Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• 3kidsinback3kidsinback Member Posts: 74
    I'm happy with the car, too. I would be ecstatic if Hyundai and NHSTA would get their act together and keep the owners up to date!
  • justloujustlou Member Posts: 35
    People need to have patience. It isn't going to be resolved overnight.
    Yes, patience is very important.

So is the due diligence to find out why there have been so many fuel pump failures in such a short time. Overnight? According to the NHTSA's website, the investigation began on or about July 17th, over 2 weeks ago. The point is I would expect that such a safety issue would be fast-tracked and the fix be evident by now!
  • schukanuosladyschukanuoslady Member Posts: 118
    I cannot find a manufacturer date anyplace on my door. I must be missing something here. It rained all day so tomorrow hubby is going ot check his door and mine. :confuse:
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Open the door, standing outside, facing the car, drivers side, on your right side there is a post, about where the back of the front seat is located, and the rear door is fastened. Look on that post, toward the bottom it should be there. If not, I am at a total loss.

van
    Thanks. I checked inside all 4 doors yesterday and couldn't find anything. What I did find was a white sticky paper all over the place with my vin number. Hubby said because we didn't pay the extra money they didn't mark our vin number all over the car and pull the paper. Am I the only one who has a vin number on every door all over? And I will try one more time to find the manufacturer date using the above info. So far I can't find a thing.
    I can't believe the dealer would not give the one a rental. Hyundai pays for it, not the dealer. Geshhh.. Hubby had a rental from NJ. And when his car got towed to NY, he turned the rental in and started using his 98 pathfinder. Our dealer offered him a loaner and he said save it for someone who needed it.

I now have 1185 miles on my car. I just hope if it goes it happens in my town.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Sorry, but it bugs me....did you ever find that "manufacturers label" that includes the date, etc ??

van
  • kennedy1707kennedy1707 Member Posts: 3
    The dealership tried fixing my new 08 Elantra which died on the road a few weeks ago by putting in a new fuel pump. That didn't solve the problem so now they're waiting for a new transmission to be shipped from California to put that in. However, when I called to see how the repair was progressing, they said they had originally planned to put in a REBUILT transmission in my new car but the 08 tranmission was redesigned. Is it legal for them to give me a "used" part when I paid for a new car with new parts? And if the transmission isn't the answer, what is left to fix? Any other 08 Elantra owners been through this? Thanks.
  • cyshescyshes Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know how long these investigations normally take? Ii.e. 1-2 months, or could it be longer?
    I'm debating on whether to wait this out, or just look for another vehicle. I am not necessarily worried that the SE will run out, I know a few dealers have called me saying they have SE automatics in stock.
    Sorry, but it bugs me....did you ever find that "manufacturers label" that includes the date, etc ??

van

Nope, can't find it anyplace. I found the air bag warning on the drivers side. I found the tire label and all that stuff on the post where I was told to look. But for the life of me I have looked all over that car in the cracks and all the doors and can't find anything with a date. I remember my Toyota Tacoma have a little black lable with silver writing and I know what I am looking for. You don't suppose someone removed it do you?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If the car was repaired/repainted after a collision, the plate could have been removed. :sick: Any evidence your car was not brand new when you bought it? Also, did you look at the bottom corner of the driver's door?
  • gomst1gomst1 Member Posts: 58
    The sticker you are looking for is a black sticker with a bar code that is located just below the bottom hinge of the drivers side, rear door. From the top of my head, it is called FMVSS sticker which is a goverment mandated sticker. If it is not in that location, bring it back to the dealer. They are not suppose to sell you a new vehicle that is missing that sticker. Your vehicle may have been in an accident as mention by backy but somebody forgot to replace that sticker.
  • alcourtsalcourts Member Posts: 2
    My 2008 Elantra SE bought in May has had two "episodes" of stalling. The first (at 1100 mi) on July 14 occurred on the freeway and began as a slight hesitation that got progressively worse such that we took the next exit and limped home on back roads. The check engine light came on and the car stalled twice before we finally made it home. The next day I was able to drive it to the dealer about 5 miles away.

Their diagnosis was a bad oxygen sensor which they didn't have in stock. They said it would be ok to drive the car until the new sensor arrived. It ran fine and 3 days later I took it in to have the sensor replaced. They ran diagnostics again and said the sensor was ok and needn't be replaced. They said maybe it was bad gas or vapor lock and sent me on my way.

The car ran fine until this afternoon when it began hesitating (1436 mi) on the freeway and once again I took the first exit and limped home, unable to exceed 25 mph, bucking all the way. My wife followed me to the dealer but we never made it as the Elantra shut down completely in rush hour traffic and I had to get out and push into a nearby parking lot. I called HRA and had the car trucked to the dealer, only about 4 blocks away. It was interesting to note the expressions of the show room customers and salesman as the almost new Elantra arrived and was dumped in the parking lot.

I don't know if it is a bad fuel pump or something else. All I know for sure is that I have an unreliable car that my wife refuses to ride in. I really like the car when it is running well, but until a definitive diagnosis and repair is done I can't trust this car beyond short grocery runs.

I think my Elantra was built in February 08 (can't verfiy as car is at dealer).
    Suggest informing the service manger of the fuel pump safety investigation. Also recommend you call Hyundai corporate office and express your concern, as well as filing a report with the NHTSA. The only way the investigators will know what the problem is by having as much data as possible.

Were you given a loaner?

Good luck and please post your outcome!
    FWIW, I just called the NHSTA for an update. As usual, there wasn't anything new to report (but I did find this on their website):

http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Pursuits/20- 08/PE/INOA-PE08044-61690.pdf

The customer service rep did encourage me to ask everyone who has a failure to call ASAP. They consider this "early" in the typical investigation timeframe. Great. They're waiting for more "real world" failures to see what to do next!
    There's not much they can do with only 4 reported possible failures out of 167,000 vehicles sold.
    If you read the report, its from 7/17/2008. It is also the day he called me on the phone to get the phone number of the police dept. that handled the 3 vehicle crash caused because of my husband's fuel pump failing. Since this was put on the internet there are now over 24 reports when I last looked. He needed the police report to confirm the accident and injuries from the accident. Luckily my husband was not hit. But I feel sorry for the girl in the SUV who is going to get charged with the accident. We are waiting for the police report to be mailed to us and I am hoping her address is on it and I plan on informing all 3 of the owners involved in the accident of the Hyundai part in this. Its not fair this poor girl is going to be sued because of my husband's car stopping with only 337 miles on it. I am going to make sure they know so they can alert their insurance companies as the person hurt had their car pushed into an 18 wheeler. The problem is NOT everyone is reporting and only the dealers know how many cars have really failed with the fuel pump. Which I presume that is what they meant when they said Hyundai is co-operating. I now have 1298 miles on my car. I am getting the sluggish bit again under 25 miles an hour. They only fixed it (but said they did nothing) a week ago. Today I had a hard time getting a smooth ride until I was over 45 and my cruise control was losing power too. But I did not break down. I know its only a matter of time.
  • ez888ez888 Member Posts: 39
    I really wonder about how many bad fuel pumps are out there. Obviously, every 2008 Elantra owner doesn't visit online forums to learn about these issues. I agree with Hyundai about not releasing something at this point since it sounds like a very small percentage of cars having this issues. It's of course a bug inconvenience to those who have had the issue, but why give yourself bad press if you don't really need to...yet? Unfortunately, new cars aren't excluded from having issues- buying any car is a crapshoot. I would be more upset if the issue wasn't fixed correctly or if someone received poor service in bringing the car in.

About a bad fuel pump causing an accident- that's a little of a stretch for me. Cars die out all the time on the road- even on expressways traveling at high speeds. Hopefully cars following are aware enough to stop and not swerve uncontrollably. I think the reason there are accidents (most of the times) is because people are driving too fast and aren't allowing enough space between cars. Now if the fuel pump going out causes the brakes to lock up immediately, that would be another issue.

I just hope this isn't a wide spread issue and if it is, hopefully hyundai puts out the proper recall and it's taken care of appropriately.

Sorry to those who are having issues- good luck!
    eric
  • gburgrunrgburgrunr Member Posts: 5
    Hey Eric,

It is not just an inconvenience, it is a SAFETY HAZARD. If your car loses power/stalls on a major highway, like mine did on I-95 with people travelling at high speeds - People could get hurt or die. Maybe if you live in "hickville" you have drivers who are practicing safe driving but in areas like DC/VA/MD/NJ/PA/NY and a host of others, the probability of an accident increases exponentially. It is that type of ignorance/cavalier attitude about an issue like this that will get someone seriously hurt. Companies shouldn't wait for the worse to happen to take action.
  • wobbly_earswobbly_ears Member Posts: 160
    I'm a Hyundai fan, but I don't think I can agree with you on this.

There are some components which are designed NOT to fail during a normal operation. Things like Steering, Brakes, and, FUEL system. These are supposed to be designed with very high Factor of Safety. The fact that fuel pumps are failing is alarming because that means that either design is bad or manufacturing is bad. These are NOT supposed to fail during normal operation.
    "If you read the report, its from 7/17/2008. It is also the day he called me on the phone to get the phone number of the police dept. that handled the 3 vehicle crash caused because of my husband's fuel pump failing. Since this was put on the internet there are now over 24 reports when I last looked."

Are these 24 reports on a message forum or to the NTSB? I still only see 4 reports to the NTSB, which is the only place that will matter.
    Are these 24 reports on a message forum or to the NTSB? I still only see 4 reports to the NTSB, which is the only place that will matter.

Well, lets see. I didn't even know about this website until it was posted a few days ago and our report to the NTSB is number 18. And if you go thru each one you will see they are reports done thru the NTSB. I NEVER posted anything here. That means the NTSB posted it.

http://www.aboutautomobile.com/complaint/2008/HYUNDAI/ELANTRA
    My title says bought new with 14 miles on it. And I put 10 of those miles on it test driving it. Do you think it had a crash on the way to the dealer? Maybe when they were unloading it in the Port Of Newark? I will have to tell hubby when he gets his load to the Port tomorrow to see if he sees more Hondas coming off the container ships as he saw a whole ship full last week. Maybe he can get a look to see how careful they are taking them off the ship and loading the car carriers. :)
    No idea. I was simply offering one reason why the sticker with manufacturing date would not be on a car.
    About a bad fuel pump causing an accident- that's a little of a stretch for me. Cars die out all the time on the road- even on expressways traveling at high speeds. Hopefully cars following are aware enough to stop and not swerve uncontrollably. I think the reason there are accidents (most of the times) is because people are driving too fast and aren't allowing enough space between cars. Now if the fuel pump going out causes the brakes to lock up immediately, that would be another issue.

If that 18 wheeler and SUV and car hit my husband (3 lane highway in NJ) do you think Hyundai would have enough money for a lawsuit for my husband getting killed due to their defective fuel pump. Evidently you need to talk to a REAL mechanic or maybe a State troooper to see just how many cars/trucks with problems cause accidents. :mad:
    Hubby just called. I told him about maybe my car not having a sticker and he knows what everyone is talking about. He is going to check his car tomorrow when he gets back from OH to NJ. Then he is going to check mine when he gets home Sat. morning. If he can't find them he said we are driving both vehicles back to the dealer to find out whats up with no sticker. He told me he knows where his is on his 18 wheeler and says..yes...it is a mandatory thing. I told him last week I couldn't find it, but he didn't listen to me. Now that I told him was was posted here he is finally taking me serious. I think he didn't pay attention to me last week when I mentioned it as all you husbands do have a tendancy to sometimes tune your wives out now and than... :shades: :)

I know mine does and he is my 3rd. So, that said, the 3 threes stand for Dead, Divorced, but not desparate on the last one. He is the best. :):)
    i can understand how it can increase the odds of an accident- especially in heavy populated areas. my old car died out a couple times on a busy chicago expressway and when it died, the power steering didn't work but i was still able to turn the car and apply the brakes appropriately and get over to the shoulder. maybe i was lucky and i don't mind rolling the dice. i know i probably shouldn't trust others' driving abilities that much.

it would be nice for companies to act when just handful of issues arise; however, it just doesn't make financial sense. i know i know, money isn't everything and safety is more important, but would it make sense to recall 100s of thousands of cars if it only is affecting less than 2% of the cars? i say no, but can appreciate others' opinions.

would i like to see them recall all 2008 elantras? yes, but i just don't think it's realistic until it's proven there's a bigger issue out there.

maybe i just jinxed myself with my elantra :) we'll see.

have a good one.
    eric
    i think hyundai would have enough money- maybe that's unfortunate that large companies can settle lawsuits with not much negative impact to their bottom line; it's like a slap on the hand. i would hope car manufacturers wouldn't want to have the bad press; however, looks like they don't mind rolling the dice either.

i used to work on the tollway in chicago and saw many accidents and fatal ones all the time- i know car problems can cause accidents; however, a large percentage can be avoided. i'm not trying to minimize your husband's situation- sorry that happened. i just don't think hyundai will do anything about this issue until more are brought to their attention. i wish they would but don't see it happening anytime soon.

take care.
    eric
    There will be no general action (e.g. recall) taken until: 1) the problem is pinpointed, 2) they know which cars are affected, and 3) the parts are available to fix the problem. If it is a faulty fuel pump, it's very possible that only a fraction of the current-gen Elantras are affected. It would do little good to recall all current-gen Elantras if only a few are affected.
    I just came out of a Toyota Tacoma recall. I found the Toyota forum and a yr ago people were reporting what was happening to their trucks. It ended up with Toyota Tacomas 1995 - 2000 getting recalled and all being checked at the dealers. They even knew which vin #s were affected. The letters are still going out. And my 1997 almost mint condtion Taco was affected. The frame was soft and getting holes in strategic areas of importance.

And I had been posting over there in that forum and when hubby's car had the problem I found this forum. Now considering that forum was posting for 8 months before Toyota did anything.....well... I wouldn't doubt Hyundai is trying to narrow down vin #s to send letters out to. My truck was actually bought off me at 150% of the KBB value of what a dealer would sell it for in excellant condition so Toyota could take it back and crush it. Their letter read 183,000 trucks affected.

So, I bought my Elantra with the check from Toyota. I know there is a problem, I know hubby almost got killed. But I just want to see anyone with a fuel pump get it fixed before someone gets killed. I love my Elantra. I am very happy with the mileage, the room and the price.

Kinda crappy that I lost my truck that never had a engine problem and bought something I have to worry about. But after being thru a recall where I lost my paid off vehicle of 11 yrs, this fuel pump thing is an annoying factor because I have to worry everytime I go someplace am I going to break down.

I think Hyunda should have enough data by now to know approx. what vehicles are affected to have them brought in to the dealer and checked.
    Not sure what you mean by "check" them. IMO, the only action that can be taken once the problem is pinpointed (e.g. a faulty batch of fuel pumps) and the affected cars are identified (e.g. a range of manufacture dates, or VINs) is to notify those owners to bring their cars in ASAP and replace the fuel pumps. By the time they pull the pump out of the fuel tank, they might as well replace the pump rather than try to determine if there's something wrong with it, or something will go wrong with it.

As to how much data Hyundai has and whether it's enough for them and the NHTSA to announce the action plan... well, I wouldn't presume to know more than they do at this point. They probably have info you and I are not privy to.
  • clemenceclemence Member Posts: 3
    I will be buying a car this week and don't know which one to get. I might be able to get an Elantra for $16,000 with the leather package. The Fits are running about the same price. I am not sure about the Corolla...probably 19,000.

I am also wondering when the new Elantras are coming out and if they are going to do deep discounts on the 08's. The problem is, I need one now.

Consumer Reports highly recommends the Elantra, but it seems like the Toyota lines have been steady through the years.

Help! Any ideas/suggestions/tips?
    Not sure what you mean by "check" them. IMO, the only action that can be taken once the problem is pinpointed (e.g. a faulty batch of fuel pumps) and the affected cars are identified (e.g. a range of manufacture dates, or VINs) is to notify those owners to bring their cars in ASAP and replace the fuel pumps. By the time they pull the pump out of the fuel tank, they might as well replace the pump rather than try to determine if there's something wrong with it, or something will go wrong with it.

As to how much data Hyundai has and whether it's enough for them and the NHTSA to announce the action plan... well, I wouldn't presume to know more than they do at this point. They probably have info you and I are not privy to.

As I posted before, I believe it is up to the 2008 Elantra owners to call Hyundai to express their concern about the faulty fuel pump, even if you don't have a problem now. Tell them "do you know how disconcerting it is to be driving a vehicle with a known safety investigation open, with the potential failure of my vehicle being raw data for said investigation?" If we express our concerns appropriately it will hopefully do some good, at least letting Hyundai know that it's customers are paying attention.

Can we do a roll call of who called and experiences with the corporate office?

Drive safely and keep a lookout for the check engine light!
    IMO, Elantra is the better all-around car with more features and space for the money. Hondas hold their value better. Be mindful of the current safety investigation regarding the fuel system. Check out the reviews of each car you're interested in and don't be afraid to ask the dealer to take one out overnight or a few hours. The 2009 Fit should be out later this year, you may want to wait. But the 2008 Elantra should be well discounted (especially the GLS). Call your dealer to see when the 2009s are out.
    Can we do a roll call of who called and experiences with the corporate office?

Me.... I have a case number due to my car being sluggish under 25 miles an hour. And they gave me the case number, told me to keep it and have the car hooked up to the diagnostics at the dealer who of course said....nothing wrong. I don't believe them. And like you said before.... I think they recalbirated it too now as it was fine for almost a week after I took it to the dealer and now it is starting in again.
    The Elantra (and Corolla) and the Fit are totally different kinds cars. So the first question you need to ask yourself is, do I need a hatchback/wagon or is a sedan OK? That question alone could steer you to the Fit (although the Matrix is another option).

One big advantage the Elantra (SE only) and Corolla have over the Fit IMO is that electronic stability control is available (standard on the SE). VSA will be available on the highest-level trim of the 2009 Fit (Sport with nav), if you don't mind paying close to $19k + T&L for a Fit.

The Corolla with leather will probably cost more than $19k + T&L. A fairly spartan LE is over $18k, and big discounts are hard to come by due to $4 a gallon gas.

If you are looking for a good all-around car at the lowest price, and you don't need a hatchback or ESC, then the 2008 Elantra GLS would be your best bet. Some dealers (e.g. Towne Hyundai) are selling automatics with PEP for around $13k + T&L with the $1500 rebate. If you can find an SE with leather for around $16k + T&L, I think that is a good deal at this time, considering how popular the SEs are.

Have you driven all these cars yet? You might be able to decide just from a long test drive in each car. The Elantra and Corolla have some similarities in ride, but the Fit is much different.
    i've driven in all 3 and still like the elantra the best. as others have said, corolla and elantra are quite similar; however, elantra has more room inside, drives smoother, and has better options at a cheaper price.

the fit is a total different type of a car. they are nice; however, pricier- my friend bought one 3 weeks ago and no dealer in the chicagoland area would go under sticker price since they're a hot commodity. my friend also owns a new nissan versa and he likes that better than the fit- says it is more comfortable and drives better.
  • skepticalskeptical Member Posts: 65
    Hi,

Hmm...that's a biggie question...three pretty good cars, but Hundyai is still new to being considered with Honda and Toyota--yes consumer reports came out with the glowing report....

but so much of what goes into this also depends on who you are and what you want.

Some of my friends still warn to stay clear of the Hundyai, but I'm uncertain myself.

When you say now, do you mean like "yesterday"? Cause I believe the new Honda Fit's are due out end of Sept (?) and the new Elantra's I don't know when...

I'd recommend to read the various forums--great info..

If you go over to the Elantra '08 forum, you will find many fuel pump problems are arising from the 08's...this is not to say yours would have this, of course--but they are happening at an alarming rate and to date no recall issued--a true safety concern. Yes, it has a long warranty, but maybe that's cause you'll need it! (?)

I think Honda Fit (go to that forum too) is awesome if you can deal with no armrest and no seat height adjustment. The "09 will be even better and with armrest but no height adjustment..If you are short, the Fit actually 'fits' better than if you are tall, IMO--and you can just toss in a comfy cushion to raise you higher.

But if you are tall, or anticipate tall people driving, this could be a problem.

I just love hatchbacks, to throw all my stuff in-- and Honda is a great solid company. But that's me--maybe not you at all.

But you need to ask yourself what is most important to you?

Safety? Price? Resale? Comfort? Hatchback? Color choices?

MPG: they all are around the same, I think--but you can research this at
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/ratings2008.shtml
    click on "Find and compare cars"

And you need to test drive all three carefully--pay attention to comfort and
    other things and try to imagine if you would be comfortable with the car for the
    next 3-5 years...

I found the 'O9 Corolla overpriced and lackluster, frankly. It did not live up to it's hype, but it was fine enough--and as a Toyota, I'm sure it's also going to do well by you and if you like it, that's all that matters...

Here's another tip:

Don't tell salespeople you need a car NOW--they love desperate and eager customers. Stick to a price somewhere between invoice and MSRP that seems fair and tell them this is what you are willing to pay. Be willing to walk out-there are many other dealers out there who will give you what you want.

Don't forget--They are eager to move the '08's off the lot, as they need room for the next batch coming in....

Best of luck--when in doubt, don't do it--there is no cooling off period, so if you need to sleep on it, than tell them you are tired and will come back the next day. Or maybe go for a long lunch and call some friends for advice...You are the buyer and they want your business.

Finally, remember--there is NO PERFECT CHOICE--they all have pros and cons, and all will please and disappoint no doubt to some degree or another...

Good luck--hopefully others will also chime in--I am no expert, but this is just from my last couple of months' experience!
    Yes, it has a long warranty, but maybe that's cause you'll need it! (?)

I could talk about my nine total years of Elantra ownership experience (two cars) with the most serious problem that was the fault of the car being a bad O2 sensor on my 2001 Elantra (fixed in less than an hour). But that's only one data point. Here's what CR says about the reliability of the Elantra, Fit, and 2009 Corolla:

Elantra: Much better than average
    Fit: Much better than average
    Corolla: Too new to predict reliability
    I never in my life thought I would own a Hyundai. Not to sound vain, but my last 4 new cars were Cadillacs. My sister turned me on to Hyundai when she bought a Tuscan a few years ago. Recently, my wife was due for a new car so I bought her an Elantra. She loves the thing, and even I'm impressed with it, for the price.
    Yeah, well that's really good to hear...

but I sense (and hear from others) the Hyundai still has a stigma to live down--CR folks live in the lab, and they like to pull out underdogs...which is good (I love CR)--but folks take a while to catch up to this sort of thing...I know a lot of people who won't touch a Korean made car (even though I think this is stigma and stereotype for the most part).

I bet dollar for dollar, the Hondas will bring in better re-sale--especially the civic v. the elantra....Honda has been voted the Greenest company overall with all their efforts to bring on new hybrids and low emissions cars (Civic).....

But the Corolla? No, because it's too much to begin with...and it's still the same boring look (albeit, much better safety now).
  • vad128vad128 Member Posts: 9
    "Can we do a roll call of who called and experiences with the corporate office?"

I've been calling Hyundai of America periodically to get updates on the investigation and ask when Hyundai plans to respond. I get the same party line every time I call: "as of now, Hyundai has not yet received any notification from the NHTSA. It is hard to predict if and when any action will take place. Keep in mind you have a 10-year warranty, so if your car starts to have a problem, just bring it in to your dealer for service."
    Edmunds has great information, and here's another article that may help with your decision. Best of luck with whatever you decide! :)

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Affordable-Small-Cars/-
    I hope you are right about all those people who won't touch a Korean-made car. Because the more people who stay clear of the Elantra, the better the chance that sales won't keep soaring and prices won't keep climbing as they have been, and I'll be able to get a super deal on one if I buy one this fall. :)

Your comment about CR liking underdogs is interesting, because for many years there were charges that CR discriminated against Korean cars in their rankings. Now that Korean cars like the Elantra are getting kudos from CR, there's talk of their pulling for underdogs. LOL. Could it be that the Elantra is simply a good car? Nah. ;)

I expect that a Civic would command a higher price on resale than an Elantra--because the Civic costs thousands more up front than an Elantra, comparably equipped. Naturally the Elantra will sell for less used. How much less? My '04 Elantra has depreciated less than $5000 from my purchase price for a private-party sale in 4.5 years, according to Edmunds.com and KBB. That's less than $100/month depreciation. I'll take that kind of depreciation anytime. But I didn't buy my Elantra because it costs thousands less than the Civic. I bought it because I liked it better than the Civic (also the Corolla), and it offered features (hatchback, leather, traction control etc.) that at the time could not be found on ANY Civic.

As for low emissions, the Elantra is available as a PZEV. Is the non-hybrid Civic available as a PZEV?
    Backy,

You sound defensive. I'm not wanting to get into an right/wrong power struggle with you.

I should have known better to say I prefer Honda on a Hyundai forum! (Although I see you too are considering a Honda Fit as per your bio ), and you've said positive things about the civic as well (???)

I was just trying to help the poster with what is ultimately a very private and personal decision by letting them know what I know and giving them some pointers.

The best expert is you--the person buying the car, provided you've done some adequate research, you know what you want, you know your budget, you know what you will feel good driving for the next 3-5 years...

Btw, by saying Consumer Reports likes to occasionally redeem themselves by bringing out underdogs does not mean that they are also not telling the truth. I never said that--that's your addition/distortion to what I said. I don't think they'd risk giving a car a high rating if it really wasn't good--that would be idiotic of them and open up huge liability. AND they do like to bring out underdogs when they find them--especially after being accused of being biased...

Look, this decision is not about right/wrong...they're all decent enough cars-- as I said none are perfect--they all have their pros and cons. The key is to find the one that is most perfect for who you are and what your needs are right now, IMHO.

In the final analysis, it just comes down to personal preference and gut instincts after you've done some good basic research from places like Edmunds and CR and from test driving and from reading some of these forums re: problems people are honest and humble enough to admit to after purchasing their car.

I notice some folks have genuine regrets, and I respect these folks for speaking their truth to help future buyers--rather than feeling the need to be right about what they bought above all else.

Best of luck to you and everyone making such an individual decision as this!
    Defensive? No. But I think it would be more helpful to prospective buyers to talk about the merits (or demerits) of the cars themselves rather than opinions about whether lots of people would never touch a Korean car and whether CR roots for underdogs or not. Personally I don't find those kinds of comments particularly useful to someone trying to decide between different cars.

I do happen to think the Elantra is a good choice in the small car field (especially the SE), and I have quite a bit of personal experience owning Gen 3 Elantras so I can speak to that. But since you've read my profile you know I've owned lots of cars of different brands. I don't play favorites on brands. I buy whatever best fits my needs at that time. I like the Fit too--except I really want ESC on my next car, and I don't want to spend $19k on a Fit to get that feature. And I think the Civic is a good car also, but not worth the price premium over the Elantra. Corolla? A decent car with great fuel economy and a smooth quiet ride, but again not a car that I prefer over alternatives like the Elantra.

Please don't mistake a difference of opinion with a "power struggle." But this is a discussion forum, and I reserve the right to disagree with posts from you and others. Just as you can disagree with me. Fair enough?

P.S. If your statement about some folks feeling the need to be right about what they bought above all else was directed at me, then you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
    "The sticker you are looking for is a black sticker with a bar code that is located just below the bottom hinge of the drivers side, rear door. From the top of my head, it is called FMVSS sticker which is a goverment mandated sticker. If it is not in that location, bring it back to the dealer. They are not suppose to sell you a new vehicle that is missing that sticker. Your vehicle may have been in an accident as mention by backy but somebody forgot to replace that sticker. "

OK.....Hooorarry!!!!!!!!!!! I looked where you said and I must have been blind not to see this big black box. I was looking inside the door by the hinges. I didn't look here.

My car has a date of Feb. 13, 2008.

Thanks you for the more explicit details to look. Hubby is going to look at his in about an hour as he just got up and I didn't feel like going outside and getting a whiff of cigarette smoke opening his door to look. :):) :shades:
    Backy,

Re:
    "But I think it would be more helpful to prospective buyers to talk about the merits (or demerits) of the cars themselves rather than opinions about whether lots of people would never touch a Korean car and whether CR roots for underdogs or not. Personally I don't find those kinds of comments particularly useful to someone trying to decide between different cars."

Well, I respectfully disagree. We all contribute different things when such a broad question is tossed out, depending on who we are, what our style is, what we value to include in the decision making process of acquiring a new car...

So not all responses are going to focus ONLY on concrete data--and if they did, that would be rather limiting in my view--you can go to Edmunds or CR for that--it's all there in Black and White...

What makes responses fuller and more interesting on a forum like this IMO are personal testimonies (both positive and negative) -- as well those little tidbits of info you might not find so readily elsewhere--this only enriches the conversation, in my view.

So I disagree with your suggestion that we should ignore something like a stigma outright (could be important info. for re-sale and maybe there is even a grain of truth to the stigma).

And

I don't think data such as what motivates CR (an organization which I subscribe to and love, btw) should be censored out either.

These are relevant and very real (albeit periphery and not as central) issues, and IMO they only enrich the decision making process by providing important context.
    Why not let the buyer ultimately decide herself/himself what to toss out and what to consider?

And BTW, If you look at all my posts re: this very big sort of question, I did include concrete pros and cons replete with referrals and suggestions re: the cars themselves-- including the new alarming fuel pump issue, which should be duly noted, IMO.

On a personal note, I think the stigma is a sad thing, and hopefully it will slowly erode-- whether or not it is fully deserved (likely not) is an entirely different issue.

In any case, I think it's great your personal experience with Hyundai has been so positive--the Elantra sounds like it's really served you well, and it's been a good fit for your needs-- and maybe it will be just the ticket for Clemence too! There sure are many happy Elantra owners out there, and it sounds like Clemence stumbled upon a good offer (surprising to hear at this late stage of 08 with so few SE Automatics left on the lot...)
    (Clemence--hope our responses helped in some small way and hope you let us know what you went with! :)

I'm truly sorry for the misunderstanding, backy. Fwiw, I harbor no hard feelings...respectful disagreements and debate is very healthy--I agree with you there!