Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Towing Questions

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Your English is far better than my French and we understood perfectly what you meant. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • santafex2santafex2 Member Posts: 2
    Just wondering how your kit worked out for you. I ordered mine 2 weeks ago. I have a 2008 Santa Fe GLS. It also came with the tow package, however the rear was sitting a little low. Did you have to remove the exsisting mounts found up inside your springs to install your new air bags???
  • notlawdnotlawd Member Posts: 11
    I just installed mine and the instructions were horrible. I did have to remove the rubber jounce bumper. The hard part was getting the bumper out of the coils. I accidently pinched the airline on one side so I am hoping it does not blow. The other side went much smoother once I new what I was doing. You have to buy rubber grommets for where the airline passes through the hole you have to drill. I have not tested them yet but will soon.
  • santafex2santafex2 Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like you did fine. I did find an install video from coil rite on their website. They always make it look so easy. Thanks for tip - I will make sure buy the rubber grommets.
  • penpoohpenpooh Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 4WD Santa Fe LX and am wondering 1) did they have towing packages for this year and 2) if so, how can I tell if I have the proper towing package installed. Thanks!!
  • azjazj Member Posts: 18
    I'm looking for an 07 or up Santa Fe SE or Limited. How can I verify if a particular vehicle I'm looking at has the trailer prep/towing package (better fans, trans cooler (is this a better cooler or is there none without this), larger radiator)?

The 09 brochure indicates that all SE's and Limiteds have the trailer prep package. Is it really that simple for the 07s and 08s?

Obviously I'd rather not trust the salesman/dealer. Did that once before and didn't get what I was told.
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I have an 07 SF SE AWD wXM and have only made a quick cursory search, but was unable to locate any factory wiring on the drivers side wheel well. Good luck.
  • regan9663regan9663 Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

I was thinking of getting the Coil-Rites for my 2007 Hyundai SF and wondered what your impression of them are now that you've installed them. How and how hard was it to get the jounce bumpers removed? That's the only part that I'm questioning if I can do myself. The rest looks fairly straightforward for a DIY'er. Thanks.
    I hauled my 280# tongue weight trailer 850 miles and I had no problems. They worked great at keeping the vehicle level (no sag at all with about 19psi in them). However, they could have designed the plastic/rubber spacer better. It just floates around the top of the spring and the only thing that keeps it from coming out is the air line. They jounce bumper is easy to remove from the mount. Just pull down at an angle. Getting it out the the coil is another story. I had to disconnect the shock (which is easy) and then pry it out with a long screw driver (not so easy). I hope this helps.
  • salmousalmou Member Posts: 4
    Hi, i did not tried it whit my trailer-tent yet!! It,s gonna be in 2 weeks. But i can tell you that to remove my jounce bumper i did not have to remove my shock. I used water and soap to help me glide it thru the coil. Where i had a little bit more trouble is to pass the air line thru the hole of the support of the jounce bumper and pass the line to make sure that it did not touch the exhaust !!! Dont forget to put rubbers grommets like notlawd says it's very important and dont be cheap on tye-rap to hold the air line in place!!!!! I have pass my air line to go inside the trunk, and i have install a small air tank whit a gauge to have a reserve. The spring valve to fill it up is inside whit the gauge !! I think it's nice and more practical !!!!!!
    Thanks for replying so quickly. I notice that the jounce bumper mount appears to have a metal collar piece and I was wondering does that get removed too or just the rubber mount? I'm pulling a 10' Coleman popup and there's just too much sag when I get it all loaded up. And I don't think I've got that much weight in the back either. I'm hoping these will do the trick.
  • salmousalmou Member Posts: 4
    Hi, Yes you have to remove the metal piece on top of the rubber bumper. There's a bolt in the middle of it, just remove the bolt and it will fall. Before you remove the bolt make sure that you have remove the rubber bumper before. This way it's gonna be easier to pass it thru the coil !!! After you are gonna pass the air hose thru the hole of the bolt that you have just remove.
    Me i'm pulling a 10' starcraft popup and when i'm loaded it's almost 2700 pounds!! I will try it next week for the first time whit the air spring!! Me to the problem was to much sag.
  • pkclepkcle Member Posts: 3
    Hi. I need help with the wiring. I have a 2007 Santa Fe Limited. I used the etrailer 4 pole wiring. Since my 1998 Coleman camper has a 7 pole, I added the 4 to 7 pole adapter. Everything looked great, except I can only get the right and left turn lights to work on the camper. No running lights or brake lights. Any ideas? I am guessing it is something with a fuse? I appreciate an ideas/suggestions.
  • slateblueslateblue Member Posts: 110
    I would check to make sure you have a good ground connection, many times this is the primary reason for non working lights. Good luck.
    The ground is screwed into the hole of the frame by the inside of the left taillight. I used this harness. http://www.etrailer.compc-VWH~118415.htm?vehicleid=20077324.

The 7 to 4 pole adapter I used was this: http://www.etrailer.com/p-30717.htm

The adapter has 3 wires and a ground that aren't attached to anything. Should they be? And to what?

The camper has no breaks.
    I'm sure you ruled out a fuse problem. Your ground connection should be on a non painted, shiney surface. Use a continuity tester to be sure your getting power at the brake/running light connections. I would also connect the unconnected ground on the adapter to a shiney surface and see if that might be the problem.

If still not working I would double check the trailer lights for good ground and possible breaks in wire connections. You might also double check the Santa Fe harness connections for any loose or non contact wire problems where they tap in to the vehicle to be sure they're connected to the proper wires.
    Thanks for the advise. I reseated the ground and my break lights on the camper started to work dimly. Then I used the emergency flashers and everything seemed to work fine. Flashers, breaks, turn signals all work fine now. Thanks again!
    Your welcome, glad your lights are working ok.
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    On a second more intensive search, I did find the connectors on the inside drivers side of the rear tire well. Yippeeee.
  • mandertonmanderton Member Posts: 2
    Do you think the sante fe could tow a 2000LB boat in and out of the water on a muddy unpaved boat ramp and be ok? Also do you usually tow with four to five people in the vehicle as well? Some guy in another post told me i'd be pushing my luck if i towed a 2000LB boat with a 400 Lb trailor while hauling four people plus myself.
  • ron71157ron71157 Member Posts: 11
    Hi,
    Towed my 19.5 ft bayliner/trailer and 3 adults with no trouble (2.7 liter engine). Trip had many inclines and the powerplant struggled but we made it...also no problem on a very long and steep (paved) boatramp. Very satisfied!!

Give it a try and good luck!
  • skipperlskipperl Member Posts: 5
    OK, I looked at all 3 hitches and tow package cable available at etrailer All three hitches look pretty much the same and I'm leaning toward the drawtite since I have used their products before and need the cable mounting bracket. My problem is that reseller ratings website ( http://www.resellerratings.com/store/eTrailer ) is not giving these guys a very good rating for various reasons. Packing material and damage during shipment seem to be a common factor. I also see no warranty for the cable bundle or manufacturer. Can any of you comment on my concerns?

Thanks in advance.
  • par721par721 Member Posts: 14
    I bought the Curt from eTrailer and it's great, plus you can't see the cross bar at all. I didn't experience any issues with them and was completely satisfied. I bought the Curt it because I didn't want the bracket as it's only used to cart the family's bikes here and there, vacations, etc. If you need the bracket I would buy the Hidden Hitch and again, had no issues with eTrailer. In fact, like you, I was looking for advice before buying my hitch and most of the people then, including Ron above (what's up Ron!) bought theirs on eTrailer. Good luck.
    Hey, Thanks for the input. I went ahead and ordered the drawtite because I know the brand, it was the one in their installation video, etrailers reviews rated it well and I needed the bracket. I think, besides the bracket, the three hitches for the Santa Fe are pretty much the same. I guess that's enough reasons.

Anyhow, I ordered, got and a confirmation email very quickly and then they upgraded my shipping to 3 day AAAND they shipped it same day. I will get all my stuff this Friday. So far so good. Certainly no complaints so far. Again thanks for the input.
    All systems go with new drawtite hitch and cable with no problems what so ever. Took about 40 mins total cause I like tie wraps. And by the way, shipping and packaging was just fine, ups of course came late. Great price, customer service and product.
  • al940al940 Member Posts: 1
    Igallant: Do you remember the part number for the rubber sockets & the auto store that you bought at. I am thinking of doing that same thing on my 2009 Santa Fe. I have the trailer package so I think that I can get the power from that. Thanks AL940
  • jstegalljstegall Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a white 2009 Santa Fe and would like to add a receiver hitch with the expressed purpose of carrying our bikes on our Thule bike rack. I have done some preliminary research and found that Draw-tite, HiddenHitch, and Curt all make a class 3 bolt-on hitch that is compatible. Of these three (or perhaps you know of other brands), which look the best, particularly regarding styling.

Thanks for your help!
  • par721par721 Member Posts: 14
    Hi jstegall,

Since you mention your intention is to use the hitch primarily to haul bicycles, such as the case with me, I recommend the Curt. The Curt fit my '08 SF much better than what the dealer gets for you. You can't see anything by the hitch itself from looking from the rear of the car. It's great. The one from the dealer was completely visible, meaning cross bar and the hitch. I bought my Curt hitch from eTrailer.com and am very happy with them. I also bought my Thule bike carrier from eTrailier.com.

I was as concerned, if not more, about how it looked on my SF as it was functional. I got both covered with the Curt hitch. This one from Curt looks exactly like the one from Hidden Hitch, but theirs includes a tab that sticks out next to the hitch mouth (for lack of a better term) that is used to mount an electrical connection if you are towing a boat, small trailer, etc. Since you are only using the hitch for bikes, as do I, the Curt is the way to go for functionally and looks.

Good luck.
  • jstegalljstegall Member Posts: 2
    par71...

Thank you so much for this very helpful information! It's just what I wanted to know.

Best wishes!

jstegall
    Just an update on the airspings. 5 months of use and no problems. Not only are they good for towing heavy tongue weights, they are good when traveling with a lot of cargo. Keeps the Sant Fe level no matter what the load is and improves ground clearance.
  • ronkennedy61ronkennedy61 Member Posts: 23
    Plan to order from truckspring.com for $101.59 for self-install on 09 Santa Fe or have Les Schwab do all for #219.30. Appears Air Lift does not offer kit for 07-09 . Appreciate advice on where to drill for inflation valves, psi for when not carrying load, etc. Appears that kit now includes rubber grommets but called "flat washers"?
    I placed the valves on the 7-pin elec. hookup mounting bracket. One on each side above the plug, I run about 7 psi when not towing and 12-18 when towing. Make sure you keep some pressure above 5 psi at all times to avoid damage to the air bags.
    Decided to have Les Schwab install and glad I did as took them a long time. They used existing holes behind left rear mud flap for valves as I do not have bracket mentioned by notlawd. Very slow leak on left bag so back to Schwab soon. They had great difficulty removing jounce bumpers and did not like the sharp angle the air line has to take coming out of the mount, and if this results in pinching, they want to install a right angle fitting at no extra charge. As others have mentioned, be very careful adding air to these low pressure bags, as you will overinflate almost instantly with a compressor.
    I concur with you on the issue regarding the angle of the line as it comes out the jounce bumper and pinching the line. The instructions do not accurately reflect the angle of the suspension arm in relation to the bag and coil spring. I am having to replace one of my bags due to the line finally splitting because of the pinching and a small leak developing from the valve on top of the bag. I'm going to try and enlarge the hole where the jounce bumper bolt threads into and hope that this provide more flexibility in the line as the coil spring is compressed and eliminate the pinching issue with the air line.
    for regan9663 etal. Les Schwab had to drill a 3/8" hole to reduce the pinching, they fixed the leak on the left side. and no more leaks after two weeks, but I have my fingers crossed. Now I have fairly loud creaking in the rear which may or may not be the air bags since I am more sensitive to rear noises after the air bag installation. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this noise. I carry 11psi in the bags when not pulling the trailer.
    Creaking noise was the air bags, so I forced silicone grease between coils and bags and creaking eliminated, but will probably have to periodically renew. One bag (or line or fitting ) started leaking again so back to Les Schwab again next week. Merry Christmas to all !
    Can you tell me where they drilled the 3/8" hole? Was it on the threaded opening that the jounce bumper collar was bolted to? I had to inspect my left side today because it stopped holding air. I discovered it is leaking in the same area the right side one was (out the top of the bag where the air fitting is). I'm disappointed with this product so far.
    For regan9663 etal. Hole was drilled in side of jounce bumper mount and I was wrong, it is oversize to about 1/2" because the mechanic was concerned with pinching. Les Schwab thinks the 4170 is a poor design. The mechanic called Firestone today and talked to a "Richard", the engineer designer of the 4170. As I understand it, Richard said they had sold 81 of the 4170 this year for, I assume, the 2007-09 Santa Fe, and I am the only one with a problem that has reached him. Richard is sending right angle connectors which may or may not solve the leaks. The upper supports will not stay in place on my Santa Fe, they just float around and are probably part of the problem, and Richard suggested they could be removed, but the mechanic thinks that will just cause more pinching. The mechanic thinks that air shocks would be better, but Les Schwab does not have a listing for the Santa Fe, so it would be a matter of measuring , looking for a fit, and what sounds like some trial and error, which I doubt I will want to do. The Les Schwab manager will return from vacation next week, and I will ask for a refund of the air springs and the installation, and have Les Schwab go after Firestone. However, the jounce bumpers were thrown away by Les Schwab, so I guess I will have to see if they are available from a junk yard or a dealer and, hopefully, not part of a complete coil spring package. Good luck with yours.
    After about 7 months and 6,000+ miles (with and without loads) with no problems, the driver side bag starting leaking. I have not had time to determine where the leak is but I suspect the top of the air bag where the line connects (like your problem). The line is pinched. It holds air for about a day. I have noticed the spacers do not stay in place. I wonder why Firestone did not design them with a ridge to set inside the jounce bumper mount. I will be writing Firestone and requesting a replacement kit. If they let me keep the old parts, I will try to rout out the spacer to keep it from moving. The passenger side is still fine. Please let me know how you did with the refunds. Do you have a number for Richard? I think it will help for him to hear there are others with problems.
    For notlawd etal. Les Schwab probably called the phone number of their supplier and went from there, but I do not have that number. With 25psi in the bags, they may have stopped leaking, but I am not sure if I want to keep that much air in there when not carrying a load which is 90% of the time. I am going to wait another week to see if they have stopped leaking before I go back to Les Schwab and either try the right angle connectors or have the bags removed. Obviously, I do not trust the things, so I probably will have them removed.
    When I received my replacement kit last month I noticed both the bag and the spacer were different than the original one I received. The spacer was black and it did have a ridge designed into it so it would fit better into the top of the bag as the vehicle is compressed down on it when you lower it off the jack. I think it is an improvement over the other ones. I have another replacement kit on the way so we'll see if I received the same bag and spacer as I got last month.
  • snowsailsnowsail Member Posts: 2
    I pull a 2800lb camper with two sea kayaks and 2 bicycles and the Fe is fully loaded total load around 3700lb. She has absolutely no trouble pulling this even up steep hills. The trick is (and this comes from the Hyundai mechanic) DONT LUG THE MOTOR. At the bottom of the hill shift her to 3500 / 4500 RPM and up she goes, real easy... try it.
  • kevin6119kevin6119 Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to find out if the 2010 Santa Fe with pre-installed tow package has the "plug and play" harness for installing a brake controller. The dealer has installed the 4-way wiring for the signal and running lights but I can find no information on installing a brake controller.

I have installed a brake controller in my GM vehicle where I had to manually splice into my brake pedal wiring and run the leads to the battery and run the blue lead to the 7-way plug. I do not wish to do this on the Santa Fe as it will probably void the warranty and I am not the owner of the Santa Fe.

As well, are there any "air bag" helper springs available for the 2010? I phoned Michigan Truck Spring and they phoned Firestone who did not have an answer at this time.There are air springs listed for the 2007-2009 models but I feel the design on the 2010 has changed.
  • hippie76hippie76 Member Posts: 1
    Hi There,

Do you pull this with a weight distribution system or any sway control? If so, what is your solution. Thanks for your help.
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    i am considering purchasing a 2010 santa fe with v6. on edmunds, there is no tow option. has anyone towed with it, and what about the fifth wire. thanks. rr70
  • johnginn_2000johnginn_2000 Member Posts: 1
    I have a small winnebago that i want to tow my santa fe behind and travel the country. i am about to purchase a hitch for it and was told that i would burn up my tranny if i dont have a special pump installed. what kaind of pump is there and where can i get it?
    :confuse:
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    if your model doesn't have the towing package that includes a transmission cooler - you may want to install an aftermarket one before towing....
  • nash71nash71 Member Posts: 1
    Through most of these questions & answers, there is mention of a towing package. I purchased a 2009 Sante Fe used & don't recall anything mentioned about a towing package. How does one determine if it has the towing package or not? Also, I'm only looking at pulling a small trailer for minimal hauling. If my Sante Fe doesn't have the towing package, is it still ok to pull a small trailer basically around town.
  • ron71157ron71157 Member Posts: 11
    Hi,
    As far as I can tell, the only model with the so-called "towing package" is the limited. We have a 2008 SE and it has a small transmission oil cooler in the front of the radiator on the bottom left as you look at it. It also has the factory wiring at the driver's rear of the car which made installation a snap. No problem towing our 19.5 ft bayliner, as mentioned earlier; downshifting when needed for hill-climbing. Satisfied owner

Happy Towing!!
  • azjazj Member Posts: 18
    For 2009 the SE also has the towing package, at least mine does.