Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-300 2008+

Comments

• casper1022casper1022 Member Posts: 24
    Correction, the AUTOMATIC transmission for the LUXURY model comes standard they say on the brochure but really it is an extra charge when it comes down to the final cost of the vehicle($1440). My personally thought, your better off with the C350 if you dont mind paying an extra couple hundred bucks for a vehicle which has more horsepower and all the features without having to add cost to the vehicle. PLease have your dealer make a side by side comparison what comes standard meaning no extra cost of both the C300 and the C350 this way it will be clearer to you and since time is of the essence you will need to make your decision fairly soon. Goodluck.
  • tomotomotomotomo Member Posts: 57
    I think the cost of the automatic transmission is actually in how MB now does their pricing! After reviewing my deal and MB Web site I see how MB did their pricing in August 2007. My C300 Luxury was priced at $31,200. for the base car, 723 Pewter $710.,427 Option 7-Speed Auto $1,440.,P01 Option $1,400., 167 Option $260., Destination & Delivery $775.
    Total $35,785.
    From MB Web Site the cost of the transmission is now apparently included in the base price!
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Yeah, I've been watching and reading the back and forth on this, and the previous post has it right - the Luxury pkg consists of the Base car plus the 427 Automatic plus the 167 Lux pkg. Ours with the P1 package [and no metallic paint - we got the white] was $35,075.

I agree that the brochure is deceiving - the way MBUSA "assembles" the Lux package is to take the C280 European Elegance, add the automatic, and the 17" wheels from the EU Avantgarde, and sell it here as the C300 Luxury. Since the "Base" US car is the manual trans C300 Sport, the automatic is technically a "mandatory" option on the C300 Luxury. More complicated than it needs to be....

And before jumping to the 350, remember there is no 350 without the Sport package - that means staggered tire sizes, and the really stupid looking AMG body package [front, side, and rear skirts]. Perhaps next model year, there will be the equivalent of a C350 Lux, but right now, if you want the more conservative look without the AMG add-ons, you have to get the C300 Lux.

And I might add, we are really happy with ours after 5200 miles...
  • be325be325 Member Posts: 91
    We like the C300 Lux interior better than C300 Sport but we like the Sport Grille. So, we were thinking of getting the Sport Grille Conversion Kit ($281 with installation) which includes the grille with the big star without all those additional plastic stuff on the side.
    Has anyone seen a 2008 C300 Lux with the Sport Grille?
    Thanks.
  • areddyareddy Member Posts: 8
    I got the conversion kit for my Lux C300. In all I spent $214 + $55. The sports grill definitely makes the C300 Lux look better when compared to the standard grill. The grill i got first had a slight damage, so check the grill before you get it installed. To me it seemed that the sports grill is not C300 specific and this type of grill is one of the many grills that MB supplies as accessory. Probably if u have an E class car u can add this grill to that also :confuse: , check with the service guy. Does any one know how much the front sports bumper cost? In all I wish MB should have made the interior wood trim as an add on instead of giving options on the exterior styling for the C300.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. We just found out that the dealer will install the new sport grille prior to the delivery for $191 rather than $281.
    Yes, I too have considered this conversion, and may yet do it.

For pix, go to the worldwide MB website, and check out the EU Avantgarde model. That is what a USA "Luxury" with the "Sport" grill would look like.

In the rest of the world, the AMG body add-ons are a separate option pkg that MBUSA decided we "need" on the Sport model. I blame this on the automotive press, and their continual criticism about "bland" styling. The result is a plethora of skirts, wings, spoilers, vents, and misc crap that all adds up to "ugly". For the most extreme version of this madness, check out the C63 AMG - they just didn't know when to stop with the styling add-ons.

[I realize this stuff plays well with the "Fast and Furious" crowd - which, needless to say, ain't me...]
  • bmw_bayareabmw_bayarea Member Posts: 6
    Did anyone order the "Quickpark" accessory on a C300?

We ordered couple months ago. The car is, finally, almost ready for delivery. But, the dealer says they do not know how to install this accessory (basiclly parking sensors that beep when the car is close to objects) because of no training from Mercedes Benz.

I called Mercedes headquarters at Montvale, NJ today. At first, they asked me to find another dealer who knows how to do this. At my persistence, Mercedes said it would talk to the dealer (that we are buying the car from) to make sure they have the manuals, instructions, etc. to do the job.

This is a surprise to us. I am not an expert but the installation cannot that complicated. Also, how can Mercedes not train the dealers to install an accessory that is made available by Mercedes?

Anyone who has installed this accessory, your experience will be appreciated.
    I have to ask....which dealer is the clueless one?
    Excellent observation and comment about the add-ons. All those extras are just extras and they spoil the good thing. Some people like this stuff and so do the accessory suppliers.
    Could you place the link to the worldwide MB website? I am not very savvy with the Internet.
    Thanks.
    The dealer is in the Bay Area, CA. Talked to them again this morning. Now they know how to install. The cost is pretty high though, over $700.

Our other car is a BMW. Same equipment, done for $400 at the factory.

Guess Mercedes has to step up to compete with BMW ....
    Here's the link to the German site.

http://www.mercedes-benz.de/content/germany/mpc/mpc_germany_website/de/home_mpc/- passenger_cars/home/products/new_cars/cclasssaloon/design_lines_equipment/lines.- 0003.html

In the EU, there are three C "lines": Classic, Elegance, and Avantgarde.

Our "Lux" is an Elegance with the 17" optional Avantgarde wheels.
    Our "Sport" is the Avantgarde with an AMG body option, and various other options that are stand-alone extras in the EU and UK.

If you prefer English, the MB UK site has some of the same stuff, but is not really as complete.
  • surfacesurface Member Posts: 6
    I got "quickpark" with our C300 Lux for $618. The dealer sent the parts out to the paint shop to be matched to paint (Palladium Silver) when the car came in. Installed the next day... no real delay, as it took a day to prep & detail the car for delivery anyway. I could be wrong, but seems like I remember reading somewhere that the inside of the bumper comes pre-marked from the factory for the install locations of the sensors... shouldn't be that big a deal. I think the MSRP for the parts is something like $450 sans labor, so I thought $618 color matched & installed was reasonable. We got our car from Gary Gunter in Palm Springs, CA. dealership.

Say, isn't the BMW versions called "slowpark"? :D
    Thanks jrct9454
    Surface,

Thanks for the information. It is helpful. We took delivery of the car today. It looks very nice - Iridium Silver. Quickpark is not installed. Have to to back next week to get it done. Will cost approx. $750.

Question - do you have any issues with Bluetooth pairing? 3 guys came to try to pair the phone to the car. After an hour, still couldn't do it. We are hoping to be able to read the manual and get it paired, over the weekend.

Any experience to share will be appreciated.
  • skybirtskybirt Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a 2008 C300. This will be my first Mercedes. Is there a reason that I should not buy this vehicle (I am also considering a Lexus RX350)?
    I've owned 54 cars since I started driving in 1962, including everything German and Japanese. Our '08 C300, off the first shipment to the West Coast in August, is right up there in the running as the best car we've ever had.

We now have 5200 miles on ours, and it is quick, quiet, smooth, comfortable, and a significant improvement in ride and handling over its predecessor. We have had no issues to report, at all.

Vs an RX350? Well, that's apples and oranges. If you need / want a wagon, then the RX is a good one. All the ones I've seen on the lots are optioned to over $40k, however, and we paid $35k for our C300 Lux with the P1 package. I thought about the RX, ES, and IS before we got our C300, but for various reasons, I'm very happy with our choice.
  • darladdarlad Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone been a passenger on a ride 2 to 8 hours? If so, how was your comfort?
    Are the seats wide enought? Is there enough leg room? Where you able to change seating positions?
  • dragonyipdragonyip Member Posts: 1
    Did you install the conversion kit yourself or install by the dealer. Is $55 for installation fee? Appreciate for your reply.
    Yes it is the charge for labor. Since most dealers are not giving a good discount on the car, I would suggest get it installed at the time of purchase and ask the dealer to wave off the labor charge....
  • jancjanc Member Posts: 1
    I have the lux with the sports grill. barlow metalic red, with buff interior. great look.. it should have been that way from the start.
    All cars on the lot had upgraded stereos so we couldn't test the sound quality of the standard radio. Anyone has C300 with the standard stereo? .... and tried iPod through the Aux in the glove box?
    Thanks for any comments.
    Thanks janc.
    I agree, it looks better. It matches (better) the bottom 'ribs' of the bumper. When you are ready to sell, you can put the Lux Grille back and keep the Sport for the next and updated version.
  • daschedasche Member Posts: 11
    I have the standard stereo and played my MP3 player through the aux... the stereo sounds great to me... my prior car had a Bose system w/subwoofer, no major difference in sound to me. You have to make sure the volume is turned up on your auxiliary device to get maximum volume from the car's system, I didn't realize the volume was down the first time i used it.
    Thanks, good to know that the stereo is OK (enough for an average listeners like us).
    I believe that the stereo in C300 is rated at a100 watts, so we thought that perhaps it is one of the 'economy' type.
    I also have a standard stereo...the Aux works just fine.... only problem I realized is that you need the be carefull when u switch between disc n the aux option....when u use the aux option u need to turn the volume unusually high, even with the MP3 player volume turned to max. So when u switch back to radio or disc...and for that fraction of time the sound from disc is really really loud till u manually reduce the volume. :mad:
  • daschedasche Member Posts: 11
    LOL... yes, I've had that happen a few times when I switched back! :blush:
  • homerjshomerjs Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know whether MB is going to upgrade the engine in the C class. The 335i is so much more appealing from the performance perspective eventhough is the new C is by far a better looking car inside and out. Plus i can't stand the orange light from the BMW
    We own and love a C300, and I guess I have to ask...just how much power do you need to be happy?

If the 3.5 in the C350 is not enough, and you want German rear drive, I guess you just suck it up and buy a 335i. For the things that matter to us, the W204 is a much more suitable car for everyday use than an E90 BMW [runflat tires that are forced on you, less space in the trunk and the cabin, noisier on the road]...but if hp is all that matters, there are lots of other choices in the marketplace.

In sum, no, I do not believe that MBUSA thinks this car needs any more power than a C350 delivers...that's what the C63 is in the lineup to provide.

What I want by way of drivetrain change is in the opposite direction - the 2.2 and 3.0 diesels. Probably late in 2009 as a 2010 model.
  • homerjshomerjs Member Posts: 3
    My 5 ft wife is looking at the C class and the 3 series, something compact and easy to handle. MB might have something mid cycle for the C since many of its competitors are outpowering it, CTS, IS350, G370 to mention a few. The C63 is too extreme as well as in that price range, there is an overwhelming number of cars to choose from. Recently MB offered $5K marketing support for the CLK550. We found out a bit too late so I hope they will bring it back to clear the 2007 model year. At the moment, she is leaning toward the C class which means we will need to wait for the next model year just to be safe. By the way, what's the downside to runflats? Will those wheels accept regular tires? Thanks JR
    I hardly know where to begin - this is a tender topic with current BMW owners...

Runflat tires are 50-100% more expensive to buy than regular tires. They negatively affect ride and noise. Many tire shops are unprepared to repair them [even when they are repairable], and even shops that can fix them wind up recommending replacement more often than repair. Any time after about 5k miles, replacing one really means replacing two, because of treadwear patterns, making the cost difference even more dramatic. And on top of all that, eliminating the spare hasn't given the E90 3er a trunk any bigger than the W204 C-class.

Simple rule of thumb: if you want a SPORTS SEDAN, buy the BMW; if you want a TOURING CAR, buy the Mercedes. We're very clear on what we want [and I've had plenty of BMWs in my time], and we are very happy owners of a C300 Lux.
  • ppattersonppatterson Member Posts: 22
    Does anyone know why Mercedes won't offer the Bluetec option with the C-Class. I was speaking with a sales person at one of the dealerships in Atlanta. It sounded like there was some political reason behind the decision not to offer the option.
    It's coming, and it appears to be mostly a matter of priority. MBUSA has stated that they don't want to put any diesel in any model in the future that isn't 50-state compliant. That in turn has led to a series of decisions about which models in the lineup get first priority on being tested and certified with the new diesel technology. For reasons that I don't personally agree with, the emphasis has been on the big, heavy stuff - GL, ML, and R - probably because they get more positive buzz from mileage improvements here than with the rest of the lineup.

For some reason, the E has been given a pass on all this - it has been allowed to have the diesel all along, and will get the urea-injection technology first [ when the W212 E is due here as a 2010 model in early 2009].

I expect the C will get the diesel, finally, in our market also in calendar 2009, but in the fall when the 2010 models are introduced. I personally am hoping for the 2.2 to be offered here in the C, but it is more likely that the emphasis will be on the 3.0 V6.

As mileage standards get more stringent, and pressure builds for all manufacturers to do something about global warming, I expect the entire Mrecedes lineup in the USA to be available with diesels, and/or the new "dies-otto" engine, which combines a spark ignition with compression ignition in the same combustion chamber. But that's in the middle of the next decade.

Long answer....shorter version: sometime in 2009-10. I don't know that I'd describe "politics" as the problem - it's a combination of how much it costs to certify a new drivetrain for both the EPA and CARB, and the usual reluctance of the dealer body to get behind anything that doesn't improve "performance" or sound sexy. If the dealers were more enthusiastic, this would have already happened. If that's "political", then so be it....
  • derspeedderspeed Member Posts: 6
    I ordered mine in mid-November and picked it up on December 20, 2007. I have a C 300 Sport, white with black interior, P1, Manual 6 speed transmission (because I love manuals) and the 18" AMG wheels. Coming from a 2003 Passat (which I loved), I had considerd many cars, including the 335i coupe and sedan. The new B8 Audi A4 was also in the running. I deceided on the Benz in August when I saw it in-person. All of the other choices disappeared from my thoughts. I am quite happy with my decision. I decided to go with a one-pay lease, but negotiated a price that was $495 over invoice. At the end of 27 months with no payments, I can buy the car for $24,750.00. I definitely intend to buy it. This car is very nice. Maybe a little short on hp, but well worth the price. Even with the sport suspension it rides great. Last year, my best friend bought a 335i with the sport package and few other options for close to $50,000. When he rode in my car this weekend, he said "if this would have been available when I was looking, I would have chosen it over the 335i." Don't get me wrong, I love the 335i, but the C300, in my opinion, has a presence that can't be matched by any of the other vehicles I considered.

Notes:
    -My Passat was heavily modified. Modifications included H&R sport springs, Bilstein struts/ shocks and 18" wheels. With those modifications, the ride was better than my friend's 335i with the sport package. The C300 Sport has a firm ride, but it is not harsh or jittery. It feels great and the handling is quite sharp.

-Some members asked about the C300 Luxury transmission. It only comes with an automatic and the higer price is about equivalent to the C300 Sport with the automatic option.

-Your iPod has to be turned all the way up when it is plugged into the aux port. I thought mine was malfunctioning until I turned up the volume. The dealership did my bluetooth sync and it works great. I need to figure out how to send my phonebook (business card) to the car though.

Anyway, I hope my review of the car helps prospective buyers.

Here's mine http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i77/BryanB55/MyMercedesC300001.jpg">
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    ". . .I hope my review of the car helps. . ."

Definitely. Thanks.

Be sure to come back every six months or so and let us know how it's going. The main issue MB has to overcome is the abysmal reliability reputation that's been accumulated over the past several years, especially related to electrical/electronic components.

Good luck, and enjoy,
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    We are now at the 5 month point, with 5500 miles on our C300 Lux.

We have no issues to report. Everything works.

The ride-handling compromise continues to be the most impressive feature of the car - both are a distinct improvement over the W203 C-class, and I think beats the E90 BMW 3er. The latter is the better handler, but at the expense of a harder ride and more road noise.

Just couldn't be happier at this point, with the exception that I would have preferred to have the 2.2 diesel.
    I am not sure if this question belongs in this section.
    Our new C300 Lux we programmed for the day-time running lights. I believe there is a safety issue in having them on ... as other people can see you better. Perhaps, it is unnecessary because it is not required by the law, unless it is raining. Does any one know if these headlights always work at a 100% of their capacity? I remember other car makers advbertizing that their day-time lights were operating at 33% capacity (during the day) to extend their longevity and still make you more visible.
    Thanks.
  • diakonosdiakonos Member Posts: 2
    all of your posts are very informative. thanks for all your help so far. would asking $30,500 cash out the door be low balling them? Is anyone here in the So Cal area? for those who own the c300 sport, what is the most inconvenient feature? what is a good reason why this is a good buy even though it's a 1st gen car?

thanks in advance for your input.
  • theosophe74theosophe74 Member Posts: 1
    I have the C300 2008 Luxury Sedan with the PI, PII and Multimedia packages.

When I first started using the built-in navigation system, the audible commands from the system (turn left, turn right, etc.) were very audible.

Now they are very soft, to the point that I have to turn down the radio to almost off to hear them.

Is there some setting that controls the volume of the navigation system audible commands?

Thanks,
    Mike
    The DTLs run at a reduced level compared with the conventional headlights.

Law or no law, they are a good idea.

But for real low visibility situations, you need to use the regular headlight switch choices - only these turn on the headlights to full lumens, and most importantly, light up the taillights. The automatic feature can do this for you, but there are times when the only thing to do is intervene yourself and make sure you're showing full lighting both forward and backward.

In any case, if the DTLs were unavailable, I'd run with the headlights on. You need all the help you can get as insurance against drivers and pedestrians who are too busy talking on the phone or otherwise not paying full attention.
  • lkmc01lkmc01 Member Posts: 8
    Agree. Just bought a C300 sport - automatic. Liked it much better than a BMW 5-Series (used) I test drove. Mostly because it fit me better and handled better. Paid list price, but I didn't think I had a lot of room to negotiate. I've yet to see another one on the road.
    I had the iPod integration kit installed and am now questioning that decision a bit because I now don't have the port available and would like to have satellite radio. I should have picked the model with the Satellite radio option already installed. The integration is nice though and I use my iPod a lot - I just keep a second iPod in the glove box. I don't have the issue you have with volume because it is all handled through the sound system. Not sure what to do about the Satellite radio issue now.
  • derspeedderspeed Member Posts: 6
    I will probably do the iPod integration kit in the spring. My C stays stored during the winter as it's mainly a toy. Is the integration kit worth it? My salesman talked me out of it, but after living with just the jack, I think it would be a worthwhile upgrade. I want to get the spoiler and install clear-bra first though.
    Thanks.
    Very good response .... lots of common sense in it about safety.
    OK after just taking a couple of 2 hour drives; I'm thinking the integration kit may not be worth it. Unless I'm missing something (possible) - you still have to choose a playlist before you plug it in and if you are driving and you don't like the playlist - it is hard/unsafe to get to in the glove box. It is nice though to use the steering wheel controls and have the iPod turn down when the phone rings - does that happen with just the jack too? As I only have about 600 miles on the car, I still have a lot of best use things to figure out yet. Fun to drive though!
  • tbtmediatbtmedia Member Posts: 21
    I just picked up the C300 Sport about 2 weeks ago. Great car and am very happy. The dealer tried to sell me the tire warranty for $600---he kept telling me that the tires have a very low profile and he would strongly recommend getting the warranty which covers the tires and the rims -- which if you get a flat he claims can run about $900 to replace.

I had such bad luck on my Audi A6 before as they put Pirelli tires on which were garbage and all four inevitably blew, one at a time.

Anyone have a) any problems so far w/ the tires and b) any advice? Please advise and thanks-
  • tbtmediatbtmedia Member Posts: 21
    I just got the car too and don't love the integration kit. I did call the dealer as I had the same question as you did. Once the ipod is playing, you should hit the "Telephone Hang Up button" on the steering wheel--that brings up the playlists and then you can navigate through those-sort of strange but it works.

For a company that touts safety, the ipod in the glove box is not safe at all-
    Hope you are enjoying the car-
    Excellent tip on the Telephone Hang Up Button. Still need to play with it a bit to figure it out completely. Much better!

Wish I'd gotten the PO1 package - I think I miss XM radio and heated seats even though I live in the south...
  • rlm51rlm51 Member Posts: 21
    Not sure if this is the correct forum, but here goes ...

Took my C300 in for service today, primarily for the complimentary 1K - 3K service but also had them investigate squeaking noise from brakes that started a week or so ago. They replaced the pads, resurfaced the rotors and from what I can tell, pretty much did a complete brake job. All fine and good, them being proactive and all. However, I am now very nervous about problems with a fundamental system in a brand new vehicle. The service rep. (and manager) gave me 10 reasons why, from mag chloride to "just one of those things."

Just curious if anyone else has had a problem with brakes, if this may be a symptom of a larger issue (reliability?), or ... ? By the way, this is my first MB (and first German since a decades-ago Opel).

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Bob in the Mile High city
    Our C300 Lux is now going on 6 months old, and 5500 miles. The brakes are one of the strengths of the car - very powerful, no noise, less dust than we've ever had on a German car.

I have heard of owners who will get some squeaking if the car has gone a long time between car washes - dust buildup around the pads can cause this - but it has no functional significance, and goes away the first time the brakes are washed as part of a general car cleaning.

To be honest, I think your dealership may have overreacted, but heaven knows, that's better than the opposite.

[This is my 15th MB, out of 55 cars overall since 1962, at least half of which have been German.]
  • summervacationsummervacation Member Posts: 1
    This story sounds oh so familiar. Bought a 2008 C300 Luxury late November 2007. Within two weeks heard squeaking - took it to dealer, said they heard the squeak and fixed it. A week later, squeak was back, took it back to the dealer. Said they heard squeak again and fixed it. Two weeks later, squeak is back for the third time - dealer once again said they heard it, and once again fixed it. The three times it has been in the shop - dealer pretty much did the same thing as yours - replaced pads, resurfaced rotors, etc.

Now car is back in shop. Squeak is still there - dealer said they have two other customers with the same exact problem, same car. Now they have no idea what is causing the squeak and will talk to Mercedes about it and possibly start a file - whatever that means.

This is my first MB - always drove Lexus/Infiniti - very frustrated and very concern that such a new vehicle has been in the shop four times within two months.

Is anyone else out having this problem?