Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Should I buy a used Honda Odyssey?

2»

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    And that will show up on a Car Fax.

Later, when you go to sell it, that might scare some people away.

Some people look for reasons NOT to buy cars and that could do it.

My guess would be they bought it back to rid themselves of a pesky customer. The kind that takes thier hands off the wheel and when the car has a slight drift to the right which is normal, they think it PULLS to the right.

The customer probably kept hounding the service department to the point they bought it just to get rid of the headache.

That would be my guess anyway. I'm sure it'll be fine.
  • javed13javed13 Member Posts: 6
    So we were initially going to get a 2009 Odyssey but we've decided to look into used 2007 EX-L models.

Does the 2007 have the camera feature that is standard in the 2008 & 2009 EX-L models also standard in the 2007?

Also, we want to make sure that the 2007's also have the ability to seat 8 like the 08 and 09. The one I saw did have seating for 8. Is it true for all of them?
  • goandgogoandgo Member Posts: 4
    What are the comparative pros and cons for purchasing any of the following:
    1) New 2009 Honda Odyssey EX L (DVD, leather seats)
    2) Used 2007 EX L (leather, no DVD, 23K miles). $9K less than the 2009
    3) Used 2007 Dodge Caravan SXT. (Fully loaded, leather, DVD, 20K miles) for $5K less than the 2007 Honda ($14K less than the 2009 Honda).

All of the above seem to be in excellent condition.

Is it better to buy the new van that is more expensive, the used Honda that might not last as long as the new one (and doesn't have the desired DVD player) but is less expensive?
    The Dodge is much less expensive than the Hondas and looks nice, but would I be throwing my money away?
  • dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    Questions:

1. Do they all fit your body well and meet your driving style?

2. How much warranty is left on them?

3. How long do you plan to keep it?

4. How will you use it - kids, hauling, towing, etc.?
    1. Yes, they all fit my body and meet my driving style.
    2. The new Honda will have a 36K mile warranty. The 2007 Honda has 13K miles left on its warranty. The 2007 Caravan has 16K left, and I believe a lifetime powertrain warranty (the dealer is checking on that.)
    3. I will keep the car until the repair costs outweigh the overall vehicle's value.
    4. I will mainly be toting kids around town in it. I also will do about 2 long distance trips a year.

Thanks!
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    for $9K less than the '09, the 2007 Odyssey seems like a pretty good deal. You can head over to Best Buy or an audio store and have a DVD system installed in the car for under $1000, so even if you pay the dealer's asking price on the '07, you're still pretty ahead of the '09.

Between the 2007 Honda and the 2007 Dodge, I think you can't go wrong. The Grand Caravan may be cheaper, but I personally feel the Honda is the better van and is worth the premium, although the lower up front price is very appealing.
    Thank you for your response! Your comments are very helpful. I'm looking at the Best Buy site now.
  • bobber1bobber1 Member Posts: 217
    You'll get Stability Control with the Honda's and you won't with that year Dodge. Huge safety feature which I would not go without.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    not all 2007 Grand Caravans came with side curtain airbags, but all 2007 Odysseys did.

I think on the Grand Caravans to get side curtains that year you had to skip the sunroof or something. Or they weren't available at all, I can't remember. Can anyone clarify?
  • dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    People have some great input! I personally want as much safety as I can buy, as I am not the world's best driver, but better than some I see on the roads.

Our kids have to be protected by us, but that is a choice you need to make as to how much.
  • toyojunktoyojunk Member Posts: 19
    Buy the NEW 2009 Odyssey EX-L and get the full warranty + factory installed DVD. $ 9,000 less for a 2 year old vehicle with NO DVD and 23 K miles is NOT a good deal.

You would NOT be throwing your money away on a 2007 Caravan SXT....or a 2007 GRAND Caravan SXT. Have you looked at 2009 GC SXT's yet?

The Honda 2009 Odyssey EX (cloth) is my 1st choice, but no vehicle is perfect. :shades:
  • wolf1_owolf1_o Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I'm just before buying a used certified odyssey: I have a quote for 2007 EX, 42000 miles, for ~19K. (max will be 19300), and for a 2006 EX, same milage, for 18.5K.

I'd appreciate comments and recomendation for:
    1. are the prices i got fair? (good?high?). both cars are 1owner, excellent shape etc.
    2. I of course thinking on going on the 2007 one. Should i consider the 2006?

Both prices were higher by at least 2000$ before negotiation...

I intend to buy it in a day or two: i'd appreciate your comments on this matter.

Thanks!
  • doggrandmadoggrandma Member Posts: 144
    You might look at prices at carmax.com and see what they charge. Since that is a no-haggle price, I think they tend to be somewhat high, but it will give you an idea of whether the prices you have been quoted are really too high.
  • danrsdanrs Member Posts: 3
    Thinking of buying my first minivan. Considering EX or EXL of year models 2005, 2006, and 2007 to get into my price range. Possibly haul 8 from time to time, but not often and not that long of a distance. Mostly haul from 3 to 5 people. Age of owner's will be in low 40's.

Which year model is the best to buy and why? Any year model to avoid?

Thanks
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    There's no real difference between these model years (except, IIRC, that a telescoping steering wheel was added in '07).

Some might suggest that '05 models are somewhat less desirable due to the number of TSBs for that first year of the third generation Odyssey. My view is that whatever issues a particular vehicle may have had likely have already been addressed.

Bear in mind that these units have high resale prices. Inasmuch as one can buy a new '10 EX for less than 26K, you might want to at least consider that route.
  • danrsdanrs Member Posts: 3
    There's no real difference between these model years (except, IIRC, that a telescoping steering wheel was added in '07).

Some might suggest that '05 models are somewhat less desirable due to the number of TSBs for that first year of the third generation Odyssey. My view is that whatever issues a particular vehicle may have had likely have already been addressed.

Inasmuch as one can buy a new '10 EX for less than 26K, you might want to at least consider that route given the high prices of used ones.
  • sandi22sandi22 Member Posts: 1
    We are in the market for a used Odyssey. Less than 40,000 miles...if possible. How much on a price can you usually get a dealer to come down? $500, $1000...more than that?

For example, if the car was listed for $26,000...what would be your first offer?

Thanks so much!
    When you can buy a brand new Odyssey for less than $26,000, why buy used?
  • ods2010ods2010 Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2010
    Need to decide
    Choice 1) Less than 30K miles, 2007 to 2010 EX-L with backup camera and DVD.

Choice2) New 2010 EX-L with rear DEV (backup camera is std)

In bayarea (CA) I am not finding any choices used in 2008 to 2010.
    There are a few 2007 coming up. they have 22,000 to 32,000 miles and cost around $24,500 + tax. (10% fee).

What will be cost of a new 2010 EX-L with rear DVD ?
    I am getting quotes for 31,000 + tax = 34,000

If you suggest go for used car, where can i get orginal Honda Care extended warrenty for 2007 Odyssey wth say 35,000 miles on it.

My breakpoint between the choices is around $10,000 difference.
    ready to drive around already usedup Van, if it saves me $10,000. but at the same time need a warrenty coverage too
    :confuse:
    Thank you everyone.
    :confuse:
    You may be able to do a bit better on the price of a new one with 30 even being the target and 30.5 more realistic.

You should be able to MUCH better on an '07, especially from a private party. There's one on craigslist here in Columbus right now with an asking price of 21.5, IIRC.

I will say this about the '10 EX-L I just bought. It is better screwed together than my '05 Touring was and seems to ride even softer than my dad's '06 EX-L.
  • xs111xs111 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I've looked at a 2007 Odyssey EXL with 114000 miles, everything seems to be okay(test drove it).
    What kind of potential issues /problems are reported with this year model.
    What's your advise on buying this vehicle with a such high miles (used car dealer)
    It still has the original transmission.
    it's priced around 15K.
    I'm not planning on buying any extended warranties

Please advise ... Thanks in advance
    There are not, as far as I know, any problems specific to the '07 Odyssey. However, third generation Odysseys in general have been subject to a variety of TSBs. Also, motor mount failure on VCM models (of which the EX-L is one) have been reported.

High miles don't bother me if there is an appropriately corresponding reduction in price and the vehicle has been a one owner. Bear in mind though that the price hit for the miles won't be as much as it might be for certain other makes. You might take a look at completed sales on ebay to get an idea of value.

You might want to check to make sure the timing belt has been changed - it was due at 105K.
  • manvan2011manvan2011 Member Posts: 2
    I am waiting for October/November to come this year, in hopes that I will be able to deal a 07 with around 50K down to 18K

;)
  • rputtaguntarputtagunta Member Posts: 20
    edited September 2010
    Just wanted to throw this out there for people looking to buy a used Odyssey.

I just bought a 2007 Odyssey Touring edition with 50K miles for 25K out-the-door. The tires have a whole lot of tread left on them too.

I am loving it so far. This is my second honda and just hoping it wouldn't let me down.

PS: It's Honda certified.
  • xs111xs111 Member Posts: 2
  • tiffanychengtiffanycheng Member Posts: 2
    We want to purchase a Honda Odyssey and are trying to decide between a new or old car. I found a used 2010 EX listed at $27000. It has 18000 miles on it. What would be a good price for this car to make it worth it to get a newly used vehicle?

How much do you think i can bargain down on it?

Thanks!
  • kvn1kvn1 Member Posts: 52
    are you kidding me? 27k for used EX 2010?, with 2k-2.5k more you can buy a brand new 2011 EX every where now.

if you can bargain down to 20-22k for used EX 2010 then it sounds ok. Check trade-in value then you should buy from an owner instead of from dealer.
  • roo5terroo5ter Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at purchasing a minivan for my growing family and I've read that the Odyssey is one of the best for reliability. My budget is $10-12k max. I do tend to put high miles on vehicles; I currently have a Subaru Forester with 220k miles (which I purchased with 101k).

For my price range, the 2004 is really my best fit. However, I keep reading horror stories about the transmissions, although Consumer Reports states that the main tranny issues occur from the 99-2003 models. Is the 2004 a safe year to purchase with this in mind? I can probably go for a 2005, but I would rather not because the prices seem to stretch to around $13-14k.

Secondly, the used models I'm looking for tend to have between 90-110k miles. Is there any fear of buying an Ody with high mileage? Anything I should look for?
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    We have an '02 that we purchased new and recently turned 137k miles. While you may hear negative comments, we had a terrific ownership experience.

Early models with the 5 spd tranny had an oil starvation problem, and ours was replaced with a unit with the internally modified 2nd gear oil jet at around 35k miles. The only other failure in 9 years was a transmission neutral safety switch (that manifested itself as a power door problem due to the shift interlock). I believe it was cracked, and was probably damaged when they replaced the tranny and moved parts between units.

On March 5th we bought a Toyota Sienna. I spent a good part of last Sunday afternoon detailing the Honda in preparation for selling it. I even started working on a window sign, but 3 days later I'm still driving and enjoying it, in no hurry to hang the For Sale notice up. The Sienna rides smoother and is more quiet & refined, but the Honda still outhandles it and is simply more engaging to drive.

Frankly, I think a well maintained '04 could prove to be a great vehicle. It was the end of the run, and most of the bugs were resolved. By comparison, there were probably more complaints about the '05 models as they were a complete redesign and suffered some first year issues.
  • sww2sww2 Member Posts: 9
    Don't even think about and walk away. The transmssion is this car is guaranteed to fail and you get pay a heflty price to repair.
  • scottinkyscottinky Member Posts: 194
    edited August 2011
    I had the chance to buy an EXL with 152K on it today for $5200 on the road from a dealer. Van looked to be in excellent condition. Had the previous owners info as well. However, I walked away from it, fearing the worst after researching these vans for countless hours. Just didn't feel like buying a ticking time bomb. I am looking at a 2004 Sienna instead. did I make the right call? It was a great price on a clean unit.
  • roo5terroo5ter Member Posts: 2
  • 147haiba147haiba Member Posts: 1
    I don't know if my car has defection but honda odyssey has a lot of problem. Power steering problem, now coolant system, My car 2006, 112K. Coolant leak via holes on the pipe which I don't know. When found out the temperature needed reach the highest on freeway. They recall and fix the power steering and other thing which I don't really know. Now I complaint about the coolant leak. I dont know other car. But Odyssey is the worst car I have had.
  • hondaslohondaslo Member Posts: 1
    Unless you know the complications with the sliding doors in advance. They are a nightmare. I had one of the sliding doors fixed once at $300 cost. It happened again two days ago but WORSE...the entire DOOR came off the tracks and literally fell off the side of the car!!!! My 8 week old was in her car seat right next to it. Had three kids total in the car. I was shocked and it was actually very dangerous as it fell into oncoming traffic. The local Honda dealer was very accommodating and wanted to help but when it came time to talk to Honda Customer Service what I found out shocked me. I gave them all of my info and was very polite and then the customer service guys says "no." "We wont help you." I asked to speak with his supervisor and this is what shocked me more--smugly responds "no" give be a good reason and I will. I was frankly shocked at the customer service. Would not Honda want to deal with this issue? I don't think Honda would want to know how Honda America is treating their customers. This whole outfit is a sham which I never expected from such a large company with so many other competitors in the marketplace. I will not buy a Honda Odyssey or Honda again--go with the Toyota Sienna!!!!!!! I was on the fence but now I will sell this Odyssey and buy the Siena!!!!!!