Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Blazer Keys

silverfoxdjrsilverfoxdjr Member Posts: 7
I have a 2001 SLT and at certain times the key will not go to the "HOME" position, so I have to spend time futzin' with the key and shifter and brake pedal till I get the right combo and finally then the key will go "HOME and can be removed. This is really tickin me off. Has anybody had this problem?

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Try this: key stuck?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • unicorn747unicorn747 Member Posts: 15
    I HAVE A 2001 AND HAD THE SAME TYPE OF PROBLEM! IF LOOK ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE STEERING COLUMN CHECK TO SEE IF THERE'S A SMALL SIZED PLUG COVERING UP A LITTLE HOLE- YOU HAVE TO LOOK REALLY CLOSE BECAUSE IT CAN BE HARD TO SEE AT FIRST. IF THERE IS REMOVE THAT LITTLE PLUG & WHEN THE KEY GETS STUCK USE ANOTHER KEY OR LIKE THE END OF AN INK PEN AND STICK UP IN THAT HOLE AS YOU TURN THE TO OFF AND THAT SHOULD LET YOU GET IT TO THE OFF POSITION. THAT'S WHAT I HAVE TO DO WIHT MINE. GOOD LUCK!!
  • silverfoxdjrsilverfoxdjr Member Posts: 7
    Unicorn747, I owe you a zillion dollars!!!!LOL. When I have a chance to access the lower column bezel I want to see what & why causes this. I'll let you know the results. Again, thanks a million
    Fox
  • problematicproblematic Member Posts: 1
    I`ve got all the covers off Except the top of the steering column. How do I get the key gaurd off??
  • miklormiklor Member Posts: 1
    There is a small white electric solenoid that clips in above the key switch and is also held in by one screw. You can gain access to it by removing the plastic cover under the steering wheel. It works with the shifter and must have power to it to allow the key to be turned off. You may have noticed that if you disconnect the battery you can not get the key out.If this is not getting power when the key is on you may have a problem with the neutral start switch or shifter button. Although not recommended I took the solenoid out.
  • kenj66kenj66 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    Ok I have a 97 jimmy that all of a sudden with no warning has the key stuck. Along with this my transmission will not shift properly. The motor will start and I can shift to any position. But when I shift it to drive it acts like it is in a higher gear and wants to move but won't. This happened about a week ago and I unhooked the batt cable for the night rehooked up and then it went to working fine. Now it is stuck at work and i cant get it to move fowards. Just reverse. also when I shift to reverse it engages hard like a clunk. I think it is electricial or why did it shift fine the first time this happened. When it works it works fine with smooth shifts. Any ideas?
    I do have the ses light on but cant take it any where to get it checked.
    Thanks
    Kenj66
    I think I might have put this message in the wrong spot if I did I'm sorry
  • dess44dess44 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem and tried spraying the key switch with WD40. This didnt help so then I tried removing the cover around the gear shift(floor shift) I then sprayed everything I could reach and it freed up the shifter and now the key comes out without any problem. I think the shifter was hanging and would not let the shifter go into the park position.