Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe No Start problems

Comments

• beverly1964beverly1964 Member Posts: 1
    The security light is on and tahoe won't start. What can I do
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Try the other key. Each key has a security chip in it, which is programmed to work with the computer in the car.

If that doesn't work, have the vehicle towed to the dealership with your keys, and they can reprogram the computer to accept the security chip in each key.
  • cujocececujocece Member Posts: 6
    I started having problems with my suburban in december.I have 190,000 on the vehicle, original everything. I replaced the starter and battery. I still had long cranks before starting. I replaced the cap and rotor started up and moved it up 10 feet and turned it off. Tried to start it and it just cranked. I replaced the wires and plugs and coil pack and checked the ignition module all ok. I have fuel at the rail. I bought a ignition pickup or crank shaft position starter and installed. The one I took out was only 1/2 there. Thought I found the issue. Replaced and started it up but then I shut it off and it would not restart. It will start maybe every 20 times that I try. Now I looked at the rotor and cap and they look like the ones that were on there for 14 years, I am wondering due to a bad crank shaft position sensor if I screwed the new rotor and cap up. Anyone out there have any ideas?
  • lthauslthaus Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    Friend of mine is having problems starting her Tahoe.

Symptoms:

insert key and turn ignition...

Engine turns over for about 2 seconds.

Reset key

Repeat.. Same 2 seconds.

I plan to remove the starter and have it tested at an auto parts place.
    Any other words of wisdom or if you have seen this problem before?
    :confuse:

Thank you all.
    Vito
    Security system?

Is it possible the key microchip, isn't registered in the computer anymore? Can you try a different key to eliminate that as a possibility?
  • spitfire120spitfire120 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought Suburban last week. Ran fine for the first few days then on way home came to a stop sign and fan motor kicked off followed by suburban completely dying. Turned key a few times and it started up no more problems for another couple of days. On Saturday drove just fine stopped would not start back up. Had my wife come jump me. At first it did nothing when I put key in run. The dash lights would come on but as soon as I moved key from on to start dash lights would go out. Then I noticed e break light flashing set and released e break and it started right up. Didn't run it over weekend. Went out to start on Monday and first time would get dash lights but as soon as key moved from on to start dash lights go out and starter clicks once. On subsequent attempts to start no dash lights and starter does not click. Have checked battery, starter all check good. Have replaced ignition switch still no joy. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  • luschez28luschez28 Member Posts: 3
    I have read through this thread, and have not seen the exact same problem I am having.

I bought my '01 Tahoe a little over a year ago. The first day the SES light came on, and went off again right away. But no symptoms were occuring. It did this off and on for the first year. My code reader kept saying multiple missfire, or bad 02 sensor, but still drove just fine. Then, starting this winter, it developed a rough idle, and sometimes hard to start.

When starting, if it's been sitting for a while, it will start perfectly. If warmed up, it will just crank unless you push the pedal to the floor (like it's flooded). It will then start, but smoke eminates from the tailpipe, and you can smell the gasoline.

The rough idle is never apparent at first, but after it sits idleing for a few minutes, it becomes rough, but never dies or stalls. After driving for a few minutes, it dissappears, but returns in a few minutes of idle.

Now, I am getting the code P0446, so now I may have a fuel/vent/vacuum issue as well. But this just started a week ago.

The spark plugs, wires, and fuel filter are all new within the last 3 months.

Could all these issues be stemming from one problem? Or is multiple problems that are affecting the same system? I hate this, give me a 4bbl carb and a screw driver, and this would have been a 10 minute fix. :mad:
    I fixed the problem, it was the fuel pump again. I had changed it 2 years ago and it went again. I bought a OEM this time. Thanks for everyones help.
    It could be your fuel pump is losing pressure.Try a pressure regulator on the fuel rail.
    edited May 2010
    Update:

I replaced the oxygen sensors, there were supposed to be four but ended up only having two.

I also tightened the crap out of the fuel cap.

Now, no codes come back. It's been going for two days without one code. Unfortunately, it still has the same symptoms, hard to start and rough idle. So I fixed something, just not what was causing the symptoms. Going to try the fuel pressure next.
    Another Update:

My next step was to replace the fuel pressure regulator, about $40. It ran rough for about a minute, I guess as fuel got back in the lines. Then, I thought it died. Actually, it smoothed out and ran like brand new! So quiet I had to rev the engine to hear it. :)
  • ag7579ag7579 Member Posts: 1
    @spitfire

My 96 Burb is doing the exact same thing. Like you, I changed ignition switch, starter and battery tested good. Move key to start---one click and all power goes out. Wait 5 seconds and the power comes back. Turn to start again--same result. Hoping you got yours figured out by now.
  • litlsuzzylitlsuzzy Member Posts: 1
    I had a check engine light for my 99 Chevy Suburban k1500 in February. I took it to Autozone and the computer said that it was the fuel pressure sensor. Now the truck won't start. More specifically, there is no noise from the fuel pump ( was loud enough to hear 10 feet away) and it won't turn over. My father in law looked at the truck and said that all the plugs and fuses looked good and everything he could see was connected. He told me that he is most likely the fuel pump and a small chance that it was the fuel relay or the security system. He's good with cars but not a mechanic. Is it possible that it's the pressure sensor? And if it is, is that easy to replace? I may have to fix it myself.
    I would suspect the fuel pump, as well.

The sensor might have been telling you the fuel pressure was low, not necessarily that the sensor itself was bad.

The error codes tend to get you to the right area, then it is hands on diagnostics that get you to the actual failing components.
  • perplexedtahoeperplexedtahoe Member Posts: 1
    I love my Tahoe. But I think it was rode hard and put up wet. First its a hard start in mornings and when it does start there is a whirring sound ( I am hard of hearing so cant pin point location ) but it goes through gears fine. Did notice though if I have to climb a steep hill there was a slight missing or possible very light jerking. If I put it into 3rd instead of keeping it in OD it climbs hills fine. I did a pretty good tune up on the other day as the cap and rotor was shot and still running original wires and Fuel Filter and PCV. I took Tahoe to Firestone to have entire cooling system flushed and on my 15 mile drive home ata steady speed of 55 on flat road she jerked so violently I thought something was going to break. I noticed if I accelerated it would stop. I dont know what sensors to start checking. The Check Engine light never came on. The Tahoe's odometer reads 135,000 ( wich i think it has more mileage and previous owner may have swapped out gauge cluster, I could almost swear to it ) Any advice or passed on knowledge would be so great. Thank you
    edited August 2010
    Have you checked fuel pump / fuel pressure? Highway speeds long hill is max fuel demands.
  • jnskijnskijnskijnski Member Posts: 1
    Hello all. Please help if you have the time.
    Just had the transmission rebuilt in my 02 Tahoe.
    While at the tranny shop, passlock reset had to be done.
    Picked up today and shut off and started numerous times without any trouble.
    Went out a little while later to run to the store and it won't crank.
    No security light blinking this time.
    All electrical works, interior lights, headlamps, radio, etc.
    Towed to repair shop, started up every time. Brought it home, parked in driveway. started it up about ten times just to be sure , no problems.
    went back out an hour later, same thing, wont start, all electrical dash components, etc work, just no crank.
    towed to the shop again, you guessed it. started right up. Took it for a ride and they tried to duplicate what I did..drive for 20 minutes, park it at the shop, start and shut off numerous times, let it sit for a while, still starts.
    It sat at the shop for the long holiday weekend, started right up this morning. Guaranteed if I go get it and bring it home, it wont start tomorrow morning, and I really would rather not have it towed every other day.
    any suggestions, or similar stories with a solution?
  • tahoefanalmosttahoefanalmost Member Posts: 1
    2003 Tahoe Z71 will start most of the time. When it fails, the starter turns over and continues to grind but engine doesn't catch.

Won't fail at the shop; mechanic guessed fuel pump.

Have determined that it hardly ever fails to crank when the fuel tank is more than half full. If it fails, adding more fuel has helped. What is the likely cause of this failure to crank when the tank is less than half full?
  • jmosbyjmosby Member Posts: 1
    we are getting fire from coil but not from distributar :sick:
  • pagedc79pagedc79 Member Posts: 5
    :confuse: The 1st error was when I tried to start 4WD 1500 5.7L with 120K miles it just clicked once. Battery is new so I thought maybe the starter had a dead spot. As I was pulling the starter, it engaged! Crap, forgot to unhook the battery. Pulled the negative termil off then thought maybe it would work now so I put the starter back in and secured. When I went to reconnect the - battery terminal the truck tried starting all by itself.....with the key off.

Pulled the starter and bench test fine, replaced the solenoid just for grins. Put starter back in and now I cannot connect the battery without it trying to start on its own?

Dealer has no clue......unless of course I have it towed in so they can look at it.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks :confuse:
    edited October 2010
    Disconnect the wire going to the solenoid, so that the solenoid is not powered/engaged. Verify that the starter is NOT turning. If it is starting, then your solenoid is bad and permanently engaged..

Assuming not starting, put a voltmeter on the start wire normally connected to the solenoid. If it's 12+ volts, then something upstream is trying to give power to the solenoid and engage the starter.
  • scooter89scooter89 Member Posts: 6
    My wife's tahoe started having intermittant starting problems about a week ago. Most of the time it will start and run just fine, but occasionally it takes three or four tries before it starts and idles. It always fires, but will die when it tries to idle. Yesterday I was driving it, it ran just fine until I pulled over to stop and then it died at idle. After three times trying to start, I found that it would catch if you kept your foot partially on the accelerator. While driving home, it would die at idle unless you watched the tach and kept it held above idle speed with accelerator. It appears to be an intermittant idling problem, and the repair shop said " gotta be a leaking intake manifold gasket, pay us 500 bucks and we'll see if that is it". Any ideas?
    I would go another route. i would change the fuel filter first to make sure it is getting the fuel on its own without any help pressing on the gas. I would lean more to a failing fuel pump than air. I think starting at 16.00 for a filter first is the way to go especially if it has not been changed in a year or more. Good lucl
    Are there any fault error codes in the computer?
    edited October 2010
    How do I check for computer error codes? There are no indications on my dashboard lights, does this have to be done at a dealer or a repair shop? I can work on my 75 Ford pickup, but this new electronic stuff has me baffled.
    You should be able to take your vehicle to a auto zone or advanced auto and they will check it for free. Call them first before you go. Once you have the codes, you can usually look them up on the internet. The most common is one that will code when you need a new gas cap. Once codes are cleared they will reappear in 50 miles or 3 starts if it is a continuous problem.
    edited October 2010
    haven't had time to get my tahoe to get the computer codes checked, but it has now sat for almost a week. I started it today and drove it around in my driveway, and it idled a bit rough. Revved it up to 2000, held it for 20 seconds, and then it wouldn't idle, just die unless you held the accelerator pedal down just enough to keep it at idle speed. After 30 seconds of having to keep it idling, it started to work fine. Revved it up and tried it again, now it idles just fine, and has been idling all through the time I came inside, logged in, wrote this message, went out and checked again, wiggled every hose, wire, etc. I could wiggle, revved it up once more, it still works fine. Just went out and checked it again, it's still idling fine, completely warmed up, drove it around the driveway, (big driveway) came in and sent this message. Doesn't sound to me like an intake manifold gasket, but there is something going on. Anyone else had this kind of problem? Still gonna get the codes checked, change the fuel filter, etc. Edit: new clue, now 10 minutes later, drove it down the driveway, the ABS light and Brake light would flash on the dash while driving in my driveway, and it didn't want to idle. First time I've seen that. After 15 secs, all is well again, wiggled the vacuum hose to the brake assist, still no problems, now all is fine again.
  • alanrsalanrs Member Posts: 25
    Ref: 2001 Suburban K1500 110K miles
    When I try to start, it behaves exactly as though it were in gear instead of Neutral or Park. There is some clicking under the dash, but nothing at all from the engine compartment. I have checked the fuses, etc, and the battery is good. A jump start/boost has no effect.

This afternoon I tried to pull the starter so I could check power at the solenoid. I consider myself a decent mechanic, but darned if I could even get it out from its location. The dipstick tube blocks the forward motion so that the gear snout will not come out of the bell housing. What a pain!

So I have decided to start from scratch, and think of other possibilites, such as the Neutral Switch. If that fails, would it prevent a start at all? Where is it located, and how could I check its function?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, including a technique to get the darn starter off!

Thanks, Alan
  • 8ntgonam8kit8ntgonam8kit Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 tahoe that appears to have the same problem as a lot of the other posts where everything is running fine then all of a sudden it won't start.. and it's not battery or starter related.

The difference for me was i was driving, made a left turn, and the truck started sputtering (not responding to the throttle). As i pulled into a parking lot the low fuel light came on. Although i knew i had gas, i put more in it but still can't get it to start. It sounds like it has enough to fire once but goes right back to the starter spinning. Several posts have mentioned the MAP sensor, FPR, fuel filter, and/or fuel pump. Given my symptoms where should i start???
    It runs! It's been 3 weeks now and now my Tahoe is running fine. After my last message, (#249), and letting the car sit for 1/2 hour to cool off, it started the same thing again, but this time it wouldn't try to fire at all when trying to start the engine, even if you held the accelerator slightly depressed. After trying 5 or 6 times, the entire dash and car went dead. Just like the battery cable was disconnected. Hmmm. Tried to start it again, just a slight blink of power and then dead again. Went out, removed the battery cables, they looked fine, no corrosion, but cleaned them with a wire brush anyway. Got back in, the car started, idled just fine, and now it has given me no trouble for 3 weeks. In my experience, usually a bad connection at the battery would give you some kind of sign, but nothing indicated that, but buffing up the battery terminals seems to have fixed my intermittant idling problems. Go figure.
    edited November 2010
    More likely it was the disconnect of the battery itself that did the job in your case. Like re-booting your computer at home, the computer in modern cars can be re-booted by a total disconnect from battery power. Other than stored fault codes, the system will usually be "blank" if the electrical interruption lasts at least five minutes. From there, the onboard computer polls all of the sensors, and learns what is "normal" for them. Over a number of start/run cycles, the system parameters are then set as "usual" or "standard".
    I'd be thinking that for your case, there was some bad data stored in the active memory, and killing the power for a bit got rid of it and set your Tahoe's PCM back to original programming.
  • dukeboodukeboo Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    We recently replaced the fuse panel under the hood (mice built nest underneath and fried the daytime running light fuse and relay)
    brand new fuse (junction box) put on today and we get all indicators lighting up on the dash, headlights work, but driver side seems dimmer the the passenger.

we noticed that there is no little line under the PRND like before that let you know what gear you are in. we can move the shifter and we can select auto 2x 4x 4l no problem and it moves to the selected choice.

when we turn the key we get only a faint click from around the battery area, and nothing for a turn over. all the dash lights go dark but come right back on when we let the key return.

we have a dual battery F250 hooked to it for boosting, so i don't think power is an issue as far as supply goes.

any ideas, does this missing indicator line under the PRND have something to do with it not turning over.

thanks
    Since you had the fuse box wiring tore apart, I don't believe anyone remotely can diagnose your problem based on the symptoms and how the 'normal' wiring would be.

I guess what I'd suggest is this:
    - if you paid someone to fix this, take it back and have them finish the job correctly.
    - if you repaired this yourself, then take the electrical schematics and a meter and start troubleshooting the circuits. You either don't have something hooked up correctly, or something else was blown that should have been replaced, and wasn't.
    - I don't know whether there are multiple (different) fuse panels and whether they gave you the correct part, but having an incorrect part might also be a possibility.

I'd start by measuring the voltage on all the main buses and fused circuits, to make sure everything is indeed powered. Assuming everything okay, then I'd move to the start circuit. You getting a click and no starter turn, sounds like you don't have full voltage to the starter.
  • neddanedda Member Posts: 2
    Can someone tell me where the fuel pressure regulator in a 2001 Chevy Tahoe is located?
    OK! So indeed the procedure for removing the starter includes taking out the dipstick tube (AKA Oil Level Indicator Tube). Required unbolting the starter and making sure all wiring was out ofthe way, then getting a Mapp gas torch to really heat up the boss in the block, while a helper pulled/wiggled/twisted the tube from above. Not easy! That allowed the starter enough room to be moved forward then rotated down. YAY! The original issue with starting was caused by a bad main wire between the solenoid and the starter windings.
    Back in business now, the Sub starts easily. :)
    A couple of notes for anyone doing this job: Get a new dipstick tube in advance, the old one will be damaged. The new one will fit too tight, I had to reduce the portion which fits into the block by 0.004 after the paint was removed (belt sander). Then, I had to make a tool out of a 20" long piece of galvanized pipe to get the tube to seat into the block. Makes no sense to be that tight, there is an o-ring for sealing it. The current part which is a replacement heat shield for the solenoid is INCORRECT! If you can recover the old one, use it. I removed/sealed some rust and repainted the sheild for my truck..
  • joealb64joealb64 Member Posts: 1
    Like many other, I also experience the problem with my 2007 Tahoe not starting at times. Since I have owned the truck I had to take it back to the dealer "Towed In" twice because the truck would not start. The first time I experienced this was 2009 and the dealer informed me the battery was the issue. ... Yeah they could not find any electrical problems and replaced the battery. Early January 2011 the truck had the same issue where it wouldn’t not start for two day. ( 94K ) and had to be towed in. The dealer informed me that the truck sat overnight and started up the next day. They also informed me that the battery needs to be replaced. Informed them they just replaced it not even 18 months ago. Picked the truck up after a week and on the way home the message center indicated low oil pressure shut off engine. This happed three times on the way back to the dealer. The third time I continued to drive the truck until the message went out. Has not come on since. The other issue is with the radio preset buttons not staying set. Truck was in the dealer when the truck was still under warranty and could not reproduce the problem. There is some electrical malfunction with this Tahoe. The other problem I encountered 2-3 years ago the message indicated displayed Engine To Hot Shutting Of AC. How can this be when it was 10 degrees out in January of that year? Still dealer could not find anything wrong. Are other experiencing this type of electrical issues?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    joealb64,
    Can you please email me with your VIN and your user name here. I would like to look into this for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • brucew52brucew52 Member Posts: 1
    My 99 suburban was running terrible and would not start. I replaced the dist cap, rotor, plugs, and wires and it runs like it should again. The problem I noticed is that when I first start it up (cold or hot) the engine races for about 30 seconds then settles down. Might I have knocked something loose, or is something broken that I need to replace?

Thanks.
  • blauhawkblauhawk Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 suburban has started to either not start or slowly start. Checked for codes, none. got stabila track service and traction control service. Disconnected bat and replaced battery and no longer service message but still trouble starting. Dealership says nothing wrong. I've never had this much trouble out of a suburban.
  • cindyqjacjcindyqjacj Member Posts: 1
    I am having problems with my 2005 Tahoe that only has 43,000 mile on it.
    It will not start and its not the battery. When you turn it over all it will do is click and the all the light will come on. Can anyone help me with this.

Thanks
  • snortweaselsnortweasel Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the exact same issues with my 2007 suburban (80k). Noticed it was turning over slowly, so I replaced the battery (with more CCA than original) - condition didnt improve. Left my wife stranded today for wouldnt start at all...only clicked. Tried a few hours later and it started fine. Unbelievable that a 3yr old truck would be this unreliable.
  • snortweaselsnortweasel Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 suburban with EXACTLY the same symptoms...new battery fully charged, but just a faint click and starter doesnt turn over or turns over VERY slowly. Frustrating that a $50,000 vehicle cant even make it 80,000 miles?! Adding insult to injury is the rumor that you have to "heat" and remove the oil dipstick tube to perform (what should be) a relatively simple starter replacement if that proves to be the problem. Has anyone found a solution to this (apparently common) problem.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    snortweasel,
    Have you taken your vehicle into a dealer? If not I would recommend doing so. Can you please email me with your VIN and current mileage as well? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    I love it, how times have changed. When I was growing up, we had to do points, plugs, and condenser tune up's every 12-15K miles, and you'd be lucky if your vehicle ever made it to 75K miles.

Now we all (me included) expect our vehicles to last forever, with no to minimal maintenance, and any parts to cost next to nothing.
  • chevy_girl1chevy_girl1 Member Posts: 1
    OMG! I had no idea that SO MANY people were going through what I have been experiencing for about a year now. I have replaced my batteries 4 times now in a year, which is absolutely ridiculous. I do not believe that my battery is causing this problem. There has to be something electrical causing this. I have googled my issues and I did find one site that seems to indicate that the GM has issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB 07033b). In putting this number in on the GM site, it does not seem to be recognized. I am very frustrated at this point and now that I see so many others having this same issue, I am going to report this to my local news media. I don't pay almost $700/month on garbage. This last time I replaced my battery (yesterday), now all the lights and horns, etc work. However, when you turn the key to the ignition, there's no sound at all - no clicking noices - NOTHING! I will fight for a resolution - one that comes sooner rather than later. Being one who's been drastically effected by this latest economic mess, I cannot afford to even trade out of this vehicle. My only comfort at this moment is that I only have a little more than a year left to pay on this. Yeah, it's nice to look at my clean gas guzzler on 24-inch rims in the driveway, but it would be nice to actually drive her occasionally.
  • tduinctduinc Member Posts: 8
    WOW......I am sitting here at my home with my 2005 Chevy Surburban with 72000 miles and I can not start this vehicle, same symptoms all power no start.....checked the starter rellay....this has been on on going problem for 6 months........new battery which it did not need. This is ridiculous..been to dealer and they cannot duplicate the problem, It usually just starts after a few minutes....Happens just about once a week..................but this time it has been all day.......................Hopefully GM customer service will see this reply..................on Long Island in NY
  • suburbanman2suburbanman2 Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 Suburban has ho power in the morning. I must remove the battery cable and reattach it and then it starts up. The battery and starter were replaced by chevy and this still happens almost every day. I could spend hundreds of $ and no one will do the work without an hourly estimate. Was yours fixed?
  • suburbanman2suburbanman2 Member Posts: 2
    My problem is almost the same. The dealer probably knows what the problem is they just wont commit to the fix. Much the same as the speedo problem. Chevy wanted $900.00 for the cluster in my 2005 Surburban. I found a shop to replace the little motors. All 6 for $125.00 in about an hour and he came to me.
    This is ridiculous on a $55,000 vehicle............GMC has to step up.........Has anyone received a response from their customer service?????????
    What is the dealer saying the answer is???????????