Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Enclave Transmission Questions

dianejdianej Member Posts: 10
I test drove an Enclave yesterday. When utilizing the +/- button to shift manually, there was an annoying delay between when the button was pushed, when the dash indicated the switched gear, and worse, when the tranny responded. This is a deal killer for me, because I was hoping to use it to build torque for passing, etc.

How has it worked for others? Is it something one can get used to, or is it chronically irritating to power-lovers like me?

Comments

• sarendssarends Member Posts: 4
    We have an 03 MDX with lease expiring soon. Our short list was:

Audi Q7
    MDX
    CX-9
    Enclave

We are now down to:
    Enclave, CX-9

I have driven an Enclave three times now and I really like the manumatic mode. I have had no issues with it and find it quire able to negotiate quick down shifts when you want to execute a lane change and go around a car quicly. I have used it to downshift 1,2 or 3 gears all at once with varying amounts of "let's get going" gas pedal pressure.

I actually like the Enclave's manumatic mode better than the CX-9 although the CX-9's handling is very crisp. The Enclave is Verrrrry quiet and comfortable. The CX-9 is sportier. These are trade-offs my wife will have to decide between as it is her car.

Thx!!

Thx, Steve
  • silverenclavesilverenclave Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Enclave some time in May, and have 15k on it already. i love the car, but i think there might be a trans problem. when i'm going anywhere over 45 mph in 6th gear, and i let go of the pedal and let the car slow down to about 40 to 42 mph, and i lightly press the pedal the trans downshifts and slams into gear. it jukes the car. i took it to the dealer last week and they told me it was normal. that the trans downshifts at 41.6 mph automaticly and that as its downshifting and i'm stepping on the pedal it doesn't know what gear to go in and it jukes the car. i didn't have this problem before that i could notice. i don't think its normal.
    i went to another dealer on friday and tested another enclave and gues what, it didn't do that.
    i'm just wondering if anyone else has the same problem, or had the same problem. i had the transmission reprogrammed about 2 months ago.
  • chaudinchaudin Member Posts: 1
    My Enclave tranny acts similarly at the same speed. I read somewhere that a transmission reprogram by Buick may help. Let me know if you solve your problem.
  • towens1towens1 Member Posts: 1
    My Enclaved purchased Dec. 3500 miles. Love the car, but transmission shifting problems, and poor road mileage a problem. Has anyone had these problems fixed by the dealers? I was told a new software program was installed on my Enclave as was all vehicles not sold yet for the shifting poblem. Manual shifting is ok, but probably lowers mileage.
    I can live with the transmission in town, but driving uphill on the interstate and keeping your speed up is a problem because car will not down shift on its own.
  • cullensjrcullensjr Member Posts: 1
    I to have a new Enclave. Love the car except the transmission shifting. Dealer says it is set to specs but still doesn't seem right to me. Too much downshifting before car is up to speed then it has to upshift & downshift again. Irritating. I am experimenting with using the +/- shifter & just leaving it in 4th or 5th but know it will use more gas.
  • mountianchicmountianchic Member Posts: 1
    I just took my brand new Enclave up to the mountains for a family trip. It stalled 3 time going up the highway at about 7000 feet. We turned around and went home after that. I just took it in for service. Dealer says other Enclaves and Acadia's are having the same issue and they don't know what is causing it. Anyone else had this issue? I am not very happy with my new GM car having just traded in my 2003 Toyota 4Runner with 60,000 miles and NO issues in the mountains.
  • gungagunga Member Posts: 16
    Have 2008 Enclave
    Can anyone point me to the Service Bulletin # about Re-Programming the Transmission. My dealer has never heard about the problem (small dealer)
    and has no idea as to what I am talking about.

The constant shifting is driving me crazy.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    I am not sure if this TSB has been updated or not but have them start with this. The main issue appears to be that this update does not show up under anyones VIN, you need to ask for it explicitly.

Good luck.

Document ID: 2177083
    #08-07-30-022A: Hesitation or Flat Spot Between 56-80 km/h (35-50 mph) (Reprogram Transmission Control Module) - (Aug 1, 2008)
  • orange1924orange1924 Member Posts: 5
    On the third trip to the dealer for the same problem they ended up programing the shift delay to a little higher RPM. About half way between stock and the tow/haul mode. I love it. It's a little more engine noise around 40 mph but the performance is much better overall. I hated that quick shift pattern that had the car dogging.
    OK, had my Transmission Re-Programed 4 days ago. Now I don't go crazy with
    the constant upshifts and downshifts. Milage seen to be down about .5
    but it is will worth it.

BTW: Take the Document ID # to the dealer. My dealer/Service Guys had never heard of the problem.

Document ID: 2177083
    #08-07-30-022A: Hesitation or Flat Spot Between 56-80 km/h (35-50 mph) (Reprogram Transmission Control Module) - (Aug 1, 2008)
  • nealschwartznealschwartz Member Posts: 1
    I drive two speed limit stretches every morning, one being 35MPH and the other 30MPH. My 2009 Enclave CXL AWD seems to lock at 4th Gear during the 30MPH zone, and 5th gear at the 35MPH zone. Even though I'm not accelerating it will not go up a gear. The problem is, unless I put on cruise control I may drop to about 33 MPH and the transmission will shift down. It's like there's a shift point between 33 and 35 that you get that shifts either coasting, accelerating, or decelerating. Every time you move between those speeds it shifts. My wife thought I was jerking the accelerator, stepping on it then letting go. Any fix known? It's like downshifting to slow down, but it's automatically done.
    The fix to the downshifting problem is the Re-programming.
  • stagefamstagefam Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 Buick Enclave suddenly lurched forward as I was pulling into a parking space. My foot was not on the accelerator or the brake. Has anyone had a similar problem or have any ideas??
  • elmo10elmo10 Member Posts: 1
    My enclave periodically will downshift at crusing speeds from 45 to 70 plus MPH, the shift occurs on a slight downgrade and will continue for 1/3 mile to 3 miles unless I shift to neutral then to D. When the down shift occurs my speed will remain the same and the tach doubles in rpm, this occurs with or without cruise control.The dealer says the Buick techs say this is normal--"Bull" this didn't happen during the first 9000 miles present mileage is 15+++.
  • tourguidetourguide Member Posts: 190
    I've seen this behavior on my 09 as well. I only experience this while using cruise control and I think this is GM's version of engine braking with this 6 speed transmission. I would say this is about the only thing I think does not work the way I would expect it to. This form of engine braking is going to dramatically increase my fuel consumption going down hill. My solution is to take it out of cruise control through the mountains. This works for me.
  • PMOPMO Member Posts: 278
    Re calibration of Trans. will help
  • djselzerdjselzer Member Posts: 10
    Based upon previous postings, I recently took our 2009 Enclave into the dealer as requested a transmission recalibration. We were fed up with an unresponsive transmission that stayed in a higher gear much too long and would frequently leave us exposed to potential accident as it would not downshift to allow the vehicle to get out of harm's way. In fact, we were test driving new vehicles for a replacement. Well, the recalibration has made all the difference. It is now acting as we would have hoped. I am unable to comment on fuel efficiency, but we would gladly give 1 or 2 mpg to be able to keep our Enclave.
  • whitenclavewhitenclave Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2011 enclave, and i would imagine that it came with the upgraded transmission program 08-07-30-022A. i do understand why a 6 sp. tranny, in a heavy car, with marginal torque would "hunt", and downshift.. they are keeping the engine down around 1600 rpm for mileage .. most other low powered v-6"s, like a G-35 inf. which is as smooth as silk because they keep the engine around 2500 rpm or so, for the torque, and driving experience. the buick is only trying to maximize the fuel mileage,, and can only do so much .my biggest complaint about my 2011 enclave is the very poor shift 3rd to 4th,, it's not at all like the other shifts,, it pauses,, seems to retard the ignition slightly, and then slams into 4th gear.. very, very primitive and i've never had a modern day car shift this badly.. LOVE THE CAR,, HATE THE TRANSMISSION.,
  • dencydency Member Posts: 1
    When using the cruise control on my new Enclave, it operates very poorly when hilly roads are encountered. The speed will drop 3-4 mph from the set speed going up the hill, before the transmissions shifts down at least 2 gears and then surges the engine to get back up to the original set speed. Then rolling down the next hill, it increases a full 5 mph beyond the set speed before the transmission then downshifts to slow the car down. What a primitive poorly managed system on a car with a $46,000 window sticker. My dealer just spent 90 minutes with my car only to say it is normal for this car and their other Enclave did the exact same thing on the local hilly roads. He offers no remedy for a car that does not even have 700 miles on it yet.

I am concerned about the re programming I am reading about, that it would reduce the gas mileage, but it is even more troubling that my dealer essentially says I am the first to have this problem.
  • deerhunter2405deerhunter2405 Member Posts: 2
    I pull a trailer with my Enclave during the summer that weights about 2600 pounds. I have about 77,000+ miles on the vehicle. While trailering lately my temperature gauge goes up about two lines above "normal" and a message is displayed (something to the effect), "Transmission Hot, Idle Engine".
    This has happened about 8 times when driving it last week and this week. I pull over and let the engine idle and after a few minutes the engine trouble light goes out and the message disappears. The outside temperature is about 105 degrees F and I am not able to use the air conditioning otherwise the temperature continues to rise. Now periodically when the transmission shifts, after accelerating there is a very strong jerking of the car. My vehicle is suppose to have a tailoring package. Why and what is causing the over heating and the jerking action? :sick:
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    deerhunter2405,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Were you planning on having the vehicle diagnosed at a GM dealership? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • deerhunter2405deerhunter2405 Member Posts: 2
    I dropped it off at Capital Chevrolet in Austin, Texas. Couldn't make it any further on my way back home from south Texas, Tuesday Sept 6th. It got to the point where it wouldn't shift anymore as I limped into south Austin. Buick dealership is on the north side of town. It is my understanding that the vehicle has a 100,000 mile warranty on the drive train and I also purchased an extend warranty when I purchased it in 2008. John Cummings, Service Rep at Capital Chevrolet, said there was some kind of mechanical defect that resulted in this failure. They have had it since Tuesday of last week and it was suppose to have been fixed today but I never got a call.

My major concern now is why has it been overheating? I first experienced the overheating in the late summer of 2009 when pulling my trailer. If I continued to use the A/C the needle on the temperature gauge would slowly creep up to two lines above "normal" position (middle of gauge). Did not experience overheating last summer because I did not pull the trailer as much as I did in 2008 and 2009.

Any suggestions as to the cause of the overheating? Any solutions? :confuse:

Thanks

deerhunter2405
    deerhunter2405,

Unfortunately, I am unable to diagnose the vehicle as to why it may be overheating. Have you heard anything more from the dealership? Have you been in contact with GM Customer Assistance via telephone? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
  • evanobevanob Member Posts: 7
    My wife just experienced a sudden transmission problem where engine was revving but no connection to drive train. Car was towed to dealership. There was no warning. Car has been fine until this sudden failure. Is there a known transmission problem? Any recalls?
    evanob,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Glad to hear the vehicle is at the dealership. Please keep us posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
  • rocdriverrocdriver Member Posts: 9
    We just encountered (Thursday 9/29) an issue where the vehicle suddenly lost power and would not travel over a very slow speed. Immediately drove to the dealer and left it for diagnosis. We were told the next day that we most likely would need a new transmission. This is a 2008 with approx 60k miles on it. We've not heard any resolution yet, but I was disheartened that my one US made vehicle encountered a serious problem like this. Is there a transmission issue with the earlier vehicles? I am assuming until I hear otherwise that this is a warranty issue. It has not been used to haul or trailer anything. In the interim we are in a small rental car that does not fit the needs of transporting kids in sports teams. Any insight? Thanks!
  • dianejdianej Member Posts: 10
    I had a major issue that sounds similar at 105,000 mi. The transmission wouldn't shift out of first gear. Even though I was out of transmission warranty by 5K, my dealer got GM to cover the cost of repair, which was over $1000. I paid $100. The way I look at it, I got a transmission overhaul for (virtually) free at 100,000. I have had a significant number of repair issues (seat, front hubs, rotors, tranny). I'm on my third windshield. I still have affection for the comfort and relative value I get out of the car when it is not in the shop, however.
    Based on various internet discussions there seems to be an issue with some of the earlier transmissions (08, early 09?) with a part called a wave plate not being properly heat treated, leading to a brittle part. It sounds like that is the issue you are having. I am under the impression that if the part is manufactured properly there is not an issue, but I am not certain of that.
    Thank you Zman3. We've still not heard from the dealer - so I'll ask them about this when we connect. Much appreciated.
  • monstersinc9monstersinc9 Member Posts: 1
    55K 2008 Enclave CXL AWD. Transmission was failing to shift out of 4th gear on long trips (around town it was fine). This past weekend on a long trip it got the DIC warning of transmission fluid hot. Check engine light also came on. Dealer is replacing transmission now as I send this. Warranty.
    rocdriver,

i apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Please keep us updated on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
    Heard back from the dealer finally - they are replacing the transmission under warranty due to wave plate failure. Seems like there are quite a few of these issues that I am hearing about - yet no recall. Thats the good news.

On a surprisingly similar note - they indicated that the transmission in the windshield wiper motor for variable speed wipers has failed (no longer works) and will cost $300 to replace. Around 60k miles seems to be a turning point for this vehicle.
  • evanobevanob Member Posts: 7
    We were told that only part of our transmission failed and they would only replace the broken parts. I am concerned that we did not get a complete rebuild. The service manager I spoke to had never heard the term wave plate before. This worried me.
    We also were having a dvd/map error, frequently preventing the navigation system from functioning. The dealer found the same error when they drove the car and apparently replaced the navigation system.
    We just got the car back today. I have not driven the car yet. I am hoping the transmission computer was flashed with better software to make the transmission run more smoothly and get better than 17 mpg highway.
  • knugrebknugreb Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2011
    Today is the second time in 6 weeks that my 2010 Enclave has been in for service for the Transmission mode switch.
    This vehicle only has 14,900 miles on it.
    I have read through this thread, and haven't seen anything about the mode switch.
    I have to question why this would fail again within 6 weeks of the last repair.
    I love the vehicle, hate the transmission and all the trips to the dealer.
    At this point, I don't feel confident driving anywhere long distance as it is completely unreliable.
    knugreb,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me your complete contact information including mailing address, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I would like to report your concerns to GM and set up a case for you. An agent will work with you and your dealer, as well as involve Technical Assistance as needed, to resolve your concerns. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • knugrebknugreb Member Posts: 2
    Thank you Christina.
    I will email you outside of this forum with my specifics.
    Honestly, I'm through with this vehicle, so I'm not sure there is anything you can do for me.
    I'm heading to a Lexus or a Mercedes after I decide which vehicle will replace this enclave with only 15K miles on it as of today.
    knugreb,
    I've also got a MB E350 (in addition to an Enclave) and the MB service through the dealer network has been outstanding. Repairs will be quite a bit more expensive though - so be ready for that. Given the responses here regarding the Enclave transmission I would have expected GM to issue a note to have them checked.
  • m45ryderm45ryder Member Posts: 1
    Yes, we have a 2008 Enclave with all the options and it has been in the shop twice for transmission issues, and i will give you a guess how many times it has stranded me and my wife on the side of the road? Headed to the dealer again to get it "fixed" I know the entire service department by name, seeing as we have been in so many times with so many issues, from sunroof leaks to stabilitrack not working properly. Transmission has gone out twice in 6 months!!!! Will never purchase another GM vehicle again. :sick: :lemon: :lemon:
    m45ryder,
    I apologize for your frustrations and inconvenience. If you would email me directly I would be happy to set up a case for you with GM Customer Service. Please include your complete mailing address, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • mekanicmekanic Member Posts: 2
    My 2011 Enclave CXL gets very poor gas mileage, (averaging 15.4km/100 km). I suspect it is the transmission not upshifting into 6th or lock-up at the correct speed. At 100kmh the engine is still revving at 1600 to 1800 rpm's!, it should be running at a lower rpm than that.
    I think that the transmission is not programmed properly. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • mekanicmekanic Member Posts: 2
    OK what is your email address?
    I think that equates to about 60 MPH. The RPM's do not sound that off to me. This is a 6 cylinder engine and there is not enough torque to lope around at 1200 rpms.

I'll check our 2011 at some point to verify.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please click on a member's name to get their contact info.
  • chosen33chosen33 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2008 Enclave 110,000 miles. The engine light came on and Onstar said it was an Emissions problem. Took it to the Chevrolet dealer (because my usual Buick dealer/service always seems to try and get over on me). they said it was an emissions issue ($188 fix) and another code popped up for transmissions, which had 14 other code related to it. No warranty left and he says its going to cost $3600 to replace the transmission and he doesn't recommend rebuilding. Saw numerous wave plates issues on different forums so I asked him about it and he says it "seems" that probably wasn't my problem. he doesn't have much history with Enclaves..only Acadias. So I'm not sure what I should do...get second opinion..get new transmission...or get rebuilt transmission? Any thoughts?

I do love my Enclave but the mechanical issues are giving me a headache: Failed water pump, replaced rack/pinion for steering noises and locked steering, emissions issues, now transmission. I haven't even addressed the issue of when we get a hard rain, it leaks into the cabin. Don't know if it's from a replaced windshield or "fix" to the sunroof.
    Hearing lots of interesting stories here. I loved and still love the Enclave - even after all the recent large problems with only 60,000 miles. We are still driving it. Even though I like it a lot, I would not purchase another. Too many problems with too little action on the part of the manufacturer to correct issues with components that should last much longer. There are a lot of great new vehicles out there, many with better and longer warranties than GM. Transmission died at 60k, within days the windshield wiper variable speed transmission died rendering the wipers immobile, and a couple weeks after that the power steering pump busted. It is almost like someone flipped a switch and parts imploded. I don't have the time to keep taking it to the shop. I started a correspondance with customer service, and they indicate the are "looking into it", but I have not heard back.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Chosen33,

We can look into the situation further (see if any recalls are associated to your vehicle specifically/follow up with your dealership and help work with them towards resolving this concern). Please email us with your name/user name, contact information, the last 8 of your VIN, and your involved dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I'm sorry that you still have not been contacted -- I will follow up on that.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    As a followup to the previous post - I have received a call from GM that they are looking into what they can do to assist with the above mentioned issues. They are communicating, which is great. I appreciate the efforts so far. I was told I will get a call back next week to discuss it further.
  • krystalwkrystalw Member Posts: 2
    In the last 6 months, I have had to get the transmission fixed, the power steering pump replaced (at my cost) and the water pump replaced. The trouble started at about 55,000 miles so it was convenient for THEM since I was just over the mileage for them to fix anything. It too the dealership 4-5 weeks to fix the transmission stating they only had ONE transmission person. What's worse is that they couldn't even diagnose the issue for 2 weeks and I had to pay for a rental car out of my own pocket.

The power steering pump and water pump went out at the exact same time. There was fluid leaking in my garage. I will NEVER buy another new buick enclave. I was so pleased with it at first, that I recommended to all my family and friends. I am retracting my "love" of my car. It is still a brand new car and has had TOO many issues NOT under warranty. I cannot afford to keep throwing money at this car.
    I'm sorry to hear about the multiple concerns that have come up with your Enclave recently. Have you already been working with Customer Assistance? If you wou le like to, please email us more information including your name/username, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and the name of your involved dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service