Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Accord Sedan Could Be Everyman's Acura RL

turner433turner433 Member Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Acura
Has anybody else out there noticed that the 2008 Honda Accord sedan has the same chassis as the Acura RL? It looks like Honda created the 2008 Accord sedan by taking an RL, slightly changing the exterior sheet metal, improving the interior use of passenger space (can't believe the RL has less interior space than a TL), and getting rid of SH-AWD. And the RL is a $45k car. I think the new Accord should substantially outsell the Camry. The big question in my mind: could this be the first Accord where it might conceivably make sense to purchase the v-6? I'll stake my vote that until now, the weight/handling trade-off made an Accord V-6 a less desireable choice.
So here's how I see it: Honda has the Acura TSX/European Accord to compete with BMW 3 series, Audi A4 and Volvo S40 small sedans; the Acura RL/2008 Accord to compete with the Audi A6, BMW 5 series and Volvo S60 (compare length, wheelbase & hp of the RL to the BMW 5). I'd like to see Honda -- and Car & Driver -- making these comparisons more pointedly. And for Honda to put the BMW 5 series more in its cross-hairs for the RL/Accord. Much as I love Honda/Acura, I know its not quite BMW, but the value equation makes it my choice. Honda already made the MDX a clone of the BMW X5 -- from my perspective, losing a good bit of the prior gen MDX's family friendliness in the process. This leaves the extremely popular TL, based on the prior generation Accord, somewhat of an orphan. And I'd like to see the 2008 Accord Coupe get an Acura RL coupe treatment -- an everyman's Audi A5.
Look forward to hearing comments!!
08-28-2007 03:27 PM

Comments

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    I used to want a Legend or RL, at least in a fantasy world. An 08 Accord EXL should be pretty close to what a 40k RL was in c. 2003. It'll be a very good deal, but it looks like they may steal some sales from Acura.

Perhaps Acura will be the first to get A-Vtec?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    And it seems that Honda keeps taking this car farther and farther from what it used to be. Each succeeding generation gets bigger than its predecessors. Come to think of it, the same is true of the Civic.

Regarding the V-6, I almost think it makes less sense this time around, given that the EX will have a higher output 4 cylinder than the base models.
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    I doubt if the 08 Accord will be as refined as the current RL. Size and horsepower isn't everything about a car, as other refinements (available in the RL) are important. Honda/Acura is not going to kill off the more prestigious (and probably more profitable) Acura line by selling Acura look-a-likes at Honda prices.
  • fxguyfxguy Member Posts: 132
    The Accord may be just slightly under the RL in the refinement dept but i am sure it is on par with the TSX and possibly the TL. At this stage, i really cant justify spending big bucks on a TSX or TL. The Accord murders one violently in the horsepower dept and gently suffocates the other one (minus the TL-S). Yes, there are nice goodies to be found in the Acura line that Honda has left off the Accord (Backup Camera, Real time traffic NAV etc) but i can live without those things.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    fxguy,

Backup camera is a dealer installed accessory. You have to choose which color. It works just like the RL's camera.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    Just test drove one. Just as some background I currently drive a 2003 BMW 530i - one of the best BMWs ever built IMO - but I have also owned 3 Accords and a 91 and 95 Acura Legend.

The new Accord is impressive - from driving position - seats - interior - features - to ride and handling. After driving BMWs for the last 8 years I have gotten used to how a BMW can balance a luxury feel with outstanding handling - they can effortlessly take repeated harsh bumps and dispense with them in comfort while giving the driver a great deal of confidence even at high speeds (and not just in a straight line).

I was amazed to see how the Accord comes the closest to this BMW feel of all the cars I have ever driven - especially at its price level. The harshest bumps get absorbed gracefully. Torque steer is pretty much non-existent. Tranny and engine are silky smooth. It definitely brought a smile to my face.

I did test drive an RL when they came out and found that at the low-end there was just not enough torque for me. Also, I think the Accords new suspension bits do a better job of providing road feel (similar to a BMW).

So go out and test drive one and share your thoughts. I am a confirmed car-aholic and may have to buy one of these :)
  • rkelonrkelon Member Posts: 17
    The only thing I have noticed is it looks like a Saturn LS300...which was one ugly car.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    I have had 3 BMWs since 1993-two 325i's and currently a 2005 545i which will come off lease next July.

I will drive a 2008 EX-L V6 Accord based on what you posted.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    You wrote "The only thing I have noticed is it looks like a Saturn LS300...which was one ugly car."

I see, from your recent posts, that you buy Fords and Chevrolets. Why are you being a troll here?
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    he's being a troll because guys like him only wish ford came out with designs like these. :P

he thinks driving a mustang stick makes ugly people look good. Perhaps the reason he drives one? :)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We really aren't here to discuss other members. Let's move on, please.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    sorry pat couldn't resist.

ok, i'll behave. :)
  • snoopy4972snoopy4972 Member Posts: 8
    I will test drive one based on your post as well. I have to give up my X3 next month and am not looking forward to it. Looking for something less expensive for the time being and really struggling with the choice.

Thanks for sharing ;)
    Let us know what you think.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Will do.
  • stuartflstuartfl Member Posts: 14
    I have my 08 EX I4 for almost a week and over 400 miles. AVG 25.5 mpg mixed driving on the first tank. Car feels comparable to my daughters 3 series BMW on the road.(although it is nearly 3 feet longer and wider as well) Traded a 05 Camry and there is no comparison, it doesn't have the same upscale feeling. Not knocking the Camry, but I did have the transmission problem that they couldn't fix, other than that 53000 miles of good service. The Accord EX won me over after I saw it and test drove it. If you aren't impressed with the LX-P pickup, try the EX, that difference in HP and gearing made a big difference for me. I don't think it looks anything like a Saturn in person, the more I look at it, the Acura RL resemblance is undeniable.
  • sotissotis Member Posts: 6
    agree with stuartfl .Had my 08 EX for a week. Gave my 02 Camry to my wife.The honda feels more upscale and over
    3500 rpm the engine gets a second wind and really takes off.Looked at a new Camry ,but between transmission complaints ,and the drab grey interior it was not hard to switch.The car handles and drives very much like a german car.
  • cmk248cmk248 Member Posts: 5
    ANYONE WHO BUYS A BMW OVER AN RL REALLY WANTS TO WASTE THEIR MONEY,ESPECIALLY A 530I WITH LESS HORSEPOWER, LESS FEATURES AND $10-15K MORE IN PRICE.

IF YOU DRIVE THE RL, WHICH I DO EVERYDAY AND GO DRIVE A ACCORD THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO COMPARISON TO THE RL OR TL, MAYBE THE TSX BUT THAT'S ABOUT IT.
    Why are you yelling? Please turn off your Caps Lock key.
  • doug4321doug4321 Member Posts: 27
    Why does it bother you that the guy has his message in caps?He just wants to make his point,which he made.
    Not shouting in capital letters has long been part of the etiquette of the Internet, or netiquette. It's just common courtesy.

http://www.netmanners.com/courtesy1.html

http://email.about.com/cs/netiquettetips/qt/et020801.htm
  • keitha3keitha3 Member Posts: 124
    Besides the whole tenor of his post came off to me as condescending.

The thread at hand isn't to say that the new Accord is the RL, but whether it might be a semblance of same. He implied that the only possible comparison would be the TSX, which I really disagree with. I don't recall the low end Acura as having the room inside of the new Accord, nor would I expect the Accord to have nearly as sporty handling. I doubt he has driven both cars, which, if I recall, the previous poster had.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Yes, I think the TL and Accord are closer to RL than the TSX. Maybe he was overly excited, and didn't mean it like it was written? Who knows. :confuse:
    I was talking about the Accord vs. the RL since that was the thread. I have owned 3 Accords and 2 Legends so I think I can make a comparison even though I drive a BMW now ;)

So to respond to your offhand response - I am sure I paid much less for my 530 new than you paid for your RL new with a decent discount - and my 530 is slightly better 0 - 60 than an RL. I drove an RL and it does need more torque and better suspension compliance because of its heft. And I am not going to tell you that you wasted $20K for buying an RL instead a new Accord.

As for the CAPS mentioned by other posters - if you had anything RELEVANT to say I might be IRRITATED :surprise:
    this discussion is about the Accord and whether it can be seen as an "everyman's" RL. It's not a comparo in the usual sense of the word, so let's try to stick to the subject.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    "The only thing I have noticed is it looks like a Saturn LS300...which was one ugly car. "

I see I'm not in the minority on this subject. ;)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I don't see a majority of people seeing Accords and having a "Saturn" light bulb go off in their head. I'd say you two are both in the minority on it.
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    What about that grapefruit sized wart on the Camry's face...now that's an ugly front end. :P
    Saturns and Camrys really do not fit into this particular topic...
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    I haven't really seen the question answered here . . maybe only one person. If anyone owns an RL and has driven the new 08 Accord, do they drive similarly? How about suspension differences and ride quality? How about handling?

I was very interested in the BMW posts. Can an Accord really be compared to the handling and ride quality of a Beemer? I love my new Accord, particularly given its price. But, I've driven a 330xi on several long trips and, IMO, there isn't much of a comparison. The BMW is one sweet machine! (However, the BMW got traded in after several repairs with only 50k on the odometer!!!) I'm I all wet here?
    you need to test drive the new Accord...
  • 06nighthawkv606nighthawkv6 Member Posts: 55
    You know something, I do as well. I kinda like how they did the coupe and I bet it's a head turner and a testdrive is the sure thing to find out. :shades:
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    manybmws. You have suggested that I need to test drive the new Accord. I own one! I purchased an 08 EX-L in September. I really love it! But, I don't think its ride quality and handling is as nice as the BMW 330xi I have driven. The BMW has significantly better steering response, road feel and brakes. Do you agree? However, the BMW costs much more and may be less reliable. So, I'm not sure the comparison is useful. But, how about the Acura RL. I'm interested to know if the 08 Accord and RL are comparable.
    oops sorry - do you have the 6-cyl because that gets you closer to an RL driving experience? Also, I looked at the Accord Coupe this weekend and was impressed at how it looked but did not drive it. The coupe's suspension is set up to be firmer than the sedan and may be closer to driving a 3-series - dunno. It is also on my list to drive.

I have test driven an RL but owned a 91 and 95 Legend so that is my basis for my comparison in an earlier post. Oh, I also owned 3 different 4-cyl Accords from 84 - 91.

I currently own an '03 530i but have driven many 3-series. The last one I test drove was an '07 335 Coupe. IMO the 3-series with run flats just don't cut the mustard for me. Too much tramlining. I found even the 6-cyl 08 Accord with front-wheel drive and torque steer distracted me less than the 3s with runflats. Of course RWD cars have different handling dynamics than a FWD car.

If you are thinking of upgrading to the RL I would wait to the fall at the end of the model year. Acura dealers do heavily discount year-end models - well below invoice in my experience. I checked Edmunds for '07 RL pricing in September and they were going for just over $40K in my area. That in itself makes them attractive because they are solid vehicles.

Keep the Accord for a while - they have great resale... I always got top dollar for mine even on a trade.
  • eclipse2eclipse2 Member Posts: 64
    I have the 2006 RL it is no way Honda could make the 08 Accord drive like the RL the RL got awd and if it does I will be the 1st to tell Acura Honda to Ki** my a** and I have a 2007 MDX I will never buy from Acura again..I paid $39.500 for my RL back in Nov of last year and I see the Accord v6 is around $30,000 I still will be mad at Acura..

P.S. I love the RL I have 17000 miles and loving it so far!!
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I doubt very much the 08 Accord handles like the RL equipped with SH-AWD. Plus the probably numerous other luxuries the RL has (upgraded leather and other materials) that the Accord does not. Same platform, different cars. The previous Accord was on the same platform as the TL, but not many thought it was comparable to it.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    I was looking at specs for the Legend and was surprised to see a few things.

1995 Legend (2008 Accord)
    Length: 194.9" (194.1")
    Width: 71.3" (72.7")
    Height: 55.1" (58.1")
    Wheelbase: 114.6" (110.1")
    Wheel: P215/55/R16 (P225/50/R17)
    Curb Weight: 3616 lb (3600 lb)
    Engine: 3.2 V6 (3.5 V6)
    Max Power: 230 HP (268 HP)
    Max Torque: 206 lb-ft (248 lb-ft)
    EPA fuel economy rating: 18/23 (22/32)*

So, the new Accord is actually almost identical to the old Legend in exterior dimensions (a little shorter, but wider and taller), and weighs about the same. These family sedans have come a long way.

* Older standard. Under new rating system, 16/21 (19/29).
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Nice comparison. Thanks. I think the 95 Legend was a great looking car. The 08 Accord is nice, but not as nice. But otherwise it's interesting how close those two cars are. But the Accord gets significantly higher mpg.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    Check this out: Honda Accord and Acura RL–Guess Which is Bigger?

(Thanks to moparbad who posted this link over in Midsize Sedans.)
  • golfrskigolfrski Member Posts: 262
    If you take the new Accord agressive design/styling, size and interior space and features (bluetooth, heated seast and mirrors, day/night mirror,17" wheels,leather upgrades, XM, Duel Climate, not to mention the new ACE Body structure and safety improvements in the EXL-V6 w/ Navi model and stack it up against the current RL there is no choice..... get the Accord. NOW when Acura beefs up the RL to the planned V8 and larger with updated features then we may be talking a diff story, but that aint happenin too quickly, late 09/early 2010

Like the previous post this article says it all.... dont waste your money on the RL (at least not now)..

http://news.windingroad.com/car-buying/unlikely-archrivals-honda-accord-and-acur- a-rl-guess-which-is-bigger/
    Keep in mind folks that with the new 08 V6 VCM engine, you may find yourself secretly driving a 4 Cyl most of the time, heck even a 3 cyl...
    Your comment would have made sense BEFORE the 08 EXL-V6 came out... now that it has and I have one.. I will tell you that it is absolutely as refined and in many respects better... its missing the AWD and thats about it... listen go sit in the back seat up an RL and if you are over 5'6" tall.....duck. You will notice inset concave divots in the headliner above you.. that so you can actually fit your head in the car .. the roof line slopes to a degree that the headliner space they created is a must. In the accord a similar design, however LOADS more room.. by far a better car interior in every respect... the other thing that is really nice is that Accord allow a pull down back seat. now its not 60/40 and thats a drag but you can use a ski pass through AND bring the whole seat down for hauling that new rake you bought at loews to gather all these fall leaves.. fat chance with the RL its a fixed rear seat... everytime I turn around I see another thing the RL lacks and the EXl-V6 offers.... Like I have said many times in other posts this car is a no-brainer.
    The Accord EXL-V6 is a no brainer... juts be aware of the VCM engine and how it operates and all will be good. 3-4-6 Cyl mgmt system, you'll feel the diff over time. Great car though.
    You guys are dead-on... the 08 Accord looks NOTHING like a Saturn.. only comparison is the amount of rings the new Accord will cricle around its competitors! GolfrSki
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    and thats a drag but you can use a ski pass through AND bring the whole seat down for hauling that new rake you bought at loews to gather all these fall leaves.

And if you put the rake in handle first, you can just use the pass through instead of lowering the whole seat. ;)
    Thanks Copernicus. ;)
  • musicislifemusicislife Member Posts: 16
    I can see where the Accord could be the 'everyman's' RL, which is probably just the position Honda wants the Accord to be in. I would hope the RL is a lot more refined though. My '08 EX-L is the loudest car (interior noise while driving) I've had since my VW Beetle back in the 70's. My '81 Olds Cutlass, '88 Nissan Stanza and '96 Toyota Camry all had a quieter drive than this car.
This discussion has been closed.