Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You misunderstood me. I did not say that opinions shouldn't be part of these discussions. I was talking about certain kinds of opinions that I don't think are very helpful in this kind of discussion. As for theories about why CR does what it does, there's an entire discussion in Town Hall for that.

I agree that resale value is a criterion for a car buying decision and deserves discussion. But as for stigma... this is 2008, not 1988. About a million vehicles from Korean manufacturers are sold in the U.S. each year. These range from sub-$10k puddlejumpers to SUVs and luxury sedans that list for over $40k. If we are going to talk about the "stigma" of buying a Korean car, let's also talk about the stigma of buying a Japanese car. Yes, hard to believe but some folks still haven't forgotten about Pearl Harbor. Should that stigma be mentioned when someone is looking to buy a Honda, or Toyota, or other Japanese brand of car? Would that be useful information to provide? I don't think so.

I agree, let's let the buyer ultimately decide... but let's help arm buyers with relevant facts about the cars they are considering, and with opinions based on our experiences driving and owning the cars of today, rather than prejudices based on events from long ago. In the auto industry, 20 years is a long time!
  • skepticalskeptical Member Posts: 65
    Okay, I'll take one more stab than I'm going to let this go because I fear we may be boring everyone else now...I haven't been very clear, I'm afraid--I'll try a bit more..

What I was getting at re: CR is I was noting (and also wondering) how this recent glowing report changes things-- i.e, how it affects the current price (my recent quote was very inflated for example, and they said the cars were 'really hot' ever since the CR report was released, and it was observed selection for SE was severely limited as well--I was told after the CR report came out, they literally starting flying off the lot in record numbers). I would think since the report was so redeeming with such a surprise turn around that the price might go up and negotiating power might be undermined some (sure was for me).

With regard to the stigma thing, let's be clear I'm not singling out the Koreans or Korean made cars per se--if that is what you gathered, than you too may have misunderstood me. Perhaps we should leave the words Korean and Japanese out of the conversation, and just focus on the automaker itself so as not to confuse the issue. I probably shouldn't have framed it that way initially without qualifying what I was referring to.

My intention was to emphasize re-sale values, and this remains highest with the Toyotas and the Hondas over the Hyundai. That's just what's so, whether you or I like it or not--and so I just think this fact needs to be noted.

The reality is cars that have previously carried poor reputations take time to get re-cover from this--and the onus is not only on us as consumers to be forgiving, but to keep a careful eye on the automaker to ensure they are consistently turning out much better cars. It's up to them as much as us to turn a bad reputation into a good one that sticks. And until and unless that happens, (and yes, it does seem to take a while longer than maybe it should), re-sale value will likely continue to be undermined.

With regard to your other comment about Pearl Harbor and folks who continue to carry grudges--I agree. There will always be stubborn folks who will Never buy certain makes because of past hurts (and that's their perogative naturally, although I think they are really short changing themselves in choosing to exclude some darn good proven makers). Goodness, for that matter-- we even still see folks who refuse to buy ANY foreign made car whatsoever!

But this level of obstinance is IMO a different matter--it's closer to pure stubborness (maybe even bigotry?) . It's more than just responding to a temporary stigma or bad reputation that lingers for a couple of years due to legitimate concerns re: recent bad or lack luster products from just a couple of years ago. It's different simply because the facts are simply so solid and have been out so long-- Toyota and Honda in particular have taken every length to prove itself again and again by putting out phenomenal vehicles for twenty some years now...

BTW, I'll bet there are certainly fewer of these stubborn folks around than there were ten years ago. Even stubborn 'ol cranks cave in when they need a good fuel economy car that is reliable and safe.

Hyundai-- in contrast to Toyota and Honda-- is still freshly just proving themselves, so the stigma is fresher and that's why the re-sale value is not as high yet. It's my understanding Hyundai came out with some real poor cars, did they not? Isn't it only very recently that CR and others have begun to take this auto-maker seriously and even more recent that a couple of models (ie, Elantra SE) are now seen as as top contenders to some Japanese cars? Isn't it only recently Hyundai itself has made efforts to improve their cars? When this happens, over time, the bad reputation does dissipate. Again--it's not just our perceptions--some of it is based in fact from some poor products that emerged in the past: As such, the onus is on the automaker to prove itself and win us over with a high quality product over time with a product we can consistently rely upon as we make these huge decisions.

It's the quality of the auto and the demonstrated commitment of the automaker itself over time that speaks volumes and contributes to lasting consumer confidence.

It looks like the Elantra SE may be well on it's way to doing this (and I'm starting to read and hear some good things about the Sonata and other Hyundai models too!).

I certainly hope (fingers crossed) Hyundai continues putting out good cars as this means more choices and more competition-- and so we all win!

I hope that's clearer. Thanks for the interesting discourse!

Regards,
    Skeptical
  • vad128vad128 Member Posts: 9
    Here is an excerpt from an article which appeared in the Money Section of MSN.com a few weeks ago:

"The appeal of fuel efficiency is moving beyond the new-car market and creating a run on small used cars. Used economy cars that once could be difficult for dealers to move -- the Ford Focus and Chevrolet Aveo, for instance -- are now flying off lots, and prices are rising. In May and June, the 10 used cars with the fastest-rising prices, according to J.D. Power & Associates, included the Hyundai Elantra, up almost 9% from the year-earlier period, and the Kia Spectra, up nearly 8%. A few years ago, the list was dominated by larger, more luxurious cars like the Lexus LS Series."

Given the current discussion, I thought many would find this interesting. If you want to read the full article, click on the following link:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveonaCar/WhyA3YearOldCivicC- osts16118Dollars.aspx?GT1=33009

While Hondas and Toyotas still have excellent re-sale value, Hyundais and Kias are gaining momentum.
    Thanks for the clarifications and re-statements. You are right, I did not understand where you were coming from based on your earlier posts.

However, I think you have outdated information regarding where Hyundai is relative to competitors, and specifically (for this discussion) wrt the Elantra. Just so I am sure I understood you, here is what you said:

Isn't it only very recently that CR and others have begun to take this auto-maker seriously and even more recent that a couple of models (ie, Elantra SE) are now seen as as top contenders to some Japanese cars? Isn't it only recently Hyundai itself has made efforts to improve their cars?

Actually, Hyundai's big improvements in quality started ten years ago, when the company's president redirected the company to quality vs. just making low priced cars. That was also the genesis of the 10-year warranty, to help demonstrate the company's commitment to quality and reliability. The first designs that rolled out after this re-direction, in 2000, were the 2001 Elantra and Santa Fe. Both were well received by the automotive press. I'll focus on the Elantra here since that is the topic of this discussion. That generation of Elantra, designed over 10 years ago, was an Edmunds.com Most Wanted car for at least two years and is now their "best bet" for small used cars. The Elantra also took second, by 1/2 a point, in a small car comparo that C/D did in 2002; it was just edged out by the Protege (because of that car's sharper handling, a C/D preference) but beat cars like the then-new Corolla and the Civic. So do you see that Hyundais, particulary the Elantra, have been competitive with Japanese cars for some time--nearly ten years at least? And the latest Elantra continues that trend by getting high marks from CR, and is in fact their top choice (in SE trim) for small cars right now. (And the Santa Fe is also CR's top choice in its class, so it's not just the Elantra.)

I note all this because I get the feeling that your information about Hyundai and the Elantra in particular is somewhat outdated. I hope this is useful to you, and others, trying to decide if the Elantra is a good choice.
  • schukanuosladyschukanuoslady Member Posts: 118
    gomst1.....thanks for the info. Because of what you stated I was able to find the manufacturer dates.

Hubby's car (which the fuel pump went bad) is manufactured on March 9, 2008. Almost 3 weeks after the date of mine which was Feb 13, 2008.

As for all the talk about Elantras this and Elantras that, can't we do a manufacturer date of everyones car that the fuel pump went bad in? This would give us an idea of whether or not there is a possiblity ours might go maybe.

IMO.... there is a lot of negativity here over the fuel pumps and a lot of negativity over if the Elantra is even a good car.

I say .... if it goes (fuel pump) it goes and you get it fixed. IMO I think personally knowing my fuel pump still might go that if I knew now what I know now, I would still buy the Elantra.

Its a good car. And there's no getting around that. Bad fuel pump and all. :shades:
    Well, sure-- if it goes, it goes and you will be forced to tow it in and get it fixed--and hopefully that won't happen in the middle of busy traffic where you or others will be harmed. Since you own the car, you pretty much don't have a choice but to have that attitude.

But then to go on and say it's 'negative' to highlight this to prospective buyers? Uh, no--I don't call that being negative--I call that being realistic and honest about a potentially dangerous problem that should be taken seriously.

IMO, It would be negligent to not duly note this to a prospective buyer.

I certainly would not buy an 'O8 SE Elantra after reading the number of fuel pump problems now emerging until I knew said problem was resolved. That's just too huge of an issue for me to gamble on.
  • dovid2dovid2 Member Posts: 90
    Hi, backy, glad to see you're still active here.

Actually, I always heard the quality began to improve in 2000; ours had 80,000 miles on it with no major repairs when we gave it to my stepdaughter, who still drives it.

"The Elantra also took second, by 1/2 a point, in a small car comparo that C/D did in 2002; it was just edged out by the Protege (because of that car's sharper handling, a C/D preference) but beat cars like the then-new Corolla and the Civic."

Oddly enough, I was thinking of that article just recently, and still regretting that they didn't test the GT, which, with its superior handling and much higher content, would have blown the Protege away.
    Yes, the Gen 2 Elantra was a pretty good car also (I almost bought one in 1997!). It had the first-generation Beta engine. But it was designed in the mid-'90s, when Hyundai's focus was still on being the low cost carmaker, vs. value/quality. But the 1996-2000 Elantras were still pretty good for their time. I recall that in another comparo (C/D or MT, can't remember which) that car did quite well, although not 2nd.
  • 3kidsinback3kidsinback Member Posts: 74
    "IMO, It would be negligent to not duly note this to a prospective buyer.

I certainly would not buy an 'O8 SE Elantra after reading the number of fuel pump problems now emerging until I knew said problem was resolved. That's just too huge of an issue for me to gamble on."

Interesting point. Would you agree that Hyundai is being negligent by not requiring full disclosure to prospective buyers that a safety investigation is pending?
    Re: "Interesting point. Would you agree that Hyundai is being negligent by not requiring full disclosure to prospective buyers that a safety investigation is pending?"

Yes, I would personally-- but I'm sure they wouldn't see it that way. And I'm sure legally (technically) they're covered up to a certain point. There is no way a company is going to disclose such a thing to prospective buyers unless they are forced to!

I'm talking ethics, though. And that's why forums like this one are so helpful, IMHO-- to fill in the gaps. :)
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Check this link to see the extent of the problem as of 7/21/08. link title

The lady you are questioning was the first to bring this matter to the attention of the feds and it was her husband's Elantra which stalled leading to the reported crash.

Time will tell if this is an issue or a fluke occurence. As the person who first reported the problem, she said she likes the car very much and would still buy one.
    "Time will tell if this is an issue or a fluke occurence. As the person who first reported the problem, she said she likes the car very much and would still buy one. "

Totally true comment. Hubby's fuel pump was fixed. I have almost 2000 miles on mine now and except for the lack of power sometimes under 20 miles, I stand adamant that I would still buy the Elantra. I also notice that my car does this when I first start it up and totally disagree now with the manual saying not to idle the car a few minutes to warm up the engine. I notice only when I first drive it it does this and once warmed up it is fine.

I am going to bring this to the attention of Hyundai when I go for my first oil change in Sept. And see what they have to say. They already told me to change the oil every 3 months even though the manual says you don't have to.

And yes, even though Hubby's car caused that crash.... thank god he wasn't hurt. And hoping the other people are ok.

Heck... as for skeptical.... you have your opinion and are entitled to it.

Where we bought our Elantras, well..... the salesman called me up the other day and said they are telling customers there is a problem with the fuel pump on some of the cars.

He himself is working on getting enough commissions right now to even get one himself knowing there is a problem. I knew almost all of the guys at this Chrysler/Hyundai dealership already had Elantras right down to the guy in the Finance Dept. So that right there tells you if the salesman and their wives even have an Elantra.....well...need I say anymore???

Sure, buyer beware. Hopefully they decide for themselves if they want to take a chance or not. I take a chance every day I go someplace and being in the BOONIES hope I don't break down as cell service is not the best where I am.

But I also know that if I do break down my car will get towed FREE and repaired. And the dealer will give me a loaner if they need to.

Some of the people here who broke down had some pretty nasty dealers where they went for repairs. But then again....how you act and treat the place your are getting a repair done is how you get treated sometimes too. What you give is what you get back sometimes and I do know some people can really let off steam. I am one of those myself. But where does it get you? You wait longer.

Heck... I know when I was a Customer Service rep for a few years I would put nasty people on hold on purpose as they would be yelling at me. Nothing like a Friday night working till midnight and having someone drunk calling you up cursing and swearing at you like you were the one who broke their item. Many of them sat on hold while I took other phone calls. You can't expect yelling to get you anyplace. The nicer you are the nicer you get treated IMO.
    They already told me to change the oil every 3 months even though the manual says you don't have to.

How much do you drive in 3 months? You shouldn't have to change oil every 3 months unless you drive at least 3,000 miles in that time. And that is very conservative. Only if you drive under very severe conditions should you need to change oil that often. I change the oil on my 2004 Elantra about every 3750 miles. Which for me is twice a year. But I'm on the dealer's free oil change program, so they're free. :)
  • tsg302tsg302 Member Posts: 1
    Hey I was reading your article and i seen where you had a 97 tacoma that had a recall. i would really APPRECIATE if you would give me more info on this I have a 1997 and a 2000 tacoma what should i do. your help is greatly appreciated. thanks
  • cms78cms78 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Elantra SE that I bought new in May. I am not a car expert, so I'll try to describe the problem as best as I can. I'm having a problem at about 55-65mph where the rpms get up to 3000 and the transmission won't shift. Sometimes this happens on hills other times I'm on a flat road.
    I usually get around the problem by driving at a lower speed or taking my foot off the gas for a few seconds and then trying to accelerate again. This only happens occasionally and I also remember having this problem with my 2002 Elantra. Is this something the dealership can fix? or is it just an Elantra issue?
    How much pressure do you have on the gas pedal when this happens? If you are going up a hill, I could see where the car would try to maintain a lower gear or stay out of lockup to maintain speed. But on flat terrain, if you have a light touch on the gas and are simply cruising at 55 mph, then the RPMs should not be as high as 3000. Actually I think on the 2007+ Elantra with AT, the RPMs don't hit 3000 cruising on level ground until you get close to 80, right?
    Message #418 on the Toyota Rust Problems has the link. Thats how I found the Hyundai problems....because I found the Toyota Rust problem forum on google search and I didn't know this website exsisted. If you go to my name and click on it I think it shows posts that I have posted...not really sure. As I thought I did it one day to follow a link. Then if it does just click on that number post and you will see how to contact Toyota.

They paid me 150% of the KBB value for my truck in excellant condition of what a dealer would sell it for. I got $4000 less then what I had paid new for mine. So I thought that was good. But I didn't go back to buy from them.

I had heard too many good things about the Hyundai Sonata and that was what I was originally going to buy. But my inseam is too long and I had to bend my leg to sit to drive. I couldn't even test drive it. So the salesman asked if I wanted to testdrive the Elantra as there was more leg room even though it was a smaller car. I took it for a test drive on the highway with him and hubby and I was hooked. Tried the Sonata one more time for a spin around the parking lot which killed my leg and bought the car I test drove even. I could have had any color I wanted but I love my Quicksilver one.

Lots of luck with Toyota. Don't let the dealers walk all over you. Anyone here who thinks the fuel pump problem is a hassle...well.... some of those Toyota dealers are really putting anyone with a Tacoma Recall thru the wringer worse. You would think the money was coming out of their pockets.
    How much do I drive? Thats a loaded question. Can you predict how many miles you will put on your car? I live in the country. All my relatives are 30 plus miles away from me. My father is in a nursing home 45 miles from me. I am just getting over 3 blood clots in my right leg. So up until May I was doing very little driving due to a swollen leg.

I racked up 138,000 miles on my 1997 Toyota Tacoma before Toyota bought it back from me and most of that mileage was put on since 2000. Up until 2000 I lived in NJ where it took me 25 minutes to travel 8 miles to work every day. Because I am in the country and I do have to travel country roads, there is a lot of dust.

I choose not to buy into the Dealer plan for the tires, oil changes and everything else. I still plan on going to the Dealer for my service, but because of where I live I do have to go every 3 months for an oil change.

I did it with my Toyota too. I followed the instructions in the manual till my warranty ran out (they said every 7,500 miles oil change) and then I started going every 3 months for my oil change, flushing the radiater every 30,000 miles, steaming out the transmission every other year, flushing out the transmission the year I didn't steam it out. I got told by some of the guys at Jiffy Lube I was overdoing it with my transmission, but not many Toyota Tacomas went back to the dealer with an engine that only had an oxygen sensor changed and at the time of recall a new exhaust manifold. That truck never let me down and I took good care of it and if I overdid it on the transmission it was because I didn't want a $3000 transmission job to have to pay for. Better to be overcautious then over the limit on my charge card. My air filter in that truck was changed only 3 times as I kept up on my maintenance. They thought I was buying filters myself and changing them. I even changed my own wiper blades, the whole wiper at that...not just the blades.

Hey.... you know the old saying "I was country when country wasn't cool".. ...name that singer and I will give you 5 stars Backy. :shades:
    I discovered this key alert in my yahoo email just now.... interesting as at the bottom the article stated it was from edmunds.com

http://www.masslive.com/news/republican/index.ssf?/base/news-15/1218266279269460- .xml&coll=1
    How much do I drive? Thats a loaded question.

Sorry, it was meant to be a simple question.

Can you predict how many miles you will put on your car?

Yes. I put about 7500 +/- 500 miles on my car each year. But it appears my driving habits are more predictable than yours.

Since you can't predict how many miles you'll put on your Elantra in a given period, that's actually a good reason not to change oil every 3 months, but instead based on mileage. Because it appears for you that 3 months could be very few miles, or lots of miles. So IMO it was not good advice the dealer gave you to have the oil changed every 3 months.

Re the old saying... Barbara Mandrell and George Jones. (You should know better than to bet someone on a question like that in these days of Google. ;) )
    Please read this link. For those of you keeping score, there have been 6 more additions added to the list of safety complaints in the last 10 days. 5 are fuel related, and one is an airbag failure to deploy issue.

http://www.aboutautomobile.com/complaint/2008/HYUNDAI/ELANTRA
    Perhaps the additional reports will help get the stalling problem isolated and a fix out sooner.

The bad news is, the Elantra isn't the only small car with safety-related issues. The 2008 Civic for example has multiple safety-related complaints on the same site. But the 2009 Corolla has only one complaint,for a headrest--maybe that's what we should all be buying?
    LOL I can't believe you had to google that song!! Ok.... but you missed something in my post. I am in the boonies and there is dust and dirt everywhere. I have to do an oil change every 3 months because of that. My Toyota, the first 3 yrs lived in NJ. So I did what they suggested as I only had a 3 yr warranty. Then after 3 yrs moved back to good ole NY where I was born and raised and back to all the dusty side roads and country air and I did oil changes every 3 months because of that. If I had stayed in NJ I would probably be doing the 7,500 oil change. But not where I live. I won't take a chance with all the dust and dirt around here.

Like I said... Country.... dirt.....dust..... the only thing that is gone since I moved away in 1985 to NJ is that a lot of dairy farms are gone. And replaced with apartments and stores and new houses. :shades:
    Hopefully, this will inspire more people to call and complain.
    No, I didn't miss that. The dust and dirt are moot if you don't drive your car in them. And the engine doesn't get any wear unless you actually drive it. The only time someone would need to change oil based on time interval vs.miles is if they almost never drive it; the oil will collect water over time, so it's a good idea to change it at least once a year even if the car is hardly ever driven.

That's my song and I'm sticking to it. :)
    You know.... I wonder if my pump is not going because I am using my cruise control all the time except for by my house until I hit the highway. I even use the buttons to slow down and speed up. Hubby told me I wasn't supposed to use the cruise control until I had at leaat 2000 miles on the car as it had to be broke in. But yet his car had the pump go and mine is still ok as of tonight.

It was just easier for me due to the fact I am still getting over the blood clots and there was one in my ankle and the ankle still gets puffy and the fact I don't have my foot on the gas pedal makes it easier for me to drive more places and longer distances.

Anyone else using their cruise control alot? I was thinking because I am letting the computer do the work that maybe that is why I am still "safe".
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    "And yes, even though Hubby's car caused that crash...."

I would say inattentive drivers with poor driving habits caused the crash. Your husband's fuel pump issue was a catalyst, to be sure, but if the people around him had been driving the way we're all supposed to, there would have been slowdowns and possibly a traffic jam but very likely no collision.

Do they still teach the two second rule (allow 2 seconds of gap between vehicles for reaction time)? While I don't always personally allow 2 seconds of gap, I do provide enough space between me and the vehicle in front to allow me to react if they suddenly brake (dropped their coffee in their lap), swerve (while gesturing to the person they're talking to on their cell phone), or in rare events react to the traffic around them.

Unlike more and more drivers nowadays, I actually look at the vehicles around me, including at least two or three in front of me in order to be able to adjust to changes in traffic flow without having to make panic maneuvers.

Many years ago (pre-1990) I had a tire blow out while doing 70MPH. It was a front tire on a FWD car. There was no drama at all. I slowed down and made safe lane changes to the shoulder. Collision avoidance wasn't even an issue.

To stay on topic, regarding the oil changes, follow the severe service schedule int he manual. That may or may not be 3000 miles/3 months (our Elantra is an '01; I don't know the '08's schedule).
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • alcourtsalcourts Member Posts: 2
    Update: Build date was March 29, 2008. The dealer replaced the fuel pump and the car seems to be running fine, but only a few miles on the new pump so far. They did call the tech center this time and I believe they were told to replace the pump. The dealer had the car for a week waiting on an O-ring needed for the new pump which they had in stock.

As suggested, I emailed my story to Hyundai corporate customer service. They sent back an apologetic reply and asked me to call which I haven't done as I was waiting to see what the dealer would come up with. I also filed a complaint with the NHTSA and received an email from their investigator, Stephan McHenry, asking me to let him know what the remedy was, which I have done.

I still feel that the Elantra is a fundamentally good car and do not regret buying it.
    I wonder if Mr. McHenry knows about the concerns of other Elantra's owners. Could I respectfully request that you contact him again and ask where in the process the investigation actually is, and what needs to happen for a recall?
    "I wonder if Mr. McHenry knows about the concerns of other Elantra's owners. Could I respectfully request that you contact him again and ask where in the process the investigation actually is, and what needs to happen for a recall? "

After I filed the report 3 days later he wrote me and asked for my phone number to talk to my husband. I called him and got his answering machine, left my husband's cell phone and he called my husband to get all the facts on the accident and the number on the police report so he could get a copy of it. I then sent him a link to a story about an Elantra accelerating and causing a rollover which the woman died. Her car was a 2005 though as I found out. But her air bags didn't deploy. He wrote back thanking me for the link. I too wonder about how long it takes. I do know from the Toyota Frame rust forum I found that they were posting a yr ago before Toyota did anything. And hoping that it doesn't take that long with the fuel pumps.
    "Update: Build date was March 29, 2008."

Well, 2 cars in March. Hubby's was built March 9, 2008. I wonder if the color has anything to do with it too. My vin # is a lot further up then hubby's and my car was built first which didn't make sense to me. His that the fuel pump went is Laguana Sand. Mine is Quicksilver Grey.
    Ok... my friend bought a month of Carfax as her daughter is used car shopping. We looked up my vin # and hubby's vin #.

Mine is all the same as it was and they even listed that they checked it out when I said it was rolling backwards when in park.

Ok.... NOW........hubby had the fuel pump replaced.

Carfax states "As of August 13,2008--- no recall issues reported"

Like ....what the heck happened to the statement the dealer should have put in there that his car was serviced and a new fuel pump put in.
    I just got off the phone with Hyundai. I called because of the carfax reports yesterday. They also looked up my file# from a few weeks ago when I took my car into the dealer for hesitation and performance problems. 3Kids.... youi were correct. They may have not told me what they did to fix the problem and they DID do something. Hyundai told me a warranty repair was done to the injectors.

Yet my invoice said seller complains of hesitating engine around 25 miles and nothing found.

Well, I told her that. She told me to leave the car overnight at my dealers. She is going to call them and tell them they have to keep it overnight. I am going to do it next weekend due to not having a way to do it this Friday.

I have to call her back and let her know what they say and she is going to follow up to see what they submit to Hyundai.

Now, the good news is YES.... they now know which fuel pumps are bad. What they are working on now is trying to form a database of what vin#'s have them in.

She said hopefully soon they will be able to release letters to owners who have the bad fuel pumps.

She was very nice to me. And we were on the phone a good hour as she looked up hubby's vehicle service record and mine. And she told me what she is going to even say to the dealer.

I do believe Hyundai is trying to stand behind their product. She told me that my husband is not the only one who an accident happened when his car stopped. Now what does that say about people reporting to the Safety Investigation? How the heck can they know if no one reports. She said she is getting phone calls every day over the fuel pumps. But yet no one feels it is important enough to file a complaint?

Ok... I feel better now knowing they have narrowed the fuel pump down and just hope they get the vin#s soon that they need.
    Great news, way to go Hyundai. Do you think we can call Hyundai now if they know what VINs are affected?
    "Great news, way to go Hyundai. Do you think we can call Hyundai now if they know what VINs are affected? "

So far they only know which fuel pump it is. They aren't sure of the vin's yet she told me but hope to know soon. :)
  • kbrienkbrien Member Posts: 6
    To the Elantra Community,

On Friday 08/15/08, I purchased an 08' Elantra auto SE, package 01. I researched cars in this class and felt that the Elantra was the best choice. I have been reading the postings about the fuel pump issues, etc.. and have a few questions to the community:

1. I paid $16,100 for the car, not including tax, title, tags, and 1 additional plan. Is this ~ what others have been paying for the same model and package level?

2. Has anyone purchased an Elantra from the Fitzgerald Auto mall co. in Maryland? I have some specific questions for those members

3. Other than the fuel pump, are there any other issues that I should be aware of?

Thanks.
  • wv_irishwv_irish Member Posts: 5
    I hope I can be of some help. I purchased a 2008 Elantra SE at FitzMall in early March of this year, and couldn't be happier. As I had posted earlier, this was the best auto buying experience of my life. I live about 4 hours away from them, so I went with the "Delivered Internet Price", rather than the "Delivered Value Price". Although I am out of state (West Virginia), they took care of the taxes and tags for me (and charged me the correct rates !). The new plates arrived at the dealer, they called me, and then sent the plates via FedEx to my house. I think it took almost 30 days to get the plates. If I am still in the area when I need my next vehicle, I'm going back to FitzMall.
    WV Irish,

Thanks for your reply. It was helpful. I rarely buy cars and I am leary of the sales staff at automotive dealers. I chose to purchase the buyer protection plan which added another $369, but I really need the loaner car option. I tend to hold onto my cars (av. length of ownership is 9 years for me), and the free oil change feature would pay for itself over time. I looked at other dealers in MD and prices seemed to be higher, plus I did not want to get into a haggling contest with multiple dealers. The staff at Fitzgerald seemed humane and I hope this impression holds true.

1. Have you had any trouble with your car, or with the staff at Fitzgerald?

2. I heard there are coupons that one can acquire for discounts on oil changes. Have you heard of these?

3. I was offered an extended warranty plan at the dealer through a company called Zurich. The comprehensive version of the plan is almost $1400, and so I reflexively said no ( I do not trust them.) However, I took home the brochure for the plan and am reviewing it. Did they offer this to you also? Did you purchase any version of it?

4. My car did not come with mats. The dealer offered the factory mats at their cost (~ $75.00 for all 4??), but again I said no. Do you know of any other retail outlets that maybe selling mats for the Elantra less expensively? I favor the heavy rubber mats, especially in the winter.

5. Do you know of an online retailer that sells Hyundai parts, such as light bulbs, filters, etc.. There are some repairs that I can do myself, but I would like to use genuine Hyundai parts to avoi conflicts with my warranty.

Thanks for your comments.
    WV Irish,

I just read your message about your buyig experience. It appears we bought essentially the same vehicle, but you paid significantly less than me. I suppose that when you buying in May prices may have been less and the inventory was greater. When I looked, the cheapest internet price was $16,449. This did not include the buyer protection plan. I asked for a further discount and they would not go below 16,100. They have been selling the Elantras like crazy, and so I took what I could get b/c I desperately needed a car. I'm beginning to think I was ripped off.
    I'm beginning to think I was ripped off.

The supply and demand picture for the Elantra SE is much different now than it was in May. Just because someone else got a particular price in the past doesn't mean that same kind of deal will be available in the future.
  • riguyriguy Member Posts: 5
    Picked up my new Elantra on 25 June. Drove it 25 miles, when it stalled on an exit ramp. The car was hesitating and would not respond when I pressed the gas pedal. Dealer came, gave me a free loaner, and told me they would contact me the next day. They called and said that the fnew uel pump would not arrive for at least 4-6 weeks due to the major backlog (400 pumps ordered) in the New England area (I'm in RI). Fortunately, the new pump arrived within 2 weeks and I was on my way. I'm sure all of you have seen the NHTSA web site (www.safercars.gov) and noticed the official defect. By the way, my car is Silver in color (if that means anything).

NHTSA Action Number: N/A NHTSA Recall Campaign Number:
    PE08044 N/A
    Make: HYUNDAI Model: ELANTRA
    Manufacturer : HYUNDAI MOTOR COMPANY
    Year : 2008
    Component :
    FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP

Date Investigation Opened : July 17, 2008
    Date Investigation Closed : Open
    Summary:
    ODI HAS RECEIVED FOUR REPORTS OF ALLEGED ENGINE STALLING DUE TO FUEL PUMP MODULE FAILURE IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES. ALL FOUR REPORTS INDICATE FAILURES AT LOW VEHICLE MILEAGE (399, 583, 600, AND 2,839). ONE OWNER ALLEGED THAT THE VEHICLE STALLED IN FAST LANE OF A THREE LANE HIGHWAY AND CAUSED A THREE CAR CRASH WITH ONE INJURY WHEN FOLLOWING TRAFFIC MANEUVERED TO AVOID THE DISABLED VEHICLE. ODI ALSO IDENTIFIED FIELD REPORTS CONCERNING FUEL PUMP MODULE FAILURE IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES IN EARLY WARNING DATA SUBMITTED BY HYUNDAI. A PRELIMINARY EVALUATION HAS BEEN OPENED TO ASSESS THE SCOPE, FREQUENCY, AND POTENTIAL SAFETY-RELATED CONSEQUENCES OF THE ALLEGED DEFECT.
  • ez888ez888 Member Posts: 39
    you can definitely save some cash by buying hyundai parts online.

here are some sites (got this from another thread):
    http://hyundaipartspeople.com
    http://hyundai.dealerfit.com

These links lead you to a normal store with similar prices to the above, BUT there are links to go directly to a OEM parts catalog. If you order by the exact part number, you save. You need to be 100% sure of the part number, and they make you furnish your VIN to verify to prevent you from buying and then returning wrong parts. Both link you to the same parts database/probable drop-ship location, just different 'store front'.

http://hyundai.partsdirect.com
    http://hyundai-parts.com

i ordered mud guards from the hyundai-parts.com site- good service and the cheapest prices. you can also find other parts there. the site isn't that good quality of a site and the search feature blows unless you have the part number.

here is a link to many different part numbers out there (http://www.elantraclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15342&hl=part+number). i don't think the last site shows a picture but some others do. you could also just call your dealer and ask for a part number.

good luck!
    eric
  • ez888ez888 Member Posts: 39
    you can definitely save some cash by buying hyundai parts online.

here are some sites (got this from another thread):
    http://hyundaipartspeople.com
    http://hyundai.dealerfit.com

These links lead you to a normal store with similar prices to the above, BUT there are links to go directly to a OEM parts catalog. If you order by the exact part number, you save. You need to be 100% sure of the part number, and they make you furnish your VIN to verify to prevent you from buying and then returning wrong parts. Both link you to the same parts database/probable drop-ship location, just different 'store front'.

http://hyundai.partsdirect.com
    http://hyundai-parts.com

i ordered mud guards from the hyundai-parts.com site- good service and the cheapest prices. you can also find other parts there. the site isn't that good quality of a site and the search feature blows unless you have the part number.

here is a link to many different part numbers out there: http://www.elantraclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15342&hl=part+number

i don't think the last site shows a picture but some others do. you could also just call your dealer and ask for a part number.

good luck!
    eric
    Glad to hear you are safe. Did you call the NHTSA to file a complaint of your own?
    Also helpful if you call Hyundai....
    Glad you are ok. My hubby was the crash that happened.

I have a silver Elantra I bought June 5, and hubby bought a Laguana Sand the same day. Hubby had the 337 miles on his car when the fuel pump went. I have 1300 miles so far and just had a hesitation problem under cold start driving 20 mile speed limit which the dealer did an injection service under warranty coverage and it appears to be corrected.

What is your manufacturer date? Mine is Feb. 13, 2008 and hubby's which the fuel pump went is March 9, 2008. There are more than 4 reports too. There is another link 3kids posted showing the updated list.
    Your dealer's parts dept. should give you a 10% off on any accessories you want as soon as you call them and tell them you purchased your car there and it came without mats. Don't go by what the invoice price is, ask the parts Dept. what the price is. Hubby's invoice said his cargo mat was $180. I paid $63 plus tax with 10% off for buying the car there. So I don't know who told you the price of the mats, but I would call your parts Dept. I think the invoice is padded so you pay higher as after all, they get cut down on the price and they have to pad something.

My car is a GLS. It came with everything. But not the SE leather seats/moonroof. I only had to buy a cargo tray for the trunk.

As for the $369....what kind of deal did they offer you? All we got offered was the $1600 deal and turned it down.

Now, you can go to www.hyundai.com and register as a new owner with your email address and you put in your vin# and everything comes up and then you can look for dealer coupons if they are offering them.

Also, every month the prices change at the dealership. We got ours for $13995 and now they are selling at the same dealership for $14993. I got one for the price I mentioned and hubby was looking around and decided he wanted one too and because we were doing a 2 car purchase the car he looked at had the cargo mat in it and the dealer gave him the same price as me due to buying 2 cars. But still, the $63 was no big deal to me.

I wouldn't say you were ripped off, as you have to talk the dealer down too when pricing a vehicle. You paid a little over $2000 more for what I paid for a GLS version.
    Thank you for the reply. The advice is very helpful. I had no intention of buying a car at this time, but my old car died suddenly. I was taking the bus or getting rides to and from work. This was cumbersome given the nature of my work. Plus my kids are starting school again in a week, and so my back was up against a wall, so to speak. I found myself in the market for a car by necessity (not by choice) at a time when this dealer was experiencing a run on Elantras, esp. SEs. They have been selling 3 a week. I checked other dealers and they too were selling SEs very well. The car has been in short supply in my area. I So, I did get the dealer to move a little bit off the price, but I knew they could easily sell the car to another buyer willing to pay full price, and they could stand firm. I made the best decision I could under duress and in a short time frame. My other choice was the Sonata which I was told was more expensive, however,. I have now seen 2009 Sonata GLS models for the same price I paid for my Elantra. So, the combination of hearing people pay1G less for and Elantra SE and seeing Sonatas at 16g made me feel as though I was ripped off. I also understand that I purchased a popular car and prices change frequently.
  • wv_irishwv_irish Member Posts: 5
    I haven’t had any problems with the staff at FitzMall, or with my car, except that, like many others, it hesitates when driving at low speed (around 25 mph). My local dealer test drove it, agreed that it felt unusual, but also drove several other new cars on the lot and they all drove the same way. They just documented it for possible use later. When at FitzMall, they didn’t offer anything additional, neither extended warranty nor accessories. I was surprised about that, but figured I could get better prices on the internet. I’m sure you can do better on the internet as well.

I don’t think that you were ripped off at all. I got my Elantra in March, and the dealership had just received a copy of the first Consumer Reports article the day I was there. Gas prices were a lot lower then too, and their inventory was a lot higher. By way of comparison, I was also considering a Prius. At that time (March), they had 68 Prius’ in stock and were selling them around invoice. Now they have 3, and are selling them at MSRP. As others have said, it is supply and demand, and right now there is limited supply of small cars, so I think that you got a good deal.

For your info, the car does not come equipped standard from the factory with mats, as that is a $85.00 (MSRP) option. You can get your mats, etc on line using the links that others have posted. I used HyundaiPartsPeople for accessories (mud flaps, front mask, all weather mats) because their price plus shipping seemed the best to me. Since I plan to change my own oil, I ordered a case of OEM oil filters and gaskets on line, as well as the service manuals from TitusWill.com (there’s a link around here somewhere or use Google) and they were very helpful.

I hope you enjoy your Elantra. :)
    "I haven’t had any problems with the staff at FitzMall, or with my car, except that, like many others,it hesitates when driving at low speed (around 25 mp). "

I have the same problem!!! And I took it to the dealer. They kinda thought I was crazy as it warms up after doing over 45 speed limit.

So I called Hyundai and made a complaint. They have me with a case number and told me to take it back tot he dealer again. I have to call them back on Monday. And I have to leave the car for a night as they need to cold start it to find this problem.

Hyundai is going to put me as an open case not to be closed until further notice as if they get more complaints they are going to investigate this problem. Please call Hyundai and tell them you are having the same problem. So far I am the only person to have reported it to them.

thanks
  • riguyriguy Member Posts: 5
    Where can I find the manufacure date? A few people have responded to my post of my Silver Elantra failing after only 25 miles!

thank you
    riguy