Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Transmission selector switch problems

sararodeosararodeo Member Posts: 1
1999 v6automatic with 144k miles. Gear shift in floor has one position and selector on dash has another. When this happens, transmission bucks when shifting. Sometimes can cut motor off and restart - shifting slowly to drive and will fix problem. Sometimes "shaking" stick will fix it. It started only happening if shift stick was moved fast, now happens more often. Mechanic says transmission itself is sound. Has anyone got any ideas what this could be and what the cost of repair would be. THANKS

Comments

• Options
    wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Most probably the transmission mode switch. Here is a link to instruction on how to clean it with pictures.

http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/range.pdf

My '00 Trooper and daughter's '02 Rodeo have the problem occasionally. I have seen folks talk about a replacement mode switch being around $150, or installed around $300.
  • Options
    isuzutrollisuzutroll Member Posts: 2
    THE COST DEPENDS ON WERE YOU LIVE.A QUICK FIX IS TO MOVE THE GEAR SELECTOR FROM PARK TO LOW VERY FAST SEVERAL TIMES
    THIS CLEANS THE CONTACTS.THEN RESTART THE CAR.
  • Options
    wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Yep... I had to do that on the way to work this morning in the '00 Trooper. The indicator light in the dash was bouncing all over the place when I shifted back and forth. I pulled into a parking lot and cycled it several times and then restarted. It worked normally after that. I may try to remember to cycle through the gears on a regular basis to try and keep the contacts 'clean' and avoid the slamming gears.

Good day
    Bill
  • Options
    duarte1849duarte1849 Member Posts: 1
    I am getting a problem with the gear indication near the dash and the actual gear that the car is in are not synch. I just recently replaced my neutral safety switch. I do not see how a new NS switch would be faulty and cause these problems.
    At first my car would not start in "P", but would fire up in "N." I was told that this could be due to a faulty NS switch. After replacing the NS switch the car started acting funny.
    It will only mark "P" at the dash when the car is in "P", "R", or "N." It will only mark "2" when in "D", "3", "2", or "L." When driving the car hits high RPMs, because it thinks its in "2."
    Although, it seems as if, once the car warms up or the NS switch gets hot if finds the right gear, and will then indicate that it is in "D." Any Ideas what this can be? Is their a sensor that needs replacing, to synch the two?

'00 Isuzu Rodeo LS V6 3.2L 4WD 197,XXX miles