Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Is the Auto Sales Profession for Me?

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Obviously, you haven't ever sold anything for a living.

Dealers put salespeople on commission because its the best way to motivate them to sell.
    Realtors sell on commission. Liquor sales, medical sales, equipment sales all commission.
    The people who sell advertising on this very website, commission.

Salaries work for pencil pushers, not salespeople.
    Salespeople are more like artists than anything else. They work best on emotion.
    They need to know that the more they sell, the more they will make.
    If you get paid the same whether you sell 3 cars or 13 cars, where is your motivation to work harder? Ask a Realtor if they would like to work weekends for a salary.
    Heck, even lawyers work on commission.
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Good points Volvomax, but I also agree with bvdj on the point of salespeople "complaining" to a customer that they're not making enough on a deal.

It really shouldn't be the customer's concern or problem what our commission is.

When I work a deal I never bring my compensation into the equation to try and get the customer feeling sorry for me. I think that's pathetic, and as bad as begging.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

You are correct, it's a deploreable tactic.
  • madmanmoomadmanmoo Member Posts: 2,039
    So you wouldn't pay to get trained for a job? You know, like going to college? Hell, the potential employer should look at you and say, "I like you kid. You got moxie. Here's $40k to get trained for our workplace." Is that how it's supposed to work?

I'm so disgusted over your post that I'm almost at a loss for words. Do you have any idea how many salespeople are working in the U.S. right now? You are constantly surrounded by them and you choose this attitude to approach them with?

And to top it all off. You tip the pizza delivery guy $1..... When salespeople see you leave, they are saying hooray because another cheapskate left their lot and hopefully they won't need to deal with them for awhile. You got some real class.
  • joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    BVD, lifes to short my friend, don't spend it mad at the man, and cut the kid delivering pizza's some slack, commission sales makes the world go round, thats just the way it is.

I remember back in 1999 when I was a training mgr, I went and set up a booth at a job fair at a local college. A kid walks up to me thinking I was with Ford Motor Company. When I explained I was recruiting sales people he gave me a very snobbish attitude and explained he would never be a sales person, with his education he would start out at $45K a year.

I replied, thats nice I had that made by the end of June. The guy stopped in his tracks and asked if I was serious. Ended up hiring him and he worked here for 5 years. He is a GSM some place in Florida now.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    lol... I know, life is too short. Like stated in the post, the sales industry has created this reputation. I will respect them, until they start begging me. Its not a personal deal, its business deal. I treat them with respect, but most of the time, they run me right over. I was blunt in the post, but those were examples of why the have this kind of rep. I truly didn't want to upset anyone, I apologize if I did. :)

Its really hard work to do work like that, but, the make it personal, and its not. How your paid really shouldn't be discussed.
    Like stated in the post, the sales industry has created this reputation.

In the 80's. And the reputation has been kept there by people like you and a small percentage of salespeople that will always be in any profession.

How your paid really shouldn't be discussed.

Agreed. But you cutting $2 off a pizza delivery guys tip is just pathetic.

You sound like a chooch and that comes back around.
  • micosilvermicosilver Member Posts: 212
    My wife's fiancee used to work as an interior designer (independent contractor). Last year, with the ecomony diving, he lost his contract, and couldn't find any job since. When my wife mentioned to him that he might want to try selling cars - he got offended - "I didn't go to college to sell cars", etc. Well, now, 6 months later, guess what is he doing? He drives a limo with some shady limo service, hassling clients at bars uintil 3 AM. I think he's too ashamed to come to me and ask me for a job.
    Plus I wouldn't hire him anyway... ;)
    My wife's fiancee :confuse:

Do you mean your wife's friend's fiancee? Not that it matters but it threw me off.

Anyways...
    A lot of people don't think you can make decent coin selling cars and although it may not be glamorous in some social circles, when you can drive a new fancy car every 6 months and bring home a fat paycheck, people will change their opinions. Besides people that look at me funny because of what I do for a living, is not someone I want to be friends with anyways.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,095
    I wish I could get my wife a fiancee.. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I was at a holiday party, last month... My wife and I were standing in the kitchen (where else?), and I was introduced by the host to another guest.. I asked him what he did, and he said, "I'm a car dealer"..

My wife said, "Oh, no... I guess I'll see you in a couple of hours.. ", and walked off, out of the room... :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Ok if order a $5 meal. Charge you $2 to deliver it, then they want a tip. I am already nearly double my meal cost if pay the driver. I am already paying the delivery. It does not seem right. The $2 is for the driver. They can't have a fee and tip. Doesn't Seem right. Pizza hut does too. $1.50, then they want tip, tip is for the delivery. Why I tip the driver. LOL anyway. We've beat this horse to death.

There is nothing wrong with selling cars, but it is those salesmen that pull that kind of rep. I've had it done to me, my co workers all have been hosed before. It's not like I am the only one saying this. It all goes back to the old tactics. I never treat them bad, but will be honest with them if I feel cornered. My last salesmen was great. I took a month to choose a car. He and the dealer were so nice, but the other dealer, wow! It was bad. I was treated so bad ok more than one of occasion. Again, I did not mean this to offend anyone. But literally everywhere you go, they have this rep, though sometimes it's the customer that walks in with this frame of mind and gets this all going.
    My wife said, "Oh, no... I guess I'll see you in a couple of hours.. ", and walked off, out of the room

Ok the way that is written it could go either way but I am going to assume that you meant your wife said to YOU that she would see you in a couple hours because she new you would want to talk cars to this guy.

Not she said it to the car dealer because she did not want to associate with him. :D
    You get someone around me that is interested in cars, I'll talk forever about cars.
    Ok if order a $5 meal. Charge you $2 to deliver it, then they want a tip. I am already nearly double my meal cost if pay the driver.

Then don't order the Pizza. Or go make your own.
    Being a cheapskate isn't cool. You aren't being frugal or smart with your money, you're being weak.
    I am over this. Sorry you took it all out of context. I simply used that as an example.

Applying a Salesmen fee or DOC fee to a car deal would be the same thing.
    Salesmen already gets a commission, why would I feel that I need to pay $50-$400 for a Doc or salemen fee? I hope that $2.00 goes to the driver.

Just so you know, I typically tip well wherever I go, but if they do this sort of thing, I subtract the fee off the tip. In a delivery, Tip is the delivery fee. I tip them for taking the food to me, Next, time I order, I will ask though if they give this fee to the driver. I hope so. That is alot of wear and tear on his car. On a $5 sandwich, I am not going to tip another $5 for fees and tip. lol.

There is no need to take shots at me. This is not personal.

Is the sales profession for me? No, it probably wouldn't be right for me.
    My experience though does not reflect the "norm" of the industry, but simply stating that I am not the only one who feels this way. Again, its me (customers) sometimes walking in the dealer in this frame of mind, and they might be a very good dealer. It starts the whole experience negatively. I am so guilty of that. That alone would be tough to be in sales, and you might be just a nice guy trying to make a living. You come out to the lot to greet a customer, and they just walk away or shoot you a look, that has to be tough. They are just doing their job, I automatically assume they are out to get me. I have been hosed before, so I keep guarded, but is that fair to someone else that might be truly trying to help you. No. So you are right, perhaps, I am weak. I am not a cheapskate...lol, but just want a fair deal. Maybe I should just suck it up, and don't sweat the small stuff, I do struggle with that.. Sorry. :)

Anyway, Kudos to all salesmen that can go out everyday and do this. Its a tough market, tough job. More guts than I have. I still think it would be fun though. Selling a Honda or Acura...etc.
    Doc fee is not a "salesman fee" and it does not go to the sales person. It goes straight to the top.

Just like there's various plane tickets that have fees and taxes. Those do not go to to the flight attendants, or to pilots as tips, or to pay them for being there. they go straight to the government and to the airline company.
    And delivery fee is not a "tip" to the driver. It's a fee you pay for the convenience of not having to go out and get your own food and it covers their hourly wage of the delivery driver as that's what they're probably on. The tip you give them is to make sure your food came fast and warm.

It's the same as telling a waitress in a restaurant: you spent a total of 30 minutes attending to us tonight (taking order, bringing food, cleaning up), and I owe you $10 tip, but since you already get paid an hourly wage of $8/hour, I will deduct half an hour wage from the tip ($4), and therefore you'll receive a $6 tip.

Anyways, yes back to topic. Salesman shouldn't beg customers that they're not making enough, and customers should tip where a tip is deserved. If you get good service but are too cheap to tip, then make it yourself or pick it up yourself.

Exactly... she knew that we wouldn't be conversing with each other for awhile... ;)

Last summer, met a new neighbor at our block party... His in-laws were in town, and came to the party... Father-in-law was the business manager at a Chevy dealership (only a couple of hours from you)... Nice guy.. I think I went through my whole cooler of beer, before I was done with him... :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Kudos to all salesmen that can go out everyday and do this. Its a tough market, tough job. More guts than I have.

I don't know... you've taken quite a few shots here. You've shown you can handle the abuse without flipping your lid. You value every dollar/penny and don't want to leave anything on the table... except a good tip when deserved. You may make a pretty good salesman. ;)
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Jip, I'm about to strangle you. I'll leave it at that.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,662
    "...Jip, I'm about to strangle you..."

Now that's something I'd tip to see. ;)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I don't know... except for not tipping the delivery boy, his post seemed fairly reasonable and balanced. Stated "some" and "many" salesmen... not all. So, he wasn't painting all salesmen with the same brush. A bit uninformed/misinformed on a few matters, but I don't think he was trying to troll on you guys. .. said several nice things about the business and salesmen as a matter of fact.

Sorry oldfarmer, isell has first viewing dibs on any strangulations that involve my neck. But, hey... since he never reads my posts anyhow, I'll put you down for a front row seat. ;) :P
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Actually, I found his post to be incredibly uninformed.
    I think his views on tipping are quite indicative of his personality.

Fact is, every year millions of new and used cars get sold by dealers. The vast majority without any hysteria or anger or hurt feelings.
    There is a small minority of bad salespeople out there, there always will be.

You come to place like this,and you hear from a few people and you assume that every car dealer and salesperson is crooked and useless and you simply don't take into account all the transactions that go smoothly. that never get talked about.
    ;)
  • marcusd21marcusd21 Member Posts: 2
    I went to this training and paid the 294.00. They gave us all an interview at Toyota. The class started with about 43 people and the last day it was down to 22. From what I heard they hired 4 or 5. The rest of were supposed to work with TK and get interviews at other dealerships. I got one at Berger Chevorlet and was told I would be called back. After a week of twice a day phone calls I gave up since they were never returned. At TK the last email I got was they left messages at some dealers(that I contacted myself) and only got voicemail so it would be in my best interests to persue these dealers on my own.

Whoa friends can't I do that myself without paying 294.00 have not heard from them in over a month it always that it's up to me to do it. Iwrote a complaint letter asking for my money back to the CEO of TK Worldwide. I would stayu away from these guys you don't charge for something you can' deliver.

I went through AIG auto sale training in Arizona and they interviewed and got us placements at dealerships BEFORE the training. We all had jobs. The training was way more comprehensive that TK, lasted a full week and was FREE!!
  • marcusd21marcusd21 Member Posts: 2
    We had to pay before we would get interviewed by Toyota. and it was due on the second day no mention of them "fronting" the money.

I went to this training and paid the 294.00. They gave us all an interview at Toyota. The class started with about 43 people and the last day it was down to 22. From what I heard they hired 4 or 5. The rest of were supposed to work with TK and get interviews at other dealerships. I got one at Berger Chevorlet and was told I would be called back. After a week of twice a day phone calls I gave up since they were never returned. At TK the last email I got was they left messages at some dealers(that I contacted myself) and only got voicemail so it would be in my best interests to persue these dealers on my own.

Whoa friends can't I do that myself without paying 294.00 have not heard from them in over a month it always that it's up to me to do it. Iwrote a complaint letter asking for my money back to the CEO of TK Worldwide. I would stayu away from these guys you don't charge for something you can' deliver.

I went through AIG auto sale training in Arizona and they interviewed and got us placements at dealerships BEFORE the training. We all had jobs. The training was way more comprehensive that TK, lasted a full week and was FREE
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Be careful what you wish for...it happens!!!! :sick:

Regards,
    OW
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Be careful what you wish for

Does wishing have any influence on the outcome? :confuse:

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • s275ironmans275ironman Member Posts: 1
    I was sitting in the class with you marcusd21. I myself am still without a job. They certainly did a good job with their sales pitch to take our money and run.

I recently filed a complaint against TK Worldwide on ripoffreport.com

I think I should file a report against Toyota of Grand Rapids as they were involved with this scam.

A week after going through the training course, I did get contacted by TK, and they sent me to three dealerships in the area, but only one of them was actually hiring. None of the dealers I went to had even heard of TK Worldwide, and two of them were asking me what source told me they had an opening. It looks like they sent me to apply for work at dealerships that weren't even hiring.

If you checked job postings on Monster back in March/April, the exact same ad was posted again by Toyota of Grand Rapids. That right there is proof that this is a scam when Toyota wound up hosting another training session just months after I completed it.

I looks like I lost $294 that I can't get back. At least we can warn others not to fall for this scam.
    Here's how you get hired in auto sales:

First gather up a list of dealerships in your area you'd like to work at. Make it a long list (at least 5 to 10 or more) as that will increase your chances of getting hired

Print out resumes and a cover letter for each one. Put each cover letter/resume combo in one envelope of each dealership.

Dress up in a nice shirt, tie, slacks, or suit, and go in person to drop them off, whether they're hiring or not. Go on a weekday morning, preferably tuesday to thrusday, around 10am or so, as during Monday mornings the managers are busy wrapping up weekend deals, and Fridays they're busy preparing for the weekend.

Do not go at month end like the 30th or 31st, and do not go on the 1st of the month as sometimes month end extends into the 1st. Do not go on the weekends either because chances are you won't get to talk to a Sales Manager as they will be too busy.

When you walk in, go up to the receptionist and say you'd like to speak with the Sales Manager. Do not just drop off your resume at reception. We've seen way too many people come in and drop off a one page resume, not even stating what position they were applying for. Guess where these resumes will end up? Nobody has time to call and follow up to investigate why you dropped off a resume. That's your job to do with a cover letter, and a quick chat with a dept manager.

So if the receptionist asks why you'd like to speak with the manager, say you're here for a sales job. Chances are a manager will come out meet you, at which point you'd introduce yourself, hand him the envelope with your resume and cover letter, and say that you're looking for a sales job, and you're available immediately, and that you'd like him to review your resume and call you if there's an opening.

If the manager says there's no openings, ask him to keep the resume on file and to call you when there is one. Alternatively ask him if you can follow up with him in a few days or a week to see if he has any questions. Also take his business card.

By wanting to follow up with the manager will score you bonus points, because sales has a lot to do with following up with sold and unsold customers. By having this in you will make you stand out from other applicants and will show to the manager within a 30 second time frame that you're ready for a sales job.

When he does take the resume, follow up within 3 days and ask if he had any further questions. This will help him remember you and if an opening does occur you'll be the first in line.

If at the receptionist, you're told that the manager is busy, and that she can take your resume and pass it on, then leave it, but follow up the same day with the manager to make sure the manager got it. Find out which manager would be looking at it so that you'd know who to follow up with.

Generally, in car sales there is a lot of turnover, and openings may occur on a daily basis, so nver lose hope if there arent' any openings right this second.

I can guarantee you that if you go to 10 dealerships using the method above, you'll get hired at one of them within a week, of not a couple days.

Good luck.

Terrific advice!
    We hired a guy who followed your script. Just wouldn't take no for an answer.
    He's been our salesperson of the month the last 2 months.
    That's how I got hired at a couple dealerships. Dropped my resume off in person, and follwed up with them. Even after one interview with an HR manager I left thank you card as I had a pack of them ready in my car. All it said is thank you for giving me an opportunity to be interviewed, feel free to call if you have any questions.

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Go on a weekday morning, preferably tuesday to thrusday

It's so tough finding a thrusday.... :P
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Thanks, boomchek, for taking the time to provide such thorough advice.

I guess having someone who won't take "no" for an answer when applying for a sales job is a good indicator that they'll be assertive on the floor!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

No problem. Yes having perserverance is a good trait for sales. Following up with sold and unsold customers is one of the most common tasks that sales people perfrom on a dilay basis. So if you show a bit of that during the hiring process you're bound to impress managers.

When I got this job I was determined to get an interview because they were the only dealer who was not hiring. At the beggining of the process the GM told me they were not hiring. Two hours and 3 interviews later I had an offer to start in the morning. That was 15 years ago.

The best way to get a sales job is to show you can sell your self. If you can't sell the product you know the most about how can you sell a car?????
    That's so true. Well said.

• kbradberrykbradberry Member Posts: 3
    4,800 people per year come through our program. It works. Regarding the Michigan economy. Yes, it's bad, but auto sales is not going away. it's not being outsourced to China, and proper initial training is a fundamental key to your success.
    The opportunities are still limitless. and YES, you will get your $300.00 back. If you are trained by TK Worldwide, Inc.
  • dave1990dave1990 Member Posts: 3
    "Ah, overall, somewhat like an employment agency, but one that gives some initial training and evaluation"

294.00 for an evaluation? What a joke. There is an element of scam in TK Worldwide. The trainer says you can get a job with 3 days of training and $294.00. That is absurd for someone new in sales. No one can become successful in sales with only 3 days of classroom training. As you stated, only one maybe two people will be left after the 90 days. As far as the money, the favorites were comped the course and the undesirables were foolish enough to pay. Stay away from TK Worldwide or at least never ever give them any money.
    Give me a break. You are preying on the untalented to pay you the 294.00. Many people are desperate during the economy downturn and that is when people such as TK Worldwide strike. Whatever you do, don't pay them any money!
    Don't give them any money. If you are good, you should not have to pay.
    edited June 2010
    I realize that there is no point in having a debate with you about this. I am however compelled to direct you to our web site. There are over 1,000 testimonials and an A Rating with the BBB from people who say that 3 days was enough. That it was all they needed to get a clear picture of what direction they wanted to go in. Most make it, some don't. But you are not even giving yourself a chance. I have a true sense of sadness when I see people who are so critical and skeptical that they don't even try.

Our training programs come in all shapes and sizes. Training fees are not mandatory, nor is the training (unless our dealer clients require that we train the applicants, and if they require it, the DEALERSHIP is required to pay the full fee)

Many of our programs don't even have trainers on the ground. They are simply all done over the internet, and phone. It's sad to say, but when we don't have trainers there, the people have a much tougher time getting acclimated in their new career. Good management is the key to prevent fall out! Most of our clients DO have great management teams. We are blessed with a great following dealers around the country.

I am sad about and sorry that so many people like to turn against "corporate america" (the evil empire) before they even know much about the companies they so revile. I am just a guy who had a dream, lives in America (the greatest Country on the planet) and used the tools I could find the create wealth in such a way that I could grow my business while paying it forward, creating commission based jobs for the economy, stimulating the travel industry,(15 trainers booking flights every week, and renting cars, and hotel rooms everywhere they go), training people in a new career and helping them secure their family's futures by enabling them to make unlimited income potential, but NOW, I"m the scaming evil empire???? How did we get there? People are so quick to make broad negative generalizations (in some cases slanderous) and spread negative press without so much as considering the consequences of their actions. I can't tell you how many people we've trained off the top of my head. It's somewhere around 50,000 and we have a n A Rating with the BBB, and have had for the past 10 years! Many of those we've trained are now OUR CLIENTS. That's right! They use us in their stores they THEY run now, because unlike you, they saw the value, gave into the process, stayed focused, stuck to it, and now make well over $100,000+ each year, and love US for what we did for them.

It breaks my heart to know that people (I've seen this happen) go online and read little sections of stuff like what you write and then scream "foul" and don't "scam" and don't come back to the training, touting, "I knew it was too good to be true." Those people never got a chance to truly break free from their own comfort zones and change their lives, all because they read something close minded that someone like you wrote without even knowing what the heck you are talking about.

The internet is supposed to be a place where you can gain knowledge quickly, but I guess by its design it's also a place where you can spread stupid around pretty fast as well. Learn your facts, and make well informed decisions. I hope this email I sent you touched you all in some small way. Maybe just enough to get you to think about the decisions you are going make in more of a 360 degree thought process.

I am the Owner of TK Worldwide, Inc. and I stand behind this company, its people, the processes, the reputation we've built, and lives we've changed. If you are so worried about your money being given back, then don't go through the training if it's offered. I have every applicant (in those situations where we are charging) to read and sign an agreement that states if they don't want to go through the training it won't effect their hirability. Also, being one who stands behind our programs and people, you are not likely to fail if you simply communicate with us in the home office. I have a girl who I pay, health benefits and all to be there JUST FOR YOU if you need her to look over your resume, give professional advice, set up interview opportunities, or just keep you on track.

I too am available, in many ways to assist those who need help. If more negative press come from this thread after I've written all this, than I know there is nothing else I can do here, and I won't be responding to anymore negative internet press. I don't have to prove anything to you, and I am sorry you are bitter. My business with this Email thread is done. God Bless, and should you ever decide you want to explore a career in the automotive industry, I'll pay for your training class myself. All you have to do is ask...
    Sounds like a testimonial for your company. Thanks for your point of view. Stick around though, if you truely want to enlighten those of us who are bitter and ignorant, a dialogue would serve that purpose better than a one and done.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Not to mention he's replying to a year old post....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Not to mention he's replying to a year old post....

oh...well, I look forward to his reply one year from today. ;)
  • ilyaigdalevilyaigdalev Member Posts: 3
    Hey everyone , my name is Ilya Igdalev . And i been looking to get advice from ppl with know how whether is better to pursue Used Car sales or go to work for a New Car Dealer. thanks in advance for any tips .
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,662
    New or Used?

The sales people tell me that there is much more profit in used cars than in new so I would assume that there would be more commission money there too. On the other hand, there are so many ways that dealerships mess with the "profit" on a deal it's hard to tell where the salespeople make the most.

I just saw an ad for a local car dealer which touted "up to 50% commission". I'm not sure if that was for new or used.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ilyaigdalevilyaigdalev Member Posts: 3
    Hey , this is Ilya Igdalev again . Thanks for your response . Yeah the whole 50% commision sounds unbelievable but who knows :) Is there anyone here who worked for an actual dealership who can give me a real insiders perspective , new or used :) thanks in advance , Ilya
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Probably 50% of dealer profit after all costs, not selling price.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
This discussion has been closed.