not better in person than in photos. Looks much like the Elantra SE inside, as we know from earlier photos.

I found out that, unfortunately, the rear seat doesn't fold flat as on the 2001-6 Elantra hatch. I asked a factory rep, and he looked at the seat bottom and said it didn't flip up. So there's no way for the rear seatbacks to lie flat--they're at an angle.

I also asked the rep when the car would be at dealers, and he said "fall or winter". When I expressed my disappointment at that, he shook his head and said, "Yep, that's when it will be here." :( Fortunately I really don't need to buy a car until later this year, but I was hoping it would be out sooner so the Feds and IIHS would have time to do their crash tests before I have to make a decision.
  • jjx456jjx456 Member Posts: 41
    Info and lots of pics (click on "Photo Gallery")

link title
  • jblevinjblevin Member Posts: 1
    no leather seats! I really like the leather seats in my '04 GT. Hopefully they will add this option for the 2010 model.
  • percussionistpercussionist Member Posts: 204
    In the pictures I saw, there were black leather seats for the Touring. Maybe I didn't see them properly? I have an 07 Limited, and the leather is awesome!
    I don't recall seeing leather on the Touring photos, and there was no mention of a leather option package for the Touring in HMA's press release. But it's always possible leather could be added as an option at some point, since it's already available on the SE.

Personally I would not have gotten leather on my '04 GT if I could have avoided it, but I wanted the hatch and the GT was the only way to get it back in 2004. Then in '05 I think, Hyundai introduced the GLS hatch with a really nice sport cloth interior, which I would have preferred over the leather.
  • jjx456jjx456 Member Posts: 41
    No pics, but Edmunds says leather will be available.

link title

Clarification: That link is Hyundai Canada, although it talks about "U.S. showrooms."
  • baltimore_jeffbaltimore_jeff Member Posts: 7
    Really thrilled at the chance to replace my '03 GT with a suitable replacement. I was disappointed that the Touring was stuck with the same 2.0l engine. It is a point that I think Hyundai is missing out on. In my opinion the Elantra is such a good car, and such a volume leader, that they really should extend the engine options.

I always felt that they should have taken better advantage of the 2.4l engine that is available in more than 6 other Hyundai/Kia models. With the Matrix offering multiple engines this year it certainly makes a lot of sense to me. The upcoming Jetta Sportwagen offers 2 engines, The 2.4l would allow for a real GT strata within the lineup.

I was also encouraged when I heard the Hyundai rep announce, at the New York Auto Show unveiling of the Genesis Coupe, that the turbocharged 2.0l was going to, and I quote, "...show up in a lot more vehicles in the near future." WOW! That would be a REAL GT! Would certainly allow the Elantra to move into a new level and command a higher price, which is what all automakers are after, right?

So, if Hyundai is listening, please give me an Elantra Touring, with the 2.0l turbocharged engine, 5-speed auto, tan leather interior, XM, and keep it under $20k. SOLD. And explain to me why Canada gets automatic climate control and we in the States apparently don't rate?

Looking forward to see what they have in store.
  • kentavos22kentavos22 Member Posts: 13
    I was just thinking how nice it would be to have the turbo 4 they're putting in the Genesis Coupe. Although, it really may be too much power for such a light car.
    It would be fun though.

I haven't heard anything in a while about pricing or release date. Any rumors or facts out there on the Touring model?
    No pricing info released yet. Hyundai factory rep told me at the Twin Cities Auto Show that cars would be in dealers in "late fall". If so, we won't see pricing for several months. My guesstimate is that it will run a little above SE pricing, due to some more content (e.g. sport suspension and shifter, lumbar adjuster).

The car itself is "fact", i.e. Hyundai's press release has lots of details, and it exists since I saw one at the auto show.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    The 2009 Elantra at the Bejing Auto Show looked to have very nice updates to me. I very much hope the body side moldings, front end and interior make it to the US.
    The best change is the body side moldings, but somehow I doubt we'll see them. The grille doesn't seem to fit the lines of the car, IMO--very sharp-edged on a very wavy car. The new rear lights are OK but I didn't have a problem with the old ones.

The interior is carry-over, from what I could tell. The pics show woodgrain trim, but there was a note that it would be only for the PRC market.

What I'd really like to see on the 2009 Elantra is a telescopic wheel standard on all trims, the USB port and lumbar adjuster that the Elantra Touring will get, and at least the option of ESC on the GLS.
  • inharmswayinharmsway Member Posts: 153
    Backy. I was wondering, would you know if it is possible to add aftermarket body side moldings to a new Elantra. I seem to recall I had it done to a Honda Civic about 30 years ago, but maybe it is no longer done. I think the Elantra looks "naked" without them.
    Sure it's possible. If the Hyundai dealer can't do it, a car accessories shop could. Just a matter of color matching. Probably pretty common now, with more new cars not including side moldings standard. Some cars, e.g. Camry, have them on the factory options list; others e.g. Accord have them as dealer-installed accessories.
    Thanks Backy.
    You sure know cars.
    It helps that I have a personal interest in the question you brought up, since I've been thinking about how I'd get moldings on an Elantra if I bought one. :)
    I was all set to buy an Elantra SE, but then I heard about the Touring with a more sporty ride, but the ride might be too hard, and then again I like to have a trunk. Back to the SE. Then I saw that the Elantra sedan coming out in China is different, and that the changes probably were coming to the States. Do I wait? Or should I get a SE now? As you can see it takes me a long time to make up my mind. My daily driver is a 1963 Volvo I bought new. My wife has a 2004 Elantra 5-door though which I like very much. The car and the wife. I will quit ranting now.
  • g_designerg_designer Member Posts: 18
    Any word whether the re-designed Elantra available this year in China only will make it into other markets next year? Looks a lot more "confident and expressive"(Hyundai PR's words regarding the 07 design) than the 2007...more aggressive, too.

This is actually made in China, not Korea, and has many luxury features not available on current models like wood trim and auto climate control. I probably wouldn't want a car made in China, just yet. But this design looks a lot more fun. Bring this here in '09 might steal Elantra Touring's spotlight, but I don't see a reason not trying to bring the refresh here as a 2010 model.
    I actually don't like the new grille--too sharp-edged for the rest of the car, IMO. And the current grille looks a lot like the grille on the 2009 Sonata, which gives the car some family resemblence. But I like the idea of side moldings being available (although they're too low to do a lot of good), and I think the SE should have the firmer suspension like the old GT did.

I heard something interesting today at my local Hyundai dealer when I took my '04 GT in to get a headlamp bulb replaced under warranty. The sales rep I talked to said that the 2009 Elantras would be arriving "very soon", and he seemed a bit surprised at that but was adamant about it. So I wonder if Hyundai is moving up the release of the 2009 Elantras from the usual fall timeframe? The factory rep I talked to a few weeks ago at my local auto show said that the Elantra Touring wouldn't be coming until late 2008.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Thanks for trying, but both #75 and 76 are messed up to the point they are not legible. Guess the pictures did the trick.. too bad.!! It looks like it would be very interesting.
    van
    Odd--I can see 75 and 76 perfectly fine. :confuse:
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I guess they wanted to make sure their ads are never blocked by photos, so the ads encroach into the message text to make sure they still fit even if someone posts photos that are too big.
    Too bad they can't automatically resize photos to fit like I've seen in some other forums.
  • g_designerg_designer Member Posts: 18
    Family resemblance is good, but ---funny --- I was thinking that maybe the Elantra (and the Azera) should've maybe followed the 2006 Sonata grill, which is more like some previous Acuras. I think it is a little less generic than the chrome bars, which just remind me so much of Corolla and Camry from a few years back. Anyway it seems Hyundai is hesitant to stick to a common design motif. Unless they find a good one, I am probably fine with it, that they keep their options open. Sometimes design motif carryover doesn't work....I like the Ford Fusion and Edge all right, but the Taurus and Focus look weird with those chrome grills.

Were you talking to the rep about the Touring or sedan? Looking forward to checking out the Touring in person when it comes out. But the hatch in its fuel efficient diesel version has been winning much praise in Europe. It'd be nice if Hyundai took a chance on bring that here.

Looks like the picture of the silver sedan because it is so wide, is causing some of the text before it to run in longer lines and get hidden behind the ads. Strange.
    Were you talking to the rep about the Touring or sedan?

Both. General discussion about when the 2009 Elantras would be in, and we talked about the Touring that was on display at the local auto show last month.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Click on the Previous Page link. You should be able to see them now.
    Actually the pictures ARE automatically resized if people would just upload their pics to their CarSpace page and display them from there.

It would be really super if a) people would notice when they post a picture that is too wide for the text display and then fix the problem, and if b) people would drop me an email when a too-wide picture is interfering with the first few messages on the page.

Thank you.... your magic worked, and the pics, etc looks OK .
    van
    I'd like to take credit for being a magician - I was one in a previous life, after all ;) - but the trick here is to manipulate the page to get the posts you want to read below the right side bar. The Previous Page link and/or the individual message number links allow you to do that.

Thanks, I will try to remember that the next time I see one like that.
    van
    Backy. Did the salesman you talked to say anything about changes to the 2009 Elantra sedan? and when it would be in the showroom?
    No, we mostly talked about the Sonata and Genesis, and a little about the Elantra Touring. The sales rep did say that he expected the 2009 Elantra sedans in "soon", but no details.
    Thanks.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    I still wish it was gonna come with an in-dash nav option....you'd think a car designed for "touring" would be a natural match for that.

Besides, I hate my Fujitsu Pocket LOOX, and I hate how the suction cup keeps deciding to detach from the windshield while I'm driving.
  • moocow1moocow1 Member Posts: 230
    I used to own a 2003 Elantra, but I couldn't see myself buying a minor upgrade to the 2008 model when I needed to get a new vehicle. Besides some CVVT modifications and fuel economy improvements, the powertrain of the elantra has been the same for too many years. Even the touring isn't getting the new theta-II engine. I'm pretty disappointed in the redesigned looks also, it definitely looks too tubby, rather than the past small and cute. It feels like the Sonata got all the huge improvements instead, which is exactly why I bought that. 5 speed auto, better suspension, much better engine. I hope hyundai wakes up and makes some big improvements in the next few years, the competitiveness vs the corolla/civic/mazda 3 just isn't there currently.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Look at how much more car you got for your money in the Sonata vs Elantra, after rebates.

You probably got a Sonata for about the same amount as you would have paid for a Civic or Corolla.
    Just talked to a Hyundai salesman and was told that the 2009 Elantra is due out late August or early September. Not too many changes. Diff. headlight and taillights were the only things I remember he said.
    Darn... I was hoping for ESC to be available on the GLS. :(
    It could be that ESC will be available Backy. The salesman did not go into details, and I did not ask. I was just glad the 2009 is coming out so soon.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    If you want full iPod support then you need to buy a cable for it. It has an iPod dock connector and a USB/Aux connector. This allows full integration. The USB cable doesn't quite work right though. It plugs into both aux and USB ports. Hope this helps.
    Backy. I was just wondering why you are so looking for the 2009 GLS to have ESC
    when you could can get a SE with ESC, telescoping steering wheel and lots of other stuff for about $ 900/1000 more. I think that is the way I will go.
    It seems there are bigger discounts to be had on the GLS, so the difference is not just $900-1000 in many markets. For example, Towne offers GLSes for about $2000 under invoice before the $2000 rebate--not so on the SE. And I've found that I can get a comfortable seating position in the GLS w/o the telescopic steering wheel. So that means that at Towne, for example, I could get an automatic GLS for not much over $12k + TT&L. I expect an SE would be at least $2-3000 over that.

If the price difference were only $900-1000, I would probably go with the SE even if the GLS had ESC.
    I asked a dealer here in N. California a while back and was told that the discount off the sticker price was the same on SE and GLS. Around $1500 plus $2000 rebate.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Different dealers have different pricing. Towne's pricing on the GLS is currently $1750 below invoice, not sticker price. Then there is the $2,000 rebate.

Until CR rated Elantra at the top, Town'e below invoice pricing was the same for the GLS and the SE. Towne is apparently following the typical "negotiate" your price method on the SE due to high demand. I'd expect they are still way below invoice, plus rebate.
  • pano1pano1 Member Posts: 11
    What is the name of the dealership referenced as "Towne" above. Where is it located?
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    They are in New Jersey. Here's a link to their site:

Towne
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    08620-2L000 is the part number for this cable. You can get this cable at your local dealer when the 09 Elantra Touring comes out.
  • nareknarek Member Posts: 37
    Trying to decide between getting an '08 SE (premium + leather and rear spoiler) now, or waiting for the '09's to come out. I want a sedan, not the touring.

One of my main reasons for getting a new car is gas milage. I started out looking at the Sonata, but found the Elantra comfortable enough for less money and better MPG. Only real sticking points I have on the Elantra vs the Sonata is the lack of power driver seat and lumbar support.

So now I'm trying to decide between an '08 now or an '09 later.

Anyone know if the '09 will have better MPG than the '08, and/or if the missing power seat/lumbar features will be included? Anything else I might consider when making this decision? I'm just trying to find enough reasons to wait for the '09's. If there's not going to be much difference, if any, I won't wait.

Any info or insight would be greatly appreciated! :)
This discussion has been closed.