Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX: Off Road

customxcustomx Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Acura
I have a 2007 MDX with the sport package with the 18" sport wheels. I didn't purchase the MDX for off road use. However, I may want to take it on the beach/soft sand occassionally to access camping areas.
Does anyone have any experience taking an MDX on the beach and sand?
Any tips, recommendations, or warnings?
Should this really be avoided?
Pointers to other info also appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• dms9dms9 Member Posts: 137
    Never did it. I have a sport too. I won't be taking it too offroad. But if you want to go on the sand, make sure you let out the air pressure in your tires. And, just as importantly, reinflate them when you get off the sand. A lot of places that you drive on the beach have air pumps as you enter the beach. Let us know how she handles "off road"
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Driving your car on the beach is almost as bad as driving it through an acid bath.
    Not only should you lower your tire pressure when you get onto the sand and re-inflate before you leave... but get it cleaned thoroughly as well.
    Beach sand/salt wreaks havoc on a car's finish! :sick:
  • zzsandmanzzsandman Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I am serously considering a purchase of a 2008 MDX . I live near a soft sand beach and would like to take it on the beach. Have you had success in doing so?
    Secondly I have been reading blogs about the car battery conking out after 15 minutes of using electronic equip (radio) ( dvd) while the car is turned off. Car then cannot be started again and needs a jump. Have u experienced this?

Thanks
    zzsandman
  • sowrnewsowrnew Member Posts: 6
    Make sure you know someone with a Land Rover LR3 - they can tow you off the beach when you get stuck.
This discussion has been closed.