Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda 3 Rattles, Bumps, and Squeaks

tali3tali3 Member Posts: 4
edited August 2018 in Mazda
Hi fellow zoomers -- I love my new 5D Mazda 3 Touring. Just a little concerned about some wheel squeaking when I back up or out of a parking space turning wheels left or right. Also, hear from front end when car first started in a.m. and/or after stationary a weird noise that is difficult to describe -- maybe like a strumming sound of a stringed instrument being 'plucked' only without a tune...bizarre, I know, but then again I am reading some of these discussions...enough said?

'Hoping it's like those who have said it 'went away' after awhile...dealer looked at car 1st week when hearing 'clicking' noise on acceleration -- they said splines had to be lubricated; a friend said it is normal 'engine backlash' to protect transmission? [sorry, not a mechanic -- drove another new one with dealer that did same thing...] Okay then, feedback anyone?????

Comments

• andrew26andrew26 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a used 2005 Madza3 in December and I now have a loud squeaking sound originating from somewhere near the rear wheels when I drive. As I drive faster the sound is faster and when I brake there is a sound of metal crunching metal. As the car slows the scrapping sound also slows until I am stopped and there is no sound at all. I took it to my brake mechanic and he said the brakes were fine. I don't know what this could be. Anyone have this problem before?
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    A bearing?
  • stallionrestallionre Member Posts: 205
    Not me. However, sounds like a wheel problem, maybe a bearing. It could be your half shaft's. Are your boots in tact? Make sure that they are not cracked or leaking fluid.
    thanks so much for that idea. That sounds like the problem. I appreciate the help.
  • stallionrestallionre Member Posts: 205
    Sure no problem. Please let us know what the problem is, so that it can help other if they hear this noise.
  • ayoda5ayoda5 Member Posts: 4
    BACKGROUND: Got a mazda3i w/ around 49,000 miles. Had new pads put on in Oct. 2006. Rotors resurfaced about 2 weeks ago.

PROBLEM: About a month ago (before rotors resurfaced and after new pads) a small squeaking noise began in my rear left wheel. Its an intermittent squeak which gets faster and louder the quicker I go. When I brake the noise disappears. To me this rules out a bearing problem (bearing failure is more of a grinding noise also, isn’t it?). My mechanic thought it might be an out of place shim, or some other type of interference. I plan on taking off the wheel to see if there is anything obvious.

I am confused b/c if it was the bearing then the noise shouldn’t stop when I apply the brakes, right? Also I just got new pads about 8,000 miles ago, and there is still plenty of pad left, and the resurfacing occurred after the noise popped up. So, the noise didn’t appear directly after any brake work. The only conclusion that I can make w/ my little knowledge is that something perhaps wasn’t installed quite right when the pads were done and now the interference is causing the noise.

Anyway its annoying the hell out of me, so if there is anyone out there who has any clues, I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "However, sounds like a wheel problem, maybe a bearing. It could be your half shaft's. Are your boots in tact? Make sure that they are not cracked or leaking fluid."

I'm confused. I thought that andrew26 was reporting a noise coming from the REAR wheels.......not the fronts.
    This is andrew26 and I was reporting from the rear. This seems to be another problem someone is having.
    I went and had it looked at an was told it was not a bearing issue but rather a rotor issue. The mechanic told me that machining the rotors would solve the problem. I am very skeptical though because another mechanic didn't see any problem with the rotors when he looked at the car.

ayoda5- You sound like you are having the same problem I am having. Theres a high pitched sqweal that gets faster as you drive faster. When I hit the brakes you get the crunching sound associated with a wharped rotor though as well.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    I went and had it looked at an was told it was not a bearing issue but rather a rotor issue. The mechanic told me that machining the rotors would solve the problem. ... another mechanic didn't see any problem with the rotors when he looked at the car.

Warped rotors sounds reasonable. What did the other mechanic suggest was the problem?

Your car is relatively new, so you may want to complain to the dealer about premature brake wear and see what they say.
  • jrphillips76jrphillips76 Member Posts: 1
    I had a problem with a very similar sound coming from my right rear wheel. Turns out the wheel well needed to be adjusted to keep the metal from rubbing on the tire. I guess with the 17" wheels there is little room for misalignment. That adjustment fixed my problem.

Hope this can be of some help.
  • psatopsato Member Posts: 1
    I have a moaning sound coming from the air conditioning unit. Anyone else with this problem? If so, was it fixed? Also, water leaks into the tail lights and the fog lights. Anyone else? Thanks.
  • pogs8008pogs8008 Member Posts: 2
    I don't know if this is the same sound, but I also hear a "clink" noise from the front end whenever I shift my car from Park to Reverse when the engine is 'cold'. Lately it's been two clink noises when I shift gears. I'm visiting the dealer later this week so hopefully they'll have an answer. I just bought my 07 Mazda3 i Sport last month.
  • pogs8008pogs8008 Member Posts: 2
    Follow up: I parked my 3 at the dealership the night before, since the 'clink' sound happens only when it's turned on for the first time that day. The service guys heard it, and checked the engine and mounts which they said were fine. Then they said they checked several other new cars and those cars made the same type of sounds. If anyone else has the same problem, do you know if this sounds right?

They did advise me to let the car warm up a little longer before shifting gears, and to press on the brake all the way down when shifting. It's only been a couple of days since I got my car back but I didn't hear the clink sound this morning when I did what they suggested.

Hope that helps.
  • mazdrvrmazdrvr Member Posts: 112
    I think (and hope) its just one of those things and is probably nothing. I had my 07'3s for almost 8 months now and from the beginning i heard those noises too. Its usually when i go from park to reverse for the first time in the day. I let the car warm for a little bit (until the rpm goes down to 1). I usually hear 2 clicks but a few times i heard only 1.
  • gopherheelgopherheel Member Posts: 1
    My brand new 2008 5dr Mazda3 Sport with the auto transmission has had the identical issue when shifting into reverse on a cold start. In fact I described it in the exact same way to my service tech. It is back at the dealer today getting checked out. Unfortunately the service tech said he couldn't replicate the sound from cold start, so they are now probably thinking I've dreamed it up. It's encouraging to see this posting so I know it's not a completely fluke thing, and also nothing that seems to cause any significant issues.
  • rcwittyrcwitty Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2007 Mazda3 S Touring and I noticed this summer that when the A/C was on, I could hear the compressor coming on and off while I was waiting in traffic. However, this fall when I've had the heat running, the same noise occurs. It's as if the compressor is still working even though the heat is on and not the A/C. Does anyone know what this is about? I've checked to make sure the A/C button is off when I turn on the heat. The funny part of it is that when I have the fan control set to 0ff, there is no sound at all. I'm worried that something is running that should not be when I use my heat.
    When I accelerate, I hear a slight rattling sound (almost like someone who has a rattle in their throat) coming from the front passenger's side of the car. When I'm not accelerating I don't hear the noise.
    Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks!
  • tomkozskitomkozski Member Posts: 39
    What you are hearing is normal. The compressor cycles on and off when the a/c is on. It doesn't stay on the whole time. Also, the a/c (the compressor) will turn on automatically when you select the floor setting or beyond (like when you need to defrost/defog the front windshield), even if the temp is set to the hottest setting, as long as it is above 32F (0C) outside. This part is explained in the owner's manual. The a/c light won't be on, but the compressor will run. It helps to dehumidify the air.
  • baci4baci4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a brand new Mazda 3 with 4000 miles on it and it started making quite a nasty clunk sound in the back hatch area particularly when going slowly over bumps. It got worse and I took it into the dealer. The factory had evidently not properly tightened (torqued) the sway bar nuts. The mechanic at the dealer said that it was the second one they had seen this week. I just wanted to put this post up to let others know of the issue. I couldn't find any similar problem when I searched for it online.

Since the sound got worse over time, I assume that greater damage could have been done (or it was dangerous) if I had not taken it in quickly.
  • shazzyshazzy Member Posts: 5
    When I accelerate, I hear a slight rattling sound (almost like someone who has a rattle in their throat) coming from the front passenger's side of the car. When I'm not accelerating I don't hear the noise.
    Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks!
  • toledoantoledoan Member Posts: 5
    No ideas, but I have a very similar problem, only mine is more pronounced when driving 70 mph. It is a vibration like noise of some sort coming from the passenger's side. I've removed things from the cup holders, glove box, everything. No luck.
  • mazda4mazda4 Member Posts: 1
    I had a New 2008 MAZDA 3 Sedan (1.6L) Automatic transmission, when I shift the gear stick from P to R or to D or from N to D, ther is a slight change in the sound of the engine with a new low sound is added. Is this thing normal?
    And can anybody tell me what is the fuel consumption of this car Km/L.
    Thank you....
    well i have tried the car firm and still no luck.....but the noise is getting worst and irritating.....
    I just took my car to the shop and they said they couldn't hear the sound. I don't know what to think. It's under warranty so they probably wouldn't want to fix it. :mad:
    i tried the firm today..they said they think its a bearing noise...have to run further checks next week....good luck
  • comet2003comet2003 Member Posts: 3
    baci4,

I too had the same problem with my 2007 MS3 with less than 2000 miles. The rear strut and sway bar nuts were loose and had to be re-tighten by the dealer. I 've had no problems since, but would like the dealer to also check the front end during my next service visit.

Thanks.
    hey thanks ..i would give it a try and let u know....if not i am selling her.......
  • mazdrvrmazdrvr Member Posts: 112
    I don't have an answer but i am experiencing something similar. I just noticed it the other day & my sound is very faint so far but every time i accelerate, i can hear it. I know if i address the issue at my dealership, they wouldn't hear it or would find anything wrong... I hope it doesn't get worse.
  • pjadepjade Member Posts: 5
    Just bought a 2008 Mazda3 i touring 4 door sedan. Has anyone noticed a high pitched hum that comes from the left side engine compartment near the fan belt. It is always there but especially hear it when sitting at a stoplight or even if the accessories is on with the engine not running. Can hear it inside the car, but hear it most when standing outside. I talked to Mazda service and they said that this is common on all Mazda3's as it has to do with the electronic power steering - just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? It is kind of odd to consider it normal. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • bcmz3bcmz3 Member Posts: 2
    I am a new comer to this forum, but I like it very much. I am live in BC Canada, I bought a 08 MZ3 HB one month ago. After I drive it for a while, when I stop the car I can hear the "tick tick..." sound from the engine, and also the idol is not stable sometimes. Did anybody have the similar experience? Thank you..
  • markb3markb3 Member Posts: 23
    Is it Canadian "Idol" or American "Idol" :) . Are you in Richmond? ;)
  • bcmz3bcmz3 Member Posts: 2
    Hey due
    I live in Vancouver. :D
  • hpyrdhdhpyrdhd Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 Mazda 3 shifts poorly in the morning/when it's cold-jerky movements, clears up after a few minutes. :mad:
  • jhnjohnpjhnjohnp Member Posts: 2
    IF YOU HAVE IT SET TO CLEAR THE WINDSHIELD THE COMPRESSOR
    WILL BE IN PLAY.
  • jhnjohnpjhnjohnp Member Posts: 2
    YES TO YOUR QUESTION. MY SON HAS A 2007 2.3L MAZDA 3 AND
    GETTING A HIGH PITCHED TONE FROM PASSENGER SIDE OF
    ENGINE. DEALER ALSO ADVZD ELECTRIC POWER STEERING.
    TEST DROVE A BRAND NEW ONE AND NO NOISE SO IT MUST
    DEVELOP OVER TIME. 25000 MILES ON HIS CAR.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Please turn off your caps lock.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• shlavekshlavek Member Posts: 4
    Hey all,

I have a small problem, but I'm curious to get to the bottom of it. I just bought a pre-owned 2004 mazda 3 with 40,000 miles. The car is in great shape and I'm confident that it will go a long ways. I have noticed a strange sound when I'm parking or going really slow. It sounds like an old door creaking....and it seems random. If driven for a while the problem wont be there, but otherwise it is noticable. I've taken it to a mechanic and the car didn't do it. I have done some research and some people say bushings. I see how this would make sense, but I need the problem to happen when the car is actually being looked at...haha. Please let me know if anyone has encountered this problem, and what needs to be fixed for the problem to stop.
    Hello,

I have a 2007 Mazda 3 S Touring with about 8800 miles on it. When I accelerate, I often hear a slight rattle coming from the front passengers side. I've taken the car to the shop and they've gone for a ride with me and told me they can't hear it. The rattle is very suttle, and only during acceleration, but it's there. I've had other people say they can hear it. Does anyone have any ideas what this might be?

Thanks.
    no seems to know what it is...i am so frustrated...just want to sell it...but if i do i will let u know...
    nigel
  • sml6sml6 Member Posts: 4
    I have 2007 Mazda 3 S Grand Touring. At 13,000 I heard a slight rattle sound too from the passenger side. 500 miles later, the rattle became a lapping sound. 200 miles later, lapping sound turned to a high pictched whizzing sound upon acceleration. I took it in for service, and turned out to be an unpleasant experience. I was told the belt needed to be replaced because it had become loose. I was told that I was responsible to pay for the repair! What about the warranty?? Srvc guy gave some lame excuse that thing of this nature, i.e., belt issues, have a limited warranty of 12,000 miles, which I *just* happened to exceed. Bullsh*t! I called Mazda headquarters and they issued the repair, free of charge. No more noise after replacement. 3000 miles later, I'm hearing another rattle, just when I accelerate every now and then. At this rate, I'll be glad when my lease is over. Mazda 3 is surely a bang-for-the-buck. But reliability remains to be another, undesirable issue.
    3000 miles later, I'm hearing another rattle, just when I accelerate every now and then.

Have you brought it into service again to identify the problem?

How many miles do you average per year?
  • hazelbagelhazelbagel Member Posts: 2
    I just took my Mazda3 in this week for a sound I heard when I accelerate, just after backing up. The noise happens at about 10-15 mph, and I can also feel it through the gas pedal. It is the exact sound you are describing, but I notice it every time I reverse and then accelerate forward. The mechanic was able to duplicate it when I was in the car with him and told him how to recreate it. It seems that it happens only when reversing and turning the wheel, then accelerating forward. When we pulled into a lane of parallel parking spaces and backed up a few feet without turning the wheel before going forward, the noise did not happen. The mechanic agreed that it was strange; however, later on that day, they tested the other Mazda3s they had on the lot and they said that it happens on all of them. I've been living with it for a few months now, and nothing bad has happened, so I'm hoping it continues this way. At least I've logged my complaint with a Mazda dealer in case something happens later.
    Those pesky sounds can be annoying! Another area that I have found prone to creating noises are the brakes, especially if there is a film of rust that's developed when the car has been sitting for a while. The next time it happens, you may want to have a friend stand outside the car to identify the problem area (front/back, driver/passenger side) as it may give your mechanic something more precise to check.
    It's me again...so I took my car the the mazda dealer since it is still uder warranty, and it has been fixed! It is from faulty bushings...somewhere in the stearing and suspension linkage. I guess the bushings are liquid filled and when they leak and wear out they make that creeking noise. I have put maybe 1000 miles on since they have done the work and its perfect, no noises what so ever. Lucky they also caught the leaking motor mount when I was there...also another liquid filled part that went faulty. Only promblems now are crappy sqeeking brakes and found out I had 2 bent wheels. Went to the dealership I bought it from and they basicly told me to get lost and I cursed them all out. I ordered high performace rotors and pads, and hope they stop the pesky noise and improve the ride and braking...I will let you know. As far as the wheels...since I have the 17in ones they were about 800. I can't believe mazda wont stand behind the wheels and my mechanic can't believe it either. As far as noises I have seen described by others, they seem common when you do a little research. If your mazda dealer basically tells you to get lost go to a different one...luckly the one I went to was pretty good.
  • tali3tali3 Member Posts: 4
    Hello shlavek, you are right on! From the very beginning I have been having trouble with the dealer re: the noisy brakes. When they are cold or it is rainy or icy, they grind and squeak. Curious, what is your mileage around? When I was approaching 20K {do driving for work and some OOT traveling} after the car was purchased new with 100 miles last July, I noticed that now, when the car is cold, there is a VERY loud screeching, almost high pitched foghorn sound EVERY time I back out of my parking space at home in a.m.. I have been convinced lately that it is much more than rust on brakes {what dealer decided and did nothing back in Dec.}. I have been fearing that there is a problem with wheel or axle - to a tee, apparently what you are describing. Perhaps because I drive more than the average person, we will be hearing more about this. 'Wonder what a Mazda zone rep. would have to say....lets keep ourselves posted and fellow zoomers too...!!!!
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    This all verifies what I heard a German engineer say about the difference between European and American drivers:
    Europeans don't care if the brakes squeal- just as long as they stop the car.
    Americans don't care if the brakes stop the car- just as long as they don't squeal."

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Europeans don't care if the brakes squeal- just as long as they stop the car.
    Americans don't care if the brakes stop the car- just as long as they don't squeal.

Bizarre.
    Hi again,

As far as my brakes go they sound horrible. It's not the fact that they are just loud they feel like they are not catching right, especially in rain! It is annoying that they are loud, but they are chirping and creating some other interesting sounds. My rotors look horrible... the surface appears ok but they are very rusty. The dealership turned them and the problem was still present. I just said screw it and bought cross drilled slotted rotors that are powder coated. I also bout high performance QUITE ceramic pads. When I have them installed I will let you know the difference.
  • mizzoumazdamizzoumazda Member Posts: 17
    I hear a high-pitch harmonic noise when I am driving on a smooth road in quiet conditions, most commonly when the car is coasting/decelerating. It is rather annoying!
  • stibiubstibiub Member Posts: 2
    Hi rcwitty

Any news on this?

I think I have the same problem, the noise is exactly as you describe it: slight rattle, only during acceleration, usually pretty quiet but sometimes a little louder. It used to come from the front passengers side but it moved to the middle of the dashboard, between driver and the passenger. It's some kind of a "tick-tick-tick-tick-tick" that can be heard every now and then, in all gears and rpm. It appears more often when I'm climbing. It never appears when accelerating idle.